securom..

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • [menace] 20 Aug 2007 19:44:46 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    On a slightly different topic -Bioshock is using Securom.
    Why do publishers use that POS. All it does is encourage people to find erm, alternative non-retail sources in order to avoid putting a fucking rootkit that is a nightmare to uninstall on their system. Publishers are usually shite when it comes to customer service in uninstalling basically a horrific piece of malware. A real shame IMO and a bad reflection on 2k.

I read this in the bioshock thread.. anybody have any comments on this? I try to avoid things like this if I can, but I'd hate to miss out on bioshock..
  • X201 20 Aug 2007 19:49:16 15,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Never had a problem with securom or any other protection method that stops toerags stealing other peoples hard work.

• Deleted user 20 August 2007 20:55:51
    I've never had a problem with Starforce.

Touch wood, I've actually never had a problem with any copy protection at all.
  • Whizzo 20 Aug 2007 20:58:33 43,094 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Starforce and Securom are so vastly different they don't even belong in the same sentence.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Khanivor 20 Aug 2007 21:01:29 40,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Starforce STCOG but it is impossible to crack so mighty tempting for a publisher. Dunno why they bother with any other forms of protection though, they are all weak as the sun on Pluto.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2007 21:01:29
    And just to expand on that slightly anyway, the vast majority of the supposed horror stories about Starforce are horseshit anyway. The worst thing it actually does, hardware wise is if it has major difficulties reading a disc, drops the drive down to PIO mode (which happens infrequently with Windows anyway), which whilst an annoyance, is easy enough to remedy and rarely actually happens in the real world. This is where most of the "omg sf killd my drive" bullshit comes from (but you'll note that most of the stories are "I heard someone on another forum had his drive killed"...I've yet to read a post where someone's -own- drive was damaged), along with a hefty dose of the SF team actually hyping their own product (the team, admittedly, are complete cunts).

But anyway.
  • X201 21 Aug 2007 08:49:24 15,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Toast wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Never had a problem with securom or any other protection method that stops toerags stealing other peoples hard work.

Then you've clearly never played a game with Starforce protection...

I have. No problems with that either.

• Pirotic Moderator 21 Aug 2007 08:53:43 20,646 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've had a fair few problems with copy protection, but this was back when having nero or daemon tools installed on your computer instantly had you branded as a pirate and games refused to install :p

Still, you can pick it up on steam right and bypass the cd all together.
  • sickpuppysoftware 21 Aug 2007 09:34:28 1,324 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    I've yet to read a post where someone's -own- drive was damaged), along with a hefty dose of the SF team actually hyping their own product (the team, admittedly, are complete cunts).
    One of my DVD drives stopped working after installing a game with starforce protection (TM Sunrise I think)

The other drive carried on working. I uninstalled TM sunrise and cleared the starforce drivers with some utility.

I'm sure I'd have had some other games with earlier versions of starforce that didn't break things. Never played TM sunrise again and I won't buy starforce protected games just to be sure.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Shivoa 21 Aug 2007 09:49:55 5,677 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Securom isn't too bad. Just load up a mini CD image that has enough code for that auth but nothing else and emulate the drive with something like daemon tools.

/has an old a noisy DVD drive that he does not appreciate spinning during gaming sessions when he paid for a title anyway.

If it wasn't for the Big Daddy figurine then I'd have probably used Steam to get Bioshock.

Starforce, as said above, is far harder to get round but then also has a decent chance of breaking your Windows install due to the low level messing about it does on install and so is rather unpopular right now with most sensible publishers.
  • nakke 21 Aug 2007 18:35:47 9 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blocking pirates from using the game is awesome, but why the HELL do they have to block Process Explorer??!! As if that would prevent people from seeing the handles it has open. I'm starting to think it's because the developer for Process Explorer was the one who found the Sony rootkit...

Now, it wouldn't be that horrible if the game still ran if you closed Process Explorer, but hey guess what! You have to boot to unload the driver to be able to start the game! Awesome.
  • WrongShui 21 Aug 2007 18:37:01 6,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesn't stop pirates though, it only bothers legitimate users.
  • nakke 21 Aug 2007 18:53:59 9 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, true. Well, apparently the demo is released on Steam now too, surely that can't use SecuROM, right? Right?

Too bad some other people apparently also want to download it off Steam; getting awesome speeds of 20-40kB/s. Torrent gave me 700-900kB/s :p

Guess I can wait until tomorrow though.
  • nakke 22 Aug 2007 17:04:32 9 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently the Steam version also uses SecuROM. What the crap.
  • Dirtbox 22 Aug 2007 17:12:00 77,746 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Securerom isn't a problem, you're thinking of Starforce.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:16:37 26-03-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• jellyhead 22 Aug 2007 17:12:40 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steam uses SecurRom also and you are limited to installing the game onto two PCs with both. If you reformat your machine or it dies before you can uninstall BioShock then you've lost one install license.

I'm not buying Bioshock because of this and i'm waiting to see if the steam version gets patched. Also retail or Steam you need to be online to authenticate and authorize your copy before you can play the game. After that you're golden but it's a pain in the chuff for people like me who aren't online at home.

oh well, i'll buy it later on in the year.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• DodgyPast 22 Aug 2007 17:46:01 8,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Steam uses SecurRom also and you are limited to installing the game onto two PCs with both. If you reformat your machine or it dies before you can uninstall BioShock then you've lost one install license.

I'm not buying Bioshock because of this and i'm waiting to see if the steam version gets patched. Also retail or Steam you need to be online to authenticate and authorize your copy before you can play the game. After that you're golden but it's a pain in the chuff for people like me who aren't online at home.

Is it really like that on steam?

Is it any different to the usual it follows your account from machine to machine? Which I like so very much.

I won't touch starforce... but securom has never caused any of my machines problems.
  • yogi 22 Aug 2007 19:17:00 106 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:

Is it really like that on steam?

Is it any different to the usual it follows your account from machine to machine? Which I like so very much.

I won't touch starforce... but securom has never caused any of my machines problems.

I don't understand how can you lose an install license if the game is installed via Steam. Doesn't make any sense.
  • SirScratchalot 22 Aug 2007 19:21:26 7,872 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is truly utterly shit, I've preordered for the 360 but I can honestly say that I will never ever buy a game that limits my number of installs.
    That's got to be the largest piece of rot ever.
  • Deleted user 22 August 2007 19:22:51
    It doesn't.

From a quick check with some other people who have it, it's like iTunes (IE, you can have it activated (installed) on two machines at once). You can deactivate a machine by uninstalling.
  • SirScratchalot 22 Aug 2007 19:24:45 7,872 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So if I don't register it uninstalling it's still a prob.
    That's far too restrictive for my tastes, and a really idiotic descision. It was a while since multiple installs were a functional way of pirating a game.
  • afray 1 Feb 2008 12:56:24 2,251 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    stupid pissing bollock mallets.

Spent aaages installing the 12GB of Medieval II Gold Edition, only for SecuROM to claim there are emulation tools running on my PC. Like crap there is. The closest I have is a speccy emulator, but I haven't started that up for months.

These technologies suck, they suck like Star Trek: Enterprise's theme tune.
  • DodgyPast 1 Feb 2008 13:18:55 8,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    afray wrote:
    stupid pissing bollock mallets.

Spent aaages installing the 12GB of Medieval II Gold Edition, only for SecuROM to claim there are emulation tools running on my PC. Like crap there is. The closest I have is a speccy emulator, but I haven't started that up for months.

These technologies suck, they suck like Star Trek: Enterprise's theme tune.
    It means stuff like Daemon Tools, Alchohol etc.

First upgrade to the latest version which might well be able to hide itself.

Second try running it after exiting the tool.

Third ( or first ) go and find a crack.
  • afray 1 Feb 2008 13:29:22 2,251 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know, that's what I'm saying. There's nothing like that on there. It shouldn't be finding anything.

The only thing I can think of is visual studio, but that's not running.

• jellyhead 1 Feb 2008 13:33:10 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have a look through your registry, there may be some clumps of garbage left in there if you've installed then uninstalled something Steam doesn't like.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Feb 2008 13:33:58 548 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hate some of these copy protection systems as despite not having any drive emualtion software installed there are quite a few games I have to crack to play (despite having shelled out cash for), including Command & Conquer 3 (new crack for every new patch, sigh) and Gothic 3. I assume they just don't like my drive (Plextor 760A if anyone cares). And I agree that it bothers genuine users a lot more than pirates who have the copy protections cracked out anyway, and they rarely prevent piracy anyway...

One of the reasons PC gaming annoys me, thus my restricted buying for the format to the games that don't work on other formats...

• Deleted user 1 February 2008 13:43:17
    the securom thing is the sole reason I havnt bought bioshock. Something that limits you to a set number of installs doesnt fly with me. I do feel im missing out though, might get it for the 360 one day.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Feb 2008 17:24:39 548 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forgot to add, that Bioshock was actually a game that actually worked with no problems (bar the online activation server being down on the day before release when I received it).

• afray 4 Feb 2008 13:01:07 2,251 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I emailed the tech support with the debug output, but they say it won't run properly because of the "emulation tools" I have running on my PC.

~@$~%@ers!

So, thanks securom, it's off to crack land just so I can play the game I legally own.
  • Heitzu 13 Mar 2008 23:56:23 1,160 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know this isn't a big deal but when I run a SecuROM (To spell it correctly) protected title, it messes my animated cursor up for the busy icon.

It's so god damn annoying after quitting the game I have to reapply the cursor for it to spin again, I don't suppose anyone has any advice on this matter do they?

Preferably not along the lines of don't play that game.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous