Dexter Page 60

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 23 Sep 2013 13:51:06 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank fuck that show's over. What utter, utter tripe.

Agree with everyone's thoughts above. Masuka's daughter? Why was she there?

Dexter wheels Deb out of the hospital and carries her body onto the boat AND NOBODY FUCKING SEES HIM??

He kills Saxon in full view of camera and they let him walk out?

Why did he need to fake the self defence shite if he was going to fake his own death?

Hannah gets dumped with Harrison, well played Dex, you always hated the little shit anyway.

Elway catches Hannah on the bus because 'one of his contacts finally came through'. Um, why wasn't every bus station/airport/port authority provided with a picture of Hannah and told not to let her leave? She never changes her fucking appearance anyway. Elway shouldn't have to pull strings to make it happen! She's a wanted criminal!

That's all I can think of right now. What a shit end to a fucking shit show. The worst part is I can see what they're trying for. Dex's last victim is his sister, the one person he was meant to protect, and he feels the pain of doing it for the first time and realises he doesn't want feelings, and if he hadn't had them he would have killed Saxon before and Deb would be fine. But it just doesn't work. They want the big shocking moments without earning them, and it rings false. How many times did people say "I love you" in this episode? Deb to Quinn, Hannah to Dex, Dex to Harrison, Harrison to Dex, Harrison to Dex ABOUT Hannah (that was the worst) and not ONCE did I feel any emotion other than boredom. Absolutely zero chemistry in that entire cast.

Urgh.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 13:51:57 23-09-2013

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 13:53:45 23-09-2013

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• Darren 23 Sep 2013 14:20:38 9,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What annoys me is that Deb's death ultimately meant nothing, not even to Dexter who showed less emotion at her passing than he did Doctor Vogel two weeks previously! Did Deb die so that Dexter could let go and be happy with Hannah and Harrison? No. Did she die so Dexter could shed a genuine tear over her death for the first time? No. She died so that Dexter would finally know that he'd have to live alone and be miserable, it seems. Deb told him to go live his life so what does he go and do? He decides that he destroys everyone and fakes his own death so he can become a bloody lumberjack and protect Hannah and Harrison! What garbage and what a sad tragic end for a character who throughout season 8 was shown on a path of redemption, where lost the need to kill and wanted to have a life with Hannah. One would imagine that he'd be that depressed and lonely that he'd slip back into his old killing ways. They really should have killed him off, either on-screen or had the stormy boat scene as his last appearance.

What was the point of season 8?

There was very little actual suspense or tension because at no point was Dexter ever in danger of being caught, even when the police had Saxon in custody. The season didn't really go anywhere except to introduce incidental characters for redundant story arcs since they were bumped off a few episodes later. They introduced that black woman to Miami Metro PD for no real reason (what happened to her other than getting promoted?), Masuka's daughter, the Quinn/Jamie/Deb triangle and other stuff seemingly as filler. And Oliver Saxon has to be the most stupid serial killer to have appeared on the show because he just had to go back to try and kill Deb for no real reason at all instead of doing the obvious thing and fleeing the state.

I really don't understand quite why they had to give everyone such a miserable ending, even poor old Hannah and Harrison. Dexter doesn't destroy people because he's a killer, it was because the writers made him look like an idiot, someone who fails to learn from their mistakes (such as not killing Saxon when he had the chance)! How many times has Dexter done this and said something in the monologue about not making that mistake again? At least three times by my reckoning.

Edited by Darren at 16:23:23 23-09-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• CosmicFuzz 23 Sep 2013 14:25:09 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, totally agree. Entire season has been an exercise in wheel spinning. Completely pointless.

• PearOfAnguish 23 Sep 2013 14:33:07 7,443 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watching this and Breaking Bad side by side really shows how poorly Dexter has been handled, and what a work of genius Breaking Bad has been.

The lumberjack bit at the end was just all kinds of bemusing.
  • CosmicFuzz 23 Sep 2013 15:02:50 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Complete with cliché beard and chequered shirt!

• Rodpad 23 Sep 2013 15:38:47 2,050 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Words can't express how flat and incomplete that ending was.

Oh well, we all saw it coming for a while now. You could really have ended the show after the Rita reveal in series 4.
  • Darren 23 Sep 2013 16:33:37 9,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Deb should have shot Dexter at the end of season 7 myself because really season 8 was about not very much happening at all. There was no real character development as Deb quickly got over killing LaGuerta, Quinn, Masuka and Batista were none the wiser about Dexter's secret 'hobby' and Dexter's own arc ultimately proved to pointless too given that ridiculous final scene.

I guess I can see how someone's death would make a person feel guilty but for Dexter to throw away his one chance of happiness, something Deb wanted him to have remember, was just crap. The excuse that he's doing it to protect Hannah and Harrison is just lame and shows a person not willing to learn at all from his mistakes (and since he had no urge to kill then it would follow that he wouldn't be putting anyone in danger anyway!). It's like the writers set out intentionally to annoy the fans.

Edited by Darren at 16:48:09 23-09-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 23 Sep 2013 16:47:08 9,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here's a question:

If Dexter had lost the urge to kill as suggested by the reduced number of kills this season, him letting Saxon live and him saying goodbye to the imaginary Harry Morgan then why would he 'destroy' Harrison and Hannah?

The only reason people he cared about died or were put in peril was because of what Dexter did which was tracking down and killing very bad people. But if he no longer wants to kill people then Harrison and Hannah would be safe, right?

I really do not understand the logic behind him faking his death at all. It would have only made sense if he still needs to kill to satiate his dark passenger but the series has gone to great lengths to show he no longer has that need.

Comments?

• CosmicFuzz 23 Sep 2013 16:52:30 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup you're right Darren. It doesn't make any sense.

If it had ended with Lumberjack Dexter going into his cabin and staring out the window for a bit, then opening a cupboard and unrolling his bag of knives (voice over: "Tonight's the night..." ) it would have made more sense. But if he's just gone off to sit quietly and not do anything, he could have done that anywhere.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 16:55:13 23-09-2013

• Deleted user 23 September 2013 16:57:07
    Maybe he's gone to kill bears.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 17:02:02
    I've seen a somewhat desperate defense of the ending that it's a "wink to the viewers" that Dexter is by a table. Because he likes "putting people on his table". Or something utterly ludicrous like that. Then the defense ended that we should basically be grateful that the writers were so magnanimous to reference us like that.

I'm extremely glad the rumours of a spin-off show have been quashed.
  • CosmicFuzz 23 Sep 2013 18:34:09 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They have? Excellent.

• DevilsKebab 23 Sep 2013 19:04:37 655 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A better ending would have been, he went to Argentina alone, ahead of H&H, ready to start a new life.
    Debs still gets killed and H&H are stopped before they get to leave the US

Then they could have ended it with, Dexter having tried his best to live out a normal life but then with everything taken away from him, his dark passenger takes over.
  • Darren 23 Sep 2013 19:12:56 9,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just watched it again and it really irks me that Dexter makes promises to Harrison and Hannah that he'll see them in Argentina and Deb even tells him not to feel guilty about what happened and to be happy, that he deserves it, yet he still make that stupid, stupid decision at the end to fake his death to protect the people he loves from a threat that no longer exists. I just hate that. Dexter looks so down at the end, like most of the viewing audience at that point, I'd imagine!

Things I did like about the last episode (yes, there are some) was the way Hannah dealt with Elway without actually killing him. Presumably the M99 tranquiliser was one of the "bits and pieces" Dexter mentioned to Hannah when he handed her the bag? The fact that she didn't poison or kill him made her appear more trustworthy and capable of loving and looking after Harrison. Her conversation with Harrison on the bus was cute as was Harrison whispering in Dexter's ear that he loved Hannah Corny it was, yes, but one of the few nice scenes. And if I wasn't convinced that Hannah really loved Dexter going into the final episodes then that scene in the cafe where she reads about Dexter's fate confirmed that she did. I actually ended up liking Hannah (despite the fact she was too dumb to disguise herself) so for her not to be with Dexter in the end when her dream to live in Argentina becomes a reality is really, really sad. Dexter's writers are just cruel IMO. Did anyone actually get a happy ending in that series?

Also, the scenes with Deb and Dexter in the hospital were fairly nice as was the flashbacks to when Harrison was born and Deb having a heart to heart with her brother. I'll admit I shed a tear when Dexter pulled the plug but mostly because I knew Deb's death was a waste since Dexter doesn't get the "happy" life she wanted for him (which would have justified her death as I said earlier). It's a real shame that Dexter didn't shed a tear when he unplugged Deb but I guess the writers decided that he isn't capable of that level of emotion (except for Doctor Vogel!).

Still utterly hate those final scenes with Dexter, particularly as for the first time in the series, there is no monologue and if the scene could have been redeemed with anything then it would have been through a voice-over as others have mentioned. He just shuts his eyes then suddenly opens them. Not sure what that meant exactly unless it indicated the old Dexter was back?

I'll give the finale 5/10 and season 8 overall 6/10.

Edited by Darren at 19:16:13 23-09-2013

• Stranded87 23 Sep 2013 19:35:59 933 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've actually quite liked this season and don't really think Dexter kept going downhill- I thought there was a noticeable drop in quality after the second season but beyond that it remained fairly level and still enjoyable.

That said the ending was a state. Just a massive let down. I don't really get all the moaning from people saying it was a terrible show though, surely if it's that terrible you don't watch all eight seasons? I know I wouldn't.

Edited by Stranded87 at 19:36:21 23-09-2013
  • Scimarad 23 Sep 2013 20:29:37 8,593 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd say the drop in quality came just before the end of the second season when Dexter came up with some lame justification as to why he couldn't turn himself in and then the Doakes problem was conveniently solved by someone else. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of decent stuff after that but that was the first time I felt the show was taking the easy way out at the expense of the characters.

Last few seasons have just been terrible, though.
  • kadooosh 23 Sep 2013 20:43:48 1,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AAARRRGGHHH! I'm so fucking pissed at that!

What the fucking fuck was that for an ending! That was fucking awful.

Been hyped for the ending foe month and that was how they chose! Bunch of pricks.
  • Megapocalypse 23 Sep 2013 20:54:25 5,491 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that was just a massive 'fuck you' to everyone that's watched this for the last eight years.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 20:55:15 23-09-2013
  • kadooosh 23 Sep 2013 21:15:19 1,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Megapocalypse exactly what I thought. Never been more pissed at an ending. I literally just thought about the amount of hours I've spent watching it for it to end like that.

A FUCKING LUMBERJACK!

Fuck you.
  • Psychotext 23 Sep 2013 21:16:58 54,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been clear for the last four episodes that we were going to get exactly that ending. Damn shame.
  • kadooosh 23 Sep 2013 21:32:31 1,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext didn't see a lumberjack coming. Maybe you have, did sorry.
  • Psychotext 23 Sep 2013 21:42:00 54,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You didn't see him "drowning" in the storm and then popping up again in a new life? The lumberjack bit is irrelevant.
  • captainrentboy 23 Sep 2013 21:48:29 1,059 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was writing a big ole rant, but deleted it when realising the words "What a big load of fucking shite" seemed to cover my thoughts far more efficiently.

And now on to Breaking Bad. :)
  • Dan234 23 Sep 2013 23:29:10 2,235 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not entirely sure if he planned to stage his death and turn up somewhere else or if he tried to kill himself and then found himself washed ashore alive, but either way he wouldn't have ended up sitting in a log cabin in British Columbia. If he was even half a human being as much as the entire bloody season set him up to be he'd have gone straight to Argentina to be with his son and Hannah.

It's really annoying when random shit happens just because the writers don't know where they're going or what they're doing.
  • Scurrminator 23 Sep 2013 23:54:20 8,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My god that plastic baby doll they held was shit. There's one shot where you can clearly see its a doll side on.
    Also episode was shit. Miserable ending.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• trevd72 24 Sep 2013 00:18:14 19 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An ending worse than Lost's, I thought it could not be done.
  • cjb_bjc 24 Sep 2013 00:53:13 1,156 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sigh. goodnight
  • Iain815 24 Sep 2013 02:57:41 436 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quite possibly the biggest pile of wank I've ever seen. This show is just a great, big cum stain on television.

NOTHING MADE ANY FUCKING SENSE. Lumberjack ending aside, why did he feel the need to take Deb from the hospital and chuck her in the ocean? I can't even think of a symbolic reason (well, a positive one at least) for doing it. Why did her death suddenly make him easily ditch his son and Hannah? And even the simple stuff - you'd think he'd show up on Airport CCTV dumping that bag there. The plastic baby doll just sent me into hysterics.

I can't get my head around how someone could possibly write such utter shite.

Edited by Iain815 at 02:58:53 24-09-2013
  • Page

of 62 First / Last