The Official Metal Appreciation Thread® Page 380

• Page

of 384 First / Last

• simpleexplodingmaybe 28 May 2017 14:57:18 4,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd never consciously heard Shinedown before seeing them with Maiden earlier in the tour. They were exactly what I'd imagine a band with a name like that to sound like and just as bad too.
  • Slurmseh 28 May 2017 20:42:20 2,528 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apple Music is shit at helping me find new music. Any good prog or power metal stuff that I've missed recently?
  • Beetroot_Bertie 29 May 2017 00:04:31 378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You might like Avenged Sevenfold's 'The Stage'. I picked it up on a whim from HMV a while ago, not being familiar with band and I think it's rather good, quite varied and progressive in some ways. Took me a while to get used to the vocals but it's a bit of a grower.
  • drhickman1983 29 May 2017 00:18:13 4,932 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ayreon's The Source is definitely progressive. Not really had chance to figure it out yet, too busy listening to other stuff. Seems like it's pretty much his usual Pink Floyd/Yes/ELP but with heavy guitars and multiple vocalist thing.

(That's maybe being unfair to Lucassen, I quite like his Ayreon project, but on my couple of listens it's not done enough to make it stand out from his earlier stuff.)

As you mentioned power metal I'm going to recommend Dragonforce's Reaching Into Infinity album. Catchy vocal hooks and decent riff. Not breaking the power metal mould but it does what it does quite well.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jun 2017 01:39:43 4,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The new Mutoid Man has plenty of silly metal references. I'm not entirely surely to what extent they're taking the piss but it sounds like a fun on an initial listen.

I guess it'd be for fans of Cave In and Converge but also bands like Anthrax and probably Municipal Waste type stuff as well.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/mutoid-man-war-moans-album-stream
  • Duffking 1 Jun 2017 22:54:01 14,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure what references you mean?

I've been listening to it a lot, really like it. More well rounded than the last.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jun 2017 00:15:51 4,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just the way it jumps around its influences, thrash riffs, NWOBHM licks, hardcore bits, never quite coalescing into a single sound but touching one after another. But nothing in half measures so the overall effect is kind of chaotic and over the top.

Which is pretty much what I dig most about it.
  • FuzzyDucky 2 Jun 2017 03:32:30 2,395 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gah, I'd sworn off gigs but The Dillinger Escape Plan are playing one of their final gigs ever in Dublin next week. Really tempted as it'd be batshit crazy and Dissociation is up there with Irony is a Dead Scene and Miss Machine...
  • ControlledChaos 2 Jun 2017 07:52:45 359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DOWNLOAD NEXT WEEK!!!!!
  • Duffking 2 Jun 2017 12:06:28 14,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just looked at the poster. I'm continually bemused by the fact that

A) Five Finger Death Punch presumably have fans
    B) They and bands like Prophets of Rage are apparently a bigger draw than Mastodon
  • thelzdking 2 Jun 2017 12:26:42 6,221 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The line-up for Bloodstock is weak this year. Hopefully there'll be some decent bands on the New Blood Stage. I wish they'd have a hardcore stage like most European 'extreme' festivals.
  • Duffking 2 Jun 2017 12:30:41 14,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been listening to the new Solstafir album this morning and it's very nice stuff. Saw they're playing in Brighton next weekend so might go.
  • Duffking 7 Jun 2017 11:49:45 14,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

You're welcome
  • Doomspoon 8 Jun 2017 12:01:35 2,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed Exodus at the Concorde 2 lastnight. I had some initial reservations and the support acts were pretty bad but Exodus played a lot of their old stuff which went down well with the crowd. I haven't been to Donington since '94, well for a music festival at least, kind of wishing I'd got a ticket for this year.
  • StixxUK 8 Jun 2017 12:57:03 7,812 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    The line-up for Bloodstock is weak this year. Hopefully there'll be some decent bands on the New Blood Stage. I wish they'd have a hardcore stage like most European 'extreme' festivals.
    I didn't think the lineup was too bad... Some fun headliners and not too much cheesy power metal. I mean yes there is some proper shite as well (king 810, really? They'll get booed off I imagine) but the ratio is good.

Mostly thrash and death, which works for me!
  • StixxUK 8 Jun 2017 13:56:40 7,812 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • JonFE 8 Jun 2017 15:51:13 1,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fix thread...
  • pk1980 9 Jun 2017 19:16:51 780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has anyone as yet bothered with the new Anathema album?
  • StixxUK 14 Jun 2017 21:59:30 7,812 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    pk1980 wrote:
    Has anyone as yet bothered with the new Anathema album?
    Dat's not mettull.

Does anyone like King Goat?
  • FuzzyDucky 15 Jun 2017 01:01:33 2,395 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hup

• devil_badger 15 Jun 2017 22:36:13 786 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know there's a few here who like Mastodon. I got the Leviathan album when it came out and really didn't like it. Should I bother with any of their their stuff? They're headlining a festival I'm off to in a couple of weeks so unsure if I should stick around for their set or leave early that day.
  • FuzzyDucky 15 Jun 2017 22:45:44 2,395 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @devil_badger Err, well they've quite a few different sounds, depends what you're into. Leviathan is kinda in the middle; great songs on it, some mad playing but still heavy as a brick.

Last three albums are pushing into hard rock territory, first EP and album are pure violence with a bit of melody.

They've also got a reputation (even amongst big fans) of being hit or miss live

/not helping really :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jun 2017 23:03:02 4,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    While I got into them by buying Remission around the time that Leviathan came out these days its probably the two latest more melodic albums that I listen to most when I reach for Mastodon.

Live. Hmm. Seen them four times was completely blown away once and slightly disappointed the other three. I think its probably telling that the three performances which I think were good but not amazing were all in the same venue. One which has a reputation for muddy sound. Which isn't to say those were bad shows but their songs can be so intricate that you can lose some of the guitar playing when they play live.

When they're on it like they were at times in those shows, and for basically all of the other, they can really soar. I'd certainly not pass up the chance to see them again whenever I get one.

I guess you could watch the start and it'd probably be clear pretty soon which way the gig is going.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jun 2017 23:04:13 4,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not that they're the worst culprits for that kind of inconsistency (Deftones)
  • StixxUK 16 Jun 2017 21:47:27 7,812 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Came across an article about these guys on Metalsucks... they drew me in by saying they sounded like Kvelertak - and they do, but with with the grit/fun balance tipped a little toward the former.

https://vandalshop.bandcamp.com/album/bastard
  • JonFE 17 Jun 2017 04:03:54 1,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @devil_badger I think you should give "Crack the Skye" (Mastodon's top moment for me) a listen and if that doesn't grab you then maybe they're not for you. As for the festival, you may stick around for the start of the set and see how it goes :)
  • FuzzyDucky 19 Jun 2017 02:03:23 2,395 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sadly defunct, but some modern, meaty-as-fuck thrash/death. Avoids the usual pitfalls of modern thrash sounding like a copy and paste of the glory days.

https://trials.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-shadow-of-swords
  • samharper 20 Jun 2017 05:16:47 846 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I saw Periphery in Hamburg a few weeks ago and they were great, but I was absolutely taken aback by their opener, The Contortionist. I always assumed they were some super generic djent band but I was wrong. A lot closer to Tesseract than Meshuggah.

Not really sure how it can be classified as metal but it is absolutely beautiful.
  • FuzzyDucky 21 Jun 2017 05:09:45 2,395 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yip, love The Contortionist.

Their album "Language" really picks up the ball Cynic dropped.
  • Rubbatiti 21 Jun 2017 18:26:22 13 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-100-greatest-metal-albums-of-all-time-w486923/avenged-sevenfold-city-of-evil-2005-w486948
    A few startling omissions!
  • Page

of 384 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.