Exercise advice and weight loss Page 223

• Page

of 307 First / Last

• Psychotext 12 Feb 2013 13:17:58 53,947 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think mine should be here tomorrow. Am going to roll around on it like a skinny guy on a fat bird.
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2013 13:18:14 53,947 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...and that's how you start a new page, apparently. :D
  • sport 12 Feb 2013 13:21:22 12,694 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice one mate. Search for "foam rolling exercises" on youtube to get a whole bunch. The IT band is still the killer for me - ouch!
  • fletch7100 12 Feb 2013 13:26:19 7,224 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    2nd here for the IT Band, always nice and pleasant feeling working that area :)
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2013 13:35:27 7,073 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Nice one mate. Search for "foam rolling exercises" on youtube to get a whole bunch. The IT band is still the killer for me - ouch!
    I did that first. You tube is a gift for things like that and kettle bell exercise ideas.

My ITB is most of the reason I got one after you folks suggested it. I have had recurring issues for years when running. Been ok for a couple of years, until recently, when I was out with an illness. Once I got back running I had a twinge or two, so am aiming to kick it into touch with this and the rowing to keep the knee strengthened.

Fingers crossed.

I may trial PT's rolling technique too later. ;-)
  • fletch7100 13 Feb 2013 13:09:25 7,224 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A good session almost turned into a nightmare. The muscle I injured back in November decided today to have a slight twinge as I lowered a weight to the ground. Halfway through lowering and I was thinking oh shit not again :)

Stopped everything, was good as I was at the end of the session. Stretching and foam roller hopefully have done the trick as I haven't felt any discomfort since. Rest day tomorrow I reckon
  • Trane 13 Feb 2013 13:49:27 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very easy to lose concentration on the eccentric part of a lift and cause yourself a problem. I've seen people switch off and relax at the top of a deadlift, and hurt themselves not putting the bar down correctly. Take care dude!
  • fletch7100 13 Feb 2013 14:16:03 7,224 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Trane cheers buddy

Yeah I was halfway lowering the weight to the floor after a clean and press set when I just felt the muscle twitch. Was lowering the weight same way as always. This time the old injury popped up its head and said hello :)

Make matters worse it was a failed set anyway, manage to press the weight for 2 strict reps, couldn't do the rest and push pressed them instead.

I just put it down to being distracted by some fool who kept dropping weights after every set. More like throwing down the weights. Even when he was doing warm up RDLs with just the bar he was dropping the bar to the floor from waist height. Probably the hey everyone look at me attention grabber
  • Trane 13 Feb 2013 15:31:55 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ugh, those guys. Throw them off a cliff with the vest & gloves brigade.
  • Zomoniac 13 Feb 2013 15:37:19 7,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's wrong with gloves? If I use a pull-up bar or rowing machine without them my hands blister to buggery. If I'm throwing around a kettlebell I use wrist straps too. Nothing to do with appearance (I do most of my workouts at home anyway, nobody to see them), it just helps a lot.
  • Trane 13 Feb 2013 15:42:29 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not gonna go into this, tried too many times and never seem to get my point across properly. I used to get the occasional blister/skin tear, after a while your hands build up a resistance.
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 15:48:50 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I haven't missed one workout since christmas and have been progressing nicely and then I woke up this morning feeling like shit. I'm getting sick which probably means taking a week off. And the wait was justing to get heavier. Very frustrating.

What's other people's experience of exercising while being ill? Im never sure if it is good or bad
    I'm pretty lucky that I hardly ever seem to get ill, even with two young kids in the house, but my general rule is if the illness is above the neck, i.e. cold etc, I'll still train, below the neck and I'll rest until symptoms have gone. You're really not doing yourself any favours if you're sick. So many people are so addicted to working out they don't listen to their bodies enough.
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 15:51:33 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Good work everyone.

I'm trying to get down to 90kgs and failing horribly. Lost an inch off my waist in the last 3 and-a-bit weeks, but only lost 0.5kg's.

Need to stop doing so many exercises in the hypertrophy rep range!
    Trane, are you eating enough? I was at a seminar last night given by a top sports physiologist and he talked alot about weight loss. (It was mainly for endurance cyclists and people who race). Everyone in the room was interested in weight loss and a couple of people admitted their weight loss had stopped, even though they were vastly reducing their calorie intake. If you drop it too much your body stops losing weight.

Just a thought.
  • Psychotext 13 Feb 2013 15:57:14 53,947 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    What's wrong with gloves?
    Basically you'll eventually get stronger without them... but I refuse to lift without them as I quite like my hands as they are and don't want to "toughen them" (wreck them).

Horses for courses. I'm not really a numbers person so I'm not going to lose any sleep over only doing 150kg when I could potentially do 165kg.
  • Trane 13 Feb 2013 16:09:23 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Good work everyone.

I'm trying to get down to 90kgs and failing horribly. Lost an inch off my waist in the last 3 and-a-bit weeks, but only lost 0.5kg's.

Trane, are you eating enough? I was at a seminar last night given by a top sports physiologist and he talked alot about weight loss. (It was mainly for endurance cyclists and people who race). Everyone in the room was interested in weight loss and a couple of people admitted their weight loss had stopped, even though they were vastly reducing their calorie intake. If you drop it too much your body stops losing weight.

Just a thought.
    Hm, it's possible I guess. I tend to have 3 sizeable meals for breakfast/lunch/dinner, mid afternoon snack, and supper time snack. My protein intake is around 180-200G, carbs around 250G on a training day and fats around 50-60, non training days I dial back the carbs a bit.

In truth I just think I need to be doing more cardio.
  • sport 13 Feb 2013 16:22:34 12,694 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Basically you'll eventually get stronger without them... but I refuse to lift without them as I quite like my hands as they are and don't want to "toughen them" (wreck them).

Horses for courses. I'm not really a numbers person so I'm not going to lose any sleep over only doing 150kg when I could potentially do 165kg.
    I just managed to break 150kg on my curls too. Nice one Psycho!
  • smoothpete 13 Feb 2013 16:36:13 31,495 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's wrong with vests? If I don't get some ventilation to my torso then I will severely overheat
  • sport 13 Feb 2013 16:38:30 12,694 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You guys wear tops?!?!?!
  • fletch7100 13 Feb 2013 16:40:18 7,224 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:

I just managed to break 150kg on my curls too. Nice one Psycho!
    Better be talking about wrist curls
  • Trane 13 Feb 2013 16:50:29 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    What's wrong with vests? If I don't get some ventilation to my torso then I will severely overheat
    Hygiene mostly. They seem to be worn by either the massive bodybuilders who spend 90% of their time looking in the mirror, or the guys who weigh about 8 stone (the latter also tend to wear gloves ;)

Please don't try to tell you that having your upper arms loosely covered suddenly turns your torso into some sort of blast furnace.

Edited by Trane at 16:51:03 13-02-2013
  • sport 13 Feb 2013 16:52:43 12,694 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You mirin me, brah?
  • Benno 13 Feb 2013 17:01:52 9,843 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Good work everyone.

Just a thought.
    That just sounds wrong. How can eating more lead to faster weight loss?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051
  • smoothpete 13 Feb 2013 17:02:29 31,495 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nah not exactly, it's more so that I get some air flow around there. Thing is, if I'm doing like 40 minutes straight cardio then yeah I get very very hot
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 17:17:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Good work everyone.

Just a thought.
    Hm, it's possible I guess. I tend to have 3 sizeable meals for breakfast/lunch/dinner, mid afternoon snack, and supper time snack. My protein intake is around 180-200G, carbs around 250G on a training day and fats around 50-60, non training days I dial back the carbs a bit.

In truth I just think I need to be doing more cardio.
    And you know you can only really absorb around 30-40g protein per serving, the rest will be useless and stored elsewhere. Your daily nutrient intake will be based on your weight and age, and how many hours a week you train.

Edited by pistol at 17:18:36 13-02-2013
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 17:19:45 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Good work everyone.

Just a thought.
    That just sounds wrong. How can eating more lead to faster weight loss?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051
    I'm talking about people who eat way less than they should in order to lose weight fast. Interestingly there was a lot of discussion at the seminar I went to last night about websites all over the place quoting mis information.

Case last night was about a semi-pro road cyclist who is coached by the guy giving the talk (also coaches me sometimes) and she was struggling to lose weight. Turned out she'd been under-eating and not taking on anywhere near enough calories for her needs.

Edited by pistol at 17:23:15 13-02-2013
  • Psychotext 13 Feb 2013 17:24:15 53,947 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is a related study which is quite interesting: http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode

My problem is that I tend to start losing muscle faster than fat at certain calorie levels... which is bastard annoying.
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 17:27:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    This is a related study which is quite interesting: http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode

My problem is that I tend to start losing muscle faster than fat at certain calorie levels... which is bastard annoying.
    That tells me you are possibly under eating and your body is digging into your muscle mass for energy. And it's not necessarily about daily calorie intake but nutrients intake. If you get it right, your fat % should drop but not muscle mass.

Edited by pistol at 17:28:21 13-02-2013

Edited by pistol at 17:29:21 13-02-2013
  • Psychotext 13 Feb 2013 17:29:39 53,947 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that was my point. It's getting the calorie level right which is hard, and I've noticed that certain types of exercise seem to make it more likely than others. That said, you will always lose some lean body mass at any meaningful deficit. It's basically impossible not to.

Thankfully though I've given up caring about hitting certain fat percentages now and am just trying to be generally healthy. :)

Edit - That aside, I didn't finish reading that link, it's more of a summary of other research than a study in itself. Had no idea it was a forum.

Edited by Psychotext at 17:32:11 13-02-2013
  • pistol 13 Feb 2013 17:49:46 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Yeah, that was my point. It's getting the calorie level right which is hard, and I've noticed that certain types of exercise seem to make it more likely than others. That said, you will always lose some lean body mass at any meaningful deficit. It's basically impossible not to.

Thankfully though I've given up caring about hitting certain fat percentages now and am just trying to be generally healthy. :)

Edit - That aside, I didn't finish reading that link, it's more of a summary of other research than a study in itself. Had no idea it was a forum.
    I'm only concentrating hard to reduce body fat % this year and next as I need to be as light as possible to get gold times in the Marmotte in France (July) and Maratona next year (Italy). My coach is scaring me at the moment as he reckons I could get to about 5 or 6% for this summer (I was at 11% end of Nov) and probably around 10 now. Wiggins is about 4% on grand tours.
  • craigy Staff 13 Feb 2013 18:30:23 7,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gloves and vests: I don't wear them because they look a little silly. I associate them with the show-offs at my local.

I saw a dudebro at the gym the other day who was wearing a tilted Yankee cap. Some people.
  • Page

of 307 First / Last