Boris for Mayor!! Page 3

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• lucky_jim 24 Apr 2008 11:46:20 5,160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    When Boris destroys London we in the north will have a reight good laugh.

Livingston has already done that, Boris will bring back London to what it was pre-Ken.

London is so much better now than it was eight years ago. I've been living in the centre of the city and life for those of us actually living inside the city has improved loads. Sure, the SUV-driving suburbs might not like having to pay to drive their tanks into town, but fuck 'em.

I wouldn't be able to afford to live here if BoJo had his way and scrapped the affordable housing requirement for new developments. Ken fought tooth-and-nail against Brown over the part-privatisation of the tube, and time has proved him right (the Tory privatisation-fetishists would readily sell the whole network to whichever of their chums wanted it). Ken's given us a bus network which actually works, as opposed to the mess we had eight years ago. Ken's worked to maintain good relations between London's various communities, whereas Johnson has form as a racist.

I can't stand Livingstone's personality, and I believe Paddick would be an excellent administrator, which why Ken's only getting my second-preference; but London needs Johnson about as much as it needs the BNP.
  • lucky_jim 24 Apr 2008 11:50:47 5,160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Well considering they have a huge lead in the (national) opinion polls it seems quite a few people are happy voting for them. I don't think the other parties are even bothering putting people up for the council elections in my area.

Of course they do, and of course there are. The surprising thing in the current climate is that they're not doing better, and that Labour still has a chance- just a chance- of being in power at the next election. The current climate has more parallels with 1992 than 1997.

I take it "your area" doesn't have much in the way of inner cities, or mining communities, or any of the other poorer sections of society systematically kneecapped by Thatcher and her evil horde?

• SlackMaster 24 Apr 2008 11:52:10 3,132 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm voting for Boris. He's got some good ideas for sorting out problems with yobs on public transport. Ken is just an annoying smarmy twat face. There said it. Plus I want Labour out.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 11:52:26 13,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    When Boris destroys London we in the north will have a reight good laugh.

Livingston has already done that, Boris will bring back London to what it was pre-Ken.

Ken's worked to maintain good relations between London's various communities, whereas Johnson has form as a racist.

Ken is much more into his anti-Semitism.
  • LetsGo 24 Apr 2008 11:53:07 5,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:

I wouldn't be able to afford to live here if BoJo had his way and scrapped the affordable housing requirement for new developments.

Go back, read the Boris manifesto then come back and apologise because that comment is Red Ken propaganda im afraid.
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 11:56:32 13,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I take it "your area" doesn't have much in the way of inner cities, or mining communities, or any of the other poorer sections of society systematically kneecapped by Thatcher and her evil horde?

No but luckily labour wouldn't do anything to screw over the poorer parts of society by say scrapping the 10p tax band.
  • JuanKerr 24 Apr 2008 11:56:42 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love reading armchair politics on EG.
  • otto Moderator 24 Apr 2008 11:56:51 49,291 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would personally like to punch in the face every single Londoner who votes for Boris.

It's like taking a shit in your own dinner.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• lucky_jim 24 Apr 2008 12:03:45 5,160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    No but luckily labour wouldn't do anything to screw over the poorer parts of society by say scrapping the 10p tax band.

I agree, that sucks. That's an issue for a general election though, not a local one. In any case, the harm that causes doesn't compare to things like the planned destruction of northern mining communities, 18 years of undermining the British manufacturing base, the poll tax... I could go on. And at least they've backtracked once the people they've shafted started complaining. The Tories would just shaft you, then shaft you some more for daring to complain about it.
  • LetsGo 24 Apr 2008 12:09:51 5,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kens Great!
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 12:14:54 13,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also seem to remember him saying that it was ok for Palestinians to blow up Israeli buses but a different matter entirely to do it to London buses.
  • thefilthandthefury 24 Apr 2008 12:15:06 24,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Kens Great!

LOL! That's brilliant :D
  • otto Moderator 24 Apr 2008 12:22:21 49,291 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never mind the Mail smears, are you going to vote for someone with a DEMONSTRABLE TRACK RECORD OF FIXING LONDON or are you going to vote for a fat self-publicist with no track record of anything other than helping his gangster mate beat up a journalist?

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Shinji 24 Apr 2008 12:24:44 5,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    lucky_jim wrote:

I wouldn't be able to afford to live here if BoJo had his way and scrapped the affordable housing requirement for new developments.

Go back, read the Boris manifesto then come back and apologise because that comment is Red Ken propaganda im afraid.

What fucking manifesto? A stack of generalisations and vague concepts not supported by any actual plans, policies or concrete actions. Boris is a typical "personality" politician - all smiles and soundbites, and no fucking policies.

Sorry, scratch that - he does have two policies. He wants to make kids who act like yobs on buses clean graffiti for a bit before getting their travel passes back (he hasn't explained how this will be funded or policed), and he wants to remove bendy buses and replace them with a new "Routemaster-esque" bus, which is somehow magically going to carry the same passenger numbers and have the same turnaround time at stops as the bendy buses do. This one at least we have an independent set of costings for - over half a billion quid on your council tax bills and ticket costs, Londoners!

His campaign is a joke, and while I appreciate the some Londoners are disgruntled either with the Labour party (a bit unfair really in this instance, as Ken has always been a staunch Labour rebel) or with Livingstone himself (fair dos), the idea that Boris would be a reasonable change or alternative is horrific. Paddick is a reasonable protest vote; hell, Berry is a GREAT protest vote. Johnson, though? Like Otto says, that's like shitting in your own dinner plate.
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 12:26:24 13,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How could you not vote for a man who said this:

Portsmouth

In April 2007 Johnson was called upon to resign by the MPs for the city of Portsmouth after claiming in a column for GQ that the city was "one of the most depressed towns in Southern England, a place that is arguably too full of drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs".

Not to mention he pissed off the whole of Liverpool.
  • angeltreats 24 Apr 2008 12:30:49 2,602 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't even find WHERE we are supposed to go and vote. The elections website reckons our postcode doesn't exist.
  • JuanKerr 24 Apr 2008 12:31:41 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Portsmouth

In April 2007 Johnson was called upon to resign by the MPs for the city of Portsmouth after claiming in a column for GQ that the city was "one of the most depressed towns in Southern England, a place that is arguably too full of drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs".

Not to mention he pissed off the whole of Liverpool.

Boris gets my vote.
  • otto Moderator 24 Apr 2008 12:39:37 49,291 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You do realise that chief executive of a major municipal government is NOT the same job as third act of the night at Jongleurs, right? You realise there's a different skill set required? Someone who gets a laugh by slagging off another town might be a decent choice for open mike night at the Comedy Store (though that's debatable); he is most definitely not a good choice for managing your municipal government. People that say "I'll vote for him, he makes me laugh" aren't funny, they're stupid.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 24 April 2008 12:41:03
    He is right about Portsmouth, though.
  • LetsGo 24 Apr 2008 12:41:10 5,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Portsmouth

You don't think he had a point? :)
  • Pike 24 Apr 2008 12:43:59 13,431 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto wrote:
    You do realise that chief executive of a major municipal government is NOT the same job as third act of the night at Jongleurs, right? You realise there's a different skill set required? Someone who gets a laugh by slagging off another town might be a decent choice for open mike night at the Comedy Store (though that's debatable); he is most definitely not a good choice for managing your municipal government. People that say "I'll vote for him, he makes me laugh" aren't funny, they're stupid.

Well, they already did elect Red Ken, so why should they suddenly have turned intelligent?
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 12:44:09 13,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

Portsmouth

I have never seen a more truthful thing said by a politician.
  • otto Moderator 24 Apr 2008 12:44:35 49,291 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    95% of the stand-up comedians in Britain probably make correct and amusing social commentary. Like I say, doesn't qualify them to run my local government.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• LetsGo 24 Apr 2008 12:45:05 5,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

Portsmouth

I have never seen a more truthful thing said by a politician.

Oh wicked, another vote for Boris!
  • JuanKerr 24 Apr 2008 12:45:08 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:

Erm, I wasn't being serious - I don't know enough about any of the candidates to make an informed judgement and I don't even live in London.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2008 12:45:21
    otto wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:
    95% of the stand-up comedians in Britain probably make correct and amusing social commentary. Like I say, doesn't qualify them to run my local government.

I wasn't suggesting he was. Just wanted a cheap shot at Pompey.
  • Carlo 24 Apr 2008 12:58:11 17,911 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boris for the first vote, BNP for the alternate.

/can't wait

PSN ID: Djini

• JuanKerr 24 Apr 2008 12:59:57 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have no preferences for any of the candidates, but are you all basing your opinions on Boris on his media persona?
  • RichGL 24 Apr 2008 13:00:32 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't live in London but is there any way at all that I can vote for Boris?

Him being mayor would be bloody hilarious for the rest of the country.
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 13:04:53 13,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People in this thread have been making him out to be stupid. I don't think you get to be where he is by being stupid.

As for being a fuckwit we are talking about a city that has elected red Ken more than once so I doubt they are that bothered.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last