Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Page 3

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• Tonka 21 Aug 2007 10:21:34 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /pre-orders

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• JuanKerr 21 Aug 2007 10:22:43 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Reading the mouthwatering Zelda Review on the frontpage made me think.

What would a true Wii Zelda play like if it was made in a similar fashion? Have Capcom pre empted Nintendo with Zack & Wiki?

That's a really good point. As Nintendo has basically said that TP is the last 'conventional' Zelda, surely a point and click style adventure is at least one of the ways forward for the franchise.

It amazes me that it's taken so long for a point and click adventure to be released in the first place to be honest. Really looking forward to Zack & Wiki.
  • Cloudane 21 Aug 2007 10:25:06 1,974 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    A lot of screens are in 4:3. Don't tell me this game wont support 480p 16:9.

Can somebody answer this question please.

First Kororinpa then Mario Party 8 and now this?
  • JuanKerr 21 Aug 2007 10:32:54 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:

With the effort they've made to make the game so nice visually, I'd be surprised if there was no widescreen...

I was watching the videos on gametrailers at the weekend (yes, I have no life) and my word they look pretty. I love the art style - really reminds me of Wind Waker.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 21 Aug 2007 10:42:31 7,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A lot of the screenshots on IGN are widescreen.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Aug 2007 10:43:40 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given that it's Capcom I'd be astonished if it didn't have a proper 16:9 mode. I mean, it's not like it's Bioshock or anything, is it? :-D
  • Tonka 21 Aug 2007 10:57:34 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This little spoilerfest is 16:9 AND its off screen cam corded proper real deal footage so I guess whoever it was that started harping about 4:6 can go suck a duck.

• JuanKerr 21 Aug 2007 11:04:27 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    This little spoilerfest is 16:9 AND its off screen cam corded proper real deal footage so I guess whoever it was that started harping about 4:6 can go suck a duck.

That looks really quite impressive and the art style alone means this is a must buy for me.
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Aug 2007 11:12:17 6,492 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, that is a handsome game- all the little swirls and dust clouds etc, great stuff.
  • Cloudane 21 Aug 2007 11:12:32 1,974 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    so I guess whoever it was that started harping about 4:6 can go suck a duck.

Geez, I was only asking...

I just get a bit fed-up of having to play around with my HDTV settings to get the right screen ratio for non-4:3 games but thankfully, it isn't the case with this rather lovely looking game.
  • JuanKerr 21 Aug 2007 11:14:53 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it me, or does the game appear to borrow heavily from Zelda? The map looked almost identical, as does the treasure chest. Even the way the little fella held up the contents of the chest to the overhead camera was uncannily similar to the way Link does it.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing by any means, it was just an observation.

My word, it looks pretty doesn't it?
  • Tonka 21 Aug 2007 11:26:25 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cloudane wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

I'm sorry. It was actually aimed at myself since I was the one that brought it up. And I agree. MS got it right when they demanded 16:9 support.

• rock27gr 22 Aug 2007 23:42:25 5,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Cloudane wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

I'm sorry. It was actually aimed at myself since I was the one that brought it up. And I agree. MS got it right when they demanded 16:9 support.

Well they didn't get it THAT right according to some people (eyes that Bioshock thread).
  • JuanKerr 24 Aug 2007 08:58:37 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Bizarre Trailer

That tralier made even less sense to me - I watched it without audio.

Bizzare trailer or not, this game is looking fantastic.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 28 Aug 2007 13:15:44 10,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    YAAARRRRRRRR!!!!

...watch this space!
  • JetSetWilly 28 Aug 2007 13:21:19 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Click on the fish! But don't drop that tuna!
  • MoGamer2006 28 Aug 2007 14:48:40 975 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Managed to blag my way into Nintendo's trade booth at Leipzig GC and have a good crack on this...

It's lovely.

And I mean, *really* lovely. Graphics, controls, puzzles, the lot - all exemplary.

This has shot up into my list of 'must haves' - if you were a graphic adventurer back in the day, you will love this.
  • JuanKerr 28 Aug 2007 15:00:23 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    Managed to blag my way into Nintendo's trade booth at Leipzig GC and have a good crack on this...

It's lovely.

And I mean, *really* lovely. Graphics, controls, puzzles, the lot - all exemplary.

This has shot up into my list of 'must haves' - if you were a graphic adventurer back in the day, you will love this.

What were the controls like? Did they feel natural and not just shoe-horned in?
  • Razz 28 Aug 2007 15:02:10 60,782 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shoe Horned? o_O

The game was created with the controller in mind, exclusively for the Wii.. how on Earth could it be "Shoe horned"? o_O

o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• rock27gr 28 Aug 2007 15:04:32 5,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's already in the top of my list (well after the 2 big ones).

I still think the name is shit though, much preffered the original one.
  • Deleted user 28 August 2007 15:05:53
    Definitely the only game I'm looking at with considerable glee and interest for my Wii, over the next... um... year... :(

Looks great fun! :D
  • KingOfSpain 28 Aug 2007 15:08:17 5,187 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This looks really really good. Its right up there with Mario in my Wii wish list.
  • JuanKerr 28 Aug 2007 15:10:02 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Shoe Horned? o_O

The game was created with the controller in mind, exclusively for the Wii.. how on Earth could it be "Shoe horned"? o_O

o_O

Okay, that was an extremely poor choice of words. What I want to know is whether it feels natural and whether the controls actually benefit the gaming experience, as oppose to feeling like they are being used for the sake of it.

Happy now?
  • JuanKerr 28 Aug 2007 15:10:34 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:

2 big ones.

/ sniggers
  • Tonka 28 Aug 2007 15:12:44 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Definitely the only game I'm looking at with considerable glee and interest for my Wii, over the next... um... year... :(

Looks great fun! :D

What no No More Heroes love?
    Heathen.

• MoGamer2006 28 Aug 2007 15:13:57 975 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Controls were great. It's all with the remote - you guide a star cursor around the screen and click on the floor to walk/run there, or click on objects to interact with them (when the cursor's over them, they 'rattle' to show you can manhandle them.

Some objects require Wiimote 'actions' to be made - the view changes to a fixed first-person one, as if seeing the action from the hero's (Zack's?) eyes.

On one level you had to scoop water into a cup from out of a font, which you achieved by making scooping actions with your hand. It was really responsive and beautifully intuitive.

On another, you had to use a magnifying glass to melt some ice, moving the glass in and out to focus the light properly. Again, it behaved just like you'd expect it to in 'real life' - very sweet.

I wouldn't say these action feel tacked on. Working out what you have to do in a given situation is all part of the fun. And then beyond that there's the more 'traditional' "Pull this to activate that" and "Use X on Y" puzzling.

I suppose the only thing that graphic adventure purist's might find a little disappointing is the level-based nature of the game - instead of on ongoing narrative, the action is split into self-contained bite-sized chunks.
  • JuanKerr 28 Aug 2007 15:16:27 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    Controls were great. It's all with the remote - you guide a star cursor around the screen and click on the floor to walk/run there, or click on objects to interact with them (when the cursor's over them, they 'rattle' to show you can manhandle them.

Some objects require Wiimote 'actions' to be made - the view changes to a fixed first-person one, as if seeing the action from the hero's (Zack's?) eyes.

On one level you had to scoop water into a cup from out of a font, which you achieved by making scooping actions with your hand. It was really responsive and beautifully intuitive.

On another, you had to use a magnifying glass to melt some ice, moving the glass in and out to focus the light properly. Again, it behaved just like you'd expect it to in 'real life' - very sweet.

I wouldn't say these action feel tacked on. Working out what you have to do in a given situation is all part of the fun. And then beyond that there's the more 'traditional' "Pull this to activate that" and "Use X on Y" puzzling.

I suppose the only thing that graphic adventure purist's might find a little disappointing is the level-based nature of the game - instead of on ongoing narrative, the action is split into self-contained bite-sized chunks.

Thanks for the response - sounds superb and I'm looking forward to it even more now.

Does it look as good as the vids/screenshots suggest?
  • MoGamer2006 28 Aug 2007 15:22:42 975 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is absolutely flickin' gorgeous. It's got a fantastic 'chunky' art style that suits the Wii down the ground - everything's really vibrant and vivid, and the character animation is excellent.

I'd say it's only a notch below Mario Galaxy in the "Oooh, that's pretty" stakes.

Indeed, between this, SMG and MP3 I'd say the Wii is really starting to show what it can do when used properly.

• JuanKerr 28 Aug 2007 15:26:03 36,205 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice one. Damn, I can't wait for this - annoyingly, it is being released very close to Mario Galaxy and I will have to wait until the New Year to get it. It would be a travesty to neglect this game ...
  • TheBear 28 Aug 2007 15:33:01 4,503 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    annoyingly, it is being released very close to Mario Galaxy .

I couldn't find a release date for Z&W, what is it?
  • Page

of 24 First / Last