Dexter Page 59

• Page

of 62 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 10 Sep 2013 13:37:20 25,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz Because the executive producer was banging the actress.
    Haha makes more sense to be honest!

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• CosmicFuzz 10 Sep 2013 13:38:03 25,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    I did like something Dexter said this week though regarding Saxon; "He's the perfect killer.. just like I used to be." It's like even the writers know it's gone to shit.
    Yup I had the exact same thought. He's not a serial killer anymore, he's a boring old bastard.

• oceanmotion 10 Sep 2013 13:44:45 16,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Suppose it might fit with him dying to save someone rather than getting caught or killed. Some sort of redemption in the end but that causes his demise, how ironic.
  • Iain815 11 Sep 2013 01:30:50 437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With only 2 episodes to go, it's unlikely he'll be caught/revealed, at least not as a serial killer.

I'm hoping that he'll be killed off, it's the only decent way to end this wank now.

Ans what the fuck was up with Ghost-Harry? Normally he's a whiny bitch telling Dexter to stop being so involved other peoples affairs and focus on his family, but in this episode he was the complete opposite and desperate for Dexter to kill whats-his-fuck. Ugghh.
  • El_MUERkO 11 Sep 2013 01:34:02 17,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They'll probably end it with a kindly police officer picking up his son in a blood soaked room... THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEEEE
  • YenRug 11 Sep 2013 13:17:31 2,391 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    They'll probably end it with a kindly police officer picking up his son in a blood soaked room... THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEEEE
    I have wondered if there might be something along those lines planned, for the finale, as Harrison has been getting a bit more screentime as this season has gone on; I think it was when Dexter caught him lying, about the broken remote, that got me thinking along those lines.
  • Darren 16 Sep 2013 13:46:54 9,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dear lord, what has happened to Dexter? I've just watched episode 11, the penultimate episode of the series, and for about 45 of the 54 minutes, it was just dull and seems even more so after watching the equivalent Breaking Bad episode. The writing and plot couldn't be more different in quality.

What astounds me about this episode is just how utterly stupid Dexter is made to be. Shouldn't he know by now that not killing somebody who is evil straight away when you have them tied up is not a very good idea. At All? So what does he do, he saves Oliver Saxon, one of the dullest serial killers the series has had, for dear old sis, Deb, because he loves her (as a brother, obviously). Duh! It was so obvious how events were going to unfold. Did he not consider the fact that Oliver would spill the beans about Dexter from what he knows from tapping his mother's laptop if he was taken in alive? He knows about the code, Harry and that Dexter is a killer. It defies belief that Dexter did not off him there and then. But then the script writers had to find a way to kill off the nosy FBI agent in a very convenient way. The series has done this many times but, honestly, it's predictable and tired now.

And while I'm talking about idiotic characters, how about Hannah who is at Miami's biggest airport knowing that the FBI and Elway are on her case. Would it not, you know, be a good idea to disguise yourself at this point? She already has a fake name. Dye your hair, wear a hat and glasses, wear face paint, purple lipstick, sheesh, anything to make yourself look different from your wanted photo? I know I mentioned this last week but it is really ridiculous that she is walking around looking exactly like last season's Hannha! The writers could have had Hannah dye her hair the same colour as Deb then had the nurse at the hospital still recognise her when she took Harrison in. That way, when the FBI guy asked Deb about Harrison being spotted with Hannah then it would have been more convincing that Hannah was mistook for Deb if their hair colours were the same!

There is some seriously sloppy writing here IMO. I've really enjoyed Dexter but the second half of this season has been fairly plodding and boring. While I want to know how it ends, I can't honestly say that I'm hugely excited for next week as I've a feeling its going to be a disappointment based on these last five episodes.

Edited by Darren at 15:26:59 16-09-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Mola_Ram 16 Sep 2013 15:06:43 7,994 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I want to know how it ends, but I'm going to save myself some time and just read the spoilers.
  • Darren 16 Sep 2013 15:29:43 9,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I'm more annoyed about Dexter this week because I watched Breaking Bad straight after it and realised that that is how you do a tense, gripping episode with believable characters and motivations. There's an abyss between the two series in terms of writing IMO, though I do feel sorry for the actors who do their best with shoddy scripts. Right now, I'm not sure I want to know how Dexter ends because I have the horrid feeling that it's going to be a bit rubbish; like most of the second half of season 8. :(

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• b0rk 16 Sep 2013 16:06:19 2,942 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I want to know how it ends, but I'm going to save myself some time and just read the spoilers.
    Yep I'm going to do the same. Dexter has become painful to watch and I had to stop watching after episode 9 of the current series.

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 16:06:47 16-09-2013
  • Darren 16 Sep 2013 17:00:19 9,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are a couple of nice scenes between Deb and Dexter in this episode but then I remember that it was only a few episodes ago that Deb couldn't stomach being near Dexter because of what he does. Seemingly one angry session with Doctor Vogel and Dexter following a dive into a river was it took for her to get over it. If the series has one weakness then it's that it doesn't show the passage of time very well so it's impossible to know whether season 8 takes place over weeks or months.

• captainrentboy 16 Sep 2013 21:23:43 1,062 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One more episode before the final episode ever? Still absolute dog shit.
    It's so crap it's actually making me lose respect for Michael C Hall. (He's really phoning it in this season)
    I must remember to watch Dexter before Breaking Bad next week, as I spent 90% of this week's Dexter browsing the net reading reaction articles on BB, surely the finale will be at least "ok", won't it?
  • oceanmotion 18 Sep 2013 11:46:59 16,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Few little moments in the last episode that felt like old Dexter but still a bit shit. Rolling my eyes when he left Debs there and the Marshall showed up.

I get the feeling the end will involve Dexter on his boat in the big storm, whether he got away is up to the viewer.

Anyway, bring on the final episode.
  • Megapocalypse 18 Sep 2013 11:54:09 5,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope now he gets away and had a nice life with Hannah and Harrison. He's clearly not going to be caught as a serial killer and any other 'bad' ending for him will seem unnecessary and forced. Though that seems to be the writers way of doing everything at the moment...
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Sep 2013 12:00:29 25,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why the FUCK would Saxon go to the station voluntarily to clear his name as a suspect? He seemed surprised when Dexter went to take DNA!

"Hi Detective Quinn, I'd like to rule myself out as a suspect."

"Oh no problem Oliver. Let me just cross you off my suspect list. See you later!"

Oh wait I know why he did it. Because the writers are hacks.

• CosmicFuzz 18 Sep 2013 12:02:50 25,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, SHAMELESS PLUG FOR MY DEXTER REVIEWS

http://www.themarshalltown.com/zine/2013/09/18/recap-dexter-monkey-in-a-box/

Just started so be kind...

• YenRug 18 Sep 2013 12:25:47 2,391 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

One typo I noticed, "Saxton".

Also, as far as I could tell they hadn't found DNA evidence at Vogel's house, what they got Saxon on was a familial match to her, in the database.
  • whatfruit 18 Sep 2013 13:08:22 1,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do the writers have nothing but contempt for its audience? or have they simply been playing a game into who could sneak the worst script past the network that has backfired?

How did this get approved?

Have they simply given up because they are going head to head with BB. Have they just got the cheapest actors and writers they could find to wrap the whole thing up. It beggars belief that millions of dollars have been spent on this tripe.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• CosmicFuzz 18 Sep 2013 13:46:17 25,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

One typo I noticed, "Saxton".

Also, as far as I could tell they hadn't found DNA evidence at Vogel's house, what they got Saxon on was a familial match to her, in the database.
    Yup I noticed the typo after it was published. So annoying. And good point on the Vogel DNA, I clearly wasn't paying enough attention... (hard to with this show at times!) Cheers for comments!

• Darren 19 Sep 2013 12:16:22 9,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Why the FUCK would Saxon go to the station voluntarily to clear his name as a suspect? He seemed surprised when Dexter went to take DNA!

"Oh no problem Oliver. Let me just cross you off my suspect list. See you later!"

Yeah, it was utterly dumb because in order to clear himself as a suspect then he would have to give DNA seeing as they already knew the blood on Cassie's fingernails wasn't her (it was Zack's, planted there by Saxon, but Dexter made sure that no-one else knew that). Saxon must have realised that he's be swabbed?

At first I thought he wanted to be caught but later on there's some dialogue that suggests it wasn't the case. It's why I think Saxon is the series' lamest serial killer and it's sad that he also happens to be the weakest antagonist yet for Dexter.

• whatfruit 19 Sep 2013 12:22:36 1,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Yeah, it was utterly dumb because in order to clear himself as a suspect then he would have to give DNA seeing as they already knew the blood on Cassie's fingernails wasn't her (it was Zack's, planted there by Saxon, but Dexter made sure that no-one else knew that). Saxon must have realised that he's be swabbed?

At first I thought he wanted to be caught but later on there's some dialogue that suggests it wasn't the case. It's why I think Saxon is the series' lamest serial killer and it's sad that he also happens to be the weakest antagonist yet for Dexter.
    I'm suprised that Quinn managed to work it out. It was probably his one successful act of police work during his whole time in Miami Metro homicide.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Darren 19 Sep 2013 12:29:01 9,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

That is a very good review and I agree with almost all of the points you raised. I'm surprised though that you made no mention of the fact that Hannah was wandering around in public looking exactly like her wanted photo and, thus, very easy for Elway to follow because at no point had she ever considered that disguising herself would be a very good idea indeed, seeing as she is a wanted fugitive. Even if she didn't consider it prior to Harrison's hospital visit, she should certainly have done so afterward as Deb told her that both the Federal Marshall, Clayton, and Elway were on to her. Such utterly, utterly bad writing IMO.

But it's just another example of the sloppy writing this season to join all the other examples you pointed out in your review. It saddens me to say this,as I've been a huge fan of Dexter up to part way through season 8, but I really don't care for how this ends now. I'll watch it but I'm expecting it to be a bitter disappointment, much like the rest of this final season. I'm beginning to think now that they should have had Deb just shoot Dexter at the end of season 7 and have concluded the series right there!

Edited by Darren at 12:30:25 19-09-2013

• CosmicFuzz 19 Sep 2013 12:54:25 25,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha I know, it's such a nonsense. I definitely mentioned it in an earlier review, it was when Clayton came to her friends house and she waltzed out after in her pink dress. Ridiculous!

• vijay_UK 22 Sep 2013 14:18:32 2,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been a staunch supporter of Dexter thus far, but I'm finding this final season lacking in any imagination and excitement.

It's fizzing out now, with an inevitible and perhaps bog-standard ending.

I would have liked this final season to have been a little bit more along the lines of Dexter & Deb being fugitives, having been caught out early on in the season as murderers of *****.

Being under serious pressure from the police might have given Dexter's character more to chew on; rather than out-witting police in the hunt for those who deserve to die, he has to now out-wit the police to save himself.

ps. Nice to see Lem.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Sep 2013 03:32:58 7,994 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, that was some finale-that-I-didn't-actually-watch-but-read-about.

/hums The Lumberjack Song
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 06:03:21
    I haven't even finished the episode and I'm annoyed. It's so utterly shit.

HELLO I AM DEXTER, AFTER KILLING SOMEONE IN COLD BLOOD ON CAMERA I AM JUST GOING TO WALK OUT NO QUESTIONS ASKED, HEAD TO THE HOSPITAL, TURN OFF LIFE SUPPORT ON MY SISTER WHO'S HOOKED UP TO A LOAD OF ALARMS AND MONITORS, THEN JUST WALK OUT WITH HER BODY.

Not to mention the bollocks subplots that literally meant nothing. What was the point of Matsuka's daughter? Christ, what a shit end to a series that, overall, has been more terrible than good. I'd say three decent seasons, two alright ones, three terrible ones.

Edited by meme at 06:03:40 23-09-2013
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 06:14:47
    Pretty much spot on.
  • Darren 23 Sep 2013 08:56:18 9,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Urgh! What a bitter disappointment the finale was. Apart from a couple cliched but emotionally satisfying scenes, the rest of the final episode was utter drivel and the final scene just made me screan WTF! at the TV! It was such a huge letdown for me.

I knew Deb would die, it was so predictable and the only way Dexter could truly let go and be with Hannah. But, no, wait, the writers didn't even have the decency to just let Deb die, they had to put her in a stroke leaving Dexter to unplug her from life support (there was a scene in an earlier season where she told Dexter that she didn't want to be a vegetable so that made sense) where he dumped her in the ocean, the same place he put all his other victims. It's supposed to be a metaphor I guess but it gave the impression that (a) he killed her; and (b) that he no more cared for her than he did any of his other victims. That scene just felt cheap and it might have been saved if Dexter had actually showed some of the emotion he was supposed to have. A tear perhaps? No, he looks slightly upset then decides to take the boat right into the heart of the storm uttering some rubbish about how he destroys everyone in his life.

That might well be true but what irritated me about the final season is the whole arc about Dexter becoming humanized and emotional, actually loving someone and caring about his son. So what does he do at the end he chooses to grow a beard and look miserable in a log cabin somewhere (presumably Canada?) on his own, leaving Hannha and his son to think he's dead. Now does that strike anyone else as being a satisfactory ending to his character?

As far I'm concerned the answer is a big NO! They should have just left the series with him going into the storm and actually ended it with him being assumed dead. The last scene was completely unnecessary. Better still, they should have had him in Rio with Hannah. Yeah, I know that final scene is supposed to show Dexter sacrificing everything so that his son and Hannah can be safe. It was still hugely unsatisfying though as was much of season 8. They should have renamed the last episode "Let's Give Everyone a Really Miserable Ending!" because that's pretty much what it was.

As for Olvier Saxon, the confrontation between Dexter and him where Dexter killed him was ridiculous as was the scene that followed with Batista and Quinn who just let him go, neither of them any the wiser to Dexter's true character. That was an insult to there character. And why the heck was Tom Mathhews in this season anyway, all he did was show up for a few minutes, utter something and then disappear into the background. His character was utterly redundant IMO.

I really enjoyed Dexter but the last half of season 8, and especially the final episode, were real letdowns IMO.

Edited by Darren at 09:25:34 23-09-2013

• PearOfAnguish 23 Sep 2013 13:01:51 7,461 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What a shitty end to a terrible season. The show had been rapidly spiraling the drain after whatever season John Lithgow was in, but the last couple - and this one in particular - have been insultingly bad. It's a big middle finger to everyone who has followed it for all this time.
  • Page

of 62 First / Last