The Official Metal Appreciation Thread®

• Page

of 303 First / Last

Previous
  • Freylis 14 Jan 2004 13:46:18 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Come on, admit it. Nothing quite gets the blood going like a bit of metal does it? And I'm not inciting some kind of "my genre is better than yours" riot; I've a fairly eclectic musical taste, and have a degree in music which taught me to appreciate all forms of music, not just the ones I choose to listen to. At its basest form, however, metal as a genre is purely about raw emotion and presenting that energy to you, the listener. Not many popular forms of music can claim this as their sole intent; hip-hop is (was, technically) about expressing the views of black youth in a predominantly white America, R&B (and dance, natch) is generally about getting down with oneself... you get the idea. Whilst all music can conceivably have an emotional impact on you, the point I'm making is that metal as a whole is solely about pursuing this as an art form.

Try listening to Anathema without getting a lump in your throat, try not to be marvelled by the monumental technical excellence of Opeth, try not to be convinced that Zach de la Rocha tells the same truths as Chuck D. Every genre has its heros, but metal I feel doesn't quite get the credit it deserves. Incidently, Chuck D is to feature on the Channel 4 documentary "The Voice" about important vocalists in our time; ten to one Zach won't be on there. Nor will J.B., nor will Matt Barlow, nor will Chuck Shuldiner. Ten to one, in fact, most people won't know who these are. But you know who Chuck D is, right?

So, metal warriors of the world unite; no other genre provides so much food for the soul, whilst simultaneously getting absolutely zero reward from the musical appreciation societies. Hell, just look at "Later... With Jools Holland"; they had Metallica on once you know? Meh. Don't let that put you off; stand firm and pronounce metal as your God! We'll still be singing when they've all gone home...

Oh, and for God's sake, put down that Darkness album. Deary me...
  • Mike_Hunt 14 Jan 2004 13:48:13 23,526 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I vote Platinum!

[MH]
  • BartonFink 14 Jan 2004 14:15:55 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Agree with everything you said Freylis but who is Chuck D?
  • MikeD 14 Jan 2004 14:52:08 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ooh ooh, and Burzum. That was a great band. His recent escape from prison was hilarious.
  • Freylis 14 Jan 2004 14:52:22 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chuck D is the lead vocalist from Public Enemy. He is generally regarded as one of the greatest MC's in the genre, as well as being a hugely outspoken advocate of racial integration, and peace in general. A thouroughly scary, though massively well-meaning gent from the hip-hop world.

vermin wrote:
    Neurosis. Arcturus. Windir. Will Haven. Dødheimsgard. Ulver. Darkthrone. Immortal. Gorgoroth. Cult of Luna. My Dying Bride. Red Harvest.
    OK... :)

Neurosis: I prefer Nasum and Converge tbh, though any noise/screamo is good for me! :) Have you heard any Nostromo by any chance?

Arcturus: Yep.

Windir: ? Not heard of them, what they like?

Will Haven: Yep, though not so much recently.

Dødheimsgard: Heard of them, but not anything by them.

Ulver: Oh my, yes.

Darkthrone: Ditto. I like Hate Them, though I thought Plaguewielder was a little too rock'n'roll for them. Should let Carpathian Forest stick to the black'n'roll stuff.

Immortal: Again, a big fat yes.

Gorgorath: Same boat as Dødheimsgard I'm afraid.

Cult of Luna: New album's cool, but the first is a little Isis-lite.

My Dying Bride: Buy the new issue of Terrorizer; they have a new track on the CD... :)

Red Harvest: Yep, though I prefer Aborym for techno-black metal.

Damn, I could go on and on myself; you'll have to email me! I haven't got any mates who are into serious metal. I miss uni... *sniff*

As for the latest Anathema album, I actually think it's their second-worst behind Eternity. I just found it really boring, especially after the masterpiece that was A Fine Day To Exit.
  • StixxUK 14 Jan 2004 14:58:17 7,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    ooh ooh, and Burzum. That was a great band. His recent escape from prison was hilarious.

LOL, first I've heard of this. Did they catch him again or is he still running wild trying to start his "perfect world" of Vikings and dragons?

Anyway, I like a bit of metal, though mostly not as extreme as the stuff you lot've listed. I like a bit of Will Haven, but most of the rest I've heard of but don't listen to.

I suppose most of my tastes would be considered more "alternative rock" than metal, like Deftones, A Perfect Circle etc. The new Machine Head album's worth a listen, beats the living crap out of their last effort and they were [I]stunning[/I] on their last UK tour!

Anyway, yay for metal! \m/
  • Harry  14 Jan 2004 14:59:10 1,120 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nowt wrong with some Darkness laddie, sometimes we've just gotta rock on and throw some shapes.

Been listening to some Arch Enemy recently. Not a million miles away from later Carcass really, but that's no surprise with Arnott in the band. Nothing amazing really, but there 1999 album (the last one before the lass joined on vocals) is damn catchy for such heavy stuff.

Cathedral – best gig I ever went to. Cathedral at Manchester Uni in 94 (or maybe 95) on the Carnival Bazarre tour. Great gig and the support band Mourn were great too – doom metallers with a top notch female singer called Caroline. All of us who went ended up buying Mourn's CD while we were there.

Iron Maiden (of Course)

Cradle of Filth – listen to them when I need a good laugh.

Purple, Sabbath, Led Zep etc. Proper music.

Dream Theater are a favourite too as is Megadeth.

Am not just into metal though like all kinds of stuff.

Edited by Harry  at 15:00:29 14-01-2004
  • weeno 14 Jan 2004 15:28:04 721 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TOOL

AENIMA

Best. Album. Ever.
  • shirubagan 14 Jan 2004 16:35:15 954 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In Flames

\m/
  • Deleted user 14 January 2004 17:57:26
    M E S H U G G A H
  • Gorgoroth_II 14 Jan 2004 18:01:43 42 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never considered Tool a metal band, myself. I'm aware, however, that millions do!

Have any of you heard Vintersorg's new album "The Focusing Blur"? It's totally nonsensical, bizarre stuff, but great nontheless. The pretentious git!

Oh and, Freylis, Windir are a nice folky black metal band. I think you'll appreciate the album "Arntor".

Edited by Gorgoroth_II at 18:05:20 14-01-2004

Edited by Gorgoroth_II at 18:07:13 14-01-2004
  • itamae 14 Jan 2004 18:08:45 9,894 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "I love Rhapsody."

Would that be wise thing to say in front of metal fans?
  • MikeD 14 Jan 2004 18:15:46 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vermin wrote:
    He's back behind bars.. heh. Thankfully. Can't say I like Burzum much myself. A bit too uh.. blech. The same dislike that I have for Kovenant. If anyone will understand that better. Probably not .... Although you can't really call Kovenant metal anymore.

Much love for Deftones (except the Back to School EP), APC and Machine Head. Heh.

Yes, he is bacj behind bars.
    In a nutshell the story is this:

He was on perole and decided not to return. SO basically the country goes in full alert. And a day later they find him driving towards Oslo in a stolen vehicle packing extremely heavy weaponry, hahahaha.

Later his mother told the press/police that he ahd written her a letter about death threats he ahd received in prison and therefore decided to disappear. Cracking job he amde of that :-)

Edited by MikeD at 18:16:43 14-01-2004
  • Ivefoundgod 14 Jan 2004 18:21:47 563 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like metal but I hate all the death/black metal, I can't stand it.

Anyway my favourite "old school" metal band are Metallica even if their new album was a load of crap.

Here's a concise list of metal bands I like:

Deftones
    Black Sabbath
    RATM(more hard rock I suppose)

More of a grunge(not Nirvana)/hard rock fan now that I think about it.

/wonders off wondering if anyone else still like's grunge.
  • MikeD 14 Jan 2004 18:25:24 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Old metallica, old sepultura. Is there anything new out there that's interesting?

haven't listened to Metal for quite some time.
  • MikeD 14 Jan 2004 18:30:21 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vermin wrote:
    Also the story about the dead guy that got his head stolen from the Chapel or wherever suddenly springs to mind.. heh. Don't know why. Lovely country this. Much fun to be had. Cutting heads off corpses with crude tools and all..

My favourite story will always be the one of dead's death. Where Euronymous supposedly made a necklace from some of Dead's skullparts and then put a few pieces of his brain through his stew and ate it.

Not sure I believe it, but it's a nice story.
  • Ivefoundgod 14 Jan 2004 18:55:27 563 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vermin wrote:
    Pining for the days of Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are yeh?

...Yes.
  • Gorgoroth_II 14 Jan 2004 19:05:00 42 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    The new(est) Napalm Death album "Order of The Leech" is a great return to form, albeit with overly pro-tooled drums. I still prefer Scum/FETO-era Napalm.

Edited by Gorgoroth_II at 19:05:44 14-01-2004
  • Nemesis 14 Jan 2004 19:05:28 18,688 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /offers a chair.

You'll need to sit down for this.

I was so ill over Xmas my ticket to go see Maiden never got used. Earls Court.

Gutted wasn't the word.

For me it's Maiden and RATM, both of which demonstrate some superb guitarwork. That's enough for me. If I can imagine playing it, and it moves me, I'm sold.

My big sis went to see *gah* *spit* Nickelback. Ve' bland to my ears, no soul, no anger, no power and no message.

As for The Darkness, the world is split. Personally, I like 'em. They make me laugh, and they can play. Got some live Knebworth vids and they are definately gonna be one to watch for the big stadium stuff.
  • Harry  14 Jan 2004 19:15:22 1,120 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    I share your pain Nem. I couldn't afford to go see Maiden in Manchester last month. First time I've missed them playing here since the Fear of the Dark tour. *sniff*
  • Nemesis 14 Jan 2004 19:18:16 18,688 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But I had a *ticket* Harry. Paid for and everything.

/stares into far distance with pre-occupied look.

Fuck.
  • Nemesis 14 Jan 2004 19:28:14 18,688 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I know ;-)
  • Freylis 14 Jan 2004 21:15:37 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    Is there anything new out there that's interesting?
    Oh, Good Lord man, loads! The new Seps album for starters is just about the best thing they've done since Chaos A.D. If you like your old-school, check out Exodus' new album Tempo Of The Damned... or try any one of Ritual Carnage, Iced Earth or Nevermore.

As for new-school, metal atm is pretty much a hot bed of interesting music. I can probably reel off about 20 band names right now...

Anaal Nathrakh
    Frost
    Opeth
    Anathema
    Meshuggah
    Ephel Duath
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    The Spiritual Beggars
    Electric Wizard
    Enslaved
    Solefald
    Sculptured
    Agalloch
    The Haunted
    The Crown
    Darkthrone
    Freya
    Cave In
    Immortal
    Immemorial
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Extol
    Mistress
    Isis
    Cult Of Luna
    Clutch
    The Hidden Hand
    Akercocke
    Mithras

Do I go on? I think you get the idea... it's more a case of how heavy do you want to go, how experimental can you handle, how important is melody vs. rhythm, etc. All the above cover a pretty broad spectrum of what metal means in the 2000's.
  • Gorgoroth_II 14 Jan 2004 21:33:10 42 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mithras rule!

Bal-Sagoth and Mithras should be plugged to hell, to show the world that British black and death metal doesn't begin and end with CoF panto crap. (<-- Not intended to rile up their fans)

Edited by Gorgoroth_II at 21:35:07 14-01-2004
  • MikeD 14 Jan 2004 21:45:23 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @freylis

Thanks for the list. I must say I do know most of those bands from the old days. And what I've heard of the new Immortal and Darkthrone stuff wasn't too riveting.

Haven't heard any new Opeth though, they were great.

Is Samael still around?

• Freylis 14 Jan 2004 23:09:16 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    @freylis

Thanks for the list. I must say I do know most of those bands from the old days. And what I've heard of the new Immortal and Darkthrone stuff wasn't too riveting.

Haven't heard any new Opeth though, they were great.

Is Samael still around?

The last album Samael did was 1999's Eternal, though I've not heard it. Immortal's final album Sons Of Northern Darkness is by far their best effort to date, and it's a shame they ended after such a monumental record. Still nice way to go out! And Darkthrone's last album, Hate Them, is another return to form. Opeth on the other hand have gotten better and better with every album, recently releasing two distinctly different albums this year; one of black metal, the other of foly prog. For a band who's first album was 5/5, they're seriously at the top of the metal pile right now.
  • Freylis 14 Jan 2004 23:11:42 995 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gorgoroth_II wrote:
    Mithras rule!

Bal-Sagoth and Mithras should be plugged to hell, to show the world that British black and death metal doesn't begin and end with CoF panto crap. (<-- Not intended to rile up their fans)

Edited by Gorgoroth_II at 21:35:07 14-01-2004
    Mithras do indeed rule! I think British extreme metal is currently in rude health... just check Anaal Nathrakh, Frost, Axis Of Perdition, Bal-Sagoth, Mithras, Thus Defiled, The Prophecy, My Dying Bride... happy* days!

*obviously, when listening to extreme metal, this should read "miserable in a good way" :)
  • Page

of 303 First / Last

Previous