The Official Athletics Thread

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
  • The-Bodybuilder 25 Aug 2007 13:29:20 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quite suprised there isn't one here. You mean to tell me no one cares about athletics?

    So this will be the thread for all athltics, not just the world champsionship.

    Let's get things started with a couple of questions....

    1. How many medals will GB win?

    2. Who's gonna win? Powell Vs Asafa?

    3. How far will Devonish get?

    4. Who's got the best chance of winning a gold for GB (my guess is Phillips Idowu)
  • Merlinho 26 Aug 2007 14:21:02 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That was Gay.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Aug 2007 21:20:26 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's what I get for making an athletics thread in a games forum.

    A freaking gealic games threa gets more of a hit.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Aug 2007 21:23:38 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess I'm the only on that wanted powell to win.
  • Dougs 26 Aug 2007 21:24:37 67,025 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't follow athletics as much as I used to, mainly as we're a little bit rubbish. Kelly Sotherton picked up our first medal (bronze) in the Heptathlon. And was scathing of the silver medallist that has just returned from a drugs ban!
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Aug 2007 21:45:22 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    One word. Jo Pavey. Two words even.

    Heah, she did well along with Sutherland (still not sure how she got a broze after those ridiculous javlin throws).

    Pickering did well to get to the semis in his first ever world tourny. Shame about Lewis-Francis.

    I'm still so very annoyed that Gay (lol) beat Powell. Powell needs to fix up and blow him away. A peak Powell is untouchable.

    I'm sick of americans always winning stuff.
  • Trowel 27 Aug 2007 13:50:02 17,533 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Bodybuilder wrote:
    I'm still so very annoyed that Gay (lol) beat Powell.
    I on the other hand put a reasonable sized bet on Gay and won 70 \o/

    USA! USA!
  • TakeTheVeil 27 Aug 2007 14:31:37 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    anyone watch the Ladies 100m sprint.. fucking classic race..
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Aug 2007 22:43:31 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TakeTheVeil wrote:
    anyone watch the Ladies 100m sprint.. fucking classic race..

    I actually missd that.
  • TwistidChimp 27 Aug 2007 22:45:05 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only bit of the athletics I've seen was some hurdler tripping and smashing his face into one of the hurdles. Which looked rather brutal. Who was he and has he now recovered ?
  • Youthist 30 Aug 2007 13:07:31 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What about this cheating british athlete that just won 400m gold? And now everyone is like "aaawww - she should lbe allowed to run in teh olympics - the poor soul!. Look at her she is british and she is great!!

    Er no. She is a cheat. She missed THREE fucking drug tests through "absentmindedness". DO ME A FUCKING FAVOUR.

    If she were american we would be crucifying her for even running in Japan, let alone celebrating her "victory" and pushing to get her re-instated into the Olympics.

    And Katheryn Merry (someone who was without doubt "on it" herself during her career) was yesteday saying "she should be allowed into the Olympics. Missing a drug test and failing a drug test are NOT the same thing."

    lol - er - yeah ok.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 13:15:24
    Well, she isn't exactly wrong...
  • Youthist 30 Aug 2007 13:15:57 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Well, she isn't exactly wrong...

    Yes but seriously.....one test i can "possibly accept". 3 times? She was clearly hiding something.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 13:18:40
    Well, 3 of 5 tests, so she was still tested.

    Apparently, anyway.
  • Genji 30 Aug 2007 13:20:20 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Japanese media here makes a huge deal out of all the Japanese contestants, even though they're (mostly) useless. It's the same in all countries, though.

    I saw the 3000m women's steeplechase on Sunday. One runner collapsed from heatstroke, and another Japanese runner caught her back knee on one of the hurdles and fell face-first. That really looked painful.
  • X201 30 Aug 2007 13:23:14 15,228 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The UK has the most draconian drugs testing policy in the World. If you're not where you've told them you would be at the exact moment the testers arrive it counts as a missed test. They don't phone you to ask you where you are or if you're going to be a few minutes late, it's a missed test, end of story.

    Sitting in the garden and not hearing someone knock your front door = Missed drugs test
    Arriving somewhere a couple of minutes late = missed drugs test


  • Fozzie_bear 30 Aug 2007 13:33:27 15,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    The UK has the most draconian drugs testing policy in the World. If you're not where you've told them you would be at the exact moment the testers arrive it counts as a missed test. They don't phone you to ask you where you are or if you're going to be a few minutes late, it's a missed test, end of story.

    Sitting in the garden and not hearing someone knock your front door = Missed drugs test
    Arriving somewhere a couple of minutes late = missed drugs test



    But that's not quite the same as telling UK Athletics that you'll be at one venue and then going somewhere else. Especially daft when you know that miss 3 and you're out, and you've already missed two.

    1 i can understand, 2 is looking careless, but 3 is looking rather dodgy.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • Whizzo 30 Aug 2007 13:34:43 43,061 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The drugs obviously gave her amnesia.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Youthist 30 Aug 2007 13:35:26 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmm yes, maybe. But I dont buy all this missing 3 tests business, I really don't. Your agents / trainers / advisers just would not let it happen if it happened twice already, or even once, they would be all over it. This is her life we are talking about, I dont buy that you just "forgot again".
    I admit the process is a mess, but you as the athlete have to stay within the boundaries of that mess if you want to be clean and proven clean.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • Fozzie_bear 30 Aug 2007 13:49:30 15,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    This is her life we are talking about, I dont buy that you just "forgot again".

    Exactly - if your entire livelihood is based around attending these tests then you'd have to be spectacularly stupid to 'forget' to attend them three times.

    Rio Ferdinand is excused for missing his drugs test because he, quite clearly, is spectacularly stupid.

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • FairgroundTown 30 Aug 2007 13:54:02 2,522 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    This is her life we are talking about, I dont buy that you just "forgot again".

    Exactly - if your entire livelihood is based around attending these tests then you'd have to be spectacularly stupid to 'forget' to attend them three times.

    Rio Ferdinand is excused for missing his drugs test because he, quite clearly, is spectacularly stupid.
    And he only missed one test. She missed (count 'em) ONE, TWO, THREE. After the first one, she would have been told "you have only two more chances". After the second one she would have been told "if you miss another one you are completely f****d - you entire life, dreams, career - all f****d. DO NOT MISS ANOTHER TEST. BE WHERE YOU SAID YOU WOULD BE AT ALL TIMES. DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES. DO NOT EVEN GO INTO THE GARDEN WHERE YOU CAN'T HEAR THE DOORBELL." And yet, somehow, she forgot. Sorry, but she didn't "forget" - she had something to hide. Full stop.
  • The-Bodybuilder 1 Sep 2007 00:50:41 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    The UK has the most draconian drugs testing policy in the World. If you're not where you've told them you would be at the exact moment the testers arrive it counts as a missed test. They don't phone you to ask you where you are or if you're going to be a few minutes late, it's a missed test, end of story.

    Sitting in the garden and not hearing someone knock your front door = Missed drugs test
    Arriving somewhere a couple of minutes late = missed drugs test



    But that's not quite the same as telling UK Athletics that you'll be at one venue and then going somewhere else. Especially daft when you know that miss 3 and you're out, and you've already missed two.

    1 i can understand, 2 is looking careless, but 3 is looking rather dodgy.

    You do know that the intended venue (Mile End) was in use, so she went to Crystal Palace.

    She failed 3 out of 5 drug test (she passed 2), and as others have mentioned, the UK has some crazy rules.

    People need to first UNDERSTAND the rules before they start judging her.

    She may have missed 3 tests, but fact is also that everytime she has been tested (and I'm sure most athletes were testing for the compeition as well), she has passed ALL OF THEM. EVERY SINGLE ONE (even during the suspension).

    Why don't call her a cheat if she fails one. Until then...
  • ilmaestro 1 Sep 2007 01:34:08 32,407 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    The drugs obviously gave her amnesia.
    glol.

    That Allyson Felix, eh? I have to be fair, I'd hit it - if I could catch her.

    4235

  • heyyo 1 Sep 2007 01:46:06 14,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you drunk man?

    She looks like crazy frog
  • ilmaestro 1 Sep 2007 01:48:09 32,407 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She's alright as long as she doesn't move her face too much, plus she has teh awesome body.

    4235

  • Futaba 1 Sep 2007 04:14:34 3,496 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I fell in love with that Czech javelin gold medalist today :[

    Anyone got her address?

    As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

  • spazmo 2 Sep 2007 13:28:15 2,757 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The most annoying mother son combo ever?
  • ilmaestro 2 Sep 2007 21:30:18 32,407 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh dear me yes!

    I have to say, though, not only does he look really Italian, he has the most Italian sounding name ever.

    4235

  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Sep 2007 16:40:12 14,114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So......

    I'm I the only one that's perplexed as to how GB winning 5 medals is "great"?
  • ilmaestro 3 Sep 2007 16:44:09 32,407 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Because we only finished a little way behind Ethiopia and the Bahamas, clearly two countries who have every reason to have more sporting success than GB and its millions upon millions of pounds wasted in lottery grants...

    4235

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply