Ripping my entire CD collection ....... yawwwwwn ........

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:26:10
    So I`ve finally got round to ripping my entire CD collection to the ol` homestead PC hard drive, and oh my God what a drag ........

I`ve got a few hundred CDs, and I don`t know how many CD singles (remember them ?). I leave the PC on and keep on popping a new one in whenever I walk by, but this is turning into a "project". A long term project.

I guess there are no short cuts, and I will have to rip all new cds before they pile up and cause a backlog.

How long has it taken you lot ? Any suggestions ?

(Ripped 14.5 GB so far)
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:29:39
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Ripping lossless?

?

What do you mean, quality level ?
  • ecureuil 13 Jul 2007 14:31:34 76,546 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lossless is pointless unless you're planning to play your music to a stadium.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:34:52
    Um, no - not lossless. Will I regret this whole exercise when I get the gig to play at Wembley ?

Does it really matter on an MP3 player ?
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:35:44
    lossless is pointless without an HDTV ?
  • generica 13 Jul 2007 14:35:47 4,273 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't play lossless on an 'MP3' player. It's in the name.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:37:24
    generica wrote:
    You can't play lossless on an 'MP3' player. It's in the name.

Oh.

/shamed

• Psychotext 13 Jul 2007 14:37:41 53,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I ripped mine lossless simply because I NEVER wanted to have to do it again (it sucked so bad). After that I put my couple of hundred CDs in my attic.

Oh, and make sure you use a ripper that knows when there's been an error... because that's something else which will royally suck.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:42:20
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    bdaggers wrote:
    Um, no - not lossless. Will I regret this whole exercise when I get the gig to play at Wembley ?

Does it really matter on an MP3 player ?
    Nah not really, but if you ever get any better equipement you may wish you'd done it right the first time. But as most people will probably tell you, mp3 quality is good enough for most.

/phew

Mostly going to stream from the PC to the 360, playing through the surround sound system downstairs. Its sounded pretty good so far, but was getting pissed off witht he small number of cds I had ripped.

Reminds me of the ol` days when I would start playing a couple of tracks and end up pulling out dozens of cds, but can now vegitate on the sofa and do the same.

I guess I am pretty late to this particular party, huh ?

• ecureuil 13 Jul 2007 14:43:32 76,546 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rip all mine at 320kbps, I have some of them as FLAC but I can't tell the difference. It takes up 10x the space for a negligible increase in quality.
  • ecureuil 13 Jul 2007 14:44:39 76,546 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:

Nah, I still haven't done it. I'm getting through it slowly, because my computer won't play audio CD's, so if there's ever a CD I want to listen to I have to rip it beforehand.
  • S.J.Rogers 13 Jul 2007 14:46:22 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @bdaggers

I did this a year ago.

300 albums and 100 singles.

I even made a folder for each artist, put all the work (Albums and singles) in the folder and downloaded a picture af that artist, group and used it as the folder cover.

I really am a NERD, but i love musc and my Music Hard Drive looks very cool when you open it to see Alphabetical listings of all my music fully pictured...
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 14:49:36
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    @ bdaggers

I did this a year ago.

300 albums and 100 singles.

I even made a folder for each artist, put all the work (Albums and singles) in the folder and downloaded a picture af that artist, group and used it as the folder cover.

I really am a NERD, but i love musc and my Music Hard Drive looks very cool when you open it to see Alphabetical listings of all my music fully pictured...

Well, I did a similar thing a loooong time ago, before it was even reasonable to store a couple of albums on pc. I had an old b + w screen Apple laptop, I created a spreadsheet of all albums and all tracks, just so I could search them for a particular song. Not even able to hear the song - just know where it was in the collection.

What a saddo. That was back when time was in no short supply.
  • smoothpete 13 Jul 2007 14:54:37 31,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did mine last year, it's a fucking drag and no mistake. It took weeks, and I've only got 400 CDs or so.

I backed everything up on an external hard drive, and use an iPod, but even so I had to dick about with the files when I backed up so I'm not sure if I could import them back to iTunes if I get my iPod nicked. Which is why I'd rather take a knife to the guts than give up my presscciouuuss tunes
  • nickthegun 13 Jul 2007 14:55:43 58,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I ripped mine in about 2000/2001, which took fucking ages. I encoded them at 192 and it spanned over 3 hard drives and, thanks to a mighty P3 500, took longer than I want to think about.

Since a few years back I encode in OGG at 192 or 320.

I started doing my Vinyl a while ago, but just couldnt be arsed. THAT really is a ball ache.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ecureuil 13 Jul 2007 15:00:17 76,546 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    bdaggers wrote:

Nah, I still haven't done it. I'm getting through it slowly, because my computer won't play audio CD's, so if there's ever a CD I want to listen to I have to rip it beforehand.

What kind of computer is this?

Err.. my PC? It's a pretty nice(though ageing) machine, but I think I have a device conflict or something. It plays DVD's fine, other CD's fine, but I have two optical drives and neither of them want anything to do with playing direct from CD. I use Winamp, and that simply crashes, but other media players will BSOD me forcing me to hard reset. It's a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest, I usually end up torrenting my CD's instead of ripping them.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 15:01:06
    Seems like there is a market for a service to rip your cds for you .........

/ponders
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 15:01:54
    Oh, there are loads of companies that do that.

/Must stop posting before Googling.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 15:02:52
    "How much?
    Just 1 per CD plus 15 towards the cost of travel. We bill on completion. You only pay for successfully converted CDs. You only pay when you're happy.

How long does it take?
    A week. You can book a slot with us to be sure."

http://www.podserve.co.uk/ripservice.htm

1 a CD - fookin `Ell !!!

edit - Auto linky is working - wa hey !!

Edited by bdaggers at 15:06:13 13-07-2007
  • S.J.Rogers 13 Jul 2007 15:08:36 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If thats a tru cost, it really is bad.

300 albums would cost 315...

I would rather do it all again then pay someone that much to do it for me..!
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 15:12:46
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    If thats a tru cost, it really is bad.

300 albums would cost 315...

I would rather do it all again then pay someone that much to do it for me..!

ay.

But can you imagine doing it for someone else - a quid a throw may not be enough to stop the madness !
  • ecureuil 13 Jul 2007 15:18:42 76,546 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    What a pain in the arse. Why don't you fix it? :-)

I don't know how. ;_;
  • smoothpete 13 Jul 2007 15:18:51 31,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The one good thing to come out of the process was I ended up listening to loads of stuff I'd forgotten about
  • DaM 13 Jul 2007 15:19:40 12,906 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I must have start picking up threads psychically, I was thinking about this in the car an hour ago.....

I have hundreds of the bloody things...and vinyl too...thousands of that..... I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to downloading music....
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 15:22:09
    DaM wrote:
    I must have start picking up threads psychically, I was thinking about this in the car an hour ago.....

I have hundreds of the bloody things...and vinyl too...thousands of that..... I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to downloading music....

"I know what your are thinking"

wooooooo ..... ooooooooo !
  • smoothpete 13 Jul 2007 15:22:53 31,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mate has a fuckton of vinyl, he's looking into how to rip it all at the moment. If you think of any good ideas let me know, he's looking at doing it all manually in real time
  • Deleted user 13 July 2007 15:24:01
    smoothpete wrote:
    The one good thing to come out of the process was I ended up listening to loads of stuff I'd forgotten about

yup - thats true. Really looking forward to the end, when I can stand on a (digital) hill and survey my entire collection spread before me like the massed armies of Rome.

/plays too much RTS
  • Pooley 13 Jul 2007 15:30:47 1,507 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, WinAmp or iTunes?

Like iTunes, but I don't like the restrictions on encoding. I've recently been trying Winamp, which is a nice player but not as intuitive as iTunes.

Are there any other good media players that I should try?

I also want to rip all my CD's, primarily so I can box them all away and free up some space in my front room. Having them all on disk also means I can make some nice playlists. But, I'd rather do this just once as I have a fair few CD's.
  • ecureuil 13 Jul 2007 15:32:57 76,546 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Winamp is the best because of Milkdrop. Until it's available on other media players, I will never move from Winamp.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous