• Robes 25 Sep 2004 22:41:52 149 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.tortugarecordings.com/mp3/baron.mp3
  • Robes 25 Sep 2004 22:56:23 149 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Baron = a Five tune.

Old Man Gloom are immense, their latest album is real quality. They have Aaron Turner from Isis in the band.
  • Robes 25 Sep 2004 23:02:06 149 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Take a look for Five's Continuum Research Project - Hemophilliac Dream, there are only two tracks on it but the first one is stunning. THey nicked a Pink Floyd riff (set your controls to the heart of the sun) and turned it into an epic monster of a tune. The best thing they have done by far.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2004 17:05:04
    Fork, I can't get enough of Meshuggah's latest, "I". The part starting at 05:40 sounds like the thoughts of a 400m high murdering machine set to destroy the world.
  • shirubagan 13 Oct 2004 21:20:51 954 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would recommend the following (some again, 'cos they;re so good!):

Meshuggah
    Iron Maiden
    In Flames
    Mastodon
    At The Gates
    Carcass
    The Haunted
    Lamb of God
    Malefaction
    Swallowing Shit
    Converge
    Obituary
    Pantera
    Send More Paramedics
    Shadows Fall
    Darkest Hour
    Soilwork
    Dillinger Escape Plan (with and without Mike Patton)
    Venom
    Annihilator
    Children of Bodom
    Gorerotted
    December

... among others \m/
  • reflux 13 Oct 2004 23:56:39 1,804 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I JUST came back from a concert with Mastodon / Slipknot / Slayer. Mastodon was really nice, but I'd like to see them in a smaller venue, more club-like enviroment.

Slipknot totally crushed old fat Slayer. This is the third time I've seen Slayer and well, they have a certain tendency to make me fall asleep *zzzzzzzzz* My dad is right, they're only playing one song, over and over :p

While I don't like all Slipknot material I must confess they are great performers. Atleast they have understood that they are entertainers and that visual apperence IS important, unlike the old trash/death bands who think 1.5 hours of guitar solos defines "a great time" ands should be enough.

Three great drummers in one night one, and I got free tickets :D

Edited by reflux at 22:57:07 13-10-2004
  • StixxUK 14 Oct 2004 02:26:18 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's true about Slayer songs all sounding similar. But they do sound great, don't they?
  • shirubagan 14 Oct 2004 09:45:19 954 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reflux wrote:
    Mastodon was really nice, but I'd like to see them in a smaller venue, more club-like enviroment.

MASTODON 

Where: Garage, London  
    When: MONDAY, 25/10/2004, doors at 19:00, starts at 19:30

See you there.
  • Decoded 14 Oct 2004 10:17:23 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prefer a little (modern) doom myself, can't get into death metal at all *cowers*. Slow it dowwwwwwwwwn.

Evoken ("Quietus" is the most crushingly heavy and depressing record evar, surely)
    Shape of Despair
    Void of Silence
    My Dying Bride
    Skepticism ("The March and the Stream" - don't listen to this if suicidal)
    Pantheist

That sort of thing.
  • reflux 14 Oct 2004 10:31:40 1,804 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    shirubagan wrote:
    MASTODON 

Where: Garage, London  
    When: MONDAY, 25/10/2004, doors at 19:00, starts at 19:30

See you there.
    I wish, but I can't afford a trip to England right now :-o
  • StixxUK 14 Oct 2004 12:36:07 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Machine Head, God Forbid, Caliban

Bristol Academy, 24th November. I've got my ticket :D
  • Robes 14 Oct 2004 12:48:57 149 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw Cult of Luna the other day. They were very good live.

Think I'll go and watch Dillinger Escape Plan next month.

Neurosis are playing in London during December, might see if I can get down and get me some of that.
  • StixxUK 14 Oct 2004 14:16:20 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gonna see DEP too. In the stinky Fleece and Firkin \o/

With Poison the Well in support, who I'm not so sure about. My flatmate loves them, but he's an emo-loser.
  • warlockuk 14 Oct 2004 14:33:37 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just my luck to come in late on a metal thread.

I still say metal's a bit dead in the UK. We've not had a decent festival here in years, just watered down catwank full of shitehouse bands and one or two "names".

"Iiiit's time for... BLACK SABBATH! (andlinkinparkthedarknesslimpbizkitandsum41thankyouforyourninetyquid)"

That's why I go to Graspop in Belgium and Wacken in Germany - got to drink loads of beer, eat loads of meet and saw loads of bands (for less than the price of a UK fest). How metal is that? :D

Bal-Sagoth, Cathedral, Children of Bodom, Death Angel, Destruction, Helloween and Saxon all kicked ass this year :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• StixxUK 14 Oct 2004 14:40:23 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Download was good for me this year.

Metallica
    Korn
    Slayer
    Hatebreed
    Machine Head
    Soulfly
    Damageplan

Probably some more worth mentioning as well, and that was all on one day. Shame 'tallica's set was a bit... different due to the absence of Lars, but on the bright side that meant that we only got the old classics; not a single post Black Album song.
  • Phat-Mackerel 14 Oct 2004 14:51:20 8 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh man, reading this thread is making me feel OLD.

I have never heard of most of the bands mentioned. Can't believe Death Angel and Helloween are still going though.

Blidey, I remember when Master of Puppets came out.

/sighs...eyes watery with fond memories of metal-related antics
  • warlockuk 14 Oct 2004 14:58:06 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Download was good for me this year.

Metallica
    Korn
    Slayer
    Hatebreed
    Machine Head
    Soulfly
    Damageplan

Probably some more worth mentioning as well, and that was all on one day. Shame 'tallica's set was a bit... different due to the absence of Lars, but on the bright side that meant that we only got the old classics; not a single post Black Album song.

That's not too bad, though some would argue the "metal" credibility of Metallica (ad infinitum), Korn, Hatebreed, Soulfly and occasionally Damageplan.

Wacken was good for me because on just one day (out of the three - which probably cost the same as a ticket to 1 day in the UK if not less) I saw:

Bal_Sagoth
    Death Angel
    Unleashed
    Anthrax
    Cannibal Corpse
    Nevermore
    Hypocrisy
    Helloween
    Children of Bodom
    Saxon
    and Satyricon (a bit gay)

The day before that was a bit of a blur but I remeber Cathedral and Arch enemy :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 14 Oct 2004 21:44:50 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    I saw Cathedral in Manchester in 95, on the Hopkins: Witchfinder General Tour. It remains the best gig I've ever been to. Great fun, metal needn't be miserable and this show was an absolute blast.

Metal's not miserable at all! Cathedral kicked arse at Wacken - they did that Probot song "Stone Cold Man" and finished off with "Hopkins: Witchfinder General"

People were smiling the whole weekend :) Well 'cept for during Satyricon's set. Apparently smiling, beer, meat and fun aren't very tr00 or l33t. Cunts.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• StixxUK 15 Oct 2004 00:08:08 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Bal_Sagoth
    Death Angel
    Unleashed
    Anthrax
    Cannibal Corpse
    Nevermore
    Hypocrisy
    Helloween
    Children of Bodom
    Saxon
    and Satyricon (a bit gay)

The day before that was a bit of a blur but I remeber Cathedral and Arch enemy :)

To be honest, I don't think I'm true metal enough for that. Anthrax, Children of Bodom and Arch Enemy, sure, but the rest I've either never heard or can't stand.
  • grimboy 15 Oct 2004 01:00:24 82 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blimey,this takes me back..back in old days(80's/early 90's) Metal was a way of life..i remember buying the first issue of Kerrang!(wish i still had it,but there you go..).
    As I got older(and Married) my interest waned and settled down a bit,started listening to mellow stuff.Suddenly Metal seemed to disappear,almost overnight!Little did i know..it had merely gone underground,totally ignored by radio and gigs seemed to stop.Ah well,thought I,it was good whilst it lasted...Nirvana,Pearl Jam etc will have to do.
    Recently started playing(?) Second Life (look it up,kids) ingame Metal nightclubs are represented very well(check out the superb Brimstone Club) and it was real wake up call....so much to re-discover!

Well excited..got some new stuff(SOAD..F'kin amazing!!) and have been headbanging in the kitchen A LOT :)

The kids are embarrassed and the Wife keeps hiding my Slipknot cd's but i'm persevering!

Can't believe Slayer are still going........
  • warlockuk 15 Oct 2004 03:24:37 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    I used to buy Kerrang every Wednesday morning at Lancaster Uni and go sit in Cartmel Bar with a pint and swap metal gossip with my mate jimbo who also bought the rag.

Phil Alexander had become editor recently but his destruction of a good magazine hadn't taken place yet - it took a while before the cunt ruined the whole thing.

/fondly remembers the early 90s.

Yeah, I remember some of the stuff out of Phil's pen in the early 90s... "KERRANG! The sound of a thousand eardrums bleeding in unison!"

And now he's more likely to write "Here's some lovely young boys singing punk your gran or local MP would like with their hit new song 'I want to put my penis in your children'". Cunt. Stupid purple-suited cunt.

Actually that's an interesting aside - he was presenting a screening of the Ozzfest film "We sold our souls for rock 'n' roll" in London a few years back and hosting a Q+A with Sharon Osbourne.
    The guy was wearing a purple suit. I remember thinking "Dude! Just when I thought you couldn't look any more like a cock..."

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Freylis 15 Oct 2004 10:27:56 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    ...that Satyricon were "a bit gay".
    Wha-wha-what!?!?!?

/drops jaw in disbelief
  • Madder-Max 15 Oct 2004 10:47:11 11,618 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NIN rule. Thats all I have to say on the subject.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• warlockuk 15 Oct 2004 11:20:53 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Freylis wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    ...that Satyricon were "a bit gay".
    Wha-wha-what!?!?!?

/drops jaw in disbelief

Dude - it's Satyricon. They're fine if you're 14. And a girl. But after that... I dunno, they're just so ropey a lot of the time. Satyricon had Nocturno Culto with them and tried to get away with billing it as "plus Darkthrone".

Meh, they were on from about 1am to 3:30am, so i just watched a few songs and then fucked off to the bar or to chat to people (or get more meat from the food stands!). I guess being on at that time of night and for so long the 'leccy must have clicked over to Economy or something so they let them just do what they wanted.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• jaxon58 15 Oct 2004 11:30:58 2,420 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I went to see Slayer last week in Manchester with Slipknot.

Man, I can STILL hear it!

/rocks on
  • warlockuk 15 Oct 2004 11:41:45 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    I went to see Slayer last week in Manchester with Slipknot.

Man, I can STILL hear it!

/rocks on

Bastard. I didn't even know they were playing until the day after.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• StixxUK 15 Oct 2004 12:32:25 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    2 and a half hours of Satyricon? Looks like they ARE evil after all!
  • warlockuk 15 Oct 2004 12:49:00 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    2 and a half hours of Satyricon? Looks like they ARE evil after all!

Yeah, bastards! :p

Still, the teenygoffs loved it. Though you should have seen Cradle Of Filth at Graspop in Belgium. All these kids covered in merchandising walking round and they blatantly weren't amused by me walking past the tent quacking like a duck. Fuckin' talentless midget.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• shirubagan 16 Oct 2004 17:41:42 954 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine

Fucking wicked.

New Shadows Fall LP on it's way, too.

/excited
  • Robes 16 Oct 2004 19:41:41 149 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sadly Panoptican isn't as great as Oceanic. It is good but I was a little let down by it, not enough grunt.
  • Page

of 289 First / Last