The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 389

• Page

of 389 First / Last

Next
  • StixxUK 26 Jan 2018 14:53:27 7,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Out of that list of Thrash bands, I'd prioritise Vektor and Power Trip.

Also Havok are great!

On Machine Head, I think the Blackening was decent and actually better than Through The Ashes of Empires. TtAoE really only had one properly good song, Imperium. Davidian is still in a class of its own though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2018 17:33:38 5,586 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vhol do a thrash thing well too

Imperium is basically just Davidian all over again but then Davidian is fan-flipping-tastic
  • StixxUK 26 Jan 2018 18:06:53 7,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes Vhol are awesome and a bit weird!
  • GoatApocalypse 26 Jan 2018 21:39:06 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been listening to Lunar Aurora a lot lately. German melodic black metal is a very particular niche but they're at the top of that pile. Up there with Nagelfar, at least. Seelenfeuer and Mond are unbelievably good.

New Portal out today. They're a genuinely unique outfit. Nothing sounds like Portal. Nothing. It's like Meshuggah if Meshuggah was genuinely fucked up, burned out on too much bad acid and H. P. Lovecraft. Swarth is their high point, an absolutely devastating record, but Vexovoid has grown on me despite its more direct, melodic and coherent approach. ION continues that trend and sounds faster, more aggressive. More human. I'm intrigued. But perhaps not yet convinced. Portal at its best is like an alien parasite; it's draining, leaves you slightly weakened and seems insurmountable. Beyond comprehension. ION is more... mechanical. Technical. Like Escher, it's infuriating in its complexity and its architecture is maddening but only because it's minor subversion of the way our world works. One senses there's a key and a structure that exists only slightly beyond us. Incomprehensible, but perhaps navigable.

Anyway, check it out.

http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/ion
  • Rubbatiti 26 Jan 2018 21:42:59 25 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @Chug666 Shrapnel, havok, warbringer, warbeast, suicidal angels.
  • Duffking 26 Jan 2018 22:04:35 15,233 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    VHOL's first album is a bit more into black metal territory iirc, the second is pretty darn thrashy though for sure. Are they due a third?

I can't stop listening to Tarot lately. I think The Emperor might be my favourite short melodeath song ever.

• simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jan 2018 23:46:49 5,586 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Portal doesn't even sound like it's being made by humans half the time
  • GoatApocalypse 29 Jan 2018 07:58:56 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vassafor - Invocations of Darkness

https://youtu.be/X1DgCNv9KdQ

Cavernous, morbid death metal. There's an hour and a half of material across this 3-disc compilation - the length alone is intimidating, but the music is surprisingly accessible. There are riffs aplenty here, and a good deal of the tracks settle into a riotous mid-paced groove. Vassafor are just as happy slowing things down as they are speeding up, and - personal gripes about the thinness of the production aside - the whole thing is an exceptionally well balanced and intoxicating listen.

Hard to pick a direct point of reference but Mitochondrion is the closest I can think of.
  • GoatApocalypse 31 Jan 2018 08:41:36 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Portal - ION

Has really gone up in my estimation. Phreqs is absolutely huge:

https://youtu.be/ux4gIfyI5h0

At this point I'd even be tempted to say it's their third best, behind Swarth and Seepia.
  • StixxUK 2 Feb 2018 08:56:35 7,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Far more rock than metal, but the new Turbonegro album is out today! Didn't have high hopes but first impressions are very good! Only listened to the first half so far.
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Feb 2018 20:14:13 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, why did no-one tell me that a Perfect Circle are back and absolutely banging:

https://youtu.be/SDvfbvuJtS8

I'll freely admit that I've always enjoyed APC more than Maynard's other band - only listened to this track of the three they've released so far, and I'm excited to hear the rest now.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 5 Feb 2018 22:04:12 390 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another one for you. Album due sometime this year :)

And another one from Priest... Production sounds so much better than the last album.

• Kovacs77 5 Feb 2018 22:28:16 558 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse Disillusioned is my favourite of the three, it's absolutely brilliant, can't wait for the album. Been on a bit of a Maynard binge recently, love the Live at Red Rocks APC album and the latest Puscifer, never heard either of them before.
  • StixxUK 5 Feb 2018 23:32:23 7,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been listening to Immolation recently. I think if someone asked me "what does death metal sound like" (which is a very tricky question when it covers everything from Morbid Angel to Opeth) I would play Immolation for them!
  • FuzzyDucky 6 Feb 2018 02:48:45 2,945 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was going to say for fans of weirdo death metal (which it is), but it's got Jason McMaster of Watchtower fame on vocals, so death "urrrgghhhhssss" ain't happening here.

Really loving this (partially due to Hanness Grossmann aka my favourite drummer of the last 20 years being involved), will certainly be up there for my end of 2018 list.

Edited by FuzzyDucky at 02:49:48 06-02-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 7 Feb 2018 08:38:15 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As they've a new one out shortly, been listening to Embrace of Thorns a lot lately.

Praying for Absolution is arguably their high water mark, retaining the sinister and oppressive atmosphere of their earlier material but moving away from the raw, bestial aggression into a more refined death metal sound; all while bringing the motherfucking RIFFS.

https://youtu.be/wkygCvo0Jvc

Their previous album, Atonement Ritual, is an absolute rager and a real favourite of mine but their most recent, Darkness Impenetrable, fell a bit flat. Not bad, but ponderous and went long on atmosphere without ever making it feel as oppressive and, well, heavy.

It's tough to recommend For I See Death in Their Eyes to anyone but the most ardent fans of Nuclear War Now!'s roster, but all the other three are worth a spin if you're after some very grim Greek death metal.
  • GoatApocalypse 9 Feb 2018 08:35:08 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PERTURBATOR - New Model

Somehow, despite being a huge fan, this passed me by last year. It amounts to a pretty significant change of direction, a much harsher and more aggressive sound that verges on industrial.

https://youtu.be/qEoxu0_8uZU

If Dangerous Days was the soundtrack to Blade Runner that never was, New Model is the soundtrack for a world in which Skynet has total control.

Great listening.
  • Bleh 9 Feb 2018 11:33:11 295 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Normally I'm not a big fan of female vocals in my metal music but Devilskin is something different.

• wuntyphyve 9 Feb 2018 12:49:44 9,793 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse Good shout, I love Perturbator.
  • RichDC 11 Feb 2018 16:57:31 7,640 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well after 8 years since their last album, Therion have a new one. A three hour long concept album based around the Antichrist. :eek: Its basically an opera with metal influences, and could take sometime to fully listen to and appreciate. :lol:
  • thelzdking 11 Feb 2018 18:22:15 6,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I always think Therion got a bit silly after Symphony Masses, but they're still enjoyable so I'll have to give this bonkers thing a go when I find the time.
  • StixxUK 11 Feb 2018 18:45:30 7,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse Perturbator makes (really) great music, but I'm not keen on the overly sexual album covers. They're well-done but also a bit embarrassing.

Along similar lines, Carpenter Brut are playing live in London on Friday and it looks like there are still tickets. Considering attending!
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Feb 2018 19:54:41 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really like their covers - I think they are a pretty much perfect match, aesthetically!
  • Beetroot_Bertie 12 Feb 2018 16:59:30 390 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carpenter Brut are playing live in London on Friday and it looks like there are still tickets. Considering attending!
    Do it! I'd imagine it'd be great. Love his trilogy of EPs.

In a less enthusiastic tone, it seems Glenn Tipton has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and will be stepping down for the touring. Any Sneap will be representing.

MetalSucks news
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Feb 2018 17:25:21 2,945 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's a pity about Tipton, he's had a good run of things at least. Has Sneap actually played on much bar the Sabbat stuff? He was still a nipper when he recorded those albums, was fairly lethal back then.
  • StixxUK 12 Feb 2018 18:07:34 7,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn't he in the band Hell?
  • JonFE 12 Feb 2018 18:20:49 1,782 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, he's in Hell :)

Pity about Tipton, Judas are headlining Rockwave here (in Greece) this summer and I was looking forward to see them live again; of course health comes first.
  • Chug666 14 Feb 2018 15:33:57 375 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm in the middle of a Slipknot regression- hadn't really listened to any of their albums for years, and I fear I no longer fit into their target demographic, but fuck me they did put out some good self-indulgent racket. Vol. 3 holds up particularly well.
  • GoatApocalypse 15 Feb 2018 08:02:24 3,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely not metal but one of my favourite albums of all time nonetheless:

https://youtu.be/AUQpHPPbdCI

The journey Ulver have been on over 20 years is incredible. This is probably their best work, but that's being incredibly harsh on 4 other masterpieces in their discography.

Perdition City occupies a very specific niche in my mind and harkens back to a time when I discovered some of my favourite books (House of Leaves and The New York Trilogy among them), with which the music seemed a perfect fit. Scratch that, it seemed as if the album had been created as a soundtrack to those books. Hell, maybe it was - Hallways of Always seems a very specific reference to House of Leaves.

If I could, I'd hook the future noir aesthetic directly into my veins.

Unusually for Ulver, Garm's vocals are almost entirely unremarkable, relegated to little more than a cameo (but what a cameo). He brings real emotional depth to the album when he features, though, and anchors its cold, scuttling electro-jazz with melancholy and longing (this is similar to the trick Perturbator plays on Dangerous Days and The Uncanny Valley).

This is a remarkably work of art and while I'd urge everyone to listen to it, it'll go down a real treat with those of you that enjoy noir and cyberpunk.
  • Page

of 389 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.