The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 261

• Page

of 289 First / Last

• Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 20:20:12 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ive been listening to the shit out of Evile recently.  What a class band...
    Plus lots of Judas Priest (mainly Painkiller, an amazing album)...
  • cheeky_prawnking 21 Apr 2013 20:22:52 4,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Goddamn the whole of Holy Diver rules.
    Fuck yeah.
  • Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 20:24:50 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    Fuck yeah.
    Fucking fact. Decadent....
  • thelzdking 21 Apr 2013 20:29:48 4,332 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Re; sub genre minutiae - I can understand why Mr. Tom could get cheesed off over it as berks that argue over whether say Desaster are a black metal band, a blackened trash band, or a blackened death, that kind of stuff absolutely annoys the tits off me.

However! The main divisions within metal, if a band is described as a doom band, then I have a rough expectation of what they'll sound like, same as with death, black, power, trash, grind, etc. These are fairly accurate titles.
    Pretty much this. Metal is a genre, death metal is a subgenre, 'blackened thrash death metal' is a description.
    I just remember frequenting the Metal Hammer forums like 10 years ago and getting SO pissed off with people arguing over fucking which fucking band is in which fucking sub-genre and then turning around and giving people shit because of the bands they listened to. Like they were the judge about how metal you were. Fuck off.

Which is why you don't see me in this thread so often, I still have the scars :)
    Yeah, sadly there's a lot of dickheads like that, and it seems to be particularly bad in metal. I've always theorised that the nature of metal music means that it attracts a lot of idiots.
    That's always made me wonder too. Some of the most intelligent people I know are into metal, but also some of the biggest meatheads I know are also into it. Maybe it's a case of a massively popular genre will invariably have fans across the spectrum. But I've yet to attend a classical recital or jazz gig where there's bottles of piss hurled, noses broken, etc.
    I think it's simpler than that: metal is fast, loud and heavy - the perfect aesthetic for a meathead.
  • Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 20:33:28 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Im sitting in a rural country pub here in Ireland and I'm quite drunk. Ive just put Judas Priest ( painkiller and electric eye) metallica (dyers eye) and Black Sabbath (NIB) on the jukebox.
    I am a king!!!
  • Dr.Haggard 21 Apr 2013 20:38:25 4,140 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    So true, and steeped in childhood memories for me. This makes me feel old, but I remember having Holy Diver and Last in Line on either side of a C90 when I was about 13 and listening to them to death on my walkman, mainly whilst doing my paper round and walking to and from school.

I actually went and bought Sacred Heart when it came out (also on cassette! Still got it somewhere) and remember not being quite as into it, but those first two albums were just utter perfection at the time.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 20:41:47 3,937 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    That Dio track's one of his best vocally imo. Ace. :D

And yeah. I've got long hair 'n' shit but I know exactly what you mean about definition arguments and some folks just breakin' out the short hair and cappa to escape it all.

It happens to everyone though; stupid shit becomes important until you learn to chill out and enjoy life :D

For me, a lot of the fun is playing music as well as talking about it and listening to it with friends... it's amazing how many of the people adamant what is and isn't metal never bother to play it. Machine Head fans lol ;)

Meh. I'm enjoying listening to this Dio track so much that I can't fully reply here 'cos I'm too busy dancing in the front room, much to the missus' distraction. Life is ace.
    The real thing that pushed me over the edge to go back to short hair was spending so much time in the fuckin' shower! :D

That's a huge thing I miss with a few of my good (metal lovin') mates, sitting around, chilling out with food and beers, spinning albums and talking about them. I remember one night bringing Death's 'Symbolic' and Dark Angel's 'Time Does Not Heal' out to a mate's - his roomie had never heard either before so we ordered a load of pizza and spun them back to back a few times; the infectious buzz of telling him to listen to this little lick or that drum pattern was immense, as well as introducing him to one of his all time fave albums. A great shared experience we still talk about years later!

As for playing music, I fart about on the bass and a snare pad, but nothing serious. Still, i get a good kick from picking out a riff or line!

Thread high five!
  • Maturin 21 Apr 2013 20:47:01 2,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got rid of the hair for similar reasons - was getting fed up of going to uni lectures dripping. But I did grow it again a few years after uni. But to be honest I was getting a bit thin on top and looked stupid.

Metal is an attitude, not a haircut.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 20:48:14 3,937 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    I fucking love Evile, they've got some insanely fast and tight riffing going on. Actually had their 3 albums on back to back yesterday! Wish I had the time/money to go see the upcoming gig with Kreator and Xentrix.

Have you heard anything from their upcoming album? (think it's called 'Skull').

As for Priest and Painkiller, 'One Shot At Glory' is one of the best ever closing tracks. That intro riff, oh yeah :D

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 20:48:28 21-04-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 20:58:15 3,937 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I got rid of the hair for similar reasons - was getting fed up of going to uni lectures dripping. But I did grow it again a few years after uni. But to be honest I was getting a bit thin on top and looked stupid.

Metal is an attitude, not a haircut.
    Ha, yeah my hair used to spend half the day tied up in a bun anyway (and it was a straight up health hazard working in a chemistry laboratory with it!) and I've a high forehead (albeit with a still thick-as head of hair), so it wasn't the best look to begin with.
  • Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 21:01:56 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    I fucking love Evile, they've got some insanely fast and tight riffing going on. Actually had their 3 albums on back to back yesterday! Wish I had the time/money to go see the upcoming gig with Kreator and Xentrix.

Have you heard anything from their upcoming album? (think it's called 'Skull').

As for Priest and Painkiller, 'One Shot At Glory' is one of the best ever closing tracks. That intro riff, oh yeah :D
    Im off to New Zealand soon so I cant really afford to go see Evile...
    Although I could spend the 30 quid and go see em.
    Kreator are class aswell. Solid German metal efficency. ..
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 21:06:09 3,937 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's the problem with going to gigs in Ireland (if you're fom outside of Dublin) it's the cost of the ticket, travel, accommodation (although I usually kip on a mate's couch in Dublin), the day or two taken off work to get to and from the gig.

It adds up!
  • warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 21:10:44 19,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reminds me of SOD's "United Forces".
    "It doesn't matter how you wear your hair.
    It's what's inside your head."

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 21:16:29 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    That's the problem with going to gigs in Ireland (if you're fom outside of Dublin) it's the cost of the ticket, travel, accommodation (although I usually kip on a mate's couch in Dublin), the day or two taken off work to get to and from the gig.

It adds up!
    Im from Limerick.  Its 20 euro return on the bus. It  isn't bad. But about 5 quid a pint in Dublin is. I take it you missed the siege Duck?
  • warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 21:18:43 19,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are there any doom festivals in Dublin that want an English band to come over and play?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 21:18:51 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Reminds me of SOD's "United Forces".
    "It doesn't matter how you wear your hair.
    It's what's inside your head."
    Exactly. Im short haired and dress like a joe soap.
    But when I tell people I love Sepultura Evile Megadeth etc. I get labeled a weirdo! !!
  • warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 21:22:16 19,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just get looked at like I'm homeless. Must be the beard. And jacket that's too big for me.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 21:24:52 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had longish hair and beard. I suppose its just the stigma of rural Ireland and being a metalhead!
  • Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 21:25:59 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ive a 1 euro coin. Any requests?
  • Deleted user 21 April 2013 21:31:22
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Fairies wear boots or into the void
  • Jacksie66 21 Apr 2013 21:43:06 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    Fairies wear boots or into the void
    Into the void by Exhorder perhaps?
  • robthehermit 22 Apr 2013 10:47:06 3,994 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Within Temptation - The Q Music Sessions.

It's pretty good if you like metal pop covers.

Edited by robthehermit at 10:47:20 22-04-2013

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Maturin 22 Apr 2013 10:49:52 2,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Within Temptation - The Q Music Sessions.

It's pretty good if you like metal pop covers.
    I was unsure of it due to the song selection. But one track I saw on YouTube was surprisingly good. I like a bit of WT.
  • FuzzyDuck 24 Apr 2013 17:09:40 3,937 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Jacksie66 (and everyone else!)

New Evile track "Underworld" is up for streaming here.

I like!
  • Jacksie66 25 Apr 2013 18:09:27 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @Jacksie66 (and everyone else!)

New Evile track "Underworld" is up for streaming here.

I like!
    Man, that is fucking awesome...
  • Syrette 26 Apr 2013 22:09:19 43,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More new DEP.

• andytheadequate 26 Apr 2013 23:56:32 8,085 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    That Dio track's one of his best vocally imo. Ace. :D

And yeah. I've got long hair 'n' shit but I know exactly what you mean about definition arguments and some folks just breakin' out the short hair and cappa to escape it all.

It happens to everyone though; stupid shit becomes important until you learn to chill out and enjoy life :D

For me, a lot of the fun is playing music as well as talking about it and listening to it with friends... it's amazing how many of the people adamant what is and isn't metal never bother to play it. Machine Head fans lol ;)

Meh. I'm enjoying listening to this Dio track so much that I can't fully reply here 'cos I'm too busy dancing in the front room, much to the missus' distraction. Life is ace.
    Although of course it was a sad day when RJD died, I still remember the sheer joy when I heard Holy Diver on Radio 1. I can just imagine the face of the average Radio 1 listener hearing Dio blast out of their radio...

In other news, what are people's opinions of Volbeat? Received an album for my birthday the other day and I absolutely love it...
  • BeheretiK 28 Apr 2013 14:07:18 883 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Moth Gatherer's début album, A Bright Celestial Light, is a stunning piece of progressive and experimental heavy music. Pretty sludgy but that is a bit of a disservice to them as it is so much more than just a sludge band. It is one of those albums that require a few listens but it is worth is IMO. Listen to it here:

http://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-bright-celestial-light

It is also on Spotify. It is really surprising how few listeners there are for them (only 124 on Last.fm at the moment) but if you are into bands like Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Breach, Pelican, Isis then you need to check this out!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Dr.Haggard 28 Apr 2013 14:45:30 4,140 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @BeheretiK Very nice, like everything about them except the vocals, which I'm hoping will grow on me. Very much in the vein of Transmission0, early Cult of Luna, Mouth of the Architect, Rosetta etc etc. Good stuff, cheers for the heads up.
  • orpheus 29 Apr 2013 19:35:52 994 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Not sure if anyone's been following the development of the new Tesseract album, but from the samplers they've released it sounds awesome.

Edited by orpheus at 09:27:21 30-04-2013
  • Page

of 289 First / Last