• Page

of 38 First / Last

Previous
  • tonynibbles 3 Jul 2007 14:00:22 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was just reading this blog on IGN

Q: When are we getting a demo?
    NM: I can confirm that we are, of course, going to be releasing a demo for Heavenly Sword…and soon! This will be downloadable via the Playstation Network…so keep an eye out for this in the very near future…and i mean very near future!"

That sounds positive. Am looking forward to a decent demo on the store and hearing 'very soon' makes me think it has to be in the next couple of weeks.
  • pjmaybe 3 Jul 2007 14:00:52 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pleasepleasepleaasepleasepleaspleaspleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Peej

• Blerk Moderator 3 Jul 2007 14:00:53 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At the risk of incurring further wrath from the forum today, I've got a horrible feeling about this one. Still.
  • [maven] 3 Jul 2007 14:07:59 5,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Put me in the same boat of "technically great, slightly worried about the game", but then very little other than screenshots and cinematic trailers has been shown to judge the game from...
  • pjmaybe 3 Jul 2007 14:21:18 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Put me in the "I enjoy seeing the female lead hacking her enemies between the legs." category.

Yep me too.

Shallow IS my middle name.

Peej

• tonynibbles 3 Jul 2007 14:22:33 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Put me in the "I enjoy seeing the female lead hacking her enemies between the legs." category.

Put me inbetween the female leads' legs.

Edited by tonynibbles at 14:23:06 03-07-2007
  • TripSkyway 3 Jul 2007 14:24:23 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm in the wait and see camp. Looks ace graphically, but they've shown so little (or I've not been looking in the right places) that I barely know what the games about.
  • Psychotext 3 Jul 2007 14:25:43 54,798 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    tonynibbles wrote:
    Put me inbetween the female leads' legs.
    \o/

Looking forward to the game, but the shaky cam footage of someone actually playing the game has left me unimpressed. The videos they've released have looked fantabulous though.
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Jul 2007 14:27:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Footage showing several minutes of gameplay.
    Why do we always see the same fight? Is there any more of the game aside from that little arena? :-)
  • Psychotext 3 Jul 2007 14:29:12 54,798 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Major, major framerate issues on that vid. That had better just be the way the vid is working.
  • Psychotext 3 Jul 2007 14:44:44 54,798 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    [edit] Hmm... that's not the vid

Edited by Psychotext at 14:46:22 03-07-2007
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Jul 2007 14:45:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    Well that little arena and the original one with the tables and stuff :-) But where's the shakycam footage? Were people referring to the old vid?
    That's actually a different arena? That doesn't reassure me much. :-)

To be serious for a minute, I was kinda hoping for a more "God of War" experience - smashing things in the face is all well and good, but without a bit of exploring and puzzling and stuff it's just... well... smashing things in the face. Repeatedly. Which (for me at least) gets old pretty fast.
  • Psychotext 3 Jul 2007 14:46:55 54,798 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was another shaky cam vid though... you could actually see the whole screen and someone playing it. Where's the link gone. =(
  • Psychotext 3 Jul 2007 14:49:16 54,798 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vid on YouTube

In game starts at 1:10. It's not old.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:00:52 03-07-2007
  • Aretak 3 Jul 2007 14:52:50 10,374 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    To be serious for a minute, I was kinda hoping for a more "God of War" experience - smashing things in the face is all well and good, but without a bit of exploring and puzzling and stuff it's just... well... smashing things in the face. Repeatedly. Which (for me at least) gets old pretty fast.
    I'm sure it'll have that. There's really not been a lot of footage released so far, and it's understandable that that which has been shown has focused on the fighting, because that makes for better viewing than someone wandering around for a bit and opening a chest (for example).
  • TripSkyway 3 Jul 2007 14:57:26 2,584 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    The lip syncing and expressions are ace.
  • Aretak 3 Jul 2007 14:58:12 10,374 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    Ahab wrote:
    Can't really say how it'll play from a vid really, but the slowdown looks quite bad.
    I was assuming that was an issue with the vid and not the game?
    It almost certainly is. Internet videos are a horrible way to judge a game's framerate in general.
  • [maven] 3 Jul 2007 15:02:35 5,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trip SkyWay wrote:
    Mapster wrote:
    The lip syncing and expressions are ace.

I loved the eyes in the cutscenes (i.e. the look of the specular highlights and the movement).
  • Aretak 3 Jul 2007 15:20:03 10,374 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahab wrote:
    Yeah, maybe, but it looked very much like game slowdown, always in the busiest moments.
    Seemed to me it was more the moments when the camera was making fast movements, which is much more likely to be the video struggling, rather than the game. When the camera was reasonably static there's no slowdown, even when there's a lot going on.
    Also, I didn't like this from the QA:
    Q: Have you managed to push it to 1080p/60frames yet?
    NM: Heavenly Sword will be delivered in 720p HD
    1080p is never going to happen with a game that looks as good as this. The whole 1080p/real high defintion stuff was just Sony spouting bollocks as per usual. As for whether it'll run in 60fps, he didn't comment. You choose to take that as a sign it's going to have problems. I choose to take it as a sign that they're still working hard to get it running at 60fps and don't want to make promises that won't come true. I'd settle for a solid 30fps anyway.
  • Cappy 3 Jul 2007 15:30:34 12,088 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest I'm not really sure why Sony thought it would be a good idea to pour resources into a game like this.

Its clear that the hack n' slasher/adventure genre had already reached saturation point years ago. God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden etc. etc. etc. The finished article is going to have to be absolutely amazing to even stand out. The resources would have been better used trying to bring the PS3 something distinctive and new.

One of the most disappointing things about this generation is that Sony don't seem to be putting money into unproven and off the wall games like they used to. There were a lot of failures and games that were interesting but don't quite work such as Ka/Mr. Mosquito. But there were also titles such as Vib Ribbon, Parappa the Rapper, Intelligent Qube/Kurushi and ICO.

I bet the resources soaked up by Heavenly Sword could have funded a lot of Vib Ribbon scale projects. At best Heavenly Sword can be a competent entry into an already overcrowded genre.
  • ThreeOutsideDown 3 Jul 2007 15:33:08 1,011 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    At the risk of incurring further wrath from the forum today, I've got a horrible feeling about this one. Still.

i think it's going to be a case of nice graphics, shame about the gameplay mechanics.
  • [maven] 3 Jul 2007 15:34:28 5,185 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Confirmed as 30 fps (at 720p)
    (which of course doesn't say anything about slow-down or AA (supposedly there'll be some), but as they say optimization happens at the very end)...
  • Page

of 38 First / Last

Previous