• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Vortex808 6 Nov 2012 16:49:53 6,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of hassle.
    I did this after last Xmas. Best present my wife has ever bought me btw, but by god it was a pain in the tits.

The shitey software that came with it couldn't recognise all the gaps between songs or made gaps where there was just a short pause. I then had to try to edit them in iTunes, since that was all it would export it to.

I did a lot of swearing and it took a loong time, but by god it was worth it.

Sadly, her ploy to get me to bin my vinyl as I would have it all on mp3 led to me buying more vinyl, since I had something to play it on again and archive it all. :D

N.B. She had previously tried giving away my scabby old stacking stereo without me knowing.
  • mrpon 6 Nov 2012 16:56:47 27,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, I love a good dabble. Perhaps one for when I'm retired!

I had one of those moments clearing out all my old cassettes. I was this ][ close to keeping them all.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Chopsen 6 Nov 2012 17:00:33 15,176 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wife decided to rip all our CDs once. So for a couple of weeks, whatever she was doing, there was a stack of CDs and a laptop ripping away. Personally I would never have been bothered. But now that it's done, cool!

(def could not be arsed with the hassle of ripping vinyl)
  • Vortex808 6 Nov 2012 17:03:08 6,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apologies for the double post!

Edited by Vortex808 at 17:04:26 06-11-2012
  • Vortex808 6 Nov 2012 17:03:59 6,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually binned my cassettes. It pained me a lot, but I seemed to have less of connection to them, unlike my vinyl which I really struggle to part with. If only I'd known USB tape players would be invented!

I should probably buy some of those taped lp's back on CD.
  • oceanmotion 6 Nov 2012 17:04:10 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you use WMP to rip or something else?
  • mrpon 6 Nov 2012 17:06:12 27,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My (retarded) thinking is that one day I might want to listen to that rare Man From Delmonte live bootleg.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Chopsen 6 Nov 2012 17:06:22 15,176 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a similar thing with my tapes. When I looked through them, I realised the majority of them were trash that I was no longer invested in.

I just binned them and acquired copies of the handful I cared for.
  • rtk79 6 Nov 2012 17:07:06 481 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    generica wrote:
    You can't play lossless on an 'MP3' player. It's in the name.
    Of course you can. The Sansa and Cowon portable players (ah !) all support FLAC natively, along many others.

Also : surprised noone's mentionned Foobar 2000. It's amazing, it's free, it'll do anything you like.

Edited by rtk79 at 17:10:55 06-11-2012
  • DaM 6 Nov 2012 17:16:36 12,606 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Sadly, her ploy to get me to bin my vinyl as I would have it all on mp3 led to me buying more vinyl, since I had something to play it on again and archive it all. :D
    I think that was her plan. She keeps talking about all the "old records and Edge magazines" in the loft, so I'm expecting some kit to turn paper into shoes or something this year.
  • oceanmotion 21 Nov 2012 17:15:14 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So you really have to connect to the fucking internet when ripping a CD because the tracks are identified as unknown. Are the tags and art not on the bloody CD. Perhaps WMP being shit, is that the reason ?
  • Weebleboy 21 Nov 2012 17:20:55 365 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very few CDs have the track info on them (hsung CD-Text http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text) so yeah, you need to be online for the info to be retrieved.

I believe you can get utils that can look up the info from the MP3 itself (presumably they ID it from the audio in the same way that Shazam etc. work) but I've never tried them.
  • oceanmotion 21 Nov 2012 17:25:34 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've seen the look up, just thought it be nice to have spot on tags from the source. Saves me checking if they match as well. Thanks.
  • skuzzbag 21 Nov 2012 17:31:05 5,483 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    So you really have to connect to the fucking internet when ripping a CD because the tracks are identified as unknown. Are the tags and art not on the bloody CD. Perhaps WMP being shit, is that the reason ?
    For a very brief period there was such a thing as mixed-media music CD albums that had art and some other crap on them as well as the 44.1 KHz 16bit audio samples.

But no-one could give a shit as most people didn't stick a CD on their IBM compatible personal computer (as this is what they were called back in 1993) to play music (due to shitty sound output and the high cost of an IBM compatible personal computer at that time) so they didn't really last very long.

They went to the same place that albums on C60 with a blank B side so you could record your own music on and video disks went to.

Edited by skuzzbag at 17:31:41 21-11-2012
  • oceanmotion 21 Nov 2012 17:45:46 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not surprising and I doubt they like people ripping either.

On another note, Zune software is still superb. Up comes the artist, art etc. at the CD rip screen. Now we are stuck with the abomination that is Xbox Music. WMP is better than Xbox Music.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Nov 2012 18:07:29 16,247 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am currently undertaking this project myself. I am using mediamonkey combined with a networked media streamer. The whole thing is going surprisingly well. When you have over 1500 CDs it's quite a chore but it needs to be done. Through this process I just today discovered a whole stack of Trojan box sets that I'd forgotten about. So it's been worthwhile!

Mediamonkey has a rather funky part of the program where you can auto-tag from the web, all it seems to need is the album name and it'll track it down, also it'll put the cover art in the folder too. Rather swish. First time in a long time I have felt like paying for a piece of software (just to thank them for being awesome) that does what I need for free.

Oh and it's all going to flac. Fuck your mp3 shit.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:09:17 21-11-2012

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next