Cheapest place to buy Gillette Razor Blades? Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Dec 2012 11:40:15 4,125 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Go for the DE mate, you won't look back. As mentioned, it's a slightly different technique, but only took me 2 or 3 attempts to get it down.

As for cutting yourself, I've literally nicked myself once in the 7 or 8 months I've been using the DE (and that was because I was having a conversation through the bathroom door!). Hygiene/irritation-wise, with the cartridge razors i used to come out looking like a patchwork quilt of red and purple, with DE i get literally zero irritation.

It'll take a few goes to find out which blades suit your face, but a sampler pack is a fun way to experiment. Razor-wise, Edwin Jagger, Merkur and Muhle are all fairly similar and any of their razors costing 25+ will do you a lifetime.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Dec 2012 11:41:44 4,125 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish

Oh, nice razor! That was on my shortlist when i was picking mine out. Where do you get the Merkur blades from, haven't tried them yet?
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Dec 2012 11:52:52 7,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As well as getting a good razor and blades you should also spend a bit of time finding the right shaving soap or cream. No need to use that nasty spray can stuff.

Edwin Jagger do some really nice products but there are plenty of other brands. They can seem expensive (100ml of Edwin Jagger cream comes in at about 12-15) but they last much, much longer. According to my Amazon order history I bought the tub I'm using now in January...

@FuzzyDuck

Amazon. They're about 6.

Last time I bought some noticed you can get a 100 pack of Derby blades for 8! Bargainous. They'd last an age.

@mattigan

Chance it'll last more than 20 years. A good quality DE razor is a lifetime purchase. There's actually a market for antique razors, once they're cleaned up they work good as new.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 11:59:28 21-12-2012
  • henro_ben 21 Dec 2012 12:07:49 2,216 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

@mattigan

Chance it'll last more than 20 years. A good quality DE razor is a lifetime purchase. There's actually a market for antique razors, once they're cleaned up they work good as new.
    Indeed, mine's over 60 years old, use it every day & still works fine. Mind you, there's not actually much to go wrong with a razor!
  • oceanmotion 21 Dec 2012 12:22:14 15,926 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When I ran out of shaving foam once, I resorted to the soap which resulted in a fantastic shave, even with well used blades. I think we get bombarded with advertising so much you don't even think something simple like soap, which is obviously what men long ago used when shaving, works great. Sure there is better soaps than others but the one I used was great, buttermilk soap I think it was.
  • henro_ben 21 Dec 2012 12:45:09 2,216 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use both sides i.e. for alternative strokes so the blade wears equally, but I guess you could use one side until it goes blunt then the other if you want to.

Can't answer your other question, but can tell you it was a bugger shaving round my moustache for movember - used a bic for that bit ;-)
  • cubbymoore 21 Dec 2012 13:50:42 36,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I only use a beard trimmer normally but I'd obviously not thought to charge it last week and with one side of my face done the battery ran out! It takes about 5 hours to charge up again (and I had to go out pretty soon) before I could use it so I searched round the bathroom cabinet desperately looking for a razor and found a really old 3 blade that I'd already started using probably six months ago.

Trying to use that on two weeks of growth was horrible, it pretty much became blunt after only a few strokes. Easily the worst shave of my life. Wish I had a cut throat or even a DE then as I was having to pick the clogged up hair every time just so I could possibly cut a bit more off with the next stroke. They really are rubbish unless you shave every single day.
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Dec 2012 13:57:10 7,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bonus: DE razors are manly as fuck. First of all it's a bare blade, which is obviously badass, but there's a nice raaasp as it goes over your whiskers which is really satisfying.

• SuperBas 21 Dec 2012 17:41:12 1,452 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just reading this thread, a DE is only 10 more expensive than a pack of Fusion blades. Can you use a DE for the stubble you have every morning, or does it only work on longer beard grow? And can it just be sharpened like a knife when it's dull?

Edited by SuperBas at 17:41:49 21-12-2012
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Dec 2012 18:22:47 7,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Just reading this thread, a DE is only €10 more expensive than a pack of Fusion blades. Can you use a DE for the stubble you have every morning, or does it only work on longer beard grow? And can it just be sharpened like a knife when it's dull?
    Yeah, you can use it for stubble, like any other razor. I guess maybe the blades could be sharpened but there's really no point, they're so inexpensive.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Dec 2012 18:31:18 4,125 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SuperBas

Think you're mixing up double edge (safety razors) razors:

With straight (cut throat) razors:

Safety razors (so called because they're 'safe' relative to cut throats) use disposable blades. I use one blade per shave (I shave once a week, but some brands are sufficiently sharp to go through a month's growth) as the blades are ridiculously cheap and super hygienic, which contributes to the zero irritation that i experience.

Cut throats can be used for pretty much all growth lengths. I've a mate who uses one and says that the time I spend on shopping and changing DE blades is the equivalent time he spends maintaining and stropping his straight to keep sharp. A decent straight once stropped correctly could last you decades.
  • jonsaan 21 Dec 2012 18:35:16 25,352 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No need to get stroppy mate.

FCUTA!

• FuzzyDuck 21 Dec 2012 18:35:35 4,125 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish

Nice, might order a few Merkurs next time I'm shopping on Amazon. Anyone try the Tesco own brand DE blades? Think they're made by Personna, and are actually decent if you're waiting on blades in the post.

Also, manly-man-shaving thread hijack! \o/
  • kentmonkey 21 Dec 2012 19:45:44 20,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, I've gone from 'tempted' to 'getting one' after Chrimbo.
  • mrpon 21 Dec 2012 19:49:25 28,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm getting a Mick Dundee vibe from Fuzzy.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• kentmonkey 21 Dec 2012 20:51:04 20,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay. What razor is the question now.

Merkur 23C

or Jagger De89bl

Or...something else under or just over 30.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Dec 2012 21:35:46 4,125 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey

Both are good shouts, I'd go for the Jagger as it has a shorter handle (just a personal preference) and it has the same head as my own razor, so can vouch first hand for that.

Some essential viewing for DE newbies and pros alike.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Dec 2012 21:38:12 4,125 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I'm getting a Mick Dundee vibe from Fuzzy.
    Nah, I'm curious about it but don't think I'd be brave enough to try a straight just yet!
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Dec 2012 22:51:45 7,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kentmonkey I prefer the 23C's longer handle, nice build quality too.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next