The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 269

• Page

of 302 First / Last

• MrSemprini 24 Jun 2013 20:31:43 9,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:I've never really thought of it before, but they've been a fairly consistent band over the years; the only complete clanger they ever dropped was 'Diabolous In Musica', 'Christ Illusion' was pretty shit too, but at least it had a bit of bite to it.
    Quality was variable after Seasons for me, low points being Diabolus and God Hates Us All. Be interesting to see what they come up with now that JH is no longer around given how integral he was.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 25 Jun 2013 01:31:52 804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just come back from the roundhouse after watching Danzig 25th anniversary featuring Doyle.
    Gig was pretty good, lots of classic misfits and Danzig tunes.
    Fucking Doyle is huge, man fucking mountain!! I'd be chuffed if my pecks are half the size of his when I'm his age.
    On a side note though, what is it with the security giving everyone a bollocking for taking pictures with their phones? Persistent offenders were dragged out the venue, and if you so much as lifted your phone up you would get umpteen maglites blinding you.
    'the artist will leave the stage if you continue to take pictures' was all we kept hearing, cunts.

Arsechickens

• warlockuk 25 Jun 2013 08:31:41 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, at Manchester Danzig got proper sand in his fucking vag about it.
    He was a bit disappointing tbh, lounge lizard motherfucker - but Doyle was fucking ace, as was Type O's Jonny Kelly on drums.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 25 Jun 2013 08:36:45 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @Beetroot_Bertie

A Repka job indeed! He was like the Unreal Engine 3 of 80s metal; every second release seemed to use him, and the result was everything had a funny sheen to it!

Joking aside, he's done more than his fare share of iconic covers, and has contributed to some of my all time fave records - I've considered the hourglass from Atheist's 'Piece Of Time' and the first skeleton on the right of Death's 'Scream Bloody Gore' as tattoos! Until I remembered about my fear of needles...
    Yeah, I'd considered part of SBG as a tat, too. Ha. Unintentional gag there.
    Repka's work is fantastic, though - just look a the list of album covers!

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 10:39:49 10,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Click :)

Here's a little clip of something I've been spending my nights working on. Most of that time I've been trying to get these fucking Mellotron samples working >:( but at long last, I got it last night. It's a rough version and alot will still change but I'm proud of the composition and thought I'd share it here with EG folk, even if it's not strictly metal.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 25 Jun 2013 11:02:18 300 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Progguitarist

Sounds really good dude. Love the mellow section.
  • Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 11:07:09 10,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie Thanks :)
  • FuzzyDuck 25 Jun 2013 11:42:33 4,675 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Progguitarist

Tidy!

Do you intend on ever putting a full album out? I'd buy it! :D
  • Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 12:57:23 10,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck I'm working on it full tilt at the moment. Hopefully won'y be much longer. It's time consuming when you are writing for 20+ instruments though :(
  • warlockuk 25 Jun 2013 15:41:33 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just this. Gold.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 25 Jun 2013 15:43:42 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @Progguitarist

Tidy!

Do you intend on ever putting a full album out? I'd illegally download it! :D
    That clip sounds ace, definite Therion vibe going on. I'm getting a modernish Devil Doll vibe, too. Not the girl-band.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• thelzdking 25 Jun 2013 18:11:55 4,407 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Received a box full of classic death metal this morning, so my night's planned out nicely.
  • Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 18:19:53 10,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @warlockuk I really have to check out some Therion!
  • ILoveThrashMetal 25 Jun 2013 19:01:15 804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Received a box full of classic death metal this morning, so my night's planned out nicely.
    Details please!

Arsechickens

• thelzdking 25 Jun 2013 19:13:02 4,407 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Details please!
    Deicide - Deicide
    Entombed - Left Hand Path
    Master - On the Seventh Day God Created... Master
    Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

I'm waiting on a copy of Obituary's Cause of Death as well. They'll all sound nice on my lovely new stereo.
  • Maturin 25 Jun 2013 19:25:02 3,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The new Queensryche is bloody fantastic. (no I don't mean the Geoff Tate shitfest).

Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton have signed up Parker Lungren on Guitar and some singer called Todd La Torre. Jesus the boy can sing. At times so much like a young Tate it's scary, but he's got his own style and he really belts out the tunes.

Style wise it's not a million miles away from Mindcrime/Empire. Sounds really very good indeed. So great that they've returned to their classic sound now they've ditched the dead weight. Album is a bit short, but otherwise killer.

Just got the new Amon Amarth too, but not listened to it all yet so reserving judgement.
  • BeheretiK 25 Jun 2013 20:52:54 884 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:

Deicide - Deicide

I'm waiting on a copy of Obituary's Cause of Death as well. They'll all sound nice on my lovely new stereo.
    Yup, that is a decent evenings entertainment there! And definitely not frivolous use of the classic tag either :-)

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• BeheretiK 25 Jun 2013 20:54:31 884 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @warlockuk Ha, I enjoyed that! Not sure I would buy it or anything but I would give the album a few listens for sure. Good stuff :-)

• BeheretiK 25 Jun 2013 21:06:26 884 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, been listening (amongst other things of course) to the return of two bands that have not been around for ages but have come back with stunning albums, both sounding like they did back in the day.

First off, Satan, a NWOBHM UK band who released a couple of full lengths, the last one over 20 years ago. The new album, "Life Sentence", sees the original members from the début album return. And it is a cracker.

Secondly, Sorcery, a death metal band from Sweden released their sophomore album "Arrival at Six" a full 22 years after their début album "Bloodchilling Tales". This a band that has been around since 1987 so when they do it old school, they do it properly.

Both albums on Spotify as well.

Edited by BeheretiK at 21:06:52 25-06-2013

• ILoveThrashMetal 25 Jun 2013 21:44:33 804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Details please!
    Deicide - Deicide

Make sure you crank chopped in half upto 11!

Arsechickens

• FuzzyDuck 26 Jun 2013 01:35:10 4,675 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Details please!
    Deicide - Deicide

Shamefully, I've never owned any Master albums. Isn't that the one that Paul Masvidal plays on?

Nice haul! Murphy's solo that kicks off at around 4:30 on 'Body Bag' is probably the best thing he's ever done, sheer bliss.
  • FuzzyDuck 26 Jun 2013 01:36:52 4,675 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @Progguitarist

Tidy!

Do you intend on ever putting a full album out? I'd illegally download it! :D
    That clip sounds ace, definite Therion vibe going on. I'm getting a modernish Devil Doll vibe, too. Not the girl-band.
    Hey, wait a minute, something's not quite right here! :D
  • FuzzyDuck 26 Jun 2013 01:41:01 4,675 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:I've never really thought of it before, but they've been a fairly consistent band over the years; the only complete clanger they ever dropped was 'Diabolous In Musica', 'Christ Illusion' was pretty shit too, but at least it had a bit of bite to it.
    Quality was variable after Seasons for me, low points being Diabolus and God Hates Us All. Be interesting to see what they come up with now that JH is no longer around given how integral he was.
    GHUA has a soft spot with me as that was their first album to be released after I had got into metal, and I also got to see them tour not long after it came out either.

Yeah I'm not expecting much from them to be honest. Wonder if Holt will be afforded any input? It's not like he doesn't have the pedigree.
  • warlockuk 26 Jun 2013 09:39:44 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @warlockuk I really have to check out some Therion!
    Check out Theli, Secret of the Runes and Vovin. I can't remember what the newer albums are like but those three are ace.
    I can see what my day will have me listening to. 'cept not on Spotify as the twats don't have any :(

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 26 Jun 2013 09:40:01 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wait, yes Spotify does. Work's proxy server is shit.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 26 Jun 2013 09:41:51 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Hey, wait a minute, something's not quite right here! :D
    ;)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Megapocalypse 26 Jun 2013 10:05:36 5,490 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @warlockuk
    The newer albums just seem to get weirder and weirder, and less metal. Still interesting though. The double album Lemuria / Sirius B is a good place to start with a mix of their old and newer styles.
  • warlockuk 26 Jun 2013 10:09:09 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I think Sirius B was the last of their albums I heard tbh - not bad but the earlier ones get more listens.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 26 Jun 2013 10:26:34 4,675 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Maturin

Heard a few tracks from the new Queensryche and it's proper good indeed. Think the new lad used to sing with Crimson Glory.

I'm sure Tate must feel like a complete wally now - 'F.U'. is right!
  • warlockuk 26 Jun 2013 10:34:55 19,209 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Crimson Glory! There's a flashback :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 302 First / Last