Rage Page 66

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• Salaman 26 Dec 2011 09:36:29 19,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've not read any of the thread as I'm sure there's things discussed within that I don't want to know at this point.

Got Rage for Xmas and last night about 0:30am I decided to install it for a quick go.

The DVD (1 of 3) goes into the disc tray. The autorun brings up a launch window.
    I select install & it launches steam.
    My CD key is activated and steam starts to download the game, then tells me the servers are terribly busy and I should try again later.

Servers? It's on the disc!

I have a look on google and find this:

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
    Insert the first disc into your computer.
    Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
    Press Windows Key + R to open Run
    In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
    Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
    Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.
    Sadly, that didn't work. >:-(

I left it as it was by then getting too late.
    Looks like I have to go through the pain of a massive download on steam servers that are under heavy load as it is.

It'd be nice of they program the install so it installs from disc and then authenticates with steam.
  • ilmaestro 26 Dec 2011 23:32:14 32,537 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had the same thing installing Shogun 2 recently, I deleted the local content and then just tried installing from the disc again - it worked second time around, so maybe just keep on trying? Alternatively, can you cancel the install after it has started (so the game still shows in your games list) and then just install it while offline?

• Salaman 28 Dec 2011 09:26:29 19,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What bollocks that was.

Went to off-line mode. "Steam needs to be on-line to install this game" or something to that extent.

Retried deleting local content, then installing through the run command.
    I got some install dialogue screens "creating local conttent" or something to that affect.
    I then saw a progress bar that mentioned "Disk1" above it. Woohoo.

Then it goes to some "steam isn't available at the moment" or "server isn't available at the moment."

In the end I downloaded the fucking thing.

Played about 45 minutes last night and was a bit underwhelmed to start off with. ONly did the first mission so far. We'll see.
  • elhozzo 30 Dec 2011 21:29:14 352 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hi, so without looking in all 65 pages ... anyone got this for PS3, and can comment on the 'install' ?

is it 8GB ? and mandatory?
    thinking to get it as its just a tenner - but disc space is currently tight ...
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Dec 2011 21:30:17 39,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And without reading all 65 pages - what's up with the texture on PC? They're awfully low res, and there's fuck all graphics options!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Dirtbox 30 Dec 2011 21:32:30 79,210 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PC version got lumbered with the console textures. They're releasing a 20gb texture upgrade at some point.

Like that's supposed to be helpful or something.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Salaman 30 Dec 2011 23:33:27 19,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I am getting a bit annoyed by the lack of graphics options on the PC as well.
    I have a fairly old machine, so whatever I can turn down has been turned down.
    No V-Synch, no AA, small texture cache .. that's it I think.

Whenever I move my mouse, the world is drawn bland and textureless initially. Then over the next 2-3 seconds the textures come in.
    Very annoying. I wish I could turn down more graphic options and sacrifice a little on overall quality to get rid of the texture fill in.
  • Dirtbox 30 Dec 2011 23:37:35 79,210 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A combination of driver updates and patches fixed that ages ago.

And the whole point of the engine is to render graphical options meaningless as it looks the same on all platforms and specs.

• ilmaestro 31 Dec 2011 03:13:38 32,537 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To possibly compound your frustration with the install, Sal, I installed the game from disc fine today. ^^;

Enjoyed the first couple of hours, pistol/shotgun/melee work nicely in conjunction with each other, and there are just enough little corners to search to stop the game from feeling too linear.

• FWB 31 Dec 2011 03:16:01 45,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is a bit good, isn't it? Well worth the tenner I paid for it. A slightly nicer looking Borderlands, with better AI. Just needs the character abilities and the randomised guns.
  • Dirtbox 31 Dec 2011 03:20:03 79,210 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought it was a great game, it didn't venture far from the safety of it's pedigree, but it's a corking game, and regardless of the low res textures it looks amazing.

• FWB 31 Dec 2011 03:28:19 45,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It might be a run n' gun, even with some bog standard weapons, but the AI and artwork give it a unique feel.

How does the coop play?
  • Bawsy74 31 Dec 2011 10:32:11 180 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just completed this the other day on the Xbox. Well worth the 13 quid I got it for. Looks fantastic, runs fantastic, and gunplay is pretty sound. I also love Olive.
  • robthehermit 9 Jan 2012 14:19:27 4,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked up the anarchy edition for 10 in the Game sale. Had 30 minutes with it at lunchtime, by crikey its a lovely looking game, it looks absolutely spectacular. If I had a friend who wanted to see what the Xbox was capable of, I'd probably show them this. Finished the first mission so far and picked up some wingsticks. Going to have a wander around for a bit when I get home and see what's what.

Now if only I wasn't so shit at shooters.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Rusty_M 9 Jan 2012 17:50:25 4,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just played the demo on xbox last week and liked it. If I wasn't totally skint I'd have bought the pc version for £12 in Tesco. Maybe I'll get it as a winter-een-mas present for myself on pay day.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• hypoBla5t 9 Jan 2012 19:23:13 1,575 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got it for crimbo, played about 4 hours so far inbetween SWTOR sessions and loving the shit out of it. Though the first person bits do make me feel sick after about 30 mins.
  • BartonFink 15 Jan 2012 12:42:50 35,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Just got this on the 360 (thanks ven x), do I need to install all 3 discs or can you just do one at a time?
    Only had to install disc 1. Didn't get the option to install disc 2. Think disc 3 is multiplayer stuff

Edited by BartonFink at 12:44:35 15-01-2012
  • Lexx87 15 Jan 2012 12:49:30 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Disc 1 and 2 are the SP with disc 3 being multiplayer. I just installed all of them.

The coop is good fun!

Speak the truth hussy!

• drhcnip 15 Jan 2012 13:08:16 2,652 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    started this yesterday - just off to blow up some barricades after having got my buggy and loving it so far....an open and sprawling fallout game with this engine would quite possibly make me cream my knickers
  • evild_edd 16 Jan 2012 11:42:38 3,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blitzed the SP campain in less than a fortnight. A few thoughts.

Positives:
    1. Stunning grpahics (particularly the long-distance vistas and skylines)
    2. Tangible, visceral gunplay. Top quality FPS action from id
    3. Surprisingly solid driving/racing sections
    4. Perfect amount of open-world, sidequest stuff for me (i.e. not too much; I get lost and bored with the likes of GTA, TES etc...)

Negatives:
    1. Generic setting and characters
    2. Total lack of ambition to try anything new - it was a solid shooter, but little more
    3. Though stunning, the graphics and backgrounds felt generalyl 'uninteractive'.
    4. The ending. MY GOD, THE ENDING! No need for spoilers here; the ending itself was enough of a spoiler. I think this has to go down as the single most underwhelming, truncated, impactless finale in videogame history. No decent boss/event/dash/seige/ANYTHING followed by a half-arsed CGI cutscene. Shonky in the extreme.

I wouldn't normally make such a big deal of a narrative ending for a videogame - we play them for the gameplay; and I very much enjoyed Rage for the 25ish hours I played it - but that ending was so poor it actually makes me dislike the game in retrospect.

Ending aside, a decent and solid 8/10. With the ending....I'm almost tempted to deduct a point or 2. Those yet to finish the SP campaing can consider themselves well and truly warned!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Lexx87 17 Jan 2012 10:30:00 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the sound and umph was pretty good from what i've played of the co-op!

Speak the truth hussy!

• robthehermit 17 Jan 2012 10:46:55 4,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm loving this. As much as I loved Borderlands, for me, this is the better game. The controls are better, the visuals are in a different league, and its generally a much tighter experience. Still can't wait for Borderlands 2 mind you.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Phattso Moderator 17 Jan 2012 10:49:19 13,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still not getting the Rage and Borderlands comparisons. Vastly different games that share only their viewpoint and broad elements of setting.

Rage is fun, but Borderlands is digital crack. Loot. Looooooot.
  • Vortex808 17 Jan 2012 10:55:22 7,585 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

Rage is fun, but Borderlands is digital crack. Loot. Looooooot.
    The setting/premise was fairly similar between Rage and Borderlands though.

I loved Rage, apart from the slightly abrupt ending, but you're totally correct about Borderlands addictiveness. Just watching the numbers for damage popping up when shooting was great, never mind the Pavlovian effect of opening a loot box....

I can't wait for Borderlands 2.
  • Lexx87 17 Jan 2012 10:56:20 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Until they make it: Duke Nukem's Borderlands 2

Speak the truth hussy!

• monkman76 17 Jan 2012 11:18:21 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oomph not umph, shirley?
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Jan 2012 11:54:52 1,540 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I warmed to this after getting through the first few missions. Id still know how to make shooting stuff incredibly satisfying. The graphics are stunning and poor at the same time, depending on where I'm looking at the time. I'm still pissed it took ati a month to get their drivers working, at which point the game was on offer for £15 on steam :(

I got my monies worth in the end I suppose even if about a 3rd of it was the same mission with different enemies. I agree that the ending was gash, I didn't even get round to using the BFG ammo, as I was expecting some kind of epic last boss that never showed up.

For the emperor!

• Page

of 69 First / Last