The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 284

• Page

of 289 First / Last

• Maturin 21 Mar 2014 10:28:42 2,889 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Certainly agree about Ulrich, he sounds like a complete amateur next to some of his contemporaries (especially Lombardo and Tom Hunting from Exodus), but not too sure about the Hammet comment. I'm certainly no fan of anything post-"...AJFA", but I do recall the solo to "Bleeding Me" on load being probably my favourite thing he's ever done. Then again, it's been at least 10 years since I've heard that album, so could be completely wrong here!
    All you have to do is listen to Hammett solos then listen to some by Alex Skolnick, Marty Friedman or Chris Broderick - for that matter just listen to any of the guitarists Megadeth have had such as Jeff Young or Chris Poland.

Kirk can show off with speed, but there's nothing behind it. He often can't even play a long single note without bending it out of tune - lots of that going on on the Justice album. His solos are usually poorly constructed and without any natural flow and he doesn't seem to know how to use a wah pedal without overdoing it.

The real clincher for me is how poorly he often plays Hetfield's rhythm parts. Hammett and Ulrich seems to have a similar problem - they had some talent, but they didn't keep up with it. Watch some recent live vids of Hammett playing and you can see he really struggles to play stuff that he came up with a couple of decades ago. So even if you think those solos were great - these days he's really having trouble playing them.

Look how poor he is here:

Edited by Maturin at 10:29:34 21-03-2014
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Mar 2014 16:09:30 3,892 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh my stars, that indeed sounds woeful (as an aside, does Lars have the world's largest collection of shit sounding snares?).

I'd never have put Hammet in the same league as a lot of the players you've mentioned (heck, Skolnick's solo in "First Strike Is Deadly" is probably my favourite bit of lead work in all of thrash), but hadn't realised he'd fallen that far from grace.
  • themanfromdelmonte 24 Mar 2014 17:06:20 566 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RIP Oderus Urungus.
  • themanfromdelmonte 30 Mar 2014 19:14:37 566 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Clashes with the Friday of Sonisphere, but that's easily the worst day for me. So looks like I'll be schlepping over to London on the Friday, makes it a very expensive weekend, but with some great music.
  • Megapocalypse 31 Mar 2014 19:47:00 5,309 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After one listen, Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead could be an early contender for album of the year. Easily their best since Powerplant/No World Order.
  • BillMurray 2 Apr 2014 21:53:02 7,607 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite enjoying new EYEHATEGOD.

Edited by BillMurray at 21:53:11 02-04-2014
  • cheeky_prawnking 2 Apr 2014 22:00:25 4,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had another splurge this week. The following are currently working through my ears:

blind Guardian
    Imaginations from the other side
    Nightfall in middle earth

king diamond - Them

Manowar - Kings of Metal

Exodus - Bonded by blood

Nightwish - Oceanborn
    Wishmaster
  • Beetroot_Bertie 2 Apr 2014 23:05:39 291 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grandfather, tell me a story...

Kings of Metal always makes me smile. It's one of those albums that kind of picks me up and 'Hail and Kill' is wonderful :)

I've been meaning to get some King Diamond CDs at some point to replace my old cassettes - Andy La Rocque's guitar work was rather splendid.
  • Kichijoten 2 Apr 2014 23:15:08 838 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Age could be a factor, and I agree if you started listening now to their later albums you would wonder what the fuss was about. Obviously the counterpoint to that is that it is viewed through rose tinted glasses by those that were there so age is not the primary factor I would suggest.
    I wouldn't dispute this, as far as Puppets is concerned my rose tinted glasses are three foot thick +10 goggles of nostalgia, but then I do have a tendency for sentimentality like that, and it's only because it was special. Amazing things were going on in metal at the time, and despite that it still stood out and made a huge impact, and that's purely down to the songs and the production.

Unfortunately after Cliff's death they changed almost overnight - musically, lyrically and personality wise. I didn't see it so clearly at the time, it felt more gradual for obvious reasons (up until the sudden 'wtf?!' of the black album), but in hindsight they just weren't and aren't the same band who made those first three albums. Even when I saw them on the Justice tour something felt amiss, and although I did like that album at the time I knew it was nowhere near as good as Puppets. Things just got worse from there, but I can't emphasise enough how well liked and respected they were at the time of Puppets. No one was embarrassed to like Metallica then.
    certainly not rose tinted. I never heard much metallica until maybe a year ago and only this week listened to master of puppets and ride the lightening fully and with my full attention. Both albums are incredible and I've not background to it or biased memories from the 80s of it. For me both are epic and ride the lightening album is just wow.

Right now I kept repeating for whom the bell tolls v loud.
  • warlockuk 2 Apr 2014 23:48:58 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely enjoyed seeing these guys on the current Grand Magus tour. Would recommend 'em to anyone into stoner/rock with a 70s feel.

Is it me, or does the drummer look like he could be Scarlett Johansson's kid brother?

Edited by warlockuk at 23:55:18 02-04-2014

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 3 Apr 2014 00:45:04 3,892 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @warlockuk

He's what I'd imagine Scarlett Johansson's and Josh Homme's kid would look (and sound!) like.

Also, if there's a documentary ever made about Bill Steer, they can get the lead guy to play a young him!

(The music is pretty decent also).
  • BillMurray 3 Apr 2014 01:24:41 7,607 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

This band are fucking ace and they only ever released about 4 tracks.
  • Slurmseh 9 Apr 2014 20:01:57 2,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really digging Baroness and The Sword recently.
  • FuzzyDuck 10 Apr 2014 18:43:13 3,892 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The new Animals As Leaders record is pretty tasty.

• cheeky_prawnking 15 Apr 2014 17:38:20 4,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rumours of AC/DC announcing their retirement. Sad day if true.
  • Maturin 15 Apr 2014 17:47:47 2,889 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Rumours of AC/DC announcing their retirement. Sad day if true.
    It is sad. But kudos for them standing together and refusing to go on without Malcolm, who recently had a stroke.
  • cheeky_prawnking 15 Apr 2014 17:50:50 4,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah nothing but admiration for that.
  • DUFFKING 17 Apr 2014 15:05:28 7,089 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://soundcloud.com/mastodonrocks/mastodon-high-road/s-kgi7V

New Mastodon song. Bit more Levianathy in places, then suddenly a bit Ozzy.

Edited by DUFFKING at 15:06:22 17-04-2014
  • Slurmseh 17 Apr 2014 15:26:36 2,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't wait for their new album. Any date set yet?
  • ILoveThrashMetal 17 Apr 2014 20:43:29 657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DUFFKING I've tried and failed to get into them. Occasional catchy riff but nothing special for me. Maybe I'm just needing that one song of theirs to make me appreciate them.
    Until then I have this monster TRIPTYKON - Breathing (ALBUM TRACK): http://youtu.be/-HnBYO8k5pM

Arsechickens

• StixxUK 19 Apr 2014 17:21:42 7,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    New Mastodon song: do like.

Kind of surprising sound, definitely not the direction I thought they would go. That said, it's Mastodon so entirely possible the rest of the album will sound utterly different, for better or worse!
  • Dr.Haggard 19 Apr 2014 21:31:13 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    https://soundcloud.com/mastodonrocks/mastodon-high-road/s-kgi7V

New Mastodon song. Bit more Levianathy in places, then suddenly a bit Ozzy.
    Drove me mad for a few minutes trying to place who the vocals remind me of on that track until it hit me, John Connelly from Nuclear Assault.

I enjoyed it, I don't usually like Mastodon at all.
  • JonFE 19 Apr 2014 23:48:23 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I absolutely adore Mastodon's Crack the Sky, from start to finish; I'm usually a bit indifferent to the rest of their stuff, expect bits an' pieces...
  • ILoveThrashMetal 24 Apr 2014 18:22:54 657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Slayer - Implode ( New Track 2014 HQ/HD): http://youtu.be/KhJ8u99gSgM FUCKING SSSSLLLLAYYYYEEERRRR!  sounds very slayerish to me.

Arsechickens

• DUFFKING 24 Apr 2014 18:27:12 7,089 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They sound bored. Guitars sound good but.. eh. Also the transition from the intro is jarring as fuck

Edited by DUFFKING at 18:27:46 24-04-2014
  • cheeky_prawnking 24 Apr 2014 19:07:58 4,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Used to love slayer but since God hates us all not enjoyed anything new by them unfortunately.
  • thelzdking 24 Apr 2014 21:15:16 4,312 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not normally one for Facebook things, but I've been finding this group rather entertaining over the past few months: https://www.facebook.com/groups/394965017235070/?fref=nf
  • ILoveThrashMetal 24 Apr 2014 22:04:23 657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @thelzdking bastard! I just had to go through my 200+ metal t-shirt collection just to make sure I didn't own any of them!
    The wife is on the defensive though as she does own a pair of those anthrax shorts.
    Nice find :)

Arsechickens

• FuzzyDuck 26 Apr 2014 00:53:37 3,892 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote: sounds very slayerish to me.
    There's the problem - they've already done this countless times and 1,000 times better.

I am surprised that they managed to put out a new record, but it's distinctively 'meh'.
  • Roddles 1 May 2014 13:58:34 1,743 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Soulfly to play...Guilfest?

I think they might need a new booking agent after this.
  • Page

of 289 First / Last