Boris for Mayor!! Page 5

  • Page

    of 26 First / Last

  • JuanKerr 25 Apr 2008 09:51:28 36,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    The_Aardvark wrote:

    London's sophisticated infrastructure needs a competent manager. Boris is not that, whatever else he may be.

    Also: why does London need a figurehead? We've managed perfectly well without one for centuries.

    How did we manage without a mayor then? I don't remember London falling apart through the 80s and 90s when they didn't have one.

    And I would put in Boris ahead of a nonentity like Ken.

    Not that I'm taking sides, but do you think Boris is capable of doing a good job in London then?

    Also, does anyone have any ACTUAL evidence that he would be useless, other than the usual 'oh, he's a bumbling, floppy-haired toff' bollocks?

    All I've heard on this thread so far is people who just don't like Boris' persona, which is hardly a sound argument for him not to be elected as mayor.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 09:52:15
    Ken Livingstone is a nonentity now? There's plenty of things you can legitimately call him, but nonentity isn't one of them.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 09:53:59
    JuanKerr wrote:
    All I've heard on this thread so far is people who just don't like Boris' persona, which is hardly a sound argument for him not to be elected as mayor.
    Apart from the whole 'hiding his politics behind a cuddly image to avoid any attention being paid to them' thing?
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2008 09:54:30 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have no evidence as to his political nous, other than his senior position in the tory party. I was saying that he would work well as the mayor because he would attract media attention to his initiatives, which (whether accepted or attacked) would give him a better platform than Ken for explaining his position and outlining his vision.

    Plus I've met them both, and Ken is just creepy, like a beige fish.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 09:56:18
    /is trying to work out whether LB is being serious or not
  • JuanKerr 25 Apr 2008 09:56:23 36,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    All I've heard on this thread so far is people who just don't like Boris' persona, which is hardly a sound argument for him not to be elected as mayor.
    Apart from the whole 'hiding his politics behind a cuddly image to avoid any attention being paid to them' thing?

    Still not hearing any actual evidence that he wouldn't be able to be a successful mayor.

    I don't even live in London, so this doesn't affect me, I just want someone to present something concrete to suggest that Boris really is a bumbling loon who is going to 'ruin London'.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 10:00:14
    JuanKerr wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Apart from the whole 'hiding his politics behind a cuddly image to avoid any attention being paid to them' thing?

    Still not hearing any actual evidence that he wouldn't be able to be a successful mayor.

    I don't even live in London, so this doesn't affect me, I just want someone to present something concrete to suggest that Boris really is a bumbling loon who is going to 'ruin London'.
    I don't get it? I just pointed out that we [u]don't[/u] think that he's a bumbling loon. We think that he's a Tory. :)
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2008 10:00:29 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    /is trying to work out whether LB is being serious or not

    I will vote for Boris come election day. I am being serious, however I am also shattered and trying to write a presentation for Monday, so my arguments are abbreviated and not up to snuff. I'd come back with something more cogent but I'm trying not to come into work this weekend (mum in hospital).

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • ScoutTech 25 Apr 2008 10:00:33 2,423 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing that annoys me about Brookers article is he is basically advocating and promoting bad politics. If he thinks the Lib Dem is the best he should shout it from the roof tops and get as many people on board. That way he does have a chance. Instead he falls back on the old "they'll never win so I'll vote for the one I don't hate" (although how he can hate Boris and not hate Ken is beyond me).
    Considering what he is accusing Boris of and some of the things Ken has done I'm not seeing a difference really.
    Dunno, maybe I'm just being silly but it's like he's raging against a bad option by offering an equally bad one and ignoring an escape route. Well done, good journalism.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 10:03:31
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    I will vote for Boris come election day. I am being serious, however I am also shattered and trying to write a presentation for Monday, so my arguments are abbreviated and not up to snuff. I'd come back with something more cogent but I'm trying not to come into work this weekend (mum in hospital).
    Fair enough.

    I'll expect a 2000 word essay in by Thursday though. :)
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2008 10:05:57 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Fair enough.

    I'll expect a 2000 word essay in by Thursday though. :)

    You sound like my boss, only less Essex-boy and not as worried about his job ;)

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2008 10:10:10 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:

    I don't get it? I just pointed out that we [u]don't[/u] think that he's a bumbling loon. We think that he's a Tory. :)

    Well, we've had a quasi-Tory government for the last 10 years, and a real tory government for about a million years before that. Seems that that is what people want.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • The_Aardvark 25 Apr 2008 10:12:36 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:


    Also, does anyone have any ACTUAL evidence that he would be useless, other than the usual 'oh, he's a bumbling, floppy-haired toff' bollocks?

    All I've heard on this thread so far is people who just don't like Boris' persona, which is hardly a sound argument for him not to be elected as mayor.

    It's difficult to find evidence of fuck-ups when he's never actually held public office before but there he's definitely signed up to some stupid policies;

    440 new PCSOs to tackle antisocial behaviour on public. PCSOs are distinctly ineffective in confrontational situations: they may look like cops but they aren't cops. Sending them out to stop youth crime is a load of nonsense. It's also misleading that on another page this is referred to as 'doubling the number of police officers' patrolling public transport.

    Abolition of the form that police have to fill out when they stop and search people: I'm perfectly entitled to walk the streets minding my own business without being bothered by the police. If I feel I've been stopped for no reason, I damn well want there to be a record of what happened in case I want to complain.

    The 21st century routemaster: As much as I miss the routemaster, it was phased out for a reason: it was bloody expensive to run. The savings (along with a great deal of additional investment) have been ploughed into a massively, massively, improved bus service and I don't want £110m spunked on some pointless nostalgia fest.

    Looking again at having an air-conditioned tube: TFL has spent extensive energy trying to find a way to air-condition the tube, but it's simply not possible to air-condition trains on deep lines without causing overheating in stations and making the problem worse. At best this is an empty promise, at worst a stupid waste of money.

    Rephasing traffic lights: I'm not an expert in this area, but it's been alleged that this basically means making pedestrian crossing times shorter and less frequent and is likely to lead to more deaths on the road.

    A zero tolerance approach to littering and graffiti: what the fuck does this actually mean? Does he really believe that he can enforce littering laws? If so he's in cloud cuckoo-land. And I find it hard to believe that graffiti is tolerated. I just suspect that it's hard to catch the little bastards.

    Affordable housing: Boris talks about making housing affordable, but he says that do it we need to "develop more family-sized homes with gardens" which are pretty much going to be unnaffordable to anyone earning less than triple or quadruple the average wage. He's also anti high-rise building which is a nonsense considering the real shortage of building land in London. We need to make the most of what we've got.


  • Deleted user 25 April 2008 10:12:39
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Well, we've had a quasi-Tory government for the last 10 years, and a real tory government for about a million years before that. Seems that that is what people want.
    Not as much in London though. It's not exactly Tory safe-seat central, barring a handful of boroughs.
  • TheSaint 25 Apr 2008 10:13:36 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a lot of time for Brooker but should he really be surprised that the Evening Standard (Daily Mail Lite) is running a hate campaign against Livingstone?

    Personally I find it no more surprising that the Guardian publishing a whole long anti Boris Johnson / Tory column which his basically is this week.
  • JuanKerr 25 Apr 2008 10:17:49 36,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:

    Something concrete.


    Thank you - that's the first useful post I've read on this thread so far.
  • glaeken 25 Apr 2008 10:18:01 11,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    All I've heard on this thread so far is people who just don't like Boris' persona, which is hardly a sound argument for him not to be elected as mayor.
    Apart from the whole 'hiding his politics behind a cuddly image to avoid any attention being paid to them' thing?

    Still not hearing any actual evidence that he wouldn't be able to be a successful mayor.

    I don't even live in London, so this doesn't affect me, I just want someone to present something concrete to suggest that Boris really is a bumbling loon who is going to 'ruin London'.

    I guess ultimately people don't know how good he would be because as far as I am aware Borris has never been put in charge of anything important. That in itself should be a concern but for me the real reason I don't think he would be good for London is he is playing a stereo type Englishman right out of the glory days of the British empire which I don't think is a good image to represent our capital city.
  • Carlo 25 Apr 2008 11:43:10 17,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched them on Newsnight last night. that Lib Dem guy came over as a total knob-head.

    No-one should be voting for a 'personality' like him.

    "I'm openly gay, and these other two are shady fucks! Ken's a liar, and Boris cheated on his missus, therefore I'm the most honest!"

    PSN ID: Djini

  • daithi90 25 Apr 2008 11:48:26 3,283 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't vote, nor do I even live in the right country, but I really want Boris to be London mayor just so he can get more TV time.
  • Dougs 25 Apr 2008 14:18:30 66,654 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Make your mind up once and for all
  • lucky_jim 25 Apr 2008 20:54:13 5,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh I just searched for this thread so I could post that same link, Dougs. Despite saying earlier that I was gonna give Paddick my first preference, that site has actually given me second thoughts. I readily admit it's Livingstone's personality that puts me off him, but apparently I'm closest to him in policy terms. My results were, in order:

    Ken Livingstone (Labour)
    Brian Paddick (Lib Dem)
    Sian Berry (Green Party)
    Lindsey German (Left List)
    Winston Mckenzie (who?)
    Matt O'Conner (English Democrats)
    Gerrard Batten (UKIP)
    Boris Johnson (Tory shit-for-brains)
    Alan Craig (Christian Peoples Party/ Christian Alliance)
    Richard Barnbrook (BNP scum)

    Pretty much what I'd expect, although I don't know who Winston Mckenzie is or what he stands for so I'm off to do some googling out of curiosity.

    EDIT- go to Mckenzie's campaign site and click the link titled "Read more of Winston's rap...", it's hilarious. My favourite bit is:

    Boris and Norris
    Were like Polaris
    Norris was a contender,
    But had to surrender
    To Boris
    Genius!
  • Deleted user 26 April 2008 10:31:26
    Carlo wrote:
    Watched them on Newsnight last night. that Lib Dem guy came over as a total knob-head.

    No-one should be voting for a 'personality' like him.

    "I'm openly gay, and these other two are shady fucks! Ken's a liar, and Boris cheated on his missus, therefore I'm the most honest!"


    To be honest, they all came off pretty badly.

    Ken came off as perpetually smug and unable to truly answer any criticism towards himself.

    Boris was a bumbling idiot manchild who used his answer time to attack either Brian or Ken's policies rather than actually answering the question at hand.

    Brian, at least, had aspersions to honesty, but kept interrupting the others to make petty jibes. However he seemed to be the most solid.

    And hey, at least what he said is true. ;)

    I know who I'm voting for... by the way, I'm suprised so many actually think the figurehead major is the only person who's making decisions. Boris will only be a bumbling puppet to whoever's controlling him though, which is scarier than anything else.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2008 10:37:07
    Mine went:

    Brian Paddick (Liberal Democrats)
    Matt O'Connor (English Democrats)
    Ken Livingstone (Labour)
    Lindsey German (Left List)
    Gerrard Batten (UKIP)
    Siān Berry (Green Party)
    Richard Barnbrook (BNP)
    Alan Craig (Christian Peoples Alliance / Christian Party)
    Boris Johnson (Conservatives)
    Winston Mckenzie

    Kinda expected Paddick to be there, but a little surprised about the English Democrat guy. Might have to have a little look at his website.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2008 10:59:02
    I got Ken first, then Green Party lady next. Didn't look at the rest.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2008 11:02:09
    ...and the English Democrat guy actually resigned!

    Self-destructive parties ftw!
  • lucky_jim 26 Apr 2008 11:04:03 5,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More from Winston Mckenzie's rap:

    If you step in my shoes,
    You just can't loose.
    I'll air your views

    Loose? LOOSE?! It's LOSE, you utter tool! Wouldn't call him that to his face though.


    Edit- Just reading about that English Democrats fiasco, all very funny. Shades of the People's Front of Judea/ Judean People's Front.
  • hulahoops 26 Apr 2008 14:37:43 2,311 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    More from Winston Mckenzie's rap:

    If you step in my shoes,
    You just can't loose.
    I'll air your views

    Loose? LOOSE?! It's LOSE, you utter tool! Wouldn't call him that to his face though.
    Racist.
  • sanctusmortis 26 Apr 2008 17:48:25 9,627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My summary of why I don't want Boris to win:

    He's a shambling, moronic, American (see Wiki for proof- he was born and lived there until his school years), Conservative idiot whose entire policy reads like we're transported back to pre-WWII times. The guy's a serious basket case worthy only of derision. You might as well elect Paul Daniels!
  • Page

    of 26 First / Last

Log in or register to reply