The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 2

• Page

of 289 First / Last

• Syrette 14 Jan 2004 23:25:38 43,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    freylis,can cave in really be put under the metal genre of music any more?up to the release of 'jupiter',yes they were very good,but that was some time ago,and there music is much,much lighter nowadays (but i still really like it) to the point labelling it as metal seems quite wrong.

• Freylis 15 Jan 2004 08:31:02 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    freylis,can cave in really be put under the metal genre of music any more?
    I still think they class as hardcore, and the two often sit side by side. When I declared this thread an appreciation of metal, that also includes hardcore, and industrial, and goth, and even just honest-to-goodness hard rock. Cave In have indeed gotten less heavy with every record, but I agree with you that it's a good thing. I'd also say they're still metal enough to fit into this picture, as are bands like Favez, Rival Schools and Jimmy Eat World. Yes, they're not strictly "metal", but it's the same umbrella; loud, guitar-led, emotional music.

And yea, Avenged Sevenfold do indeed shred. Much better than the similarly-styled Killswitch Engage as well.
  • no 15 Jan 2004 10:15:08 297 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I highly recommend you lot all go and listen to earthtone 9 if you haven't done already. They're one of the most criminally underrated bands of the last few years.. off kilter enhancement is a good place to start, got a good hardcore/metal sound with a bit of melody thrown in here and there to keep things interesting.

A band I wouldn't class as metal, but going with the whole 'emotion and energy' thing, Shellac are another great one, 1000 hurts has some of the angriest songs I've heard in a while.

Incidentally is anyone going to this years all tomorrows parties (Isis be playing there)? http://www.atpfestival.com

Edited by no at 10:15:43 15-01-2004
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Jan 2004 10:33:34 37,337 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to quite like Kill II This until Mark Mynett disappeared up his own arse.

Oh and HURRAH! Fear Factory are making another record. I've met them and everything!!!

Not that they're a patch on Maiden of course.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Freylis 15 Jan 2004 12:28:23 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rather than bumping the thread, I thought I'd link to it here. Can somebody help me please?

Linky-doo
  • Freylis 16 Jan 2004 10:17:12 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ...and you can add another to that list as well Vermin!

I've just received The Prophecy's debut album Ashes from Blackdoom.com. It's the first album release on the label, so it's got that novelty first edtion serial number! :)

Anyway, if you like My Dying Bride mixed with Opeth, you're onto a winner with these guys. It's absolutely fuxing awesome! They're British which helps, but they've also got their own sound. It's only a tenner from the website, and is well worth the money. Best debut I've heard in a while, hands down.
  • Freylis 16 Jan 2004 11:14:35 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vermin wrote:
    British.. yeah.. that doesn't help me none..
    By that I meant from the same place as My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, etc. They're all from Yorkshire you see, so it's got that northern doom sound... :)
  • Syrette 16 Jan 2004 14:57:26 43,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    no wrote:
    I highly recommend you lot all go and listen to earthtone 9 if you haven't done already. They're one of the most criminally underrated bands of the last few years.. off kilter enhancement is a good place to start, got a good hardcore/metal sound with a bit of melody thrown in here and there to keep things interesting.

A band I wouldn't class as metal, but going with the whole 'emotion and energy' thing, Shellac are another great one, 1000 hurts has some of the angriest songs I've heard in a while.

Incidentally is anyone going to this years all tomorrows parties (Isis be playing there)? http://www.atpfestival.com

Edited by no at 10:15:43 15-01-2004
    i agree.but if you're going to listen to the now sadly defunct earthtone9 then i'd recommend listening to some 'the blueprint' as well.ex pitchshifter and earthtone members so naturally it's good.

and while i'm here,has anyone heard,or heard of the emo band 'armsbendback'?
    they sound quite a bit like thursday,and their album 'waiting room' is some good shit.

• Gorgoroth_II 16 Jan 2004 15:20:21 42 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    You'd do well to check out Shub-Niggurath. They're a death metal band from Mexico (at least, I think they're from Mexico), and obviously, they're heavily influenced by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft and the whole "Cthulhu Mythos". Not to be mistaken with the French eclectic-Jazz band of the same name - although you can't go far wrong with them either!
  • no 24 Feb 2004 11:19:58 297 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quote-y bit:
    "i agree.but if you're going to listen to the now sadly defunct earthtone9 then i'd recommend listening to some 'the blueprint' as well.ex pitchshifter and earthtone members so naturally it's good."

mr. middleton (singer blokey for earthtone9 and blueprint) seems to be quite busy, i found this site: www.twinzero.net a week or two ago...
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 24 Feb 2004 11:24:05 37,337 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooooh, I think I'll recommend the band SecondNature to you all. Its all to do with the fact they're great and nothing to do with the fact I'm friends with the guitarists girlfriend of course.

ANYWAY http://www.secondnature1.com/ is the web addy if you do feel inclined to have a look.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Freylis 24 Feb 2004 11:25:50 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Discovered a few interesting black metal bands over the weekend. None of them are particularly new, but I've not heard anything by them until now. So, to add to the appreciation list:

Mystic Circle
    Nachtmystium
    Funeral Mist
    Nightfall

Oh, and I should have put these boys down before:

Rotting Christ

Just listened to Genesis again over the weekend, and it's easily as good as my previous favourite Sleep Of The Angels. If you like these, you'll like fellow Greeks Nightfall mentioned above. Keep 'em coming!
  • sunjumper 24 Feb 2004 12:38:07 3,182 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    "I love Rhapsody."

I second that and add Blind Guardian.

There seem to be a few people here that seem to enjoy heavy metal quite a bit.
    Maybe you could help me out. I my self do enjoy heavy metal quite a bit but I am always loath to try out new bands as there are many really crappy artists around and I would hate to spend money for bad music.
    Also my idea of savouring music does not include standing in a store for hours listening to CD. To make matters worse with metal I usually need some time to get a feeling for the music before can truly appreciate it, so standing around skipping tracks to get an idea of the music I am about to buy does not normally work.

Apart form the bands mentioned above I also liked Sonata Arctica very much. I can’t help but like Manowar for some reason (although the last album was in my eyes quite a disappointment) as well as Hammerfall.
    In general I like my metal melodic and I think epic might be the right word. Any pointers?

Bonus question which band got you to into metal and if you remember which album was it that converted you? I started with Helloween and ‘Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 + ‘ fifteen years ago...

• thrawn 24 Feb 2004 12:42:14 891 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone going to Bloodstock this year? Went to the first one and last years. Both were brilliant and am planning to go again this year. Lots of great bands and drunken metallers.
  • raff 24 Feb 2004 13:14:13 183 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't take metal where the singers are just growling as if taken over by satan seems silly cant hear the lyrics which are normally really good.

Depends what your classing as metal im afraid i like softer stuff nine inch nails nirvana and korn soz guys
  • Freylis 25 Feb 2004 17:21:09 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    /joins thread somewhat later than he would have liked due to dentist-inspired-pain.

I'm with Lemmy on the Darkness, they're a caberet act fit for playing Wigan Pier.

Death to FALSE METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/moshes away to Into the Lungs of Hell
    What do you think of Into The Lungs Of Hell? I quite like it, but I can't help feeling that they're trying to sound too much like Amon Amarth. Still, not listened to it in a while and it may just grow on me...
  • MikeD 25 Feb 2004 17:23:45 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The new mayhem, hmmm.

Who are in the band now?
  • MikeD 25 Feb 2004 17:42:17 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah i did know what you meant :-).

I was just wondering if there were any changes in their line-up?
  • timo180 25 Feb 2004 17:43:22 2,686 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm in way over my head here
    Gets coat/
  • silentbob 25 Feb 2004 18:00:50 28,948 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Freylis wrote:
    ...and you can add another to that list as well Vermin!

I've just received The Prophecy's debut album Ashes from Blackdoom.com. It's the first album release on the label, so it's got that novelty first edtion serial number! :)

Anyway, if you like My Dying Bride mixed with Opeth, you're onto a winner with these guys. It's absolutely fuxing awesome! They're British which helps, but they've also got their own sound. It's only a tenner from the website, and is well worth the money. Best debut I've heard in a while, hands down.
    Holy Sheeite! I used to work with a guy from My Dying Bride. Good bloke actually - I have a load of My Dying Bride CD's he gave me that I've not listened to as yet. Are they like 'big' now?

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• damnit! 4 Mar 2004 12:08:48 81 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    isn't metal a bit noisy ?
    we're far from music, closer to circus....
    /runs away
  • damnit! 4 Mar 2004 12:23:28 81 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    MOZART
    anyway, leave it alone, forget my post and have a nice day ;)

Edited by damnit! at 12:26:15 04-03-2004
  • Deleted user 4 March 2004 12:53:54
    I've read today that Meshuggah will be releasing a new album this autumn entitled Catch 33! Dunno about you but Meshuggah are imo the best thing that's happened to metal since Elvis.
  • Freylis 4 Mar 2004 14:14:22 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Heck, Megadeth are Megadeth, fantastic up to Youthanasia and a bit pants afterwards. I prefer some of their older stuff which is a bit rawer...
    Oops! Crossed wires I think; I was talking about God Dehtroned's new album Into The Lungs Of Hell... totally forgot about the classic Megadeth track. My bad! ^^
  • Page

of 289 First / Last