Exercise advice and weight loss Page 218

• Page

of 256 First / Last

• fletch7100 30 Jan 2013 16:05:37 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz

Well once your knees are better, you can try this

http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/leg-press-old-school-jack-lalanne.jpg
  • jablonski 30 Jan 2013 16:06:57 1,756 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz

Wouldn't the swimming be enough. Just reduce the weight the knee has to take until its better. Guess you have to reduce the amount of movement in the knee, swimming would be just fine, no weight be placed on the knee etc

Honestly I don't know just had a quick google search for runners knee now I'm acting like Quincy M.E.
    Quincy only helped dead people. Don't take any advice from Fletch :)
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 16:14:00 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Fats are ok and shouldn't be shyed away from, especially if you are training a lot. Just make sure you're getting the right sorts.
    It's a tracker bar... ask yourself deep down if you think it's the "right sort" of fat. :p
  • fletch7100 30 Jan 2013 16:23:24 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz

Wouldn't the swimming be enough. Just reduce the weight the knee has to take until its better. Guess you have to reduce the amount of movement in the knee, swimming would be just fine, no weight be placed on the knee etc

Honestly I don't know just had a quick google search for runners knee now I'm acting like Quincy M.E.
    Quincy only helped dead people. Don't take any advice from Fletch :)
    Helping living people is good for a change, it's like a new hobby
  • fletch7100 30 Jan 2013 16:24:25 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Fats are ok and shouldn't be shyed away from, especially if you are training a lot. Just make sure you're getting the right sorts.
    It's a tracker bar... ask yourself deep down if you think it's the "right sort" of fat. :p
    If in doubt you can't go wrong by deep frying it
  • fletch7100 1 Feb 2013 14:35:27 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good session today, decided to turn Fridays into more of strength endurance cardio session to end the week. So high rep sets, couple of supersets mixed in with cross trainer between workouts and 2 sets of a complex routine at the end. Bloody good all body end of week session. Beast to the cardio system as well.
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2013 14:39:25 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel tired just thinking about it.
  • THFourteen 1 Feb 2013 14:51:08 31,835 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Swapped my first lunch wrap for a salad instead so I could have a bag of maltesers. Needed it today.

Managed an extra squat last night so 7 whole reps, wow!

Have to get my third session in after work today, feeling quite tired after this week tbh, could do with going home and passing out instead.
  • fletch7100 1 Feb 2013 14:51:27 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finished off the session with rearranging majority of the dumbells which were all over the weights area. Gym staff there are terrible for enforcing that law, is major pet hate of mine. Then again it's nice way to end the session, tired out of breath then you are sorting the dumbells in correct order on the rack. Start with heaviest then work your way down across the racks.
  • fletch7100 1 Feb 2013 15:19:15 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @THFourteen

@THFourteen

Good work, best that your efforts increase with small continuous amounts regularly. Plenty of people in my gym who I swear are on the same weights they were using in November. Do get strange looks at the gym if you do a superset or anything above that. My complex routine ended with Good Mornings, heard a girl say "I love those exercises" So I was thinking either she loves the exercise or she's looking at me sticking my butt back on every rep, is she thinking my bum looks big ? Plus I was training to control a fart and not have heart attack at the same time :)
  • mal 1 Feb 2013 18:41:14 22,006 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://sciencenordic.com/researchers-rapid-weight-loss-best

Pretty much common sense really - you're more likely to stick to losing weight if your results at first weigh in don't depend on whether you've just taken a dump or not. But it's interesting that there's actual evidence that the famous 'bounce' effect, assuming it does exist, doesn't put people off as much as not seeing any decent results quickly does.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• heyyo 1 Feb 2013 19:52:25 14,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you don't lose significant amount of weight at first weigh in then you're doing it wrong anyway.

Metabolism is high, ie. your body is inefficient at converting food to energy so the fat should/will vanish quickly. It's only after weeks of dieting your metabolism slows, body becomes efficient at converting food to energy or you'll die quicker. Also reduced fat mass to maintain means you don't need as many calories.
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2013 20:42:10 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fat costs next to nothing to maintain. However, carrying it around costs you a little more.

In real terms though the difference is negligible.
  • heyyo 1 Feb 2013 20:59:44 14,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fat mass raises your metabolism because your body has to expend more energy heating you up to 37C so less fat results in you needing less calories - that's what I meant. Not that the fat itself is actively burning up calories like muscle tissue does.
  • Benno 1 Feb 2013 21:24:46 9,403 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like broscience
  • heyyo 1 Feb 2013 21:34:39 14,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why else would obese people need more calories to maintain their weight?
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2013 22:15:14 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because carrying around kg of weight is fucking hard work, no matter if you do it in the gym or in the real world. :p

Some obese fuckers are ridiculously strong.
  • mal 1 Feb 2013 22:22:50 22,006 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be honest, compared to first deciding to lose weight, I now weigh slightly more than I did then. I'm definitely less fat than I was then though, just a bit more meaty now.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• heyyo 1 Feb 2013 22:25:31 14,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But what about those who can't get out of bed for being so damn fat... why need 33,000 calories a day to maintain their state? ^____^
  • Psychotext 1 Feb 2013 23:29:15 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hungry motherfuckers? \o/
  • smoothpete 6 Feb 2013 09:08:06 31,039 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yesterday I did a 2k row on resistance 6 in 6:55, which is 5 seconds quicker than my previous best. It was really quite difficult. That's average 1:43.7 per 500m.

/pats self on back
  • mikeck 6 Feb 2013 09:52:42 1,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Loving MyFitnessPal, this tracking food lark really helps with my weight loss.

My year of inactivity (with lots of eating and drinking what I liked) since getting married caused me to gain a stone (was already half a stone or so over my ideal weight anyway). In the past nine days I have lost 8lbs thanks to the restriction to 1220 calories a day.

It's actually easy to maintain because now I'm so aware of what is in everything, and being really careful with what I eat whilst ensuring I'm not starving myself or feeling hungry all day.

Now that exercise is also viewed as buying back calories, I'm motivated again.

Also, my new job starts in two weeks and I'll be working in central London again, and very conveniently I will be working next to a boxing gym. Meaning for the first time in two and a half years I can start boxing training and sparring again. I have never been as fit as I was when boxing, so I can't wait to get back into a proper regime again.

(Also, boxing is incredibly good for my state of mind; it makes me a much calmer person, gets my pent up aggression out, and all in a controlled and safe manner)
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2013 09:55:17 31,835 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    had a bad day yesterday, stuffed face for no apparent reason other than was feeling run down and work was tough.

back on it today, although got a pub quiz tonight, and a dinner out tomorrow (curry) so probably end up drinking too many beers :-(

also annoying gym session this morning where all the pull up bars were being used so i had to improvise and kept banging my knee against the bit i was improvising on.

now my knees hurt!
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2013 11:00:47 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah... I don't mean to be cruel but losing 8lbs in a week is utterly retarded unless you're something like 10 stone overweight. It's completely unsustainable.

Dial it back a bit or you're going to be in for a whole world of hurt in a few weeks.
  • kickerconspiracy 6 Feb 2013 11:10:02 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    8lbs a week?

Welcome to stretch marks.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 6 Feb 2013 11:12:25 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only stretch marks I've got are on my biceps! Amirite bros?
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2013 11:14:35 52,819 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have them on my stomach. Huge ones like I was clawed by a tiger.

Thanks yoyo dieting. :(
  • fletch7100 6 Feb 2013 11:22:08 6,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Calorie counting what's that :) I have never planned my lifestyle by making a calorie total, I just cut out the bad foods that I used to be having all the time. Just more sensible with my eating habits, just have smaller pudding every evening after dinner. Got to have my sweet fix every day and the pudding is mine. Losing body fat all over , lower gut and man boobs are places where my body fat puts up the highest resistance in their fight back against my training. Bodyfat is going down, weight is going up

As long as I'm making steady progress in all areas I'm happy. No mad rush to be at a mystical target weight

@THFourteen I know what you mean, other week was tired and messed up a power clean, smash the bar against my collarbones and had prefect bruises on each side.
  • mikeck 6 Feb 2013 11:30:45 1,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've done it before when trying to get with the Dukan plan, and that was fucking stupid and unsustainable certainly. Never again (that weight went back on).

This is just me managing my calorie intake and exercising more...the weight loss will slow down now anyway as I'm not too far from my target goal. I know it seems like an extreme, but I need something this noticeable to kick my ass into gear.

Also, I'm pretty fucking broad for the squat chap I am, so the weight is spread rather than all sitting in one area. Stretchmarks are not something I'm concerned about at all. I don't yo-yo with my weight really, just had a couple of years of being lazier than usual.

I also want to point out that we're not talking about several stone of overweight, just enough for me to notice and have the desire to get back to my leaner years.
  • kickerconspiracy 6 Feb 2013 11:31:58 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext

I'm caked in them too for the same reason.

At least I have the fact that I'm fat and balding to distract from them.
  • Page

of 256 First / Last