Quick System Shock 2 question Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • quadfather 15 Feb 2013 13:36:52 11,973 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What do you need to access the tilde key for?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• onestepfromlost 15 Feb 2013 13:40:17 2,043 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a huge backlog but i really think i might invest in this again.
  • Stranded87 16 Feb 2013 13:13:37 882 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC You don't need the tilde key- all that does (afaik) is equips things without you having to go into your inventory. Just bring up your inventory and drag the psy-majig into your hand. It's slightly slower but works.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 20:01:30
    Just got this running on the wifes laptop. Didn't know if would thought 'fuck it' bought it anyway and lo and behold it does! Couldn't be happier. Runs well and looks great too. I notice thief gold and thief 2 are on gog too. Very tempted...
  • Stranded87 17 Feb 2013 11:21:44 882 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, I know this is one of those games that you're basically not allowed to criticize but I'm not feeling this so far. Way too many enemies, many of which I'm pretty sure spawn out of nowhere which is a pet hate of mine. Both of these were problems with Bioshock too but they're even worse so far in this.

The music and sound effects I have mixed feelings about, on the one hand they do a great job of creating a tense, frantic mood, but on the other hand that's not a mood that I enjoy being in, plus the constant loud noises combined with the lack of subtitles means that I often miss bits of dialogue which is annoying.

The setting is less interesting than Bioshock, I'm pretty sure that even when this came out this would hardly have been of very unique or interesting setting. The story I'm sure will pick up but so far isn't doing much for me, the mechanics I'm almost certain will open up but again so far seem pretty limited (e.g unless i'm missing something there doesn't so far seem to be any real way to kill enemies other than just shooting at them or hitting them).

Oh and I hate weapon damage/jamming etc. I just about tolerate it in Fallout and Stalker because it fits the setting, which I'm not convinced that it particularly does here, but either way, it's something that I always find annoying.

So yeah, not a bad game, most of my complaints are things that are either very subjective or probably improve later, but I'm not sure if it's for me. It also doesn't help that I played Bioshock first, because it feels quite samey, which I guess must have been how Bioshock felt to everyone who played them in the right order. Anyway, as you can probably tell I'm not very far in at all, so maybe I'll change my mind later, but it's not immediately wowed me in the way that I expected.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Feb 2013 11:24:53 7,149 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Get out.
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2013 11:32:52 11,973 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Get out.
    +1 :)

• Tiger_Walts 17 Feb 2013 12:37:35 16,586 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Hmm, something went wrong somewhere. I installed the rebirth mod but now certain objects are not visible. So far my pistol, security cameras and turret guns I've noticed so far. I can hear them but can't see them.

Any idea what went wrong?
    One possibility is that you have an ATi card and you have some settings set to be forced in CCC. This is known to make some things turn invisible.

Or, maybe you stuffed up the install.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Sharzam 18 Feb 2013 21:05:01 2,825 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trying to play Psi heavy, however i am really struggling when i am swarmed as i just dont have enourgh hypos. Also iam missing hacking, for the life of me i cannot remember how i played it all those years ago.

Was it hard back then, and now i am a pansy? Or perhaps Psi was never a good idea to start with. Proper RPG decision making me thinks.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• skuzzbag 18 Feb 2013 22:34:52 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Stranded87

In you SS2 folder create a file named user.cfg and in it put the following two lines

no_spawn
    gun_degrade_rate 0.2

Set the rate to something between 0 and 1 where 0 is no degradation. The enemies will still spawn just not as intensely as they do with the vanilla settings. You will still be playing with hardly any health so you're not exactly ruining the experience. Looking Glass introduced these commands in the first patch to answer the claims that the game was too unbalanced in it's vanilla state.
  • Stranded87 19 Feb 2013 12:18:08 882 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @skuzzbag Ah brilliant. It is growing on me anyway but yeah the enemy respawns are still getting to me. Not just because it's arguably unbalanced but because obvious spawns just take me out of the experience.
  • skuzzbag 20 Feb 2013 20:26:10 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • skuzzbag 20 Feb 2013 20:26:24 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Stranded87
    Some enemies respawn by level triggers so you will still get those.

The game is unbalanced all over the shop. It's quite possible to completely gimp your character so that by the time you get to the end level you've made the game very difficult for yourself. That probably applies more to the harder difficulty levels though and a non tampered playthrough.
  • Kanjin 20 Feb 2013 20:59:18 1,079 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Similar themes of dreams crushed by hubris, diaries used to tell story and questionable gun mechanics.
  • quadfather 21 Feb 2013 08:44:44 11,973 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still say It's brilliant. What's wrong with the gun mechanism?

• skuzzbag 21 Feb 2013 20:19:55 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing to remember is it isn't a run and gun game. That will just get you killed. Also you want to reserve your ammo as much as possible for the final level and instead rely on the spanner where you can.
  • quadfather 21 Dec 2013 17:04:25 11,973 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just played the gog version of this after downloading it to keep a digital backup of the game.

Fuck me, it's amazing. I turned it on at 12 and only just turned it off just now. 5 hours solid without a breather. Just got to operations and have just got the assault rifle up and running.

Couldn't be arsed modding it, so playing vanilla. Damn maintenance on the weapons :)

Utterly fantastic game though, still.

The gog version has a lot of extras too, including the soundtracks. Gonna chuck them on my phone I think

• Deleted user 21 December 2013 18:18:08
    @quadfather did you add the texture updates that are kicking about?

Soundtracks on my ipod. It's brilliant.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 18:18:31 21-12-2013
  • quadfather 21 Dec 2013 20:06:10 11,973 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers - I attempted it but you have to faff about and I couldn't be arsed. I dont mind the old textures to be honest. Played it through numerous times with and without the mods. Ive downloaded them so might give it a go. But I'm about half way through already so will probably just go with it as it is

Yup, ive uploaded the music to Google play. Theres an operations level track thats fucking brilliant

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next