Empire: Total War Page 54

• Page

of 54 First / Last

Next
  • Ducklord 26 Nov 2010 14:22:40 190 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, is it worth buying this for a tenner in the EG deal? Or is it way too broken to be enjoyable?
  • Jeepers 26 Nov 2010 14:25:25 13,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd vote yes. It is a little broken in places, but the good bits are excellent whilst the bad are mostly just a little annoying.

For a tenner you can't really go wrong.
  • Articulate-Troll 26 Nov 2010 14:26:41 3,101 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's great. Haven't played it for a while but it should have had plenty of patches by now.
  • cianchristopher 26 Nov 2010 14:42:30 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This game still crashes my PC at the exact same spot (start a naval battle, move one ship, PC crashes, hard reset) all the time...

Just to see, a few months back I formatted my hard drive, re-installed Windows, installed the Steam client and downloaded just this game. I did absolutely nothing else to the PC at all.

It still crashed, at the exact same point.

How... the... fuck... is... that... even... possible???

In terms of value for money, it's the absolute worst game I've ever bought in my entire life (and I've bought thousands).

I really hope Creative Assembly go under, fuck those assholes...
  • Lukey__b 26 Nov 2010 14:44:34 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Last patch completely wrecked my game and many others. It crashes after every other battle, losing the results of the battle as a result.

Is a good game if it runs though.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• figgis 26 Nov 2010 15:54:45 7,376 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Darth Mod is supposed to be pretty good for this, fixes a lot of gameplay inconsistencies.
  • Tabasco 26 Nov 2010 18:10:00 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ducklord wrote:
    Hmm, is it worth buying this for a tenner in the EG deal? Or is it way too broken to be enjoyable?
    Tenner on steam now too...
  • SmarmLord 26 Nov 2010 19:23:35 8 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've noticed that the E:TW/Napoleon games are prone to crashing if you've OC'd your cpu.
    I've had a 90% crash rate on these games,until I updated my Bios-which re-set all my oc options in the bios to default.Since then,I've had no crashes.

Odd I know,but might be worth checking it out.
  • Trafford 28 Nov 2010 17:54:09 5,877 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played about 200 hours combined on Empire and Napoleon.Never had a crash once.
    Loved playing the short campaigns,so many great moments in history to enact.

Never did get round to playing a British campaign.One for these long frosty nights I think
  • Ducklord 29 Nov 2010 18:40:42 190 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bought it in the steam sale in the end, and loving it so far! No crashes as of yet, only grievance is the occasional stupidity of cannons- something I can most certainly live with! :)
  • urban 29 Nov 2010 18:51:43 10,977 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ace game is Ace
  • MrSensible 3 Feb 2013 11:39:33 25,212 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing this at the moment after picking up the entire series on Steam. Does anybody have any sort of standard tips for someone new to Total War? I feel like I'm just kind of accidently winning most of the time so far. I don't really understand the tactics, I panic, then end up making everyone charge! :D
  • Deleted user 3 February 2013 11:55:01
    Jealous.
  • Metalfish 3 Feb 2013 12:09:26 8,830 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Basic tips:
    * cavalry are great as long as they're not being shot at, keep some handy to cover your arse, or use them to punish enemy guns out in the open. Never charge them directly anything likely to get a good shot at them, and cowardly tactics are needed for your horsey-types to last very long.
    * Big guns are bloody lethal. Mix them in between (but not behind unless they're howizters or mortars) your troops, switch them to canister shot when the enemy approaches your line and you'll never lose to an equal force advancing on you.
    * Vary your line shape. Draw then enemy into attacking something disposable and then have your better chaps concentrate fire.

And finally: he who has the most arty dictates how the battle is fought.
  • MrSensible 3 Feb 2013 12:47:42 25,212 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks! I'll try and stick to some of that for now. It's easier said than done though - as someone new to this, it seems a bit... not slow as such, but like the troops kind of just don't react to what I'm ordering them to do. Or, if they do, it takes forever! Just need to get used to it I think.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2013 12:59:29
    So, I've got a 3 core Intel 2 GHz processsor with 4 gig ram. Laptop. What budget.graphics card would I need to run this game on?
  • RedSparrows 3 Feb 2013 13:05:43 23,262 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Might be hard to put a new GPU in a laptop...
  • Stickman 3 Feb 2013 14:28:52 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buy the most expensive one on the market.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Trafford 3 Feb 2013 15:45:48 5,877 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @thefilth
    Use basic line tactics, horsemen/Dragoons on flanks.
    Learn to use Skirmisher troops.
    You can pause the battles and set orders.
    I played a lot of short campaigns, more focus. Don't expand too fast.
  • andytheadequate 27 Feb 2013 14:25:31 8,267 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I absolutely love this game, been playing a ridiculous amount over the last few days. The only thing I don't like is the objectives for the long games. I understand why they have them for shorter campaigns but I just want to go off and do my own thing. On my current play through I'm trying to secure all of the American continent with Britain, but haven't even touched India yet.

Is it worth playing Napoleon TW if I already own Empire? I've heard they are fairly similar
  • Trafford 27 Feb 2013 15:44:20 5,877 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Napoleon is fairly different, shorter history focused campaigns that lead up to the big one.
    The Penninsular war dlc is cool , and check out the Zulu wars mod!
    Highly stylised graphics, looks gorgeous. Some really cool infantry units also.
    Well worth a play.
  • Page

of 54 First / Last

Next