Boris for Mayor!! Page 4

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• LetsGo 24 Apr 2008 13:07:25 5,242 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    People in this thread have been making him out to be stupid. I don't think you get to be where he is by being stupid.

As for being a fuckwit we are talking about a city that has elected red Ken more than once so I doubt they are that bothered.

+++++++++++++++++1
  • Deleted user 24 April 2008 13:11:27
    Nah, he's very, very far away from being an idiot.

All the more to worry about really...
  • afghan_jones 24 Apr 2008 13:13:07 3,041 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    People in this thread have been making him out to be stupid. I don't think you get to be where he is by being stupid.

Yeah, it takes breeding. :)

inbreeding.
  • presh 24 Apr 2008 13:13:11 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Nah, he's very, very far away from being an idiot.

Based on.....
  • Deleted user 24 April 2008 13:14:40
    presh wrote:
    Based on.....
    Getting a first at Oxbridge and going on to be a rather sucessful magazine editor, politician and 'personality'.

Watching him when he's not doing his 'thing' is as equally refreshing as it is worrying.
  • glaeken 24 Apr 2008 13:20:14 11,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

This is true. He did not just get where he is today through being stupid. He also got there through being born into a rich family.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2008 13:21:59
    glaeken wrote:
    This is true. He did not just get where he is today through being stupid. He also got there through being born into a rich family.
    This is what's worrying though - people actually believe this. It's pretty much how he can (or could) get away with anything with only a ruffle of his hair as punishment.
  • Carlo 24 Apr 2008 13:28:59 18,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Kens negative campaign on a gaming site? They must be worried!

PSN ID: Djini

• Mr_Sleep 24 Apr 2008 13:33:00 17,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Frankly I'd rather just vote for Brian Paddock, after the few debates on telly he's the only one who seems to be the good alternative to Ken.

Of course being a liberal democrat that means he's never going to get in and I can't seriously vote for Boris.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Carlo 24 Apr 2008 13:34:12 18,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Frankly I'd rather just vote for Brian Paddock.
    WHO?!?!?!

:D

• Goban 24 Apr 2008 13:39:55 9,071 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be a councillor you need to have a highly dominant fuckwit gene.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Apr 2008 13:40:32 17,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    WHO?!?!?!

:D

My point exactly ;-) It is a shame that really it's a Boris versus Ken situation. A lot of people are going to vote for Ken just to ensure Boris doesn't get in. If Boris had never been involved I think Paddock would have had a chance.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Carlo 24 Apr 2008 13:43:34 18,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    A lot of people are going to vote for Ken just to ensure Boris doesn't get in.
    Frankly I think think everyone's voting for Boris to get that asshat Ken out!

• spindizzy 24 Apr 2008 13:44:53 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My brief input:
    - IMO Livingstone has had the courage to do unpopular things that have (again IMO) benefited London. He's a twat, but he's done a pretty good job.
    - Boris is NOT an idiot, and anyone who seriously thinks he is should read some of the stuff he's written. What he is, is a bit of a play actor and desperately keen to be liked. Which makes him a fucking TERRIBLE choice for mayor of London.
    - Lib dem candidate. No idea. ;-)

• spazmo 24 Apr 2008 22:48:06 2,782 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Boris and other candidates on Question Time now.
  • Shinji 25 Apr 2008 00:24:15 5,903 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    - Boris is NOT an idiot, and anyone who seriously thinks he is should read some of the stuff he's written. What he is, is a bit of a play actor and desperately keen to be liked. Which makes him a fucking TERRIBLE choice for mayor of London.

He's not an idiot, by any means - he's an intelligent bloke who has learned that he can be popular by playing an idiot. He reminds me of a couple of people I know in that regard, and that's probably what scares me most about the potential for him being in power; anyone who is willing to subsume their own intelligence in the quest for popularity is not a safe person to hold a position of power over a kitchen sink, let alone the world's most multi-ethnic and diverse metropolis.
  • neil74 25 Apr 2008 09:10:35 2,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    Bill Door wrote:
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    blizeH wrote:
    Get over yourselves with the anti-tories bullshit.

BlizeH - Too young to remember Thatcher properly since (at a guess) 1987?

What has that got to do with anything? That's like saying don't vote Labour, remember the Looney Left under Foot.

As much as I detest Blair, he made everybody believe that he was making a conscious effort to divorce himself from the policies as well as the image of Labour's loony left.

Fixed
  • The_Aardvark 25 Apr 2008 09:29:45 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neil74 wrote:
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    Bill Door wrote:
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    blizeH wrote:
    Get over yourselves with the anti-tories bullshit.

BlizeH - Too young to remember Thatcher properly since (at a guess) 1987?

What has that got to do with anything? That's like saying don't vote Labour, remember the Looney Left under Foot.

As much as I detest Blair, he made everybody believe that he was making a conscious effort to divorce himself from the policies as well as the image of Labour's loony left.

Fixed

I'd be interested to know which 'loony left' policies he snuck in when no-one was looking.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2008 09:37:42 44,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    London needs a figurehead. Ken is not that, whatever else he may be.

Boris is.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• The_Aardvark 25 Apr 2008 09:39:47 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

Boris is.

London's sophisticated infrastructure needs a competent manager. Boris is not that, whatever else he may be.

Also: why does London need a figurehead? We've managed perfectly well without one for centuries.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 09:40:19
    Edit: @LB

I can't agree with that at all - just because Boris is a TV personality that doesn't make him a figurehead. Especially compared to one of the most prominant politicians of the past couple of decades.
  • kalel 25 Apr 2008 09:41:59 87,933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't know if it's been posted alread but this rant by Charlie Brooker pretty much sums up my feelings on this thread:

A few years back, during the run-up to the Nathan Barley TV series, my co-author Chris Morris and I briefly kicked around a storyline about a animated MP running for election. When I say "animated", I mean literall animated. He was a cartoon - the political equivalent of Gorillaz - fashioned fro state-of-the-art computer-generated imagery so that he could move and talk in rea time, like Max Headroom. His speech would be provided on-the-fly by professional cartoon voice artist working in conjunction with a team of politica advisers and comedy writers, so he'd have an impish personality not dissimilar t the genie in Disney's Aladdin. Debating against him would be impossible becaus he'd make outrageously goonish statements one minute and trot out cunnin political platitudes the next. Because he wasn't real, he'd never age, die, or b bogged down in scandal - and huge swathes of the population would vote for hi just because they found him cool or fun or different

Fast-forward to now. On May 1 London chooses its mayor, and I've got a horrible feeling it might pick Boris Johnson for similar reasons. Johnson - or to give him his full name, Boris LOL!!!! what a legernd!! Johnson!!! - is a TV character loved by millions for his cheeky, bumbling persona. Unlike the cartoon MP, he's magnetically prone to scandal, but this somehow only makes him more adorable each time. Tee hee! Boris has had an affair! Arf! Now he's offended the whole of Liverpool! Crumbs! He used the word "picaninnies"! Yuk yuk! He's been caught on tape agreeing to give the address of a reporter to a friend who wants him beaten up! Ho ho! Look at his funny blond hair! HA HA BORIS LOL!!!! WHAT A LEGERND!!!!!!

If butterfingers Johnson gets in, it'll clearly be a laugh riot from beginning to end, like a series of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em in which Frank Spencer becomes mayor by mistake. Just picture him on live TV, appealing for calm after a terrorist bombing - the scope for chuckles is almost limitless.

Assisting Boris in his run, the London Evening Standard is running an openly hostile anti-Livingstone campaign, which means every other page carries a muckraking down-with-Ken piece from crusading journalist Andrew Gilligan, played by Blinky, the three-eyed fish from The Simpsons, in his byline photo. All the articles blend into one after a while, but their central implication is that Ken's a boozy egomaniac surrounded by a corrupt circus of cronies, so you might as well vote for a rightwing comedy pillock instead. You know, him off the telly. With the blond hair. LOL!!!! WHAT A LEGERND!!!!!

Now, even if the Standard photographs Ken carving a swastika into a dormouse's back, I'll vote for him for the following reasons:

1) I'm genetically predisposed to hate the Tories. It's my default, hard-wired position. If Boris wins, their simpering pudge-faced smuggery is going to be unbearable. Picture the expression Piers Morgan makes when he's especially pleased with himself, then multiply it by 10 million, and imagine it looming overhead like a Death Star. That's what it's going be like. Therefore I don't care who wins provided Johnson loses, and loses hard, preferably in close-up, on the telly.

2) Ken's other main rival is solid-but-dull Lib Dem candidate Brian Paddick. He probably deserves a shot, but as he's not going to win, voting for him would be a waste of a perfectly good X, which might otherwise be used to pinpoint buried treasure, indicate affection, or mark a plague victim's door.

3) I wouldn't trust Boris to operate a mop, let alone a 10bn Crossrail project.

4) On a related note, I don't believe in my gut that Boris gives even the faintest hint of a wisp of a glimpse of a toss about London, or indeed humanity in general. Both of which are fairly important in a job like this.

5) But on the other hand OMFG LOOK AT HIS FUNNEEE HAIR LOL!!!! BORRIS IS A LEGERND!!!!

Anyway, if the worst happens and Boris gets in, then provided he doesn't obliterate the capital in some hilarious slapstick disaster, or provoke war with Portsmouth with a chance remark - provided, in short, that London still exists in some recognisable form - the rival parties should fight fire with fire by running equally popular TV characters against him in the next election.

It doesn't even matter if they're real or not. Basil Brush would be a shoo-in. Churchill, the nodding dog from the car insurance ads - he'll do. Or if we're after the ironic vote, how about Gene Hunt from Life on Mars? Or Phil Mitchell? At least he's a Londoner.

They might as well. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and there's no more desperate sign of the times than the current wave of LOL OMFG!!!! BORIS DONE A GUFF!!!! ROFL!!!!!!! THE MAN IS A LEGERND I TELL YOU LOL!!!!! I CARNT WAIT 2 SEE HIM RUNNING THE INTIRE CITTY!!! BORRIS 4 KING!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • glaeken 25 Apr 2008 09:43:49 11,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

Boris is.

London's sophisticated infrastructure needs a competent manager. Boris is not that, whatever else he may be.

Also: why does London need a figurehead? We've managed perfectly well without one for centuries.

Even if you truely thought London needed a figure head why would it be a good idea for this figure head to be a complete tool?
  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 09:46:36
    Brooker's secod point is horribly true really. From what I can tell the Lib Dem guy is the best for the job, but if Boris slid in I'd probably feel guilty about not going for Ken to stop him.

Stoopid politics. :(
  • spazmo 25 Apr 2008 09:46:53 2,782 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    His performance on Question Time last night had me cringing half the time.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2008 09:48:59 44,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:

How did we manage without a mayor then? I don't remember London falling apart through the 80s and 90s when they didn't have one.

And I would put in Boris ahead of a nonentity like Ken.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 26 First / Last