Upcoming Films on TV that are worth watching..

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • TwistidChimp 29 Jul 2007 15:02:25 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I couldn't find a thread of this nature, (there might be one in the film group, and I know there's one for Film Four specifically, but I thought a generalised one everyone could read would be better).

I often see films coming up in the listings that I think, aah thats great, I'll watch that again, and consider pimping it on the forum, but rarely do (Like Fisher King which was on one of the freeview ITV channels the other day).

So keep it free to view, very few people are going to have all the sky movie channels for example, here goes then, feel free to post anything you think deserves mentioning.

I'll start with..

tonight (29th July), on Film Four, 9.00pm, Garden State. Havn't seen it yet myself, but its supposed to be pretty good.

Film Four again, tomorrow (Monday 30th July) 9.00pm is Napoleon Dynamite, again that I havn't seen but seems to be a bit of a cult hit.
  • TwistidChimp 30 Jul 2007 12:26:36 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bumpede bump. Napoleon Dynamite, tonight at 9.
  • BobsYourUncle 30 Jul 2007 12:53:17 719 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. I haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite but all my mates rave about it.
  • jellyhead 30 Jul 2007 12:55:06 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BobsYourUncle wrote:
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. I haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite but all my mates rave about it.
    It's an acquired taste but if it clicks for you, it's awesome.
    I love it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 30 July 2007 12:55:26
    Both overrated IMHO.

However, Film4 should also be putting on Brick soon. You shold watch that.

/hunts for TV timetables
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jul 2007 12:56:18 24,181 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watched Garden State last night....

...unbelievably good. Completely, completely blew me away. Was very impressed by Zack Braff's writing/directing/acting! Although Natalie Portman was definitely fantastic in it, when she was crying, it was so realistic. Definitely a film to tug on the old heartstrings!

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• glo 30 Jul 2007 20:35:24 3,424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Both overrated IMHO.

/hunts for TV timetables

Brick is on this wednesday at 9pm. Never heard of it before, should I make an effort to watch it?
  • Deleted user 30 July 2007 20:36:45
    Yes.
  • cubbymoore 30 Jul 2007 20:41:21 36,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Depends, if you like Film Noir (Or at the very least LA Confidential) then you'll probably enjoy it. Don't expect to take it seriously though. It's rather an indulgent piece.
  • glo 30 Jul 2007 20:43:52 3,424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do like film noir and love LA Confidential so I guess I should give it a go. Cheers for the tip.
  • BobsYourUncle 30 Jul 2007 20:46:37 719 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Napoleon Dynamite, tonight at 9.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2007 20:52:26
    glo wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Both overrated IMHO.

/hunts for TV timetables

Brick is on this wednesday at 9pm. Never heard of it before, should I make an effort to watch it?
    Yes - it's film noir with High School kids - but in a very faithful and odd way as opposed to a Buffy way. One word of warning - the dialogue is incredibly hard to follow at first so pay attention and stick with it. It's great.
  • absolutezero 30 Jul 2007 20:56:08 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Film4 showed Waking Life as part of this season of whatever movies.

I have'nt laughed that hard in a very long time. I can just imagine students taking it really seriously aswell. Still I was entertained, even over its huge running time.

Its worth watching just to realise how disconnected some people are from reality. Or rather proto-reality *launches into 10-minute rant about the meaning of reality and whether we're all really figments of a dream of someone else dreaming a dream".
  • faux_carnation 30 Jul 2007 20:56:42 9,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ozon's 5x2 is on Film4 at 23.05 tomorrow.

Watch. It.
  • deem 30 Jul 2007 21:00:47 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Depends, if you like Film Noir (Or at the very least LA Confidential) then you'll probably enjoy it. Don't expect to take it seriously though. It's rather an indulgent piece.

I still haven't taken this out of the cellophane. :(
    Every time I think of watching it I have that same feeling I used to get after Antiques Roadshow when It was time to learn my spellings.

• Deleted user 30 July 2007 21:04:42
    Nice analogy.

I get that when I look at some of my games... My advice, settle in on a dark night with a few beers (do you smoke? line some up) and give it a go. It's weirdx, and not entirely successful at times, but the overall effect is of a 1950s detective thriller, complete with impenetrable fast-paced stylised dialogue, set in modern day suburbia played out by high school kids that never seem to go to school. I liked it.
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jul 2007 21:10:43 17,018 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    napoleon dynamite is shite
  • Deleted user 30 July 2007 21:11:50
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    napoleon dynamite is shite
    You're wrong of course, but that's to be expected. :)
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jul 2007 22:02:40 17,018 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel Heart - ITV4

Now that it a proper fucked up film worth watching !
  • deem 30 Jul 2007 22:04:16 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel Heart was KAK!
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jul 2007 22:05:45 17,018 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Angel Heart was KAK!

you are cack! you! its a genre crossing noir horror, well worth a watch if people haven't seen it before
  • Deleted user 30 July 2007 22:07:56
    Sounds terrible.
  • absolutezero 30 Jul 2007 22:13:09 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In my humble opinion its ANGRY BOBBIE's best role.
  • El_MUERkO 30 Jul 2007 22:19:15 17,018 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, i'm half watching cause i've seen it a few times before, Davids Fincher and Lynch as well as many other thriller/suspense/horror directors and cinematographer all learned from Angel Heart, its a modern classic and one of the few scary films i dont mind watching

/hides behind totoro pillow
  • TwistidChimp 11 Aug 2007 12:56:52 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonight (Saturday 11th) on ITV4 (10.30) is Jacob's Ladder. Excellent and very understated horror film with Tim Robbins as an ex vietnam veteran trying to uncover the truth about his experiences in the war.

Really excellent, and one of the primary visual inspirations for the Silent Hill series. The Radio Times, for some reason best known to themselves only gave it 2 stars, which is absolutley criminal so dont let that put you off.

Also on Film Four tonight (10.55) is Apt Pupil. Its by Bryan Singer (Xmen, X2, Usual Suspects, Superman returns etc etc) about a California high school student befriending a man (the ever excellent Ian McKellen) who might be a nazi war criminal in hiding. I havn't seen the film but I have read the Stephen King story that its based on, which was very disturbing so be warned. (got 4 stars in the Radio Times though so should be good, I believe the original theatrical release was cut short because of Columbine or some such shenanigans) (and no it has nothing to do with a school shooting so that wasn't a spoiler :)

Also tonight, after the 3rd part of the British Film Forever series on BBC2 is a Mike Leigh film called All or Nothing. I havn't yet seen it, but it has the excellent, and Leigh usual suspect Timothy Spall in the lead, and recieved 4 stars from the RT. Given how much I loved Secrets & Lies when I saw it previously I would strongly recommend giving it a watch. (If that is your a fan of gritty, realistic human drama :)
  • afray 11 Aug 2007 13:19:44 2,251 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apt Pupil is indeed good.
  • Derblington 11 Aug 2007 13:20:04 21,588 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked Apt Pupil though it's been years since I've seen it. Singer does very good thriller/whodunits and far less good action movies.
  • Scimarad 11 Aug 2007 21:40:09 8,546 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of those very few decent Stephen King adaptations - Here's hoping The Mist will be another one...
  • TwistidChimp 19 Aug 2007 19:57:51 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonight on BBC 2, 9 oclock, a Cock & Bull Story, with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Supposed to be rather good.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous