Is Britain Broken?

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous
  • TheSaint 10 Jul 2007 09:59:07 14,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tax breaks for married couples and a sharp rise in the price of alcohol are two measures being considered by the Tories to help mend Britain's "broken society".

Britain seems to have some major problems but not sure if I would go as far as to say that it is broken.
  • Pirotic Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:00:39 20,647 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    it's a ploy to bring in more tax.

you get married and save 10 a week, then your now-wife becomes a nagger and you end up having to spend most of the evenings down the local forking over twice as much to get yourself drunk.
  • repairmanjack 10 Jul 2007 10:01:41 6,042 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah. When you pick it up and shake it that rattling sound you can hear is just Elizabeth Duke jewellery.
  • Chopsen 10 Jul 2007 10:01:47 15,949 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's actually a 20 rax break for married people.

That's 960 a year.

Avarage cost of a wedding is 11,000
    (http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/planning/budget.asp)

That means you need to be married for 11000/960 = 11.4 (ish) years to break even.

The avarage duartion of a wedding is 11.6 years.
    (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/div0806.pdf)

hardly worth it really is it?
  • warlockuk 10 Jul 2007 10:01:52 19,163 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. So instead of fixing the cause of misery they increase the tax on the medicine :)

Cunts.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Pirotic Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:03:06 20,647 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    It's actually a 20 rax break for married people.

That's 960 a year.

Avarage cost of a wedding is 11,000
    (http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/planning/budget.asp)

That means you need to be married for 11000/960 = 11.4 (ish) years to break even.

(http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/div0806.pdf)

hardly worth it really is it?

great post, and a good point. hehe.
  • pjmaybe 10 Jul 2007 10:03:51 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Britain's been broken for years. It's not a money problem, it's just a general fuckarsed attitude in a lot of people who truly believe that they're the only person living on the planet, and everyone else is just some weird illusion.

Walk in a straight line down your average high street and see how many times people try to walk through you rather than round you.

Peej

• President_Weasel 10 Jul 2007 10:04:27 9,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's just the Tories being all Tory again.
    Everyone needs to be married, middle class, and living in the suburbs. In the 1950s. Maybe in one of those lovely Ealing comedies. Can't we all just live in one of those? Oh, and be white, obviously.

All we need to do to fix society is to hang all the single mums and the unemployed from lamp posts. If we only had the will! We could fix this broken country, this glorious motherland, this shining jewel of England!

dicks.

• Pirotic Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:05:04 20,647 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Peej

ever considered that you might just be.. ya know.. dead? I always did hear chains rattling everytime you posted :p
  • glaeken 10 Jul 2007 10:05:05 11,171 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Middle England believes we have a broken society so that is who such moves are designed to appeal to.

It's all part of the belief that everything is constantly getting worse which is nothing but a fallacy bought on by middle aged peoples nostalgia for their lost youth.
  • Chopsen 10 Jul 2007 10:11:06 15,949 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Walk in a straight line down your average high street and see how many times people try to walk through you rather than round you.

Maybe they're trying to walk in a straight line and see how many people walk in to them as well.
  • presh 10 Jul 2007 10:13:03 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was actually a really good article in the Economist a couple of weeks ago that discussed some research that found that despite the standard of living being very high in the UK, people are actually more unhappy than they used to be.

I agree with Peej that the levels of selfishness in London particulary are really depressing. What also pisses me off is the fact that nothing seems to work; the infrastructure of the whole place is slowly grinding to a halt.

Possibly this is becuase of political short-termism (the idea that the next government can fix the problems created by the incumbent), or the fact that nobody is brave enough to actually raise taxes enough to pay for things that need fixing.

I thought the recent Andrew Marr documentary on the Beeb was brilliant at putting some perspective on the UK's slow decline as an industrial power. I think we are still, as a nation, trying to work out what we should become instead.
  • Ajay 10 Jul 2007 10:15:14 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tend to walk through people rather than round them quite a lot.

In my defence, it's because the majority of people on pavements seem to spend their time weaving randomly about with a mobile phone glued to their head, or looking in the exact opposite direction to the one their slow, fat, meandering arses are travelling in.
  • Pirotic Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:16:26 20,647 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ohh thats reminded me.

Yesterday afternoon when I was out shopping when this really fat woman in a wheelchair (you know the sort, you wonder if they are really disabled or just incredibly lazy) kept wheeling herself into the back of me while I was walking up the street. The first time it happened I ignored it, the second time I turned around and looked at her and she said sorry, then she carried on doing it! Like crashing the foot-rest of her chair into my ankles, bloody hurt.

Was tempting to turn around and tip the cow over.

(sounds like a bastard).
  • Alastair 10 Jul 2007 10:19:03 15,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:

But, by walking in a straight line, you're becoming part of the problem. You seem to expect everyone else to walk around you....

Not as nice as I used to be

• afray 10 Jul 2007 10:19:26 2,251 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What I don't like is the stat that people in marriages stay together longer, therefore as soon as you get married you have a better relationship.

No, people who are married stay together longer because the unmarried people include couples who have only been together two weeks. It's a statistical anomaly, the same as the one which says 2 arms is an above-average number of arms.
  • sport 10 Jul 2007 10:22:57 12,711 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

Thats one helluva reception!
  • Pirotic Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:23:38 20,647 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    afray wrote:
    What I don't like is the stat that people in marriages stay together longer, therefore as soon as you get married you have a better relationship.

No, people who are married stay together longer because the unmarried people include couples who have only been together two weeks. It's a statistical anomaly, the same as the one which says 2 arms is an above-average number of arms.

I don't think thats what the statistic means tho, It's not saying that two people who are already married are more likely to stay together than two people who just met a few days ago. I think they are trying to say that statistics show that couples who get married as a result stay together longer than couples who stay as just partners.

God knows how they worked it out as every couple is different, but I think the result just shows that people are more willing to stay in an unhappy marriage than an unhappy relationship, so it's not a great statistic either way you look at it.
  • Lutz 10 Jul 2007 10:25:00 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be happy with this! 80 a month extra? That is gonna be handy... Hoep it gets put through.

Seriously, it's my council tax paid completly.

\o/
  • Ajay 10 Jul 2007 10:26:38 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You could also suggest that couples who decide to get married are more likely to be happy together in the first place and spend longer together anyway.
  • Load_2.0 10 Jul 2007 10:27:28 19,253 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah everyone else is a cunt.

Englishlol.
  • TwistidChimp 10 Jul 2007 10:27:54 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, welldone tory party. Tax breaks for married couples and pricier booze.. that will fix societies ills wont it. You fucking plums.
  • Retroid Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:29:36 44,725 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously, tax booze to the fucking moon and back, anything to stop / reduce the drunken fucks who think a good night out is to get utterly shitfaced.
  • Ajay 10 Jul 2007 10:29:44 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MARRY AND REPRODUCE.
  • kincaide 10 Jul 2007 10:29:54 5,067 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Britain's been broken for years. It's not a money problem, it's just a general fuckarsed attitude in a lot of people who truly believe that they're the only person living on the planet, and everyone else is just some weird illusion.

Peej

Peej - have you been watching that Verve video again ...
  • afray 10 Jul 2007 10:30:44 2,251 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

TwistedChimp rambled:
    Yes, welldone tory party. Tax breaks for married couples and pricier booze.. that will fix societies ills wont it. You fucking plums.

Hey, they had a year-long review into it, they must know what they're doing!

I like that Cameron isn't obliged to take this on as policy - God forbid he should have to actually commit himself to something.

I feel no spiritual need to marry my partner of 7 years, but we do like the idea of a wedding as just a big party where everyone gives us presents. :) Probably will one day, once we've won the lottery. Certainly won't stop us having kids- whatever my gran says!

Edited by afray at 10:32:08 10-07-2007
  • caligari 10 Jul 2007 10:33:55 17,044 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If Britain is made by Microsoft, then yes, it's broken.

(glol!)
  • Ajay 10 Jul 2007 10:34:29 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Seriously, tax booze to the fucking moon and back, anything to stop / reduce the drunken fucks who think a good night out is to get utterly shitfaced.
    Getting utterly shitfaced doesn't automatically equate to being a nuisance, though. It's like suggesting a massive tax on music to prevent people blaring stereos too loudly - it's use of the 'material' rather than an inherent trait of it.
  • PES_Fanboy 10 Jul 2007 10:34:48 15,823 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is nothing wrong with your fine country - well, perhaps the cost of living is a bit high but that's the price you pay to choose to live here.

Love it, love the people, love the culture, love living here.
  • kinggid 10 Jul 2007 10:37:14 303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Retroid wrote:

I agree that is probably the best way to go, it's just a shame that the rest of us who just want to go out for a civilised drink have to pay more because of the drunken fucks. Raise tax in city centres perhaps?
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous