Exercise advice and weight loss Page 253

• Page

of 307 First / Last

• fletch7100 12 Mar 2014 12:00:38 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Zomoniac

Exercises like that switch over to a 5x5 or 8x5. Get through exercises quicker and ramp up the weights quicker. Struggling at the end just do some push presses get you through. Also try do 10 second lockouts at top of the movement, helps with your whole midsection stabilzing the weight as it's above your head

Will get some strange looks at the gym as you ramp up the weight. Loved doing that exercise. Wasn't putting up massive numbers but normal standing press was total weight 60kg 5x5. Push press 75kg with 10 second lockout. Was always power clean weight first, so feet were always shoulder width apart.

Start of every set power clean the bar before starting. Start looking at doing cleans as well
    Add in different routines squat/push press combo is great.

Edited by fletch7100 at 12:12:23 12-03-2014
  • sport 12 Mar 2014 12:21:32 12,675 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    So having just joined a proper gym after wanting to do proper bar work rather than home dumbbell work, it's becoming alarmingly apparent how weak I am when using proper equipment. Been doing standing military barbell presses, can't even get out 4 sets of 10 using a completely unloaded 20kg bar without starting to fall over towards the end of the last set. It's amazing how much easier it is when you can inadvertently cheat by using a bit of momentum to push up with dumbbells.

And you don't half feel a right tit standing in the gym working out with an empty bar!
    This.

I suspect I'll be very average if I do proper bar work at a gym. But I just can't justify the expense and time vs the home workouts.
  • Zomoniac 12 Mar 2014 12:34:53 7,821 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @fletch7100

Thanks for that, some useful stuff in there. I'm pretty new to all this bar stuff, did a bit many (12 or so) years ago, but was completely ignorant on form and I'm pretty sure I was making up half the lifts as I went along! Been doing home dumbbell stuff for a couple of years, but wanted to try doing it properly, getting to use a proper squat rack, olympic bar and stuff I just don't have space for at home. I've never even done a clean! Just reading through Starting Strength atm so I'll see what that has to say on how to do one.

Right now I'm just looking to get my form in place and build a strength base, long term I would like to get a lot bigger, but I've signed up for a 24 hour relay in July which is going to be about 60km of running in a day, so I'm going to have to be doing many hours of cardio a week to train for that, so there's no point me even trying to get in an anabolic state. Plan is to learn the lifts and get my form right for the next five months, then when I finally quit distance running for good in August I have a good starting point to jump in to try getting some good results. Besides, a distressingly ill-disciplined December/January left me going from 13-14% BF to 20%, so a cut is definitely in order first!
  • X201 12 Mar 2014 12:38:07 15,228 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:

And you don't half feel a right tit standing in the gym working out with an empty bar!
    There's a massive market for the gym chain that wakes up to the fact that the main reason for people not joining, is because they don't want to feel like a tit.

All it would have taken in your case are some dummy weights on the bar.

Edited by X201 at 12:38:50 12-03-2014
  • fletch7100 12 Mar 2014 12:39:27 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Best thing is not to worry about what you think you look like at the gym and people's perception of you. Was doing a lot of training going into overtraining too much. Let my ego take over and Injured myself. Couple of weeks off, took that time to rethink my plans, read up a bit more. Went back to the gym and started with week one day one basics. Just with the bar to relearn everything, and get my body use to training again. Didn't care what anyone thought or how I looked as I knew what my long term plan was.
  • Zomoniac 12 Mar 2014 12:46:42 7,821 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:

There's a massive market for the gym chain that wakes up to the fact that the main reason for people not joining, is because they don't want to feel like a tit.

All it would have taken in your case are some dummy weights on the bar.
    The bar has some sort of wooden wheel things about the size of the large plates so you can still deadlift an empty bar without resting on the floor, but they're certainly not dummy weights :)

Problem with that is everyone would know the dummy ones from the real ones within a week. In some ways it would make it worse as it looks like you're trying to hide something. I would prefer an unloaded bar to a dummy weight, I only use the wooden discs just to make it easier to pick up. I feel like a tit, but it doesn't really bother me enough to not do it. Got to start somewhere, and I'd rather be working my way up starting with an empty bar and being self-conscious at the gym for an hour than not bothering and being self-conscious everywhere else all the time.
  • fletch7100 12 Mar 2014 12:51:47 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Zomoniac

We shall celeberate the day when you take your stabiliser wheels off your Olympic bar :)
  • sport 12 Mar 2014 12:52:53 12,675 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's still alot to be said for a solid home workout. Push-ups, pull-ups, heavy dumbbell lunges. You might not get gymbro huge, but given time and variation, you can definitely put on some decent muscle.
  • Psychotext 12 Mar 2014 12:56:32 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ehh, with the right selection of weights at home you can get gymbro huge. You could even technically do it with bands.

You don't need machines to get RIPPED.
  • fletch7100 12 Mar 2014 13:00:25 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Best to train to suit your needs and what you body(depending on injuries) can do. So if there is any sport you like playing base your training round that activity or exercises that can benefit that sport for example.
  • sport 12 Mar 2014 13:05:30 12,675 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What if your sport is "looking good"?
  • fletch7100 12 Mar 2014 13:08:33 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @sport

Then you better give up that sport. I'm not a miracle worker :)
  • mrpon 12 Mar 2014 13:14:25 28,709 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Ehh, with the right selection of weights at home you can get gymbro huge. You could even technically do it with bands.

Yup, don't post pics very often but I'm pretty chuffed so far.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• EMarkM 12 Mar 2014 13:19:29 3,173 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another kilo off. Either four or nine more to go, depending on how I want to play it.

He says. Typing from McDonald's :eek:
  • Psychotext 12 Mar 2014 13:19:39 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's sad really, it has to be a mental health disorder that would have people injecting oil into their arms to achieve that. Appalling.
  • sport 12 Mar 2014 13:20:39 12,675 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:

Yup, don't post pics very often but I'm pretty chuffed so far.
    mrpon - my hero right there!
  • fletch7100 12 Mar 2014 13:25:45 7,127 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    It's sad really, it has to be a mental health disorder that would have people injecting oil into their arms to achieve that. Appalling.
    Reminds me have to see that documentary about that man who wanted the biggest biceps. When he was draining fluid from his arms using a syringe. Strange man
  • Br0ken_Engli5h 15 Mar 2014 20:51:12 1,194 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, that'll have been Greg Valentino. I don't get Synthol use at all. I would never use steroids, but at least it looks like muscle instead of horrible, bloaty lumps of meat. There's just nothing natural looking about it.
    Check out Tiny Iron, supposed owner of Britain's biggest arms. He's got it in his Bi's, Tri's, Delts and Traps and just looks absolutely ridiculous.
  • sport 9 Apr 2014 11:06:24 12,675 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gear use is on the up! Stay safe bros

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26890715
  • captbirdseye 9 Apr 2014 11:15:01 4,835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe, I did like the 'I want to look like Arnie'. I was a little disappointed that no one used bro!
  • Zomoniac 9 Apr 2014 11:20:55 7,821 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The idea of injecting myself with anything is terrifying. I'm a clumsy fucker at the best of times, knowing me I'd stick a needle full of steroids in the wrong place and end up growing a second head or something.
  • Psychotext 11 Apr 2014 09:26:58 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second time I've ever worked out in the morning, last time I'll ever do it.

I really don't know how you morning people manage it. I nearly threw up twice and I couldn't do close to my usual numbers, it's like my body just flat out wouldn't work. Blech.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 09:30:12 23,742 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, you should stick with it psycho! I love a morning workout, haven't been able to do one for a while now with my commute, but it always set me up for the day, got it out of the way early and meant I was pretty knackered come bedtime and slept well! Plus, gets the metabolism burning (apparently).

Did you have anything to eat? I normally chowed down on a banana on my way to the gym.

Currently I'm living in Edinburgh and working in Glasgow. Train it through in the morning, but thinking I might just start getting up at 6ish, throwing on some joggers and a hoodie, bundle my suit in a bag, jump on the train through, go to gym (next to work) and maybe do a spin class or something, then head to work.

The thought of getting a train at 6.45 is so unappealing it's untrue, but I just can't be arsed faffing around after work. I don't get home until around 7 as it is.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• craigy Staff 11 Apr 2014 09:56:14 7,567 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Psychotext Keep going! It took about a month to not feel like I was going to die working out before breakfast.
  • smoothpete 11 Apr 2014 10:06:32 31,457 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Usually I skip breakfast then have a midday workout of some kind, and eat lunch afterwards. It's probably bad for me but fuck it. Seems to work.

The other day I climbed the Empire State building on the step machine. i think it was only about 18 minutes but I was utterly fucked afterwards
  • captbirdseye 11 Apr 2014 10:09:24 4,835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The idea of weights and morning is a massive no no for me.

The problem you have is that you need high energy levels ASAP so you need a combination of good carbs and protein which means a pretty big breakfast, and then you need to feed the body even more after working out which just makes me bloated and a bit sicky.

I just think that your body doesn't hold enough energy levels for a decent more workout imo.

After work/2 hours before dinner is always best.

Edited by captbirdseye at 10:11:38 11-04-2014
  • sport 11 Apr 2014 10:11:34 12,675 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psychotext - don't listen to Cosmic or craigy mate. Only bros jacked up to the hilt have the juice to power through first thing in the morning. Stay natty!
  • Benno 11 Apr 2014 10:19:12 9,819 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Morning workouts, as most people will testify, are something that the body may reject at first, but will adapt and become comfortable with in time.

Give it a solid month of morning workouts, and you'll feel a lot different.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 10:23:09 23,742 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    @Psychotext - don't listen to Cosmic or craigy mate. Only bros jacked up to the hilt have the juice to power through first thing in the morning. Stay natty!
    Hey sport, you bojo! Workouts don't work in the morning! Unless you've got POWER!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 10:23:42 23,742 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How to ruin a great quote and make it unrecognisable in one easy step :(

• Page

of 307 First / Last