Widescreen in BioShock crops out nearly 1/4 of the image!

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • codmate 21 Aug 2007 10:20:49 13 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a disgrace for those of us playing on widescreen monitors.

Info here:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11658

Express your displeasure here:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113784#post113784

Digg this up:
    http://digg.com/pc_games/Bioshock_has_a_HUGE_widescreen_display_bug_on_both_Xbox_and_PC

Thanks to my widescreen bretheren for your support.
  • codmate 21 Aug 2007 10:29:30 13 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    I find it more likely that it was made for 16:10, and 4:3 just shows extra stuff at the top and bottom.

Please read the link at:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11658

This game is VERT-
    VERT- means that they cropped off the top and bottom of the screen for widescreen gamers, rather than added stuff on the sides.

Not only does this mean that around 22% of the image is gone in widescreen, it also means that a nausea-inducing zoomed-in FOV is used.

Virtually all modern games (FEAR, HL2, DOD:Source - even UT2004) use HOR+ for widescreen support.

HOR+ is what is called 'true widescreen support' - and basically involves adding stuff on at the sides.
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Aug 2007 10:30:29 7,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not just the PC version, 360 is the same apparently.

/slow clap
    Bravo, lads
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Aug 2007 10:33:10 12,740 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah well :)

/adds to cart
  • woodnotes 21 Aug 2007 10:33:30 4,921 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having played the 360 demo, I wouldn't have known.
  • richardiox 21 Aug 2007 10:34:06 5,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why would this happen on one of the biggest releases of the year? Surely developers have accepted Widescreen as the standard format now? Or do we all need to keep 4:3 and 16:9 screens on the ready depending what game we want to play?
  • Deleted user 21 August 2007 10:34:54
    ...or just press the 4:3 button on your remote. ;)
  • darrenb 21 Aug 2007 10:35:27 676 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does that mean running a wide resolution will be possibly smother due to the game actually processing less screen than the 4:3 setting would??
  • woodnotes 21 Aug 2007 10:36:05 4,921 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Well, actually my experience playing the 360 demo was ruined by this, I didn't realise it at the time though.

lol
  • Deleted user 21 August 2007 10:36:32
    So if I put my telly into 4:3 I'll actually see more?

I'm going to try that when I get in.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2007 10:37:49
    boabg wrote:

Telly and Xbox 360 Shirley.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2007 10:39:47
    disussedgenius wrote:
    boabg wrote:

Yeah. If it's cutting stiff off the top and bottom to make it appear in widescreen if I put it into 4:3 I'll see the missing bits?
  • Deleted user 21 August 2007 10:40:45
    boabg wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    boabg wrote:

Yeah. If it's cutting stiff off the top and bottom to make it appear in widescreen if I put it into 4:3 I'll see the missing bits?
    Sounds right to me. Now, get yourself fired or something so we can all find out a bit quicker.
  • codmate 21 Aug 2007 10:42:05 13 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    boabg wrote:

Yes - you will see around 23% more of the game.
  • codmate 21 Aug 2007 10:43:08 13 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Christ, of all the things to get worked up about, nobody gave a flying fuck or even knew it was an issue until some little nerd posted a screenshot about it.

So if you bought a packet of biscuits and they took out 23% of them at the counter because you have a big mouth, you would be OK with that?
  • nickthegun 21 Aug 2007 10:45:01 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You mean im missing a chain link tattoo, a chunky knit sweater and a chandelier?

Cancels pre-order.

Yours Sincerely,

Outraged, Oxford.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• PearOfAnguish 21 Aug 2007 10:47:24 7,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Christ, of all the things to get worked up about, nobody gave a flying fuck or even knew it was an issue until some little nerd posted a screenshot about it.

Why not complain? It's a single setting they need to change, nobody is asking them to reprogram the game.
  • Lexx87 21 Aug 2007 10:49:46 20,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol people are cancelling pre-orders...if no-one mentioned it no-one wold have cared or noticed...

People are gay :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• thedaveeyres 21 Aug 2007 10:49:52 10,686 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I take it it's a slow news day...

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Lexx87 21 Aug 2007 10:50:05 20,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the silly not homosexal tense of course

Speak the truth hussy!

• nickthegun 21 Aug 2007 10:51:57 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose it would depend on if you knew how many biscuits were in there in the first place or if someone burst into tescos screaming 'THEY REMOVE 23% OF THE HOBNOBS!!! PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!!!11!! GET OFF ME!! I WILL NOT BE SILENCED!!!'.

He totally called it

• thedaveeyres 21 Aug 2007 10:54:01 10,686 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I suppose it would depend on if you knew how many bisuits were in their in the first place or if someone burst into tescos screaming 'THEY REMOVE 23% OF THE HOBNOBS!!! PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!!!11!! GET OFF ME!! I WILL NOT BE SILENCED!!!'.

As founder member of the Eurogamer Biscuit Appreciation Group, I'd just like to express my horror that biscuits have been dragged into this conversation at all.

There is a time and a place for biscuits, and using them as a poor analogy for screen size is not it.

D****** ******r

• prettyboytim 21 Aug 2007 10:54:04 907 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ. What a fuss about nothing! Perhaps if they change it those with 4:3 screens can make a huge fuss about not getting the extra bits on the side of the screen that the 16:9 lot get.

Those at Irrational doing the 360 version will probably have developed it on widescreen screens anyway - and evidently didn't have a problem with the field of view. For all you know that field of view was chosen for 16:9 and then they just extended the tops and bottom for 4:3 users.

They've chosen to specify the horizontal viewing angle and vary the vertical one rather than the other way around. Boo-fucking hoo. Perhaps they actually wanted it that way.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2007 10:54:25
    disussedgenius wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    boabg wrote:

Sounds right to me. Now, get yourself fired or something so we can all find out a bit quicker.

I'm on it!

/pisses on floor
  • codmate 21 Aug 2007 10:55:10 13 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    codmate wrote:
    FluffyTucker wrote:

So if you bought a packet of biscuits and they took out 23% of them at the counter because you have a big mouth, you would be OK with that?
    Shittest analagy ever, they haven't removed 23% of the game. I suppose if it was the other way round, and 4:3 chopped off the sides, 4:3 TV owners should be pissed off as well? Christ, get a fucking grip, of all the things to moan about this is the lamest. Plenty of people play BF2 in widescreen, and that chops the top and bottom off as well but it's still the same game. Get a fucking job, or something important to worry about.

I think it's a good analogy thanks.
    Maybe a shit *analagy* though. Whatever one of those is.

I have a great job thanks :)
    One that affords me a 25" widescreen monitor that I won't play BioShock on until they fix the cropping.

..but then - I have the ability to write cogent arguments.

If you don't care, why not keep your 16:10 gob out of this thread?

/presses ignore-user
  • haowan 21 Aug 2007 10:55:43 7,384 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, it's not really that important. Saying that, it's always nice to have a bit of control over your FOV.
  • codmate 21 Aug 2007 10:58:10 13 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    prettyboytim wrote:
    Christ. What a fuss about nothing! Perhaps if they change it those with 4:3 screens can make a huge fuss about not getting the extra bits on the side of the screen that the 16:9 lot get.

Those at Irrational doing the 360 version will probably have developed it on widescreen screens anyway - and evidently didn't have a problem with the field of view. For all you know that field of view was chosen for 16:9 and then they just extended the tops and bottom for 4:3 users.

They've chosen to specify the horizontal viewing angle and vary the vertical one rather than the other way around. Boo-fucking hoo. Perhaps they actually wanted it that way.

Why do people post in threads concerning issues that they don't care about?

It's one of the eternal mysteries of life.
  • nickthegun 21 Aug 2007 10:58:52 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    codmate wrote:
    One that affords me a 25" widescreen monitor that I won't play BioShock on until they fix the cropping.

..but then - I have the ability to write cogent arguments.

Are you sure about that? Because from where im sitting a cogent argument doesnt involve cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"I will not play the game of the year until and deny myself the pleasure it brings until they fix the aspect ratio issue, which may actually be 'never'".

Cogent as a fox......

He totally called it

• Pike 21 Aug 2007 11:02:39 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    codmate wrote:
    prettyboytim wrote:

Why do people post in threads concerning issues that they don't care about?

It's one of the eternal mysteries of life.

Well, in this case it might be that they do care, about a brilliant game getting slated for som idiotic nerd reason.
  • thedaveeyres 21 Aug 2007 11:02:41 10,686 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    codmate wrote:
    I have a great job thanks :)

I'm hoping you're saying this tongue-in-cheek, because 'toys out of pram' is never a good look, especially for an adult.

with a job.

D****** ******r

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous