• Page

of 54 First / Last

• Deleted user 22 June 2009 21:02:24
    /slaps forehead

Of course! It seems so simple now!
  • Hunam 22 Jun 2009 21:04:05 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And you, you're a frigate who has finished off all but one fleeing ship, so you are told to break formation and attack, but you can't quite decided to show port or starboard, so you just slowly approach whilst wiggling around and then give up and just sail east.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2009 21:31:57
    /still just auto-resolves navel battles so has no idea what Hunam is banging on about
  • dsmx 22 Jun 2009 21:32:10 7,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AI still isn't that smart. I attack a town that had 3 full strength armies defending it, I had a 3/4 strength army attacking. The AI units were 3/4 cavalry rest were infantry, mine was 3 groups of cannon, 2 groups of cavalry and the rest line infantry.

So there I am fighting a battle outnumbered 4-5 to 1 and I place 1 group of line infantry in a warehouse. My whole army was wiped out except for this one group of line infantry in the warehouse who killed about 500 cavalry. They ran out of ammo so I waited until time ran out and won. Why on earth did the AI build so much cavalry? They must of had 40-50 cavalry groups.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• CouldntResist 23 Jun 2009 20:33:47 228 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This sums up my experience with ETW and the recent patches nicely (from the Total War Center forums):

-----

Been playing the new patch all night, really disappointed

Extremely lousy campaign AI makes the game really boring. That hasn't changed with the new patch. I don't care about 56 different kinds of "unique" grenadiers with funny hats! I want massive naval invasions, I want rapidly expanding AI empires, I want TOTAL WAR! This is like playing with a bunch of lobotomized sheep. It's worthless.

-----

Agreed. This is what TW were all about. i actually find myself getting bored by the grand campaign- nothing happens! It`s as if the game is waiting for me to play it! Of course, i am playing it, that`s why the game`s there, but I`m not supposed to feel as if the game is waiting for me to make things happen!

This is not how good games work. You feel you are part of a world, not the Player in a world waiting for you to begin.

And this stupid obsession with new units suits CA fine because they can throw these lollipops around and watch the masses thank them on bended knee for not making any effort on CAI. As long as they have their multicoloured X-country Mickey Mouse grenadiers, or lop-sided hat bearded elite unit they simply don`t care about the crap gameplay. Astonishing.
  • CouldntResist 23 Jun 2009 20:35:06 228 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jun 2009 21:02:40 35,556 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Could not possibly disagree more. One of the bugbears of the TW series was that diplomacy didn't work, and everyone left, right and center would attack you, no matter if they stood a chance or not.

Now it's a lot more balanced. Diplomacy and relationships actually work, much weaker enemies won't attack you unless they think they have a chance, etc. If you work for your campaign goals, you'll be in enough wars. Paints a much more accurate picture of the era, too. I don't want the Vatican to conquer America by boat.

For years, people have complained about the M2 campaign AI. Now they've improved it a lot and did what the community always asked for, and people want the old, uselessly aggressive AI back.

Not that I'd agree in general that nothing happens, mind.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2009 21:09:34
    It's almost there in my campaigns - the trouble is more that the AI isn't aggressive enough once it's declared war. The wars are fine, they're just not really followed though - I get a couple of token attacks and then get several turns to build a monster army to steamroller them in retaliation (though that might be a difficulty issue I guess).

Saying that, I rarely actually finish them off - the AI's usually smart enough to open up another front for me to deal with requiring a quick peace treaty and turn-tail.
  • CouldntResist 23 Jun 2009 21:09:45 228 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think they're talking about diplomacy though. It's the lack of initiative of the CAI that is bugging people. Two states might declare war and peace intelligently but it means f$&* all if they don't actually send armies to attack each other. And don't even get me started on the lack of naval invasions.
  • wonton 25 Jun 2009 17:50:35 26 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "And don't even get me started on the lack of naval invasions."

I still remember pre-patch you could empty England of all units and you could never lose, the AI was simply incapable of landing units onto the island.

Post-patch, the situation isn't much better.

I agree with the sentiment on this thread, this game is disappointing. Maybe played for about 10 hours taking over the Indian peninsula. The found out that after taking the objective regions, you then have to play out the remainder of the time period, and I was only half way. which meant more boring auto resolve defending. And on very hard mode there is no incentive to take over your enemies since the campaign AI always declares war on you if you share a border, so there's never any chance of peace. I think this was short campaign as well.

Promptly shelved. TW has simply lost its magic for me:(
  • tincanrocket 25 Jun 2009 17:58:18 2,997 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "my arse is grass, and wonton's got a lawnmower"

Nice username :)

On topic: mods should save ETW, they vastly improved RTW and M2TW. Just a case of waiting
  • Hunam 25 Jun 2009 18:00:36 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some folks at RPS were saying mods are locked out at the moment, seemingly so CA/SEGA can sell some DLC.
  • CouldntResist 25 Jun 2009 19:47:53 228 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Honestly i'm a bit disappointed that EG didn't pick up more on the AI issues, but if i think back to when i started playing, it took me a good 10 hours to realise how broken a lot of things were.

This seems to be one of those games where 'Official' opinion is statistically significantly different to the opinion of the masses. On metacritic, the aggregated review score is 90 whereas the aggregated user score is 6.8. Normally user and official scores are not more than 10 points out. In fact the only other game in recent memory where the two aggregate scores are so divisive is Spore - 84 vs 45.

Which brings me to my slightly long-winded point. It's harder for reviewers to spot flaws in games where you have to put a decent number of hours in. In Spore's case it took a while for people to realise that there wasn't much replay value. In Empire's case, it wasn't obvious that the CAI is heavily deficient in certain aspects until you'd played 100 turns and then realised that nothing was happening unless you instigated it - especially when there is fog of war.
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Aug 2009 12:33:12 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The follow up to this is getting announced today (I think)
  • Hunam 18 Aug 2009 12:35:26 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But this doesn't even work yet.
  • Metalfish 18 Aug 2009 12:37:14 8,818 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Medieval 2 started off with even more game-breakers then Empire, but by the time the exp came out it was very, very, very good (though some of the AI tactics remained slightly questionable).
  • Deleted user 18 August 2009 12:44:25
    Less game-crashers though!

Though I expect that this'll be CA Australia's announcement rather than the UK. Whatever it is...
  • phycus 18 Aug 2009 12:46:31 298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Medieval 2 started off with even more game-breakers then Empire, but by the time the exp came out it was very, very, very good (though some of the AI tactics remained slightly questionable).

Not sure about that, at least in my case I could actually play ME2 when I bought not have it die on me.

tbh i'm waiting for the next update before i give it another go, battle AI needs a huge improvement to make it playable.
  • Articulate-Troll 18 Aug 2009 12:49:34 3,101 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Less game-crashers though!

Though I expect that this'll be CA Australia's announcement rather than the UK. Whatever it is...

It'll be the expansion pack surely?

Never understood the complaints about the game crashing, I've never had any major problems with the game.
  • Hunam 18 Aug 2009 12:52:29 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't understand people getting upset when the game crashes?
  • Deleted user 18 August 2009 12:53:28
    Articulate-Troll wrote:
    Never understood the complaints about the game crashing, I've never had any major problems with the game.
    Neither did I, then I started to get crashes with every battle on a campaign. :)

To be fair, it's probably to do with the fact that I'm pushing the unit sizes and things a bit much, but I don't have time to play the bloody thing to check!
  • Articulate-Troll 18 Aug 2009 13:07:12 3,101 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have the game on full unit size and I use a fairly run-down mid-range PC. I'd check your drivers are up to date and I'd also make sure it's not a problem with your CPU overheating.
  • Hunam 18 Aug 2009 13:14:16 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AT the game has lots of well know/documented crash problems :p
  • Deleted user 18 August 2009 13:14:24
    The most recent patch made a huge difference to performance. I run it all on full and it's very smooth now - whereas before that patch it tended to stutter.
  • Articulate-Troll 18 Aug 2009 13:19:15 3,101 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    AT the game has lots of well know/documented crash problems :p

Practically all PC games have a huge list of unresolved issues/bugs but it doesn't mean they're common. Of course, a game on the scale of Empire will always have more because the range of possible actions makes glitches harder to predict. Having said that, the game has been relatively stable for me, especially since the most recent patch.
  • Hunam 18 Aug 2009 13:20:54 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find that towards the end of a long and bloody campagin, the game will just fall over pretty much all the time on the last turn, leading me to never finish one.
  • Tigerteeth 19 Aug 2009 11:07:36 182 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Napoleon Total War next up - http://www.sega.co.uk/games/napoleon-total-war/

• Hunam 19 Aug 2009 13:37:51 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this an addon then?

I decided to look up on wikipedia to learn a little bit about him. Turns out there are some parallels in history when it comes to modernish empires: Leave Russia the fuck alone.

/takes note
  • Deleted user 19 August 2009 13:42:25
    I believe it's a standalone - though not definite. It strips out a lot of the full strategy and instead provides a focused Napoleonic war campaign that while isn't linear - is more confined from the regular game. The press release makes it sound like it is the first in a new line of Total War games that take this approach, while CA will still continue to make the big grand versions too.
  • Hunam 19 Aug 2009 13:43:43 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh. Fuck this off then.
  • Page

of 54 First / Last