• Page

of 296 First / Last

• drip 19 Jun 2013 21:01:56 4,314 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    MrSemprini wrote:
    Quite the statement, given some of the appalling dross they've belched up over the years. Still, each to their own.
    Excerpts from possibly the three most-despised Sabbath albums. All have more energy and life in them than the new one if you ask me. Heck, even the drugged up mess of Never Say Die had at least the advantage of being so bad that it was somewhat cool again.
    There are people who don't like Mob Rules? Crikey never knew that. It's a belter.
    Quite a lot. Most I think because they couldn't forgive Ozzy being replaced by Dio. I do like Dio, but especially Heaven and Hell was a pretty flat, boring, monotonous album imo, far from the creativity of the whole Ozzy era, including the last two albums. Mob Rules was better already though, and I think I have chosen one of the top songs of those two.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:03:00 19-06-2013
  • StixxUK 20 Jun 2013 09:47:19 7,265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Late to the party maybe but Black Breath are pretty damn good aren't they?
  • Maturin 20 Jun 2013 09:53:29 3,105 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Quite a lot. Most I think because they couldn't forgive Ozzy being replaced by Dio. I do like Dio, but especially Heaven and Hell was a pretty flat, boring, monotonous album imo, far from the creativity of the whole Ozzy era, including the last two albums. Mob Rules was better already though, and I think I have chosen one of the top songs of those two.
    I love H&H and Mob Rules and I've never heard any friends who like the band not liking them either.

It's odd people were annoyed with Dio replacing Ozzy given it was Sharon who suggested to Tony they work with him.

While there's lots to love on those first few albums by Sabbath they were also pretty inconsistent. You can look back and see so many great songs. But there was plenty of ropey stuff in there too. For me the first two Dio albums are much more level in their quality.

But then, I really like the albums they did with Tony Martin. :)

(Born Again with Gillan was arse though) :)
  • StixxUK 20 Jun 2013 16:04:36 7,265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got bored of the new Sabbath very quickly.

Also not getting the love for Deafheaven. Bores me to tears, much prefer Alcest for the emo black metal thing and a million others do post rock better.
  • drip 20 Jun 2013 17:05:30 4,314 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maturin wrote:

But then, I really like the albums they did with Tony Martin. :)

(Born Again with Gillan was arse though) :)
    I like the Martin era too, but that's natural, since I grew up with it.

Born Again is fucking ace though.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 17:27:17
    I will fight anyone who says dio era better than ozzy era.
    It is also to do with when released, late 60s early 70s were amazing where the 80s rock wise was mostly dire.
    Fight?
  • Maturin 20 Jun 2013 17:28:32 3,105 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dio > Ozzy

See you outside :)
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 17:31:04
    You're dead!

/ kicks you in the groin
    Pokes eyes out
    Pours vodka all over you
    Lights match....

\
    Ozzy era is better.
  • drip 20 Jun 2013 17:33:36 4,314 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dio was clearly the better singer (Ozzy is probably the worst singer in human history), but the 70s Ozzy era albums were just so much better, not counting vocal performance.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2013 17:41:55
    Technically speaking yes although I just didn't like his voice, would much rather listen to ozzy even though he not a great singer.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Jun 2013 18:19:12 4,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Dio was clearly the better singer (Ozzy is probably the worst singer in human history)...
    When I was first discovering heavy metal, I was always confused at how someone who sounded like Ozzy was ever let near a microphone, especially when you consider my other points of reference were the likes of Bruce Dickinson, Ian Gillan and Dio.

Then at some point, Sean Killian of Vio-lence came into my life :D

That album has some of the most feral riffing thrash ever produced, with a guy who shouldn't be allowed sing in his own home ruining it!
  • drip 20 Jun 2013 18:20:41 4,314 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yea true, I enjoy listening to Ozzy too even though he is fucking terrible. As most successful singers, he's not necessarily good, but he's unique. That is, I don't listen to anything of him after the 70s, because after leaving Black Sabbath, he wasn't good-terrible anymore, but just terrible-terrible.

edit: I think that's an important thing. The "best" singers are rarely those who excel technically, but those who are unmistakable and sound like no one else does.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:24:55 20-06-2013
  • Kovacs77 20 Jun 2013 18:33:29 368 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Palms (Isis and Chino fro Deftones) album is out there

Sounds good after one listen, maybe not quite as good as this though, the high point of Isis' career..

• drip 20 Jun 2013 18:35:54 4,314 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Yea true, I enjoy listening to Ozzy too even though he is fucking terrible. As most successful singers, he's not necessarily good, but he's unique. That is, I don't listen to anything of him after the 70s, because after leaving Black Sabbath, he wasn't good-terrible anymore, but just terrible-terrible.

edit: I think that's an important thing. The "best" singers are rarely those who excel technically, but those who are unmistakable and sound like no one else does.
    And admittedly, I don't know if my favourite vocalist would pass the acceptance test of the conservatoire either

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:36:34 20-06-2013
  • Maturin 20 Jun 2013 18:37:45 3,105 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually really like Ozzy's early solo work. And the later album No More Tears.
  • prawnking1980 20 Jun 2013 18:39:52 4,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't mind Ozzmosis even if it was over processed and synthesised.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Jun 2013 21:20:55 4,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    New Gorguts! :D

• Beetroot_Bertie 20 Jun 2013 23:50:01 294 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got mixed feelings about Sabbath's latest.

It's solid and does a really good job at what is does. It appeals on a very nostalgic level but the problem for me is that it feels like it's looking backwards too self consciously. Like it's trying too hard, too diligently to recreate past glories. Like at some point someone's looked through all the great early stuff and said oh yeah we need one like this, and one like that. The Planet Caravan-alike Zeitgeist is particularly guilty of this.

The thing is I still enjoy listening to it despite that and if they'd done something different I'd probably be grumbling, hankering for the old days. Damaged Soul is indeed excellent.

On a different note, there's a free sampler from Artery Records over at amazon that might appeal: clikety

@FuzzyDuck
    That Vio-lence album takes me back a bit. I'd forgotten how the vocals sounded :) Ed Repka artwork if I remember correctly.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 00:02:09 21-06-2013
  • FatsoJetson 20 Jun 2013 23:50:07 307 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Late to the party maybe but Black Breath are pretty damn good aren't they?
    Great band. Check out Trap Them and Nails too, if you haven't already.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Jun 2013 01:47:52 4,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie

A Repka job indeed! He was like the Unreal Engine 3 of 80s metal; every second release seemed to use him, and the result was everything had a funny sheen to it!

Joking aside, he's done more than his fare share of iconic covers, and has contributed to some of my all time fave records - I've considered the hourglass from Atheist's 'Piece Of Time' and the first skeleton on the right of Death's 'Scream Bloody Gore' as tattoos! Until I remembered about my fear of needles...

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 01:48:43 21-06-2013
  • Beetroot_Bertie 21 Jun 2013 09:38:38 294 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He was like thrash metal's go to guy for some time. The covers for the Death albums are ace, and I love the Hangar 18 single cover.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Jun 2013 08:01:26 38,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cooking with Phil Anselmo! I lost it at "5 Minutes On Low"

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Maturin 22 Jun 2013 08:59:59 3,105 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brilliant. "Cemetery Crepes"!!!!
  • BeheretiK 22 Jun 2013 09:10:12 884 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    New Gorguts! :D
    Yup, that sounds promising!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• robthehermit 22 Jun 2013 09:40:57 4,171 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:

That is genius.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Menace 22 Jun 2013 10:48:31 5,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Listen to the new Amon Amarth album here - legally btw.

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• FuzzyDuck 24 Jun 2013 18:47:43 4,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, heard Slayer's 'Psychopathy Red' today for the first time - probably their best tune since 'Gemini' or 'Dittohead'.

Is the rest of 'World Painted Blood' similarly decent enough to warrant a purchase?(albeit a cheap one)
  • MrSemprini 24 Jun 2013 19:08:36 9,422 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    So, heard Slayer's 'Psychopathy Red' today for the first time - probably their best tune since 'Gemini' or 'Dittohead'.

Is the rest of 'World Painted Blood' similarly decent enough to warrant a purchase?(albeit a cheap one)
    I am somewhat at a loss as to why you wouldn't listen to it first before considering a purchase.

Still, if you want to rely on the opinions of others rather than your own, it's the best one since Seasons although don't expect every track to be like Psychopathy Red - half the tracks are slower and longer, half are short-ish thrashers. Only one absolute duffer, Americon.
  • FuzzyDuck 24 Jun 2013 19:31:54 4,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A fair point! I've already exceeded my woefully small bandwidth cap for the month, so I'm limiting things to just surfing a few sites. And you know what to expect from Slayer too, as long as it's semi decent.

I've never really thought of it before, but they've been a fairly consistent band over the years; the only complete clanger they ever dropped was 'Diabolous In Musica', 'Christ Illusion' was pretty shit too, but at least it had a bit of bite to it.

Cheers Mr. S, with that in mind I'll add it to the 'snap up when randomly spotted on the cheap' list.
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Jun 2013 19:41:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

That is genius.
    It's good, but it's no Vegan Black Metal Chef...

http://youtu.be/eovuIfeH2k4
  • Page

of 296 First / Last