The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 257

• Page

of 298 First / Last

• JonFE 4 Apr 2013 23:29:07 1,452 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

Far be it from me to force my musical tastes to anyone; couldn't even if I wanted to. Been there for almost 30 years now, there's so much that have changed, so much I cannot follow as close as I used to. Also, there's just too many bands around nowadays, y'know, impossible to listen to them all, better yet fully evaluate them.

So, I stick to my own guns, keeping an ear open for something new that catches my attention once in a while, but truth be told, I'm more likely to purchase a limited re-issue of an album I already own (and love) than something entirely new blindly. Stupid I know, but old habits die hard.

There was a time back in the mid 90's, when seeing younger people getting into current metal bands or genres without any desire to dig into the past, used to get on my tits, but now that I'm older and wiser I fully understand that I was wrong to feel like this.
  • warlockuk 4 Apr 2013 23:38:26 19,198 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Boobs are awesome.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Jacksie66 4 Apr 2013 23:41:42 574 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Boobs are awesome.
    And vaginas..
  • RobTheBuilder 4 Apr 2013 23:57:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JonFE I also think now that with the Internet (as stated by dee snider of twisted sister in the metal documentary) metal heads are more aware of and more appreciative of the history of metal than ever before.
  • JonFE 5 Apr 2013 08:12:59 1,452 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

It certainly makes it easier (and cheaper :rolleyes: ) to do so. On the other hand, it's also easy to drown into a sea of new releases / bands available at a click of a button and lose your focus.
  • Megapocalypse 5 Apr 2013 09:08:25 5,483 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump for new page

Megapocalypse wrote: . I have a spare ticket to Helloween and Gamma Ray at The Forum, London on 16th April if anyone is interested. £28 ono. PM me.
  • Kovacs77 5 Apr 2013 19:12:01 374 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Bring Me The Horizon's Sempiternal is on Spotify.

5/5 in Kerrang apparently. 3 songs so far and liking it a lot.
    Juts listening to this now, loving it.
  • Syrette 5 Apr 2013 19:17:56 43,862 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forget BMTH - new earthtone9 is out. And it's a good one.

• RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 19:20:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kovacs77 that first track or two are amazing. Singles are great.
    It tails off a little at the end though, a few patchy lyrics.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 19:21:17 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Syrette shall have to have a listen, saw them back in 2001! Underrated band
  • Kovacs77 5 Apr 2013 20:29:36 374 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Kovacs77 that first track or two are amazing. Singles are great.
    It tails off a little at the end though, a few patchy lyrics.
    I got through the first 6 tracks without hearing anything I didn't think was brilliant.... This might break my addiction to the new Kvelertak album (which also tails off a bit in the second half but makes up for it by having a blinding last track)
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 20:35:32 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kovacs77 yeah the first half is excellent. Can see why it got 5/5. The first track chorus just screams to be turned up
  • Kovacs77 5 Apr 2013 20:36:23 374 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette I'll keep an eye out for Earthtone9 appearing on Deezer. Arc'tan'gent was a firm favourite.

Just found this while I was reminiscing.

Metal Hammer Albums of 2000

1. Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R
    2. Amen - We Have Come For Your Parents
    3. Monster Magnet - God Says No
    4. The Workhorse Movement - Sons Of The Pioneers
    5. A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
    6. Disturbed - The Sickness
    7. Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
    8. Pitchshifter - Deviant
    9. Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood
    10. At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command
    11. One Minute Silence - Buy Now ... Saved Later
    12. Deftones - White Pony
    13. My Ruin - A Prayer Under Pressure Of Violent Anguish
    14. The Offspring - Conspiracy Of One
    15. Soulfly - Primitive
    16. Earthtone 9 - Arc'tan'gent
    17. AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
    18. Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra
    19. Corrosion Of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer
    20. Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish & The Hotdog Flavored Water

The dying arse-end of nu-metal aside, that was good year.
  • StixxUK 5 Apr 2013 20:36:31 7,270 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Listening to the new BMTH, notes as I go through the album track by track. Never listened to them before, assumed they're shit.

1.) Sounds a bit like Skrillex-esque chart dubstep.
    2.) Sounds like punk with jittery guitars and a bit of Linkin Park. The vocals have a bit of someone I know but can't quite place. Keith Buckley (Every Time I Die)?
    3.) and 4.) starting to blend into one, not sure if I've heard these in a crappy rock club somewhere?
    5.) About to give up, not really doing it for me, but going to give it until the next track as the name is an MGS reference. Solo? Haven't noticed any until now.
    6.) This is OK. More what I was expecting. Linkin Park chorus. Time goes on... don't like it much.

End, writing this is getting dull.

Likes: lyrics make sense, decent diction, was expecting screamier.
    Dislikes: poppy, autotuney feeling not sure if it's just the electronics.

Overall not bad, can see why the kids like it, much, MUCH more poppy than I was expecting. I thought these guys were supposed to be "deathcore". I guess it's like a modern nu-metal, obviously influenced by Slipknot, Linkin Park and other bands from that time. It feels weird to hear something that has come from the music that I liked when I was 16 but had "grown out of" by the time I was 18.
  • Kovacs77 5 Apr 2013 20:39:17 374 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder I listened to the first track and had to double check that they were the same band that I thought BMTH were (if you know what I mean... I had an idea of what I thought they sounded like and this is way better than that, another level. Their last album was good, but not this good)
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 20:44:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Metal Hammer Albums of 2000

2. Amen - We Have Come For Your Parents
    Such a sadly forgotten band. The guitar riff at the end of Price of reality is still amazing.

7. Raging Speedhorn - Raging Speedhorn
    Thumper. Epic track.

8. Pitchshifter - Deviant
    Not their best, still good

9. Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood
    Not as bad as hindsight might suggest

10. At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command
    Incredible. Saw them live in 2000, most amazing live band performance I've ever seen

12. Deftones - White Pony
    Possibly the best metal album ever made.

20. Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish & The Hotdog Flavored Water
    Rubbish even then, even to someone who liked Significant Other.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 20:46:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kovacs77 exactly why I hate it when people judge them without listening
  • thelzdking 5 Apr 2013 20:55:51 4,378 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Listening to the new BMTH, notes as I go through the album track by track. Never listened to them before, assumed they're shit.

1.) Sounds a bit like Skrillex-esque chart dubstep.
    2.) Sounds like punk with jittery guitars and a bit of Linkin Park. The vocals have a bit of someone I know but can't quite place. Keith Buckley (Every Time I Die)?
    3.) and 4.) starting to blend into one, not sure if I've heard these in a crappy rock club somewhere?
    5.) About to give up, not really doing it for me, but going to give it until the next track as the name is an MGS reference. Solo? Haven't noticed any until now.
    6.) This is OK. More what I was expecting. Linkin Park chorus. Time goes on... don't like it much.

End, writing this is getting dull.

Likes: lyrics make sense, decent diction, was expecting screamier.
    Dislikes: poppy, autotuney feeling not sure if it's just the electronics.

Overall not bad, can see why the kids like it, much, MUCH more poppy than I was expecting. I thought these guys were supposed to be "deathcore". I guess it's like a modern nu-metal, obviously influenced by Slipknot, Linkin Park and other bands from that time. It feels weird to hear something that has come from the music that I liked when I was 16 but had "grown out of" by the time I was 18.
    When they first started they were a chuggy metalcore (or 'deathcore' to use the marketing term) band and they were a lot more 'brutal' than they are now. They were still embarrassingly rubbish though.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 5 Apr 2013 23:38:09 771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    God says no is a fucking great album!

Arsechickens

• MrSemprini 8 Apr 2013 11:23:19 9,422 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New Ghost leaked yesterday. After having given it several spins, it has proved itself a worthy follow up to Opus Eponymous, so if you liked that, fill your boots.
  • warlockuk 8 Apr 2013 12:20:45 19,198 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently Black Sabbath are touring at the end of the year - at £62 a ticket. Presumably for 3/4 of Sabbath.

62 fucking quid!

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 8 Apr 2013 18:41:12 4,451 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Apparently Black Sabbath are touring at the end of the year - at £62 a ticket. Presumably for 3/4 of Sabbath.

62 fucking quid!
    Fuck that... Considering Ozzy probably has to be directed around the stage it's more like half the band.

Is anyone actually looking forward to their new record? The sampler sounds like a reasonable riff, but considering there's plenty of young doom/trad metal/whatever bands that'll shit all over them, I don't see the point in going out and spending money on it when it drops.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Apr 2013 22:05:42 38,903 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just found this old photo of me from when I was 18 and met Fear Factory. I'm 33 now and my God I have changed :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• FuzzyDuck 8 Apr 2013 23:21:25 4,451 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fucking hell, is Burt your uncle?!
  • drip 9 Apr 2013 00:51:21 4,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After centuries, I started listening to Black Sabbath again. I ripped all CDs I collected since I was eleven years old (which means, every single studio album), and listening to all of them now. Memories and plain awesome music.

And I have to say, everything they made is, if not always great, at least good and interesting. Even the four from Technical Ecstasy to Mob Rules. Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are weird and all over the place to say the least, but somehow I enjoy even them.

Current track: Supernaut. One of the best songs in music history. Beethoven would be envious.

I might name one exception to everything being good. "It's Alright" is one of the worst atrocities in music history. Which makes it weirdly interesting again though.
  • drip 9 Apr 2013 00:57:36 4,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

62 fucking quid!
    Fuck that... Considering Ozzy probably has to be directed around the stage it's more like half the band.

Is anyone actually looking forward to their new record? The sampler sounds like a reasonable riff, but considering there's plenty of young doom/trad metal/whatever bands that'll shit all over them, I don't see the point in going out and spending money on it when it drops.
    I first thought, well, you don't know how long Ozzy's going to be alive. But then, after what he consumed in his life, he's an immortal undead, and likely to survive a nuclear blast.

I'm not excited about their new album however. After Forbidden, they started trying to be like early on, which they aren't anymore. I'll probably buy it, being an old fan, but I don't expect a lot.

Iommi's solo album was great imo, but I'd be surprised if the new one was actually good.
  • thelzdking 9 Apr 2013 01:41:15 4,378 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've also started listening to Sabbath again; you forget how good they are. I've been favouring live material, the 1975 Asbury bootleg is well worth tracking down.
  • drip 9 Apr 2013 02:28:58 4,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I find it funny how Ozzy is probably the most untalented singer in the world, but has become the most iconic one because he's just so special and unmistakeable. Usually, it's the iconic and charismatic people rather than the most technically adept who leave a mark.

Think Kurt Cobain, or the Beatles, who were technically terrible too. Or Black Sabbath's own Tony Iommi, who in his early years wasn't exactly a good guitarist (listening to Vol.4 right now, the sloppy playing even on a studio album can be embarrassing), but with his riffing power was one of the most influential musicians in rock music history.

So, who's the greatest Black Sabbath singer? I really like Tony Martin for example, and find it very weak how Sabbath afterwards tried to remove that era from history, even though he was after Ozzy the most allegiant Sabbath singer. And he certainly was good. I also liked Ian Gillain on Born Again.

But imo, the best vocal performance in Sabbath history was Dio on Dehumanizer. Still gives me the creeps.
  • thelzdking 9 Apr 2013 02:52:45 4,378 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He certainly hasn't got the strongest voice, it does though, as you say, have a unique quality. However I'd say that he was a good singer in the sense that he uses his voice to such great musical effect. In the live material I've been listening you get a real sense of how his vocals make Sabbath what it is. That's not to say he doesn't miss a fair few notes, although it doesn't seem to detract from the music.
  • drip 9 Apr 2013 03:14:55 4,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quite so. Tony Martin is a much better singer in principle, but he lacks that special "oomph" that Ozzy had. They wouldn't have been the same even with Dio.

edit: and if you look at Paranoid, their most popular song, it's actually a very primitive song written in five or ten minutes. Geezer wrote the lyrics and later said Ozzy had to read it from the sheet while recording. Best proof of how the most rubbish things end up being the most iconic imo.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 03:18:06 09-04-2013
  • Page

of 298 First / Last