Quick System Shock 2 question

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

    Previous
  • Deleted user 19 August 2007 13:42:09
    I've got the original SS2 disc but nothing else; no box or manual. I'm just wondering, does it require a CD key to install?

    It's so long since I last played that I just can't remember if there was anything printed on the manual.

    Cheers.
  • Hunam 19 Aug 2007 13:42:37 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2007 13:54:14
    Hunam wrote:
    Nope.

    Thanks.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Dec 2008 20:27:34 35,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *bump* from the grave

    The real Shodan

    Probably old, but I just stumbled upon it.
  • Xerx3s 4 Dec 2008 21:12:05 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spoiler. Most awesome plottwist in games ever.
  • MrCarrot 4 Dec 2008 21:55:23 3,516 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    spoiler. Most awesome plottwist in games ever.

    Man, nine years old and hardly anything else has come close. :(
  • JonnyCigarettes 6 Dec 2008 02:47:53 29 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nothing has, I think - not in the same way...

    Anyone who hasn't had a go yet - ignore any prejudices you may have about graphics from yesteryear. The sound design alone will have you shitting yourself.
  • JonnyCigarettes 11 Dec 2008 02:21:01 29 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As a final effort having found nothing helpful on the web so far - anyone know how to make it run on Vista?
  • Hunam 11 Dec 2008 02:40:28 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A shit repetition. I feel ill every time people mention both games in the same breath.
  • Hunam 11 Dec 2008 02:41:49 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JonnyCigarettes wrote:
    As a final effort having found nothing helpful on the web so far - anyone know how to make it run on Vista?

    Not a clue, it don't like modern cards or drivers. My advice a cheap lappy running an Intel graphics chip.

    It's crazy but that chip will run all Infinity Engine games and most older games perfectly well. Shit for modern games, perfect for the golden age of pc games.
  • JonnyCigarettes 11 Dec 2008 04:06:13 29 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers Hunam
  • JonnyCigarettes 11 Dec 2008 04:14:42 29 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lo-lo-look at you hacker... a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone.... panting and sweating as you run through my corridors... Freud would shit himself.

    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=XsgRNahEZnw&feature=related

  • spindle9988 10 Feb 2009 16:37:23 3,676 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just wondering isnthis would run on windows xp, Ive never played and might pick a copy up on ebay
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Feb 2009 16:43:52 4,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes it runs fine on XP. If you do have any trouble you might find this useful.
  • steve1979 10 Feb 2009 16:51:51 2,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    A shit repetition. I feel ill every time people mention both games in the same breath.

    that's not really fair, it's just got an amazing first half. The stage where you take the photos is fucking awesome.

    Unfortunately SS2 is just so much better then pretty much anything else like it. SS3 should so be on EA's list of things to do.
  • rogermellie 10 Feb 2009 17:34:25 24 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In anticipation for Bioshock, I dug out my original System Shock CD and the gameplay / visuals (640x480) held up really well.

    I would love a System Shock 3 or even a new Ultima game!
  • Deleted user 10 February 2009 17:40:24
    Thing is SS3 would be dumbed down in all the same ways Bioshock was if they did it Ė theyíd make it multi platform for starters. Bioshock basically was SS3 for all intents.

    Anyway, Bioshock was pretty good, and SS2 wasnít quite as good as people think it was. The gap between them isnít as great as people think.
  • Hunam 10 Feb 2009 17:50:33 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure how wrong a single person can be but you just had a good go at it.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2009 18:15:25
    Hunam wrote:
    I'm not sure how wrong a single person can be but you just had a good go at it.

    Well, seeing as youíve set your stall out as a massive fanboy, letís just assume your opinion is more worthless than my more objective one.
  • Hunam 10 Feb 2009 18:20:21 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, but on the alternative you could say that the game was so good it transformed me into a giant fanboy. I've played it a fair few times over the last 8 years and every minute with the game has been enjoyable. Bioshock just doesn't quite nail the formula right. I should love it immensly because of the retro 50's vibe (which is a strong vibe with me) but the atmosphere just doesn't get me like it does in SS2.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2009 18:26:21
    I donít disagree with that Ė all Iím saying is that (as with lot of great games), SS2 became a little overrated in peopleís memories, and partly because of that they were too harsh on Bioshock.

    Iím not saying anything more than SS2 is slightly overrated by many, and Bioshock in turn is slightly underrated by those that overrate SS2.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Feb 2009 18:32:50 35,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Anyway, Bioshock was pretty good, and SS2 wasn’t quite as good as people think it was.

    I am never quite sure what that means, but let's stick to the facts first: SS2 was scary as fuck, Bioshock wasn't one bit. Which already is such a massive difference in the atmosphere (and both games are all about the atmosphere) that comparing the similarities in the gameplay mechanics is almost pointless.

  • morriss 10 Feb 2009 18:34:18 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SS2 isn't as good as you think it is Lou, and Bioshock is better than you think it is because you compare to SS2 which isn't as good as you think it is.
  • Aretak 10 Feb 2009 18:35:51 10,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I played System Shock 2 for the very first time last week actually. I nearly shit my pants twice at random explosions as I walked into a room, and gave up on it soon after the first mutants appeared because I just can't handle games with such an oppressive atmosphere.

    Not a complaining post at all though. If anything I was quite impressed at how much it managed to scare me despite its aging graphics. I'm just a big wuss. :(
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Feb 2009 18:39:04 35,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    SS2 isn't as good as you think it is Lou, and Bioshock is better than you think it is because you compare to SS2 which isn't as good as you think it is.

    What was I thinking!
  • Deleted user 10 February 2009 18:40:03
    UncleLou wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Anyway, Bioshock was pretty good, and SS2 wasn’t quite as good as people think it was.

    I am never quite sure what that means, but let's stick to the facts first: SS2 was scary as fuck, Bioshock wasn't one bit. Which already is such a massive difference in the atmosphere (and both games are all about the atmosphere) that comparing the similarities in the gameplay mechanics is almost pointless.


    I think my point was much clearer than whatever youíre saying here.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Feb 2009 18:41:24 35,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Your point was that you claim to know what people think, and how they think wrongly, which was clear, but also clearly nonsense, I am afraid. :)
  • Phattso Moderator 10 Feb 2009 18:47:44 13,928 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    By any measure bar visuals System Shock 2 is the better game, by some margin. This doesn't make Bioshock bad, just inferior.

    I played, and very much enjoyed, Bioshock. Then traded it - the replay value was almost nothing; I'd done everything I wanted to on my first play through. I still play System Shock 2 from time to time even now.
  • morriss 10 Feb 2009 18:48:50 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excuse my ignorance here. But just because the two games were made by the same dev house, why are they always compared? Are they 'that' close in terms of style and execution?

    (serious question, hasn't played SS2)
  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply