The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 386

• Page

of 387 First / Last

• GoatApocalypse 13 Dec 2017 17:40:02 3,321 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blood Music will be publishing and distributing video games!
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Dec 2017 21:21:38 3,321 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Album of the year, comrades?

Impossible to look past Venenum - Trance of Death for me.
  • RichDC 14 Dec 2017 21:34:30 7,617 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think it's got to be Threshold - Legend of the Shires for me. Been a lot of good stuff this year though.
  • samharper 15 Dec 2017 07:39:56 946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Probably Passages - Lucid, it'd be fantastic as a real band but considering it's just a side project (Josh Middleton from Sylosis) it boggles my mind. Also very much enjoyed Cold Dark Place from Mastodon, and my non metal pick would be The Spark from Enter Shikari.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Dec 2017 08:51:01 5,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Probably Heartless by Pallbearer given how much I've listened to it
  • FuzzyDucky 15 Dec 2017 11:12:56 2,743 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Suffering Hour - "In Passing Ascension" annnddd
    Artificial Brain - "Infrared Horizon" for me.

Also nods to Converge and Immolation for putting out their best records in many years. And Akercocke for the best comback of the year.
  • Duffking 15 Dec 2017 11:22:09 15,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the new Threshold album was kind of dull personally.

Top 5 picks for me this year probably:

Aether Realm - Tarot
    Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
    Horrified - Allure of the Fallen
    Archspire - Relentless Mutilation
    Akercocke - Renaissance in Extremis

Honorable mentions:

Artificial Brain - Infrared Horizon
    Beyond Grace - Seekers
    The Black Dahlia Murder - Nightbringers
  • OllyJ 15 Dec 2017 11:56:44 3,923 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Skyforest - Unity
    Bodycount - Bloodlust
    Der Weg einer Freiheit - Finisterre
    Trivium - Sin and the sentence
    The Contortionist - Clairvoyant

Anathema and Paradise Lost both had an off year for me unfortunately.
  • Dr.Haggard 15 Dec 2017 12:22:54 4,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Can't pick one, so I'll follow Duffking's lead and go with a top 5:

Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven
    The Moth Gatherer - The Comfortable Low (do EPs count?)
    Junius - Eternal Rituals for the Accretion of Light
    Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
    The Ruins Of Beverast - Exuvia

Edit: I forgot Amenra - Mass VI. I guess it's a top 6 now.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 12:26:19 15-12-2017
  • OllyJ 15 Dec 2017 16:00:18 3,923 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh yeah Power Trip was a hoot!
  • DrStrangelove 15 Dec 2017 16:27:22 11,663 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a bit out of touch with metal, but these posts make excellent Youtube suggestion lists, thanks everyone.

edit: seems I'm more out of touch than I thought... guess metal isn't really my thing anymore, except for a choice few bands

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:19:37 15-12-2017
  • wuntyphyve 15 Dec 2017 18:06:14 9,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Out of the voiceless grave- the lurking fear
    Codex omega - septicflesh

For me. Although there’s still a few albums for me to listen to.

Thanks samharper for reminding me that Enter Shikari have a new album out :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Dec 2017 18:32:23 5,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Big love for Bell Witch's Mirror Reaper from me too but it's not been out that long for me to have fully digested it.
  • pk1980 15 Dec 2017 22:31:55 870 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @OllyJ I felt the same about anathema.

Daniel Cavanagh's solo album feels more like what it should have been.
  • Dr.Haggard 16 Dec 2017 01:47:05 4,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DrStrangelove What do you like?

DrStrangelove wrote:
    guess metal isn't really my thing anymore, except for a choice few bands
    Do you mean you've gone off it, or you think the genre as a whole has moved away from what you enjoyed? I doubt either of those things are true. There are so many wildly different sub-genres these days you could easily find two people who listen to 'metal' but find no common ground whatsoever. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, and I reckon it's one of the richest and most diverse genres around, loosely describing music that spans an enormous spectrum.

These year-end lists already reflect some of that diversity, but it's the tip of the iceberg, and only a year. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff around that's up your particular alley.
  • JoelStinty 16 Dec 2017 12:41:05 6,032 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I'm a bit out of touch with metal, but these posts make excellent Youtube suggestion lists, thanks everyone.

edit: seems I'm more out of touch than I thought... guess metal isn't really my thing anymore, except for a choice few bands
    This time of year is great for discovering new bands. There are so many great blogs and music websites where you can just type into spotify and just check them out. I guess as you get older you have less time to devote to spending all day checking out bands.

I wouldn't call myself a metal afficiando - I tend to like most genres, as for me, growing up on bands like Pink Floyd i could hear most genres within their work. So any thing like opeth and porcupine tree i love, which then shoots off to listening to ihsahn, then on to emperor and mayhem haha.

But this year? Really liked the BellWitch record and Elder records, Power Trip and Krallice records were good too. Rope sect album is a pretty cool too, if you like..shoegaze metal? haha, think if you like Ghost or Tribulation you like it.
  • DrStrangelove 16 Dec 2017 13:30:57 11,663 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to love metal as a teenager, the noise, the guitars, the drums, the headbanging, the festivals drowned in beer etc. I listened to all black metal I could get my hands on, also a lot of thrash metal and some death metal. But with time I really lost interest in all that, to be honest I'm rather annoyed by it.

The only metal band I actively listen to is Shining, and sometimes Mayhem and Triptykon. Rarely some of the classics (Judas Priest, Slayer) and BM classics (Burzum, Gorgoroth). I listen to the former three because they express certain emotions, they just happen to be metal bands.

It reminds me of some of the last concerts I visited about 5 years ago (all because of Shining). One was a festival with 8 bands or so, drove 150km there, watched Shining, went home--to the disbelief of some other attendees that I was just about to miss Amorphis who were next. I didn't care. On another one, Shining was followed by headliner Satyricon, who I'd never seen live and who I was a huge fan of in the late 90s. I left after one song because it annoyed me.

I do know some other bands in that range I like, I do find new ones from time to time online, for example Young and In the Way (Youtube is pretty good for finding them actually), although lately there's not much else I need than Shining.

Metal is very broad, and the stuff I enjoy is too few and far between for me. The vast majority I just can't enjoy a tiny bit anymore. I find other things far more enjoyable today, mostly different kinds of electronic music, and for good measure I played a soul compilation on Youtube yesterday for no good reason, but I enjoyed that more than very most metal.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 13:36:21 16-12-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 16 Dec 2017 16:37:52 2,743 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I find myself thinking of music I enjoy and music I don't enjoy, genre be damned.

I recall being in a record shop about ten years ago and going up to the counter with Morbid Angel's "Blessed are the Sick", Terrorizor's "World Downfall", the freshly released reissues of Sabbat's "History of a Time to Come" and "Dreamweaver". Also in that stash was Chic's "C'est Chic".

The guy on the till says "sorry mate that one get mixed in" and shows me the Chic album. I told him it didn't get mixed it and it'll be by far the most played out of all of those.

Edit - I definitely don't enjoy metal gigs anymore. Best live music I've seen this year were a swing band and a funk/disco group.

Edited by FuzzyDucky at 16:39:40 16-12-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 16 Dec 2017 16:41:43 2,743 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    samharper wrote:
    Probably Passages - Lucid, it'd be fantastic as a real band but considering it's just a side project (Josh Middleton from Sylosis) it boggles my mind.
    Must give this a go. Sylosis are miles from being my favourite band, but yer man Middleton is quite the musician.
  • RichDC 6 Jan 2018 09:24:11 7,617 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Summoning - With Doom We Come seems to have kicked the year of to a good start. Going to need a good few listens though.
  • GoatApocalypse 12 Jan 2018 21:37:28 3,321 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Listening to Grave Pleasures - Motherblood a lot lately. It's a good album - but this track is an absolute banger: https://youtu.be/xvdnT4esPzQ
  • samharper 13 Jan 2018 00:13:48 946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like that!

I've been listening to some more "djent"-y stuff. Particular favourites at the moment being Invent, Animate (Northlane 2.0) and Slice the Cake:

• FatsoJetson 13 Jan 2018 01:00:21 351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of my favourite albums of last year, which was only recommended to me in the final week of December.

Squalus - The Great Fish
    https://squalus.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-fish

A concept album based on the screenplay to Jaws, played on two bass guitars, keyboards and drums. Sounds weird; is actually brilliant, I reckon. It's on Spotify too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2018 06:53:06 5,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Who are we expecting albums from this year?

A few of my favourite bands put out stuff last year and I've been too busy with work to keep up with what might be on the horizon
  • samharper 13 Jan 2018 14:58:40 946 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bleed from Within (deathcore band from Glasgow) releasing their first album in 5 years, new Sylosis at least recorded this year and new Architects as well I'm fairly sure. Busy time as Josh Middleton is in Sylosis and Architects and the drummer for Bleed from Within is also in Sylosis.

In Flames are due a new album this year as they tend to bring out one every two years, not necessarily a good thing, Battles was pretty shit. Think it's been 2 years since the last Amon Amarth as well.

New At The Gates due this year but since the lead songwriter left last year not sure that one will be any good.

Oh yeah the new Machine Head album comes out within the next two weeks but the singles have been pretty shit...

Edited by samharper at 15:09:18 13-01-2018
  • DrStrangelove 13 Jan 2018 20:09:43 11,663 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Shining's "X - Varg utan flock" was released last week if anyone cares. I think it's not bad, but doesn't live up to the standards of earlier albums. I think it continues the trend of relatively halfhearted and uninspired releases with decreasing appeal. Probably my least favourite album so far. 7/10.

• GoatApocalypse 13 Jan 2018 21:41:56 3,321 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:

A few of my favourite bands put out stuff last year and I've been too busy with work to keep up with what might be on the horizon
    Portal and Necros Christos
  • DrStrangelove 13 Jan 2018 22:04:45 11,663 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stumbled over Taake's newest album though, which was released some 7 weeks ago. Some pretty nice old-school BM for a, erm, change.

• simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2018 22:20:27 5,284 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse shit I'd forgotten about Portal that first preview track was dense
  • StixxUK 13 Jan 2018 23:19:57 7,835 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bit late but my favourite metal album of 2017 was Nightmare Logic by Power Trip (Executioner's Tax was an instant classic). Would love to see these guys live, but they only ever seem to play supporting gigs over here -Hatebreed and Trivium coming up.

Also listened to the Mastodon album quite a bit, mainly in (failed) attempts to love it.
  • Page

of 387 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.