The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 283

• Page

of 290 First / Last

• warlockuk 21 Feb 2014 11:36:35 19,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tbh I alware preferred Ride The Lightning to Master of Puppets. That "MASTER! MASTER!" bit in MOP always got on my tits. Orion's a cracking tune though, might pop it on now.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Dr.Haggard 21 Feb 2014 11:57:04 4,176 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Age could be a factor, and I agree if you started listening now to their later albums you would wonder what the fuss was about. Obviously the counterpoint to that is that it is viewed through rose tinted glasses by those that were there so age is not the primary factor I would suggest.
    I wouldn't dispute this, as far as Puppets is concerned my rose tinted glasses are three foot thick +10 goggles of nostalgia, but then I do have a tendency for sentimentality like that, and it's only because it was special. Amazing things were going on in metal at the time, and despite that it still stood out and made a huge impact, and that's purely down to the songs and the production.

Unfortunately after Cliff's death they changed almost overnight - musically, lyrically and personality wise. I didn't see it so clearly at the time, it felt more gradual for obvious reasons (up until the sudden 'wtf?!' of the black album), but in hindsight they just weren't and aren't the same band who made those first three albums. Even when I saw them on the Justice tour something felt amiss, and although I did like that album at the time I knew it was nowhere near as good as Puppets. Things just got worse from there, but I can't emphasise enough how well liked and respected they were at the time of Puppets. No one was embarrassed to like Metallica then.
  • AwesomeWells 21 Feb 2014 13:11:05 407 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Lars is a cunt.
  • OllyJ 26 Feb 2014 00:02:00 3,259 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't get enough of Atlantean Kodex right now. Bit like While Heaven Wept. Killer as owt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLXwTRNEQU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • OllyJ 26 Feb 2014 00:04:14 3,259 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • ILoveThrashMetal 26 Feb 2014 21:12:24 712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    An unusual take on ACDC. Most impressive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Arsechickens

• cheeky_prawnking 26 Feb 2014 21:22:31 4,456 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Saturday night after a few drinks went on a Amazon binge :/

Anthrax Spreading the disease
    Kreator pleasure to kill
    King diamond Abigail
    Helloween Keeper of the seven keys I&II
    Savatage In the hall of the mountain king
    DragonForce inhuman rampage

Spot the odd one out lol
  • Slurmseh 8 Mar 2014 07:51:55 2,337 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Keeper of the Seven Keys is great. I love Michael Kiske's vocals, shame he left the band soon after the second record.
  • EMarkM 8 Mar 2014 07:59:13 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some memories in that list.

Seeing Hellowe'en at Donington '88 (my first ever festival) was cool.
  • EMarkM 8 Mar 2014 08:03:27 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    They're irrelevant musically now of course, have been for a long time, but Master of Puppets was a huge deal at the time. I didn't know a single metal/rock fan who didn't love it. It didn't matter what you were into, everyone was blown away by that album, it sounded fucking amazing and it felt important.

I don't know if anyone now who wasn't there at the time, especially through the lense of today's musical landscape, would be able to see it (especially in the light of who Metallica are now and have been since the black album: increasingly nothing more than an embarrassing bunch of rich egos whose opinion of themselves and actual talent grow further apart by the album) but Metallica were fucking cool in the 80s, and Master of Puppets was a revelation.

Unfortunately it was probably (given the subsequent rapid decline) largely due to the genius of the guy in the band who at the time was soon to be dead, but either way it was one of those genuinely important moments in music. In the 80s only Reign In Blood and maybe Appetite for Destruction came close to that kind of significance off the top of my head.

Personally at the time MoP was released I was listening to all the early thrash/death stuff, in fact anything weird and wonderful and nasty and heavy I could get my hands on, and I don't mind saying the first day I put Master of Puppets on my turntable is one of the most memorable days of the 80s for me. Sorry but it was and is bloody great. Shame they're such talentless tossers now.
    I agree with every word of this post.

Spot on.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 8 Mar 2014 08:06:23 866 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Wow, thanks for bringing back great memories. I haven't heard Keeper of the Seven Keys albums in a very long time. I remember when I was 18 (1988) and always listening to it on my way to work on the bus with my walkman, yes WALKMAN!

Good times.

Eagle Fly Free, epic!

Edited by Furtive_Pygmy at 08:09:58 08-03-2014
  • warlockuk 8 Mar 2014 09:15:38 19,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yoooooou're theeeeeeee keeeeper of the seeeven keeee-eee-eee-eyyyyys.

Great album, that's gonna go on now.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 8 Mar 2014 09:38:50 19,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I forgot how good Keeper part 1 is. Whoa.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Megapocalypse 8 Mar 2014 10:22:37 5,385 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Disease, disease, disease my friend
    For this whole world's in devil's hand
    Disease, disease, disease my friend
    Throw the key or you may die

Remember seeing them and hearing this live for the first time. Brilliant!
  • Beetroot_Bertie 8 Mar 2014 12:40:56 292 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of my favourite Helloween tracks. Such energetic drumming too :cry:

Hearing this made me a little warm and fuzzy inside...

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 13:35:36 08-03-2014
  • Defecationqueen 8 Mar 2014 17:34:31 527 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Sounds like a cross between Immortal and Dimmu Borgir. Great stuff.

Edited by Defecationqueen at 17:35:30 08-03-2014
  • riz23 11 Mar 2014 00:43:27 1,256 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really looking forward to catching this husband and wife team at Temples Festival

• ILoveThrashMetal 17 Mar 2014 18:53:39 712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/triptykon-reveal-two-brand-new-songs enfuckingjoy!

Arsechickens

• DUFFKING 17 Mar 2014 20:51:22 7,214 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So uh, this isn't bad actually

Edited by DUFFKING at 20:51:36 17-03-2014

Edited by DUFFKING at 20:52:01 17-03-2014
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Mar 2014 03:11:44 4,022 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not bad for them (at this stage), if it didn't have the name attached I'm sure most people would just go "meh".

And sweet Jesus is a Lars a fucking shit drummer!
  • Maturin 18 Mar 2014 09:32:26 2,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Unfortunately after Cliff's death they changed almost overnight - musically, lyrically and personality wise. I didn't see it so clearly at the time, it felt more gradual for obvious reasons (up until the sudden 'wtf?!' of the black album), but in hindsight they just weren't and aren't the same band who made those first three albums. Even when I saw them on the Justice tour something felt amiss, and although I did like that album at the time I knew it was nowhere near as good as Puppets. Things just got worse from there, but I can't emphasise enough how well liked and respected they were at the time of Puppets. No one was embarrassed to like Metallica then.
    I agree with all of this.

The other thing that happened around that time was they'd run out of Mustaine material too. I think his songwriting is a bigger factor in their early work than they'd care to admit. They were still using his material - either verbatim or reworked, long after he'd left.

I still had time for the band when Jason was there. But once he'd gone too I haven't liked a single thing they've done. Jason was at least a link with the fans - they don't seem to have a clue without him.

Edited by Maturin at 09:33:49 18-03-2014
  • OllyJ 18 Mar 2014 15:52:26 3,259 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New Agalloch song - Celestial Effigy
  • Maturin 18 Mar 2014 19:19:02 2,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Good stuff that, thanks.

I really enjoyed the last album, so looking forward to the new one too.
  • themanfromdelmonte 18 Mar 2014 20:54:43 573 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    I agree with all of this.

The other thing that happened around that time was they'd run out of Mustaine material too. I think his songwriting is a bigger factor in their early work than they'd care to admit. They were still using his material - either verbatim or reworked, long after he'd left.

I still had time for the band when Jason was there. But once he'd gone too I haven't liked a single thing they've done. Jason was at least a link with the fans - they don't seem to have a clue without him.
    Thing is, thrash never had anywhere to go. The state of the genre today bares testament (pun unintended) to that. It's either old school bands ploughing the same furrow and regurgitating the same stuff, or younger bands doing some hermogenised caricature of the genre. As head and shoulders as the 80s stuff was over what came later. At least the later stuff was an honest representation of the music the people in the band wanted to create. Rather than servicing fan expectations.
  • Maturin 18 Mar 2014 22:22:51 2,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree with that. Though there are bands who have done good work post-thrash. Of course not everyone agrees - but Megadeth's Countdown and Youthanasia are damn good albums, but hardly thrash.

Metallica sadly couldn't seem to keep their post-thrash material to the high standard of the earlier work. I wonder if the issue is musicianship. Hetfield is a brilliant rhythm guitarist - but in Hammet and Ulrich you have two musicians who are completely found out when you remove safety nets of speed, volume and forgiving production (and too much wah pedal!).
  • OllyJ 19 Mar 2014 08:51:55 3,259 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    OllyJ wrote:
    Good stuff that, thanks.

I really enjoyed the last album, so looking forward to the new one too.
    Seems like we are in the minority on The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ, I did see Marrow of the Spirit as a bit of an oddball album but one that I find myself drawn to time and time again.

This new song sounds like a return to The Mantle era Agalloch and I'm pretty happy about that!
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Mar 2014 23:34:50 4,022 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I agree with that. Though there are bands who have done good work post-thrash. Of course not everyone agrees - but Megadeth's Countdown and Youthanasia are damn good albums, but hardly thrash.

Metallica sadly couldn't seem to keep their post-thrash material to the high standard of the earlier work. I wonder if the issue is musicianship. Hetfield is a brilliant rhythm guitarist - but in Hammet and Ulrich you have two musicians who are completely found out when you remove safety nets of speed, volume and forgiving production (and too much wah pedal!).
    Agree about those two Megadeth albums. In fact, I think "The Killing ROad" features my favourite 'Deth riff.

Certainly agree about Ulrich, he sounds like a complete amateur next to some of his contemporaries (especially Lombardo and Tom Hunting from Exodus), but not too sure about the Hammet comment. I'm certainly no fan of anything post-"...AJFA", but I do recall the solo to "Bleeding Me" on load being probably my favourite thing he's ever done. Then again, it's been at least 10 years since I've heard that album, so could be completely wrong here!

New Agalloch sounds decent too!
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Mar 2014 23:41:31 4,022 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyhoo, this is floating my boat at the minute...

• Syrette 20 Mar 2014 21:50:49 43,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This Destrage album is fucking brilliant. Just pure fun.

If you like SIkth, you'll like them.

• FuzzyDuck 21 Mar 2014 00:18:03 4,022 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sweet UnHoly Mother Of Jesus, this is heavy... :eek:

• Page

of 290 First / Last