Disc Tray Sticking

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • repairmanjack 10 Jul 2007 08:59:52 5,987 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My thirteen month old machine (yeah, I know) has gone from being perfectly fine one day, to having some trouble sliding the disc tray out. About five times yesterday I would press the eject button, for the opening noise to begin, and the tray to move about a millimetre. After a few seconds my 360 would try to read the disc it thought I'd put in.

Definately not a problem with the eject button as it does it when I use the pad to open the machine as well. I found pressing the tray in seems to free it up and allow it to eject, but I guess this is the beginning of the end of my machine.

I'm not going to get it fixed for free, am I? Has anyone else had this?
  • Mashum 10 Jul 2007 09:21:01 154 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have the same problem, the tray gets stuck on something just as it tries to eject -it doesn't move more than a few millimetres.

To open it I have to push in and to the right on the front of the tray at the right hand side - this seems to unhook it from whatever it's getting stuck on.

Interestingly it only does this when the tray is empty, never when there's a disk inside.

-- edit.

Edited by Mashum at 09:21:36 10-07-2007
  • Vroom 10 Jul 2007 09:24:37 4,644 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had this a good few times with my launch machine. Also only when empty.

Vroom

• silentbob 10 Jul 2007 09:26:52 28,947 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had this a couple of times. Doubt I could get it to happen on demand thoughm which makes a swap out seem unlikely.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Retroid Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:17:59 44,503 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently the PS3 has a LOT of disk tray faults. I've yet to hear of a working one.
  • Phattso Moderator 10 Jul 2007 10:30:43 13,195 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And I always thought you were a real repair man, Jack! ;(

Mine sticks occasionally, or rather looks like it catches something when it's coming in and out, but has never actually failed to eject yet.

If/when mine goes, I suspect that's what it'll be though.
  • Stickman 10 Jul 2007 10:59:52 29,657 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine does this every time. Started off doing it occasionally, now it's constant. I was able to open it by pressing in certain places as mentioned, but now that doesn't work either.

I've now resorted to a Fonzie like smack of the fist on the top of the machine which frees it up no problem. Clearly it's a shortcut to breaking my machine, but hey, what can you do?

It's a recognised fault in Holland apparently, but over here Microsoft won't replace your machine like they will for three red lights.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Messiac 10 Jul 2007 11:42:36 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats certainly a strange one but I am not in the least bit surprised in the sudden change from a perfect working machine to one thats FUBAR.

I was playing Shadowrun one night, had a 3 red light 360 the next morning. Luckily due to the nature of the fault I got a brand new machine.

Have you tried ejecting the disc with the machine on its side or flat?
  • TwistidChimp 10 Jul 2007 11:43:49 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, got the same problem with mine, doesn't seem to want to open, not sure how I solve it. Usually pressing the eject button about 20 times and swearing a bit does the trick.
  • DUFFKING 10 Jul 2007 11:54:34 7,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine only does it when vertical, but I get disk read errors when it's horizontal :/ My Xbox 359 does the exact same thing.
  • RichGL 10 Jul 2007 12:35:55 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine did this when vertical and I also got disc read errors, now it's flat both went away.
  • DanMW 10 Jul 2007 15:17:06 817 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mashum wrote:
    I have the same problem, the tray gets stuck on something just as it tries to eject -it doesn't move more than a few millimetres.

To open it I have to push in and to the right on the front of the tray at the right hand side - this seems to unhook it from whatever it's getting stuck on.

Interestingly it only does this when the tray is empty, never when there's a disk inside.

Same for me, mine was like this from day one when MS replaced my RRoD 360.

Mine also tries to open itself when I'm in the middle of a game, which takes me back to the blade menu, this can be very annoying.

Edited by DanMW at 15:17:46 10-07-2007
  • Short-Round 21 Mar 2013 01:18:29 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    These Microsoft jokers really ran with the idea of planned obsolescence. I've gone through the rrod nonsense in the past, now I'm getting this drive problem all the time (except when there's a disc in the drive). It's out of warranty now, do MS do a trade-in thing, where I could send this Elite back and pay extra to get a Slim back? Or has anyone had experience of trading in unhealthy consoles with Game?
  • xYOSSARIANx 28 Mar 2013 18:57:37 119 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mines been doing this for 2 years now. I have a pair of nail scissors next to my Xbox that I use (push between right side of disc tray and case) to lever the disc tray slightly to the left, while hitting the eject button.

Works a treat.

My Xbox is vertical btw.

Edit, just seen how old this thread is........

Edited by xYOSSARIANx at 18:58:56 28-03-2013

Edited by xYOSSARIANx at 18:59:18 28-03-2013

PSN ReggieMcMuffin

• MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Mar 2013 19:16:35 37,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funnily enough my Xbox has started doing this occasionally as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next