Exercise advice and weight loss Page 3

• Page

of 312 First / Last

• JayPee 19 Jul 2007 16:11:47 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I know - trust me - 4 months ago I could only do about 4 pull-ups in a row then I was stuffed.

But they offer great advice about how to get started eg. do jumping pullups, and don't start with full handstand push-ups - just put your feet up on a ledge so that your bodies in a L-shape and do them that way...

There's tons of advice and exercises and you don't need to be in a gym although owing a barbell and a few weights is advised
    I could do 5 pull-ups maybe 4 times, but 20 times!?

I could do maybe 1-2 handstand push-ups - but 21!? (I can do quite a lot of normal push-ups maybe 70-80 in one stretch on a good day)

You would need a pull-up bar too. Not something most people have.

I would recommend the following for a "gym away from the gym" kit:
    Exercise ball.
    Pair of light(ish) dumbells (5kg each)
    Workout matt.

I can do 90% of my gym stuff using just these (apart from cardio obv.)
  • Onny 19 Jul 2007 16:16:35 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Onny wrote:
    Last summer I went on a massive fitness regime to keep my mind off my absent girlfriend. I shed loads of weight and was in the best shape of my life. Since the end of August last year (when she returned) it's been a slow, gradual decline, and my belly is back with a vengeance.
    That sounds horribly familiar... my missus came back and ruined my routine too.

They say they like us looking good, but I think secretly they fatten us up so we can't get another woman. =D
    I made another critical mistake, too; I bought an expensive suit. Whenever I try to wear it now, I have to breathe in enormously. She finds it hilarious ;)

I'm looking through this site and there are a few terms which I'm unfamiliar with, can anyone help? they are:

"back extension"
    "dip"

Tar!
  • Deleted user 19 July 2007 16:20:00
    /shakes in fear about 200 press-ups/crunches every two days

I'm running every two days for half an hour, zat good? Then stretches for ten minutes 30 sit ups, 10 crunches and 30 press-ups (differentiating the width of my palms). I got a rowing machine for when the weather is bad too... wondering if I'm doing enough... (I'm quite slight)
  • sport 19 Jul 2007 16:20:52 12,758 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    I could do 5 pull-ups maybe 4 times, but 20 times!?

I could do maybe 1-2 handstand push-ups - but 21!? (I can do quite a lot of normal push-ups maybe 70-80 in one stretch on a good day)

You would need a pull-up bar too. Not something most people have.

I would recommend the following for a "gym away from the gym" kit:
    Exercise ball.
    Pair of light(ish) dumbells (5kg each)
    Workout matt.

I can do 90% of my gym stuff using just these (apart from cardio obv.)

but thats the attraction - the video today shows a guy doing a "GI Jane" (they give all their workouts names) - which involves doing 100 burpees to pullups - thats 100 burpees and 100 pullups in 1 non-stop session - if someone told me that a few months ago I would laugh them off as there's no way I could comprehend such a workout - but to see it in action changes my perceptions about what is physically possible and motivates me reach that goal...

...and in the process, build strength and endurance as well as shed the excess fat
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 16:23:02 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In terms of specific exercises. You really need to have like at least one or two actual sessions with someone who knows what they are doing, else the way you do the exercise (the "form") will be all wrong, and you could be doing more harm than good.

Good form with less weight exercises more muscles, better, than poor form with any weight. If you're unfamiliar with weight-lifting terminology it's a good indication that you need to get a bit of tutoring.

No amount of books/internet advise can help with getting exercise form correct. You need to be able to ask specific questions about how it should feel etc.
  • sport 19 Jul 2007 16:26:09 12,758 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    I'm looking through this site and there are a few terms which I'm unfamiliar with, can anyone help? they are:

"back extension"
    "dip"

Tar!

check out the exercises & demos section (link on the left of the homepage) for descriptions of those but more importantly check out the substitutions section in FAQ
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 16:26:25 54,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Quality is usually far better than quantity. Do 200 crunches and you'll just overtrain the muscles. Do 20 each of 5 different ab exercises and you'll work wonders.
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 16:26:40 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    I'm running every two days for half an hour, zat good? Then stretches for ten minutes 30 sit ups, 10 crunches and 30 press-ups (differentiating the width of my palms). I got a rowing machine for when the weather is bad too)
    Sounds pretty complete to me. Keep up the good work.
    Maybe do some leg-lifts (lie on your bag, legs together, lift your feet up about 1', then lower (not ll the way to ground) and repeat. Hands by your sides is ok. These excercise your lower abdominals (I know what I just said about form, but this one is hard to do wrong! :p).
  • Deleted user 19 July 2007 16:29:18
    Ooh, leg lifts. Remember those from taekwondo. I'll do that next time, thanks!

Anything I can do (other than rowing/press ups) to train my pectorals? Not massively. I'm thin enough as it is without wanting to look top heavy... (ew)
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 16:30:52 54,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    These excercise your lower abdominals (I know what I just said about form, but this one is hard to do wrong! :p).
    Just make sure you keep your head on the floor or you'll strain your neck and back.
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 16:31:16 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Elevated press-ups (works the pecks slightly differently) and obviously any kind of chest press.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2007 16:32:11
    Elevated is putting your feet on something higher, right?

Cheers, both of you. Noted on the safety tip too. ^_^
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 16:33:49 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    JayPee wrote:
    These excercise your lower abdominals (I know what I just said about form, but this one is hard to do wrong! :p).
    Just make sure you keep your head on the floor or you'll strain your neck and back.
    Hmm, I sometimes have my head off the floor, hmm, often in fact. Not had neck problems though.

I'm not a massive fan of 'sitting' on ones hands while doing this exercise though.

Also, you'll get better results by only doing small lifts - no need to go vertical at all (unless you want to exercise your legs more than your abs).
  • piratebrido 19 Jul 2007 16:35:26 123 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another for http://www.crossfit.com/

Great site. I do Judo, BJJ, MMA and the like, so I get quite a bit of conditioning from that, but crossfit has many great articles. I like start and stop methods of exercise as opposed to a rhythm (plus I hate jogging!).

I am a fan of tabata rounds. That 20 seconds of activity followed by 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds. Say for squats, you squat for 20 seconds, stop for 10 seconds, then squat for 20 seconds again, then rest again for 10, then start for 20...until you have completed this 8 times. In fact, here is a video from crossfit:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/sample2tabata.wmv

Can do it with any exercise. Squats, burpees, pushups, situps, crunches, pullups; just pick an exercise and go! You have to work all out during your 20 seconds though, no plodding along!
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 16:40:06 54,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    Hmm, I sometimes have my head off the floor, hmm, often in fact. Not had neck problems though.
    Not everyone will, but it's easy to put strain on your neck which doesn't need to be there. Obviously tensing the rest of your body doesn't help you focus on the right muscle groups either.

For lower abs I like that exercise and captain's chair (which can be done inventively without the special equipment).

Useful link: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm

btw... if you're training your gut, train your lower back as well (though you'll probably need a gym ball).
  • Onny 19 Jul 2007 16:40:33 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    piratebrido wrote:
    Great site. I do Judo, BJJ, MMA and the like, so I get quite a bit of conditioning from that, but crossfit has many great articles. I like start and stop methods of exercise as opposed to a rhythm (plus I hate jogging!).

Oh! Where do you train? I used to do MMA back when I lived in London, which is one of the main reasons I got so fit last summer. the warmup was excellent. Punishing, but excellent.

I used to do Interval runs, too; 30 seconds sprinting followed by 30 seconds jogging then 30 sprinting and so on for 10 minutes. It was an absolute killer, and almost had me vomiting a few times. \o/

EDIT: I wish there was a BJJ club near me in Kent. I miss it. ;_;

Edited by Onny at 16:41:21 19-07-2007
  • JayPee 19 Jul 2007 16:48:31 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Useful link: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm

btw... if you're training your gut, train your lower back as well (though you'll probably need a gym ball).
    Nice linky.

I'm all about core strength these days and havent tried a few of those.
  • Foregone-Reality 19 Jul 2007 16:48:37 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Congratulations on losing your first stone! That's a great achievement.

The way it works too is that for every 10lbs of fat you lose you gain a few pounds in muscle..Which explains your toned legs.

Double win!

• Sid-Nice 19 Jul 2007 17:20:56 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    Maybe a gaming forum aint the best place to ask for advice, but here I go (just kidding).

Earlier in the year I decided I wanted to lose a few stone, because my weight has always annoyed me. I started cycling to and from work and do that every day now, which means I cover about 80 miles per week on my bike. I've lost a stone so far, but the main thing I've noticed is a massive change in my legs. They are much trimmer and muscley.However, my belly and chest has hardly changed.

So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good exercise that would put more focus on my upper body.

One thing to bear in mind is that I hate gyms. Any exercise that I do would have to be outdoors or at home. I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount of money on any equipment required.

Has anyone here ever shed a significant amount of weight, and if so, how did you achieve it?
    I've lost about 5 stone since mid February by eating healthy food and cutting out products which are high in fat. Now that I'm half a century I'm finding exercise very difficult; I too need to go to the gym and tone up, walking, press-ups and sit-ups aren't enough. If I were you I would continue cycling to work and join a gym and do an hour of light weight training per evening.

The problem with rapid weight loss is you lose valuable muscle tissue as well as fat i.e. if you increase your level of exercise opposed to decreasing your calorific intake you will lose weight and become stronger. If your weight remains stable on your current diet; any extra physical exercise will result in weight loss. When you have reached your goal you can increase your protein intake, use heavier weights and concentrate on building up your muscles.

I have credited my weight loss to the Nintendo Wii and Wii Sports, which isnít true as the Nintendo Wii didnít feed me healthy food; it only fed me a load of PS2 ports. :)

Edited by Sid Nice at 17:23:04 19-07-2007

NNID Sid-Nice

• Psychotext 19 Jul 2007 17:26:51 54,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    I have credited my weight loss to the Nintendo Wii and Wii Sports, which isnít true as the Nintendo Wii didnít feed me healthy food; it only fed me a load of PS2 ports. :)
    Just wait for the new whole body DDR, as someone who uses DDR for exercise as well as fun I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Sid-Nice 19 Jul 2007 17:58:06 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got Dancing Stage Mario Mix and Karaoke Revolution Party which are compatible with each other; my daughter is the one who play's these games, my coordinationís are shit trying to dance and sing at the same time is an impossibility for me. I did hear that the DSMM mat was also compatible with the new DDR game. Then again 2 mats are better than 1.

NNID Sid-Nice

• piratebrido 19 Jul 2007 23:19:43 123 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    piratebrido wrote:

Oh! Where do you train? I used to do MMA back when I lived in London, which is one of the main reasons I got so fit last summer. the warmup was excellent. Punishing, but excellent.

I used to do Interval runs, too; 30 seconds sprinting followed by 30 seconds jogging then 30 sprinting and so on for 10 minutes. It was an absolute killer, and almost had me vomiting a few times. \o/

EDIT: I wish there was a BJJ club near me in Kent. I miss it. ;_;

Edited by Onny at 16:41:21 19-07-2007

http://www.thegriphouse.co.uk/

I also do Tai Chi Chuan, because I am funky that way. I do much more grappling than the rest of it though. I would live in my Gi if I could!
  • DaisyD 19 Jul 2007 23:33:29 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wii Fit ftw!

I do the dvds at home - they can be fun. I have 3 I love and alternate.
  • Derblington 19 Jul 2007 23:52:49 21,701 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Ha, coming from a guy who advised using free weights for fat loss.
    Doing free weights exercises a lot of muscles (core etc).

Exercising muscles burns calories. Burn eough calories and you will burn fat.

Admittedly, cardio is better, but it is true that free weights are also a great way of burning calories.
    You may want to do some more research. Weight training is the best form of burning fat, you just need to do it right in combination with a healthy diet.

I went from 19-14st last year, in about 4/5 months.
  • JayPee 20 Jul 2007 09:32:39 1,490 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    JayPee wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:

Admittedly, cardio is better, but it is true that free weights are also a great way of burning calories.
    You may want to do some more research. Weight training is the best form of burning fat, you just need to do it right in combination with a healthy diet.

Cardio is better because you don't need to share precious floor space with meat-heads who lift too-heavy weights and drop them making loud bang and generally putting you off your routine. :p

Plus you may want to do some research too.

The metabolic benefits of cardio cannot be underrated.
  • glaeken 20 Jul 2007 09:51:50 11,197 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Quality is usually far better than quantity. Do 200 crunches and you'll just overtrain the muscles. Do 20 each of 5 different ab exercises and you'll work wonders.

That is not in one hit. You basically split it into 4-5 sets. For crunches that is fairly easy as it's just 4 sets of 50 though I must admit itís a pretty tough work out on the press-ups so maybe start off aiming for 100 on press-upís over 4 sets and work your way up after a few weeks.

While good form (doing the exercise with perfect method) is the ideal to get yourself tighter tone and more definition you want to be doing high reps almost to exhaustion and you will sacrifice form as you get close to exhaustion but when you are training for high reps you don't need to worry about this too much.

On over training its more important to get enough rest between work outs to avoid that and the ab's can take a hell of a lot more reps than some muscle groups.

Edited by glaeken at 09:54:08 20-07-2007
  • Onny 20 Jul 2007 09:52:43 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    piratebrido wrote:
    http://www.thegriphouse.co.uk/

I also do Tai Chi Chuan, because I am funky that way. I do much more grappling than the rest of it though. I would live in my Gi if I could!
    Oh man, I wish I had a club like that near me. I'd be in there almost every night. You lucky bastard.
  • Tommyc352 20 Jul 2007 09:59:42 1,293 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh man, I need to start pounding the pavement again, went on a blitz about up until a month ago and lost a stone - but I know if I don't start soon, the pounds are going to pile up again, especially with people bringing in cakes to the office everyday!

Anybody point me to a guide/instruction for some free weights - I have a pair at home that haven't been used for a few years...
  • pistol 20 Jul 2007 10:01:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Onny wrote:
    Last summer I went on a massive fitness regime to keep my mind off my absent girlfriend. I shed loads of weight and was in the best shape of my life. Since the end of August last year (when she returned) it's been a slow, gradual decline, and my belly is back with a vengeance.
    That sounds horribly familiar... my missus came back and ruined my routine too.

They say they like us looking good, but I think secretly they fatten us up so we can't get another woman. =D

lol..

I mentioned to my wife the other day about going on the treadmill (got one in the garage) and she replied "why, do I need to"?

• pistol 20 Jul 2007 10:09:19 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    JayPee wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:

Yep, weight training is a very under-rated way to lose weight but ONLY if you are working out aerobically too. The 2 combined really do work but pay attention to the type of weight workout, weights, reps etc. As your body develops muscle tissue you will lose bodyfat as well. It's a fine balance though and a lot of people get it wrong. What you put in your mouth is far more critical..
  • Page

of 312 First / Last