Exercise advice and weight loss Page 217

• Page

of 298 First / Last

• heyyo 30 Jan 2013 11:13:46 14,374 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    I'm not really that overweight, just interested in getting fit and what is best to eat to achieve certain goals etc - I don't want to look like Jesse Ventura which is what this thread seems to be about!
    The nutrition section in mags will do that for you perfectly then

Edited by heyyo at 11:14:41 30-01-2013
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 11:13:53 53,801 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it is. You can be full on athlete level fit and still be fat.

What do you actually want? You want to be pretty don't you? You don't care about your cardiovascular fitness! Admit it! Before you know it it'll be curlz for the gurlz, 30,000 situps and blasting some reps... or, uhh... something.

Edited by Psychotext at 11:16:30 30-01-2013
  • RunningMan 30 Jan 2013 11:19:27 2,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sport might be worth looking at leangains. I've also been doing 5:2 since last year. Lost of load of fat and inches off the waist.
  • craigy Staff 30 Jan 2013 11:19:29 7,503 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    Is there a simpler version of this thread?

You know, like a "eat this food for lunch", or "try and jog this far today" kind of exercise and weight loss advice.

A little less dudebro, reps and squats etc?
    Here's a very simple routine I've followed over the last year. It's gotten me good results.

- Accept that exercise is now part of your daily routine. Don't apologise for it or shy away from it.

- Alternate between "running days" and "gym days". Monday I run, Tuesday I gym, Wednesdays I run, etc. Saturdays are your day off. If you feel like you've injured yourself, take a few days off.

- Running days: run for at least half an hour. If you can't do half an hour, work your way up slowly until you can.

- Gym days: do cardio as well as weights at every session. Don't be one of those dudes who lifts but can't walk up a flight of stairs without passing out.

- Gym days, cardio: at least half an hour of cardio every time you go to the gym. I split it up and do 20 on the bike, 20 on the rower. Make sure you're sweating.

- Gym days, weights: lift whatever you feel like. It's intimidating at first with all the dudebros who glare at you, but ignore them. I don't follow a "today is back day, tomorrow is legs day" routine. I just lift weights that are heavy for me in whatever order I feel like. Just make sure they are heavy enough to cause you to work hard.

- Eating: Stop drinking fizzy drinks through the day. Also no more chocolate bars as an afternoon snack. If I'm hungry at work I eat a tracker bar or a little box of raisins. Cut down on carbs a touch at dinner time. It's easy: just put a bit less rice/pasta on your plate. Replace the carb bulk with vegetables. I eat whatever I want on Tuesdays (pizza night!), and at the weekend. That means pastries for breakfast, giant curries, beer, etc.

That's my little bit of advice. It's allowed me to lose over two and a half stone in a year, plus I've put a fair bit of muscle onto my frame. I also have acquired a six pack.
  • RunningMan 30 Jan 2013 11:19:32 2,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • sport 30 Jan 2013 11:20:41 12,538 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    That's my little bit of advice. It's allowed me to lose over two and a half stone in a year, plus I've put a fair bit of muscle onto my frame. I also have acquired a six pack.
    You cannot use the S word without pics!
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 11:21:31 53,801 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One note on that post... Tracker bars are pretty far from healthy. Tasty though! But lots of fat and sugar.

Wont matter if you're not eating them excessively though.
  • craigy Staff 30 Jan 2013 11:24:33 7,503 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They maybe aren't the best choice, but they seem to work for me as a pre-gym snack. I normally scoff one at 4pm, and hit the gym at 5. Definitely helps me feel less fatigued and push a bit harder than going in without eating.
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 11:25:20 53,801 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, they'll fill a hole for sure. I've actually tried finding healthier versions but they all tasted like cardboard.

I use Graze.com for my snacks now.
  • Trane 30 Jan 2013 11:26:27 4,050 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sensible advice craigy.

Regarding any exercise though, I'd say try and make it measurable. If you run 5k, run 5.1k next time, same goes for weights, lift 30kg for 4 sets of 8 reps? next week 4 sets with 9 reps, then 4 sets with 10 reps, then up the weight and return to 8 reps, rinse and repeat. It is better to have some sort of rough plan on what you do each time you visit the gym too, just to ensure your training is balanced.
  • sport 30 Jan 2013 11:28:20 12,538 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Sensible advice craigy.

Regarding any exercise though, I'd say try and make it measurable. If you run 5k, run 5.1k next time, same goes for weights, lift 30kg for 4 sets of 8 reps? next week 4 sets with 9 reps, then 4 sets with 10 reps, then up the weight and return to 8 reps, rinse and repeat. It is better to have some sort of rough plan on what you do each time you visit the gym too, just to ensure your training is balanced.
    Yeah, I think it helps to have goals in certain aspects of your regime. Something measurable to aim for as opposed to something generic like "get toned".
  • fletch7100 30 Jan 2013 11:30:22 6,934 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mix in cardio with weights such as circuit training or complex routines. I'm not too bothered about losing too much weight. Fitness has improved across the board, strength, fitness times on rower, cross trainer, bit of cross country running every now and again. Training started beginning of December, with the weights work the major muscle groups, just the bar for form as you learn all the exercises, then increase the weight over time letting your body adjust to the new stress you are putting on it

Been down that road before with getting the 6 pack. Had one years ago but the work to keep that low body fat count down was too much. Good is good enough for me these days. Anyway my recent dates the women have preferred my love handles to a six pack so go figure :)
  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 11:31:54 32,857 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:

- Gym days: do cardio as well as weights at every session. Don't be one of those dudes who lifts but can't walk up a flight of stairs without passing out.
    Hey screw you! Us guys are cool.

Your routine basically sounds like you are doing a lot of cardio and high rep work which is cool as it allows you to burn lots of calories and eat what you want three days a week.

I couldn't face doing six days of cardio a week, so I have to compensate by not eating as much as I want, calorie counting every bit of food into myfitnesspal and keeping at 1800kcal a day.

Slow progress but feel a little slimmer after 4 weeks. 6 weeks was meant to be my cutoff when I would go back to eating a bit more, but I may be stuck for 12 weeks tbh
  • jablonski 30 Jan 2013 11:48:08 3,104 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Here's a very simple routine I've followed over the last year. It's gotten me good results.
    Thanks for that Craigy.
    I've started jogging 5k a day weekdays, which is having some affect.
    I generally don't snack - not a fan of chocolates or crisps - but I do tend to often blow out on the weekend and have a KFC or something.
    My main problem is probably beer.
    I'm getting on top of that, but for example this weekend I went to a pub and then a club and necked loads of beers. It happens often. A week is a long time not to be out socially at least one of those nights.

RE: Gym. Despite living quite close in to central London, there is not a gym within realistic daily walking distance of me!
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 11:50:22 53,801 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Less calories in spirits. Drink them instead!

(Don't drink an equivalent amount... that would be silly!)
  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 12:08:42 32,857 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I am on the vodka and diet cokes or vodka lime and sodas. Makes a massive difference, also you feel much less bloated.

It takes a while for all your friends to get used to it and stop abusing you though.

I still drink beer at the footy, seems wrong not to
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 12:16:49 53,801 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Morgan's Spiced and coke zero for me. Delicious.
  • sport 30 Jan 2013 12:17:07 12,538 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hardly drink, ever. I don't miss it in the slightest. I've always suffered the next day and hate that feeling with a passion. So now I'll have a bottle, then switch to juice or a non-alcoholic beer (Becks Blue isn't bad). Also helps that I normally drive everywhere so it's always my "get out" clause.
  • jablonski 30 Jan 2013 12:20:22 3,104 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't get hangovers. So there is no circuit breaker for me. I just keep going.

Sundays I get up and play football at 10am fresh as a daisy, even after 6 hours of drinking and clubbing and going to bed at 3.30am.

I'm in my mid-thirties too.
    Sounds like a blessing, but as we all know from the Star Wars prequels, when there is nothing telling you "no, don't do that", it can never end well (weight, blood pressure etc).
  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 12:23:19 32,857 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmm I always suffer the next day. Which is what puts me off drinking. But I really do think social nights are improved with booze. It's sad that I feel that is the case but I do.

Last night I was out with a couple of mates, ended up there till about 11.30 and had about 7 drinks and the conversation at the end descended into utter rubbish, but I enjoyed it.

Had a similar night a few weeks ago, where I wasn't drinking, it wasn't quite the same, the conversation descended and I left about 10 to get to bed at a sensible time for work.

Sure I felt better the day after than I do today, but the evening was much more fun.
  • fletch7100 30 Jan 2013 12:52:51 6,934 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @jablonski

Think circuit training and complex routines will be great for you from the weight side of training, as they will carryover to you playing football. There are some great program's out there. All help with endurance primarily help burn through those extra pounds on the love handles and offer strength increases. That and other football style fitness training is probably a good area for you to research.
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2013 15:24:18 23,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I've got runners knee :-( going to physio on sat but want to do some exercise tonight. Swimming is good but anything else?

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 15:40:39 32,857 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rowing or cross trainer?

Anything non impact should be ok I guess
  • pistol 30 Jan 2013 15:41:51 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    One note on that post... Tracker bars are pretty far from healthy. Tasty though! But lots of fat and sugar.

Wont matter if you're not eating them excessively though.
    Fats are ok and shouldn't be shyed away from, especially if you are training a lot. Just make sure you're getting the right sorts. Avoid marg at all costs...some butter is fine.
  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 15:42:42 32,857 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Peanut butter!
  • pistol 30 Jan 2013 15:45:27 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Peanut butter!
    OK in small doses and can be quite beneficial for an athlete's diet. I'll occasionally have it on a bagel before a long ride. I'm not advocating over-doing it but peanut butter can give you some of the necessary fats and proteins to help, especially with endurance sports. Same with Nutella.

Edited by pistol at 15:46:43 30-01-2013
  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 15:48:14 32,857 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And curls? They help with my curls too right?
  • fletch7100 30 Jan 2013 15:50:20 6,934 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz

Wouldn't the swimming be enough. Just reduce the weight the knee has to take until its better. Guess you have to reduce the amount of movement in the knee, swimming would be just fine, no weight be placed on the knee etc

Honestly I don't know just had a quick google search for runners knee now I'm acting like Quincy M.E.
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2013 15:52:25 23,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D haha swimming will be enough prob until it's better. Will do mental bench presses too!

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Vortex808 30 Jan 2013 15:57:16 6,940 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Rowing or cross trainer?

Anything non impact should be ok I guess
    Rowing may not be so good. Most of the power in each stroke is from the legs, but I have never rowed when I had knee pain. You could always give it a gentle go and see how it goes.

I use rowing to strengthen my knees, having had numerous Ilio-tibial band issues around the knee over numerous years. It seems to have worked well and certainly appears to have helped me avoid any problems for the last few years.
  • Page

of 298 First / Last