Exercise advice and weight loss Page 230

• Page

of 256 First / Last

• thenastypasty 29 Mar 2013 12:47:58 5,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm after a bit of advice. I've hit my first goal of dropping 2 stone(going from 17:12 down to 15:11) by doing lots of cardio plus basic weights and kettlebells. I now want to build muscle. Any advice on how I should be training would be greatly appreciated?

Edited by thenastypasty at 12:48:23 29-03-2013
  • Psychotext 29 Mar 2013 13:08:02 52,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Less cardio, more weights... put very simply.
  • thenastypasty 29 Mar 2013 13:17:48 5,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I get that :)

What I mean is should I be training an Individual body part everyday? How many reps? should I be lifting my max weight? That kind of stuff really.

Edited by thenastypasty at 13:18:22 29-03-2013
  • Psychotext 29 Mar 2013 13:20:42 52,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's not the sort of advice someone can just give you on a forum. It's too specific.

Find a book like "Starting Strength" and follow it, or look around for routines people have recommended.
  • Psychotext 29 Mar 2013 13:22:36 52,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Though just to prove me wrong I'm sure someone here might be willing to type out the 8 pages of information you'll need...
  • Derblington 29 Mar 2013 13:36:28 20,950 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not too hard to get started...

Go for a 2 day split, upper and lower body or push/pull movements.
    2 exercises per muscle group: 1st exercise compound movement pyramid sets (reps: 12, 10, 8, 6 or 10, 8, 6, 4) followed by 2nd exercise isolation movement drop sets (reps: 8, 8).
    Don't lift on consecutive days, so train m, w, f or t, t, s and do cardio on the between days if and when you want it.
    Take at least 1 day off a week.
    Stick to a set routine for at least 4 weeks before changing stuff up.
    Job done.

Google all that stuff or search bodybuilding.com. There are tons of decent plans to get going, and once you get a feel for all the exercise you can start to tailor it a bit.

Edited by Derblington at 13:40:04 29-03-2013
  • thenastypasty 30 Mar 2013 10:03:00 5,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks Derbs that routine is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Anyone recommend a reasonably priced retailer for supplements?
  • THFourteen 30 Mar 2013 11:21:11 31,790 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brotein!

I recommend reflex deluxe whey, the banofee flavour, you can get it from affordable supplements via amazon or direct from their website.

It's the only protein powder I've used that tastes reasonable.

Also if you are just starting out, a few weeks of all over body training three days a week wouldn't hurt just while you learn the exercises and your body adapts before jumping in with a split routine.

Just IMO, not any medical reason.

Also essentially if you want to build muscle and you can do more than 12 reps of whatever exercise you are doing you need to increase the weight :-)
  • thenastypasty 30 Mar 2013 16:22:12 5,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been doing an all over body routine as part of the weight loss program so moving onto a more weight focused routine shouldn't come as to much of a shock...

The supplements on the other hand are an other thing! Talking to a mate this afternoon who used to train all the time told me I should be using Bcaa's, test boosters, creatine and protein shakes!! I don't know what half of them are :)
  • scott1987 30 Mar 2013 16:24:12 121 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anyone have any tips on eating healthy and sticking to healthy eating? I can go a few days and then I crack and have something bad

Edited by scott1987 at 16:24:32 30-03-2013

Edited by scott1987 at 16:29:43 30-03-2013
  • mrpon 30 Mar 2013 16:26:46 27,640 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    scott1987 wrote:
    sticking to eat
    You've got food on the brain, haven't you? Try this inspirational picture.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• scott1987 30 Mar 2013 16:28:53 121 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hahahaha I'm going to print them out and stick them round the house, cheers for spotting my typing error as well

Edited by scott1987 at 16:30:26 30-03-2013
  • andytheadequate 30 Mar 2013 16:36:59 7,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unless you are playing sports at a high level, supplements are an utter waste of time and money.

As for reps, I try to mix it up. I usually do 6-8 reps on a high weight, but sometimes go for 12-15 reps on a medium weight. Also, it's always worth doing body weight exercises too (push ups, pull ups, sit ups etc).

In general, free weights are far better than machines, and exercises that use a lot of muscles are better than ones that isolate a particular muscle
  • Derblington 30 Mar 2013 17:10:34 20,950 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Unless you are playing sports at a high level, supplements are an utter waste of time and money.
    I don't think that's true but you have to train intensely to see the benefit; casually throwing around some weights and then taking supplements won't get you anywhere.

End of the day, you can do it all with whole foods and some effort, it's more about convenience than necessity. For regular gym goers looking for general fitness, some whey protein powder will do fine.

You don't need to stretch any further unless you are really serious about your fitness goals and want to increase your progress; add them individually for 4+ week periods to monitor your results and actually see if they're benefiting your training regime.
  • mal 6 Apr 2013 13:35:39 21,930 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like I've outgrown my Lidl KBs already. They've done me well, and daily use has left my arms in better nick than they've been for a while, but the size of them, being sand-filled fellers, meant I was constantly clonking my shoulders when doing a clean, and I'm not sure I'm getting the full range in when doing an standing press cos you have to start with the fat base resting on your shoulder.

So today I got myself down to SportsDirect and picked up a couple of Lonsdale cast iron KBs, which are absolutely tiny in comparison. Even the 9kg one is half the size of my 5kg Lidl ones. Much more fit for purpose.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MrDigital 9 Apr 2013 16:00:36 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rant and then a question.

Why they hell are protein shakes so expensive? I get that for £20 you can get a fairly large tub, but it's ultimately just a power containing a large percentage of protein. I know it shouldn't be cheap, considering it might be a slightly complicated process to create it, but it seems really overpriced :(

Now the question, can anyone recommend any good protein shakes? :p

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Concrete 9 Apr 2013 16:11:33 553 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As has already been mentioned, Reflex off Amazon is very reasonable, almost finished a tub of the choc mint flavour and not sick of it yet which is a good sign.
  • Pike 10 Apr 2013 12:03:46 13,431 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    Rant and then a question.

Why they hell are protein shakes so expensive? I get that for £20 you can get a fairly large tub, but it's ultimately just a power containing a large percentage of protein. I know it shouldn't be cheap, considering it might be a slightly complicated process to create it, but it seems really overpriced :(

Now the question, can anyone recommend any good protein shakes? :p
    Protein powder is cheap. It is easily the cheapest source of protein you'll find, together with eggs, quark and milk.
  • Psychotext 10 Apr 2013 12:17:40 52,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye. Protein from meats and fish is considerably more expensive when you calculate out the grams per kg.

MyProtein is pretty damn cheap, just go by the user reviews for the good stuff on there. Aside from them, and as already mentioned, Reflex is pretty good.
  • Megapocalypse 13 Apr 2013 17:34:52 5,228 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got bored of shakes so cooked up some brotien flapjacks. :D

• thenastypasty 19 Apr 2013 07:24:59 5,178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought I'd mix up my cardio a bit by doing HIIT hill sprints this morning before work, after 20 minutes I was nearly dying. Definitely going to mix them in more often now :)
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 19 Apr 2013 08:33:16 7,386 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, hill sprints are a killer. Love them!
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Apr 2013 19:07:00 13,613 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wish I had a hill nearby.
  • mcmonkeyplc 22 Apr 2013 13:05:14 38,862 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've lost quite a lot of weight recently. Well ok it's not that much, it's about 2kg but I have no idea how this happened.

I hadn't been to the gym in about a month due to house moving crap but when I weighed myself last week I was 65.7kg!

I've since returned to my normal schedule...when I looked in the mirror at the gym on Saturday I looked like a malnourished person!

I have since begun an eating spree.

Just thought I'd share.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• elephantjuice 24 Apr 2013 12:37:18 553 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hi Chaps,

Iíll try and keep this short. Iíve typically been a fairly active person throughout my life but am in something of an Ďexercise rutí at the moment. At various stages Iíve played squash, running and had several gym memberships. I donít do any of that now Ė I found squash to be too competitive (sore loser) and was expensive, I find running painfully boring and I wasnít impressed with the only relatively decent value gym nearby.

Now that the weatherís improving Iíll be cycling to and from work most days (itís only 5/6 miles there and back) but I want to do more as itís quite flat, meaning itís a fairly easy journey.

The solution as I see it, is an exercise bike at home. We have a spare room that doesnít really get used much so it could go in there and thereís a TV in there with a Wii which I reckon would help a lot in terms of distracting from the monotony and has the added benefit of some quality alone time.

Is there any reason an exercise bike would be a bad idea? Iíve looked around and I could just about stretch as far as a York Active 120 Bike which goes for around £200.
  • Psychotext 24 Apr 2013 12:47:15 52,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could get a turbo trainer instead of an exercise bike, though that works better if your workout space is somewhere you would normally store your bike (like a garage for example).
  • elephantjuice 24 Apr 2013 12:48:38 553 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Would that work with just a bog standard mountain bike?
  • Trane 24 Apr 2013 12:50:34 4,049 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, turbo trainer seems the obvious option.
  • Psychotext 24 Apr 2013 12:53:00 52,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only problem with a mountain bike is that you've likely got knobbly tires on it, and they don't work well with turbo trainers. I use a mountain bike on mine, but it's got a trainer tyre on it and you don't really want to be swapping it in and out if your bike gets regular outside use.
  • elephantjuice 24 Apr 2013 12:59:28 553 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's the other thing I was going to ask. If it's a faff to setup and dismantle then I can see that becoming a bit of a pain considering I'll need to be taking it to work most days.

Aside from the price are there any other disadvantages of the exercise bike?
  • Page

of 256 First / Last