The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 288

• Page

of 292 First / Last

• themanfromdelmonte 1 Jul 2014 17:39:50 580 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BTBAM

The Sparrow was a fave of mine too, the guitar solo is just sublime and I'm glad to see from the footage of their Pinkpop set that they've kept it in the set as a closer.

Think I'm with you on the drums/energy on Feast Your Eyes. As I say, it sounds very like a Mastodon song, but is missing something.

In direct comparison to The Hunter, there are pros and cons for OMRTS for me. The pros being that, to me, it's proggier. 70s Prog is the Genesis (pun intended, sorry) of my musical taste, so hearing that King Crimson, Genesis, Rush influence coming through more fully is good. Also, rather rather than Ooh and Aah chants as vocal hooks, they've written catchy choruses on a lot of the tracks. The main Con really is that it's more focused and samey than The Hunter, it stays almost exclusively in a sludge/prog/NWOBM middle ground, rather than sprawling all over many rock and metal genres like The Hunter.

As a record, I'm preferring it to The Hunter. If it performs a similar improvement to The Hunter when performed live, it could possibly end up rivaling Leviathan for me.
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Jul 2014 18:10:11 4,151 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The footage of the few tracks they've performed from it love sounds great.
  • themanfromdelmonte 1 Jul 2014 20:43:45 580 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine I'll be finding out about High Road and Chimes of Midnight on Sunday. Euro tour apparently coming in November, doing OMRTS in full.
  • el_pollo_diablo 5 Jul 2014 07:49:08 2,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Faith No More played a couple of new tracks yesterday in Hyde Park. This has made me happy.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 5 Jul 2014 10:11:37 731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Faith No More played a couple of new tracks yesterday in Hyde Park. This has made me happy.
    I thought they were outstanding yesterday.
    Biggest disappointment were soundgarden who I thought were pants.

Arsechickens

• el_pollo_diablo 5 Jul 2014 14:15:12 2,085 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wasn't there sadly. Mind you I've seen them 3 times over the course of their reunion now, including the first gig at Brixton, so I don't feel like I missed out too much. Excited for any new tracks though. I liked the other one, "Matador".
  • themanfromdelmonte 7 Jul 2014 17:05:26 580 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FNM were utterly amazing. We left to go back to Knebworth after them, as we didn't expect Soundgarden to be upto that standard and were unwilling to wait for Sabbath and endure the poor layout of the Hyde Park arena. So we went back to Soni for Prodigy, who were also rather good. Band of the weekend at Knebworth were Dog Eat Dog by some margin. Although New Model Army, Protest The Hero and Mastodon were also great.
  • the-dude 19 Jul 2014 21:44:07 4,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So new priest anyone given it a listen?

Listened to about half on Spotify but not really done anything, maybe it gets better with repeated listens bit of a grower.

Been listening to more mercyful fate and black metal by venom, for a band that is seemingly derided for their talent or lack of I quite enjoyed it.
  • OllyJ 20 Jul 2014 00:22:50 3,272 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah loving the new Priest, it's a solid album, plenty catchy. Most consistently good album they've done in years imo.
  • Dr.Haggard 20 Jul 2014 00:38:57 4,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a bit of a Venom phase when I was about 13 or 14. They scared the shit out of me. They were rubbish really, but pretty unique at the time. Funnily enough I've never felt any nostalgia about them at all, I probably haven't listened to them for 25 years.

While the thread's bumped, I was pretty gutted to hear Tesseract have parted ways with Ashe and got Daniel Tompkins back singing.

Altered State really is (as I recall someone else saying in this very thread) a masterpiece IMO. I don't use that word lightly. Didn't like the new guy's voice to begin with but it grew on me, and he might look like he got on the wrong tour bus but getting Dan back with his weaker voice and even weaker lyrics is a bad move.
  • GuiltySpark 20 Jul 2014 03:17:54 6,387 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jeez, Tesseract need to sort out whatever their problem is with their lead singers.

Get bent.

• FuzzyDuck 20 Jul 2014 03:49:42 4,151 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New Priest album is pretty "meh". That's not to say it's bad, just forgettable.
  • warlockuk 20 Jul 2014 09:38:17 19,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    So new priest anyone given it a listen?

Listened to about half on Spotify but not really done anything, maybe it gets better with repeated listens bit of a grower.

Been listening to more mercyful fate and black metal by venom, for a band that is seemingly derided for their talent or lack of I quite enjoyed it.
    I wouldn't say lack of talent was accurate - their early albums, I think, were recorded to be shit. They kept playing stuff too well and had to re-do it worse. Apparently. :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Beetroot_Bertie 22 Jul 2014 20:21:05 294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just giving Priest's latest a go. It's probably unfair to comment after one playthrough but it seems alright, pretty solid but not particularly stunning either.

The production is a little weird sounding, with Metalizer sounding particularly bad. I'm not sure if it's poorly mixed or if they've tried to give it a kind of retro feel.

I like how they've made use of melody and catchiness and tried not to rewrite Painkiller again (although the title track reminds me of Hell Patrol).

I also like the bluesy groove in Crossfire. I'd read somewhere that this album was more of a throwback to their 70's stuff which I was quite excited about as I love Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings but I can't say I've heard anything of that sort - it's feels more like a collection of songs that pull from various things they've done in the past and references the 80's stuff more.

The tracks on the bonus disc of the deluxe version (ooh shiny cover) are particularly 80's hard rock sounding and I actually find them pretty enjoyable in their own way, except the cheesy ballad at the end. I've no doubt it'll worm it's way in somehow :)

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 13:57:00 23-07-2014
  • Juz 23 Jul 2014 16:02:41 149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They kept playing March of The Damned on Planet Rock, and, at first I kept kinda thinking that it sounded like Babylon A.D. or something (ie not that great imho),and then it kinda started growing on me. Not sure about the rest of the album though - haven't heard enough.

I liked Ram It Down and always had a bit of a soft spot for Turbo despite both of em being kinda derided; that's not to say that I don't fuckin adore Victim of Changes, The Rage and Beyond The Realms of Death etc etc.

PSN: Juzzer

• Beetroot_Bertie 23 Jul 2014 17:31:57 294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    March of the Damned is a strange one. It sounds like it's written for Ozzy to me. The vocals could almost be him at times.

I like Turbo too :)

I think a lot of it is down to when I heard them - at a time before I became too grumpy and critical. I was also less open/into to other kinds of music. Painkiller was my first Priest album (loved it to bits) and I was a teenager at the time. I then went and discovered most of the back catalogue (except Point of Entry and Defenders of the Faith) pretty soon after that and I found something to like in all of them. Filling in Point of Entry and Defenders more recently I find them less appealing somehow, even though there's some good tracks on both. I think if I'd got them back when I was into the others I'd probably like them just as much as those (well, maybe not Point of Entry).

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 17:33:06 23-07-2014
  • ILoveThrashMetal 23 Jul 2014 17:49:47 731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    March of the damned definitely grew on me to.
    Fascinating priest fact just in case none of you knew, turbo lover is about robs favourite dildo :/

Arsechickens

• Tom_Servo 23 Jul 2014 18:34:31 17,962 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love the Woods of Desolation album from the start of this year so much, anyone else a fan? Shoegaze-y black metal, soars for the sky from the moment you hit play.
  • Juz 24 Jul 2014 09:34:47 149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    March of the damned definitely grew on me to.
    Fascinating priest fact just in case none of you knew, turbo lover is about robs favourite dildo :/
    Is you joking, guy?

• OllyJ 24 Jul 2014 11:39:16 3,272 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair play if it is true, that's fucking hilarious!
  • the-dude 24 Jul 2014 12:22:26 4,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reading the lyrics it could well be.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 24 Jul 2014 13:30:35 731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ha ha I've got images of you lot googling all of judas priests songs going "wtf?"

Arsechickens

• OllyJ 24 Jul 2014 14:15:08 3,272 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ram it down is about anal beads.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 24 Jul 2014 14:46:24 294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The sublties of the lyrics in 'Eat Me Alive' have got me confused. Isn't it about zombies?
  • ILoveThrashMetal 24 Jul 2014 14:55:41 731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Between the hammer and the anvil  :/

Arsechickens

• ILoveThrashMetal 24 Jul 2014 14:57:22 731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blood stained.

Arsechickens

• Juz 24 Jul 2014 15:14:02 149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :o

You've Got Another Thing Comin'

Di-Phallused lover, evidently.

• OllyJ 24 Jul 2014 15:37:06 3,272 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The ripper. Oh shit.
  • Juz 24 Jul 2014 15:46:01 149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lol - I wouldn't fancy my chances with The Grinder either.

Owie!

• Page

of 292 First / Last