DIY Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Goban 20 Jul 2007 11:31:02 9,103 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I love my house. Just a pity the local council stuffed a street full of chavscum nearby to "harmonise and encourage integration"

Peej
    It's all about creating sustainable and socially integrated communities my friend ;)
  • X201 20 Jul 2007 11:34:24 15,729 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A two page DIY thread :)

We're a bunch of old farts.

Next stop. "Radio 2 is too loud these days, I prefer Saga FM" :)

• pinkds 20 Jul 2007 11:40:59 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    no, I'm just not 18 any more, I want to come home to my nice house that is not rented and eat my dinner I have carefully prepared and watch my boyfriend battle his way through Zelda all evening whilst I do a bit of DIY and drinking copiuos amounts of expensive red wine. Is that too much to ask after commuting 4 hours a day?

Maybe I am becoming middle aged.
  • pjmaybe 20 Jul 2007 11:42:14 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I love my house. Just a pity the local council stuffed a street full of chavscum nearby to "harmonise and encourage integration"

Peej
    It's all about creating sustainable and socially integrated communities my friend ;)

Fuck that for a game of soldiers!!

Integration DOES NOT equal revving your stupidly loud motorbike for two solid hours a night just because it sounds nice reverberating around the buildings (and I do mean reverberating).

Peej
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 11:45:24 9,103 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    Maybe I am becoming middle aged.

Nothing wrong with that.

/dances badly and pulls muscle in back
  • Goban 20 Jul 2007 11:47:25 9,103 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Integration DOES NOT equal revving your stupidly loud motorbike for two solid hours a night just because it sounds nice reverberating around the buildings (and I do mean reverberating).

Peej
    It's up to you, the socially responsible member of the community, to point out the error of his chavscum ways. It's you that must beat the pathway to a beautiful utopia of peace and harmony, and a lack of uPVC.

Added ecouragement: Go Peej, Go Peej!

Edited by Goban at 11:48:33 20-07-2007
  • pjmaybe 20 Jul 2007 11:48:00 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:

Peej
    It's up to you, the socially responsible member of the community, to point out the error of his chavscum ways. It's you that must beat the pathway to a beautiful utopia of peace and harmony, and a lack of uPVC.

Can I not just bash his bike to bits with a baseball bat? Y'know, integrate and do like they do?

Peej
  • Popzeus 20 Jul 2007 11:49:30 8,427 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:

OK, maybe not actually "freeze to death" - I was exaggerating to make my point because I'm riled.

I just find the current fashion for whingeing about double glazing 'spoiling' old houses infuriating and pretentious.

So, you'd rather rip out all the nice old features and have every house looking like it was built by Barratt fucking Homes or something? People like features in a house, simple as that. It's not pretentious - not everyone wants to live in a new house with square, dull rooms and no character.

That's not what I'm saying at all. It's perfectly possible to keep most of the 'nice old features' and 'character' in a house intact while still having double glazing, as indeed is the case in my own home. Lovely fireplaces etc for the win, and I never implied otherwise. Also I'd agree that wooden doors are better than UPVC doors and would certainly rather have one myself.

BUT.

The original windows in most older houses, especially the Victorian ones, are really nothing to write home about. I've nothing particularly against them but they're functional rather than a "feature" and their loss is not the end of the world, certainly not in the league of, say, ripping out a fireplace.

There are at least three practical advantages to having double glazing (no draughts, MUCH quieter and harder to break in through), which surely outweigh the alleged "ugliness" (which, in any case, is purely subjective). Hence all the "oh, the heathens, how could they" arguments as seen in this thread are pure snobbery and thus pretentious.

In short: plenty of people like double glazing, there are plenty of old houses without it, so if it's that important to you don't buy a double glazed house. Horses for courses, innit.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Goban 20 Jul 2007 11:50:53 9,103 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Can I not just bash his bike to bits with a baseball bat? Y'know, integrate and do like they do?

Peej
    I can sense your heart really isn't with this whole concept. We are doomed to a society of haves and have nots :(

pjmaybe, your our only hope.
  • Grunk 6 Nov 2007 08:55:33 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    diynot.com

you could use a metal paint if you want to change the colour (like a radiator paint). But you'll have to be patient to get a good finish.

Or you could get the windows replaced with wooden fram double glazing.

Btw if you want to be environmentally friendly with your energy usage you should paint your radiators matt black (who's matt black?) .

• DaM 6 Nov 2007 09:20:36 13,523 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    List of people who read thread from the start ignoring the date:

Grunk
  • Dougs 18 Sep 2008 12:52:14 69,473 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bump....

What is it about parents and DIY? My old man was just round telling me off for not doing my jobs (it's the first day of my first holiday since Christmas, forgive me if I'm being lazy). And then proceeds to patronise me by telling me how to do it all. I am a self confessed fuckwit, but it's only some mastik FFS!
  • JuanKerr 18 Sep 2008 13:01:53 36,443 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Our generation is bollocks at DIY, simple as that. We can find some pointless information on the internet in under 8 seconds, but we're fucked if a fuse blows.
  • Dougs 18 Sep 2008 13:03:28 69,473 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thing is, I revert back to being a teenager when the old man goes on. I just switch off. Much better at just having a go and seeing what happens imo.

Bless him.
  • Mageme 18 Sep 2008 13:17:27 2,046 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Our generation is bollocks at DIY, simple as that. We can find some pointless information on the internet in under 8 seconds, but we're fucked if a fuse blows.

I remember wiring a plug back in physics class years ago. Haven't really had the need wire a plug or change a plug fuse since then.

I can just about put together an Ikea flatpack.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• DaM 18 Sep 2008 13:46:00 13,523 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My father-in-law jumps in and does it long before I can get my arse into gear and do it myself.

He's at home at the moment, ripping out a fireplace and tiling the downstairs bog.

I'll let him drink one of my beers for the privilege.
  • rock27gr 18 Sep 2008 14:01:48 5,781 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:

In short: plenty of people like double glazing, there are plenty of old houses without it, so if it's that important to you don't buy a double glazed house. Horses for courses, innit.

This.

Didn't you notice the windows when looking up the place? If not, it must not look so bad afterall; if you did, it mustn't have been a very negative issue to begin with since you bought the house anyway.
  • Dougs 18 Sep 2008 14:02:32 69,473 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, sometimes that's easier with my dad too. He's 73, got stenosis of the spine and leukaemia and he still won't stop! Mastiking done, I have no doubt he'll be round to check on the job tomorrow. Which inevitably won't be good enough, but hey ho!
  • Carrybagma 18 Sep 2008 14:03:47 3,904 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    My father-in-law jumps in and does it long before I can get my arse into gear and do it myself.

He's at home at the moment, ripping out a fireplace and tiling the downstairs bog.

I'll let him drink one of my beers for the privilege.
    Actually, I'm on the Internet reading all the filth you write here.

Never go near my Daughter again.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Lutz 25 Feb 2009 12:18:03 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *BUMP*

Tiling can FUCK OFF.

I'm tiling about half my bathroom. 600 tiles. I've done 60 tiles in 4 hours.

36 hours to go... and I've not got to the tricky bit around the sink and toilet yet... :(
  • Jeepers 25 Feb 2009 12:30:09 13,311 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lutz, if God had wanted us to do our own tiling, he wouldn't have given us the money to hire some other fucker to do it for us.

Get on the 'phone, hire someone and then kick back whilst they do all the work.

This is from Jeepers' School of Constant Laziness.
  • Lutz 25 Feb 2009 12:31:43 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would, but tilers are pricey, and I've just paid the plumber 3 ton. :(
  • chopsen 25 Feb 2009 12:32:33 16,281 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've done a bit of diy, but I baulked at the idea of tiling. Didn't even look in to doing it myself. How the fuck do you do the fiddly bits!? Get a man in.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last