DIY Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Nexus_6 27 Jun 2012 08:28:13 3,889 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wouldn't imagine so. If you are on the ground floor then yes, but upper should be ok.

Sealant isn't too tricky right enough so if you were worried you could get a penetrating sealer painted/mopped on. HG would do one.

There is a lovely big floor scraper on B&Q that will take someone's head off I can recommend.

Also, have you seen the concrete floor? You may require some sort of levelling screed if it is very uneven (trowel finish if it's the 70's top face) again though not difficult.
  • Folant 27 Jun 2012 09:20:05 1,348 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seventeen floors up, so you reckon I could get away without?
    Not that it's hard or I'm shying away from
    Anything, but there's no need if it's not needed and is one less expense.

Would it be damaging in any way if I did?

Not seen the floor yet, but it looks pretty level. Then again, with cushioning underlay it would anyway, no? I'll be able to have a proper look when I get back home.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Dougs 27 Jun 2012 09:26:02 68,385 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wouldn't have thought levelling would be an issue with underlay. It's no bother to apply a PVA sealant though, only takes 30 mins or so to slap that on. I wouldn't waste time taking up every bit of adhesive either, just the big bits that might feel odd underfoot or damage the underlay.
  • mrpon 27 Jun 2012 09:50:21 29,184 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you renting Fol? If yes, sure you can do that? If not, carry on.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Folant 27 Jun 2012 10:32:56 1,348 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Renting yeah. Though before I signed the tenancy before, it was mentioned that any internal decors are fine but I have to handle them myself, as long as its not proper big job like fitting a new kitchen, bathroom etc..
    Though I will be on the blower now to make 100% sure. Lol

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• mrpon 27 Jun 2012 10:43:43 29,184 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I'd check that definitely, can't you get the landlord to foot the bill? Or compromise on a 50/50 setup, you're enhancing his property for him.

• smoothpete 2 Oct 2012 14:52:20 31,574 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone got much experience of insulating a loft? We had the floor of the loft insulated and part-boarded. Now I want to do the eaves. Deciding between that roll foam stuff (itchy, bit of a ballache) or trying a DIY kit of spray-on expanding foam. Sort of tending towards the spray foam as it also adheres to the roof tiles
  • Goban 2 Oct 2012 15:03:03 9,073 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whats your roof construction?

You need to maintain some sort of ventilation into your roof space, is there any at the moment or is it an old roof?
    Di you intend to completely fill the between the rafters with foam? if so it'll have to be moisture permeable.
    You've also got the option of the multi layer foil that you can staple to the structure.
  • smoothpete 2 Oct 2012 15:30:57 31,574 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently ventilated? I should fucking say so, it's blowing a gale up there now. It's all original 1930s, beams about a foot apart. Not slate tiles, sort of ceramic (?). Yeah I was planning to cover all the space between the rafters
  • billythekid 2 Oct 2012 15:37:31 11,196 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Celotex would probably be the easiest way to do it.
  • smoothpete 2 Oct 2012 15:59:43 31,574 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ok I will look into that, ta. Can I really not just get a spray gun? I was gonna strap it to my back and play Ghostbusters
  • mrpon 2 Oct 2012 16:35:31 29,184 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looked into grants? Could be free for you.

• Goban 2 Oct 2012 17:14:50 9,073 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grants tend to only cover the easy stuff.

rigid board is pretty good, although you have to maintain an air gap to prevent condensation.

The draught is probably accounting fir a lot of the heat loss, you could just fix a breather membrane to the underside of the joists.
  • localnotail 21 Oct 2012 21:25:22 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not really DIY, but does anyone have any tips about how best to prep for a double glazing install, and what to watch for when it's happening? Ours goes in this week, we've stripped the old wallpaper back about a foot around all of them but not sure what else to do.

Edited by localnotail at 22:33:01 21-10-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dougs 21 Oct 2012 21:31:43 68,385 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's more about ensuring they leave the place in a fit state and the finish is good than the prep. Outside especially.
  • localnotail 21 Oct 2012 22:36:51 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair enough. I will be keeping an eye on them & I've no problem with badgering them to make everything right. Just not sure what to expect - my old rented flat was done really quickly but I went out for the day. This is scheduled to take 3-4. Don't really want to leave them alone in case they mess my house up but am guessing it will be too loud to stay in with a baby.

Edited by localnotail at 22:38:16 21-10-2012

• X201 7 Jan 2013 16:52:58 15,577 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A second pair of hands will make things a lot easier.

Other than that, anyone with a fair degree of DIY competency should manage it. Wouldn't do it as a "My First DIY task" though.
  • henro_ben 7 Jan 2013 17:27:54 2,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    A second pair of hands will make things a lot easier.
    Definitely this, although internal doors are a bit easier on your own than front doors.

Only tip I can think of is if your door/frame is an odd fit - use the old door as a template for cutting the new one.

Edited by henro_ben at 17:31:11 07-01-2013
  • Deleted user 7 January 2013 19:16:27
    HELP

Hot water tap has just outright stopped working (no drips or anything) so I'm guessing it is something to do with the washer and at least want to check before running to my landlord. Problem is I can't get the fucking tap bonnet off without scratching it. Tried putting something between the wrench but is proving futile. Any suggestions? (I don't have a strap wrench).
  • jonsaan 7 Jan 2013 19:17:41 25,360 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Masking tape.

FCUTA!

• mrpon 7 Jan 2013 19:19:36 29,184 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sock. No, not that one.

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 19:26:29
    jonsaan wrote:
    Masking tape.
    Good man! Never thought of that, cheers.
  • Bremenacht 7 Jan 2013 20:52:06 18,719 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wrap it around the wrench jaws though - not the tap bit.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2013 20:56:53
    I don't even have a spare washer yet but want to double check that is the problem first.

I'll report back when I no doubt end up burning the house down.
  • localnotail 7 Jan 2013 22:46:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Burning the house down with hot water?

I fitted a new vinyl floor in my bathroom this week, and rehung an old door into a new frame. All by myself.

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 22:55:11
    Worked like a charm, problem is now that it is rusted and crumbling to fuck underneath so not sure how easy it will be to get it out to access the washer. A problem for tomorrow though!
  • localnotail 4 Jan 2014 09:50:58 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Today I am going to make a set of shelves from the old wooden bed frame pieces that have been leaning against the wall in the spare room for 2 years because I find it very hard to throw anything potentially useful away.

Yesterday we actually fitted the toilet roll holder that has been sitting in the bathroom for 18 months.

Exciting times.

• Dougs 4 Jan 2014 12:30:10 68,385 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good work. Did you use any underlay for the vinyl flooring? I've got to lay one in the next few weeks in what is loosely termed our conservatory, but I've had to install a tongue and groove chipboard sub floor, which has left quite a few imperfections. If I stick vinyl straight over it, they will show through eventually. I don't think even supposed to though
  • localnotail 4 Jan 2014 14:57:42 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I should've done but we only had a small window of opportunity and so now we just have a slightly lumpy floor :( Next time, I would probably line it with 4mm ply first to avoid this, as there is room under the door. in the future there will be a better bathroom though, so it doesn't annoy me too much. I keep telling myself it is character, like all the other flaws in the house.

Are you using a template or just going in raw? I just used the old piece of vinyl as a template, but you could make one with cardboard taped together. Just remember that it has to go on the top of the new vinyl when cutting it.

OK. Child is despatched to her aunts with her dad, so it's time to start drilling and sawing. Got a few other things to do that make a lot of noise so it's a lot easier to do them all without a curious / terrified toddler underfoot. To the power tools!

Edited by localnotail at 14:59:11 04-01-2014

• Page

of 7 First / Last