Exercise advice and weight loss Page 227

• Page

of 327 First / Last

• THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 09:57:08 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    I wouldn't dream of doing heavy bench press or squats without a spotter these days. A powercage can of course be set up to avoid serious problems though.
    I was hoping that the power rack i was interested in would solve that problem for me. I am guessing that if you put the long poles in so they are level with your chest, and then the small ones in higher with the bar on, you can't crush yourself. Although i guess that means you cant bring the weight all the way down which i dont like the sound of either.

Unless theres a cleverer way of doing it?
  • 2scoops 4 Mar 2013 09:59:28 131 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buy a powercage? Real men build their own powercage!

like this one

Edited by 2scoops at 09:59:42 04-03-2013
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 10:00:04 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not a real man, I'm a girly man.
  • sport 4 Mar 2013 10:01:46 12,811 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just get your wives to spot you!
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 10:03:26 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be completely honest, if I wasn't interested in lifting as a sport - I would not even bother with conventional bench press.

It's so easy to cause yourself shoulder problems if you don't have good form. I would recommend utilising dumbell chest press and incline bench press, incline is a lot easier to set up safely in a cage too, you can just offload the bar in front of you with the safety bars set a few inches below your chest.
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 10:03:34 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funnily enough, my missus can deadlift more than most blokes. :D

(Amazon woman)
  • Vortex808 4 Mar 2013 10:03:54 7,580 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Powercage? WTF is this? Have I been away from the gym that long?

Is it something along the lines of a smith machine?
  • 2scoops 4 Mar 2013 10:04:33 131 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wives? how many has he got?
  • THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 10:05:28 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tend to alternate, 6 months of incline barbell + flat dumbell press and 6 months of incline dumbell + flat bench press.

if i give up flat bench i'll never reach my 100kg goal :-(

oh, and my flat bench technique is reasonably good even if i do say so myself

Edited by THFourteen at 10:05:56 04-03-2013
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 10:06:49 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Powercage? WTF is this? Have I been away from the gym that long?

Is it something along the lines of a smith machine?
    The link above gives you a pretty good idea. It's not a machine, it's just a set of supports.
  • sport 4 Mar 2013 10:06:58 12,811 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

(Amazon woman)
    ;-P
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 10:09:08 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who on earth is that?
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 10:09:22 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I tend to alternate, 6 months of incline barbell + flat dumbell press and 6 months of incline dumbell + flat bench press.

if i give up flat bench i'll never reach my 100kg goal :-(

oh, and my flat bench technique is reasonably good even if i do say so myself
    Fair enough, learn to bench with a slight arch then, make sure your elbows are tucked. If you use an arch your chest is higher up and means a higher factor of safety when relying on safety bars, set the safety bars just above neck level and you should be fine.
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 10:11:43 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

(Amazon woman)
  • sport 4 Mar 2013 10:12:05 12,811 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Who on earth is that?
    You'd never believe it if I told you.
  • Rodney 4 Mar 2013 10:15:31 1,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    To be completely honest, if I wasn't interested in lifting as a sport - I would not even bother with conventional bench press.

It's so easy to cause yourself shoulder problems if you don't have good form. I would recommend utilising dumbell chest press and incline bench press, incline is a lot easier to set up safely in a cage too, you can just offload the bar in front of you with the safety bars set a few inches below your chest.
    Im not a fan of bench either. I hadnt done bench press for about two years (mainly necause I was training at home on my own) until recently. I just did weighted dips, ring dips, kettlebell presses and press ups. I could still bench 80kg fairly easily when I started again. Bench is over rated.
  • Rodney 4 Mar 2013 10:28:56 1,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    I wouldn't dream of doing heavy bench press or squats without a spotter these days. A powercage can of course be set up to avoid serious problems though.
    Bench, yeah, but squats? Ive seen some heavy squatters but never seen anyone fail a rep.(it normally be muscled up) and there's not much a spotter could do any way. Then again again, I think mostly training on my own has made me err on the conservative side when estimating whst I can lift.

I saw a failed squat once. Someone from my university powerlifting club  dumped the bar from his back at a meet but didnt quite let go in time and sustain compound fractures to both wrists. Don't do that! It is poor technique.
  • THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 10:32:19 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Fair enough, learn to bench with a slight arch then, make sure your elbows are tucked. If you use an arch your chest is higher up and means a higher factor of safety when relying on safety bars, set the safety bars just above neck level and you should be fine.
    will try the arch

tucked elbows?
  • Benno 4 Mar 2013 10:33:38 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    closer to the body, as opposed to flayed out at the sides
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 10:37:11 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So you think you can bench? Part 1

7 parts in total IIRC, maybe not all relevant for you, but you can glean some good tips from there.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Mar 2013 10:39:01 15,400 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    closer to the body, as oppos
    ed to flayed out at the sides
    Not to close though, or it will turn into a triceps press...which is also a great move,but for the tries of course.

Speaking of built/Amazonian women. I used to manage a gym owned by Andrulla Blanchette and Ian Dowe!

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 10:41:26 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh i see, so a slightly narrower grip than normal?

I do tricep press sometimes too, thats a good exercise, although it can be slightly unstable with a heavy weight!

will have a read of that link, thanks Trane
  • Rodney 4 Mar 2013 10:41:30 1,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    will try the arch

tucked elbows?
    Arching you bag is better for drive as well and creates a more stable base. Flat DB is a safer alternative I think. The weight travels in a less fixed plain and you can dump the weights ao less need for a spotter. It carrys over well to bench press strength as well in my experience.
  • Benno 4 Mar 2013 11:00:59 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love the flat dumbell press, but I started finding it too hard to get into position - its a really awkward maneuver to do
  • Trane 4 Mar 2013 11:08:26 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The heavier you get, yeah - the more awkward it becomes. Again I use spotters to hand me the weights, I'm up on the 60kg bells now for a set of 8 - I'd have a nightmare on my own.

Ronnie Coleman

He manages to get in position by sort of flicking them up off his knees, takes hell of an effort to stabilise before starting the press though.

I' also recommend a slight angle for comfort (i.e.) point the handles towards eye level, not quite 45 degrees, takes stress off the shoulder.

Edited by Trane at 11:09:50 04-03-2013
  • Benno 4 Mar 2013 11:14:15 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I was doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

But it started getting too hard to stabalise!

I should just ask someone to spot shouldn't I...
  • Benno 4 Mar 2013 11:14:45 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I once almost missed the bench when I swung backwards, felt like a right gym noob!
  • THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 11:21:10 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah i stand up, put the weights on my knees, sit down and then push up with my knees whilst i lean backwards to get the weights in position. Only lifting about 38kg though, cant imagine doing it with 60+

i did see a link somewhere to some sort of hook and chain based system which you can use with a power rack so that the dumbells start off suspended, so you can easily get going.
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2013 11:23:41 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Ronnie Coleman
    I like the way he finishes. lol

Edited by Psychotext at 11:23:52 04-03-2013
  • Benno 4 Mar 2013 20:10:32 10,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

i did see a link somewhere to some sort of hook and chain based system which you can use with a power rack so that the dumbells start off suspended, so you can easily get going.
    yeah same! I would definitely invest in such wares if i was setting up a home gym
  • Page

of 327 First / Last