of 26 First / Last

• Cloudane 16 Jul 2007 12:10:33 1,974 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slurpy J wrote:
    After this this??

Yes please!

That is the best thing (almost) ever.

I think some people need to lighten up; we need somebody like Boris running around with a bit of extra power and humour to brighten our news when it comes to politics.
  • Spanky 16 Jul 2007 12:17:54 14,471 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Red Ken is the most odious fecking Weasel to ever walk the earth.
    o/ Seconds! I'll be voting to get Ken out, and if that means voting for the gibbon then so be it. But i'd rather vote to abolish the mayor altogether thanks to him.

Plubs

• Goban 16 Jul 2007 12:20:11 9,051 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've always liked Boris. He's a very clever man who's not afraid to speak his mind, even if his opinions aren't popular.

I also think that Ken is an arse.
  • JuanKerr 16 Jul 2007 12:25:37 36,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:

I also think that Ken is LABOUR SCUM.

Fixed, just to balance out the anti-tory sentiments expressed earlier in the thread.
  • MetalDog 16 Jul 2007 12:33:34 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They're both scum, but I strongly suspect Boris is several shades darker than Ken. Lesser of two evils and all that.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Ajay 16 Jul 2007 12:40:50 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just don't know how the hell I'm supposed to choose between a die hard ideologist who uses the city as a giant, personal playset or a dyed in the wool Tory with a concocted media persona that appeals to Tory haters.

I mean, come on.

Edited by Ajay at 12:42:53 16-07-2007
  • nickthegun 16 Jul 2007 12:41:18 59,341 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boris being a bumbling old tart is one of those brilliant 'Chinese Magician in The Prestige' things. You just want to ruffle his hair when he has affairs with other women. The bloke is a bona fide genius and i mean that quite sincerely.

Ken, on the other hand, is cut from the Galloway cloth. A career politician who is not only an appealing example of what a politician should be, but an appalling example of a human being too.

To call him an attention whore would be an insult to attention whores.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• The_Aardvark 16 Jul 2007 13:15:16 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Voting in Boris because of his floppy hair and ignoring the fact that at a fundamental level he's still Tory scum would be a travesty.

You have rendered my contribution to the thread obsolete. Well done you.
  • The_Aardvark 16 Jul 2007 13:16:39 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Get over yourselves with the anti-tories bullshit.

BlizeH - Too young to remember Thatcher properly since (at a guess) 1987?
  • Load_2.0 16 Jul 2007 13:22:28 19,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the key to being mayor is to be a cunt though. Anyone who tries to be a human being would be crushed by the various unions/factions and interest groups throughout London.

Ken may have made some unpopular decisions but London is still thriving.
  • Goban 16 Jul 2007 13:25:30 9,051 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Mayor doesn't have too much actual power, so it probably ultimately doesn't matter that much.
  • Carlo 16 Jul 2007 13:25:52 17,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    replace him with Mr. Blobby
    \o/ WINNER!

PSN ID: Djini

• deem 16 Jul 2007 13:26:14 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • glaeken 16 Jul 2007 13:33:17 11,133 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Ken may have made some unpopular decisions but London is still thriving.

It's the fact that he will make unpopular decisions which is why I kind of like him. Congestion charging being a great example.

It would not surprise me to see Boris standing on something like abolishing congestion charging which would be a great example of something that will be really popular but actually wrong to do.

Livingston is not charismatic and comes across as a bit whiny but you do get the idea he truly believes in what he tries to do rather than adopt popularitist positions in order to gain power.
  • The_Aardvark 16 Jul 2007 14:09:18 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    blizeH wrote:
    Get over yourselves with the anti-tories bullshit.

BlizeH - Too young to remember Thatcher properly since (at a guess) 1987?

What has that got to do with anything? That's like saying don't vote Labour, remember the Looney Left under Foot.

As much as I detest Blair, he made a conscious effort to divorce himself from the policies as well as the image of Labour's loony left. Spameron, while he comes across as a friendly, cuddly social liberal actually maintains a set of policies that are pretty close to Thatcherism - a hostility to state provision of services, belief in the power of markets as the most efficcient mode of distribution.

But, this aside, a lot of people who grew up in the 80s have a non-rational hatred of the Tories and all their works which younger people will never understand.
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 10:27:04 14,265 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The election is getting close now and seems really tight in the polls. Caught a bit of the US style debate between the three main candidates the other night and found it really interesting and just noticed that question time are doing one tonight and sky next week. We really should have these for our general elections as well.

So don't live in London myself but was wondering what peoples thoughts are? From outside it looks like time for a change but I don't live with it day in and day out so hard to tell.
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 10:29:34 14,265 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • X201 24 Apr 2008 10:29:39 15,228 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Always worth a watch...

Boris vs Germany
  • mcmonkeyplc 24 Apr 2008 10:34:27 39,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If this knobend ends up being my Mayor I will murder all of you!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 10:34:48 14,265 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great clip they should use that in their election adverts.
  • hulahoops 24 Apr 2008 10:58:56 2,311 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    It would not surprise me to see Boris standing on something like abolishing congestion charging which would be a great example of something that will be really popular but actually wrong to do.

Livingston is not charismatic and comes across as a bit whiny but you do get the idea he truly believes in what he tries to do rather than adopt popularitist positions in order to gain power.
    Yes, agreed. People complain endlessly about populist politicians (in my opinion they're the scourge of politics) and yet when they land a mayor who's prepared to do what he feels is right even if it's unpopular, they complain about that too.

I'm not thrilled about Livingston. I think carrots to use public transport are lagging behind the sticks against using cars for instance, but Boris would be a disaster.
  • thefilthandthefury 24 Apr 2008 11:02:34 24,983 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Always worth a watch...

Boris vs Germany

Is this the infamous tackle during the football game? :D

/cant see youtube at work
  • X201 24 Apr 2008 11:03:20 15,228 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Always worth a watch...

Boris vs Germany

Yep :)
  • Popzeus 24 Apr 2008 11:03:42 8,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When Boris destroys London we in the north will have a reight good laugh.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• thefilthandthefury 24 Apr 2008 11:04:48 24,983 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Always worth a watch...

Boris vs Germany

Yep :)

lol, possibly one of the best videos ever posted on the internet :D
  • RubyRed 24 Apr 2008 11:26:50 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, what are you lot worried about? Throughout the ages, Londoners have survived the WW2 blitz, countless terrorist attacks, rampant gun crime, pollution, a high cost of living, and much more. I think we'll cope with Boris...

/votes Paddick, just to be safe
  • Deleted user 24 April 2008 11:27:13
    Schwarzenegger clearly not a fan then.
  • lucky_jim 24 Apr 2008 11:35:11 5,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    /genetically programmed to avoid voting tory scum

Soooo, Paddick or Red Ken?

I share your predisposition to not voting Tory scum, I don't think the party realises how many people there are like me: people who grew up in a poor family in the 80's and saw first-hand how evil their policies were, and will never, ever vote for them. Even if they introduced a policy of issuing cheques for a hundred grand to everyone called Jim, I'd not be able to vote for them.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Well, you get two votes, if your first-choice candidate doesn't come in the top two your vote is transferred to your second-choice. So, I'll putting a "1" next to Paddick and a "2" next to Livingstone. Seems the sensible thing to do if you're struggling to choose between the two.

The last thing London needs is to be run by a racist Etonian buffoon who doesn't even deign to live in the city.
  • LetsGo 24 Apr 2008 11:35:47 5,183 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    When Boris destroys London we in the north will have a reight good laugh.

Livingston has already done that, Boris will bring back London to what it was pre-Ken.
  • TheSaint 24 Apr 2008 11:39:16 14,265 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    /genetically programmed to avoid voting tory scum

Soooo, Paddick or Red Ken?

I share your predisposition to not voting Tory scum, I don't think the party realises how many people there are like me: people who grew up in a poor family in the 80's and saw first-hand how evil their policies were, and will never, ever vote for them. Even if they introduced a policy of issuing cheques for a hundred grand to everyone called Jim, I'd not be able to vote for them.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Well, you get two votes, if your first-choice candidate doesn't come in the top two your vote is transferred to your second-choice. So, I'll putting a "1" next to Paddick and a "2" next to Livingstone. Seems the sensible thing to do if you're struggling to choose between the two.

The last thing London needs is to be run by a racist Etonian buffoon who doesn't even deign to live in the city.

Well considering they have a huge lead in the (national) opinion polls it seems quite a few people are happy voting for them. I don't think the other parties are even bothering putting people up for the council elections in my area.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last