Xbox 360 repair time - now estimated at 25 working days!!!

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • Fatfish 2 Jul 2007 23:10:49 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry if this has been mentioned already somewhere else, but thought I'd let anyone who's affected know.

I've just spent 45 minutes on the phone to MS customer service arguing with one of their customer service reps. I sent my 360 off for repair on the 21st June and was informed it would be returned within 15 working days. I phoned this evening just to check on the status of the repairs, only to be greeted by an automated response saying that repair times have now increased to 25 working days (5 weeks)!! Absolutely unbelievable - why the hell did I pay the extra 60 to extend my warranty for 2 more years? Yes they'll repair it, but they're obviously not too concerned about how long it'll take once they've got your money.

What got me even more annoyed was that the customer service rep did nothing but quote the script she was given - there was no concern about my complaint. No offer to ensure somebody would ring me back to discuss it further - even when I insisted she email her supervisor to contact me, she said she couldn't promise that anyone would get back to me. She wouldn't give me any contact details to complain to, except the xbox.com website. I asked her to memo my account - which she has supposedly done - and log a complaint for me, but I'll be suprised if I hear anything back.

I was always a little dubious about MS customer services, but have had no reason to complain up to this point - however, her complete lack of concern and willingness to escalate the matter to her supervisors at my request just left me feeling like I had been completely fleeced by MS - or otherwise put, shafted and ignored.

I appreciate that I'm just one voice of many thousands who have and are suffering the same issue and treatment by MS (and I'm sure there'll be plenty of you who'll tell me to shut up because the stories getting old now), but I feel so incencesed by the whole situation, I felt I needed to vent my frustration and share my lament.

Does anyone know of any organised sites or petitions trying to get MS to acknowledge these issues? Or any sites that offer advice on how to progress with matters like this to reach an acceptable resolution? What about Trading Standards? Failing that, is Watchdog still collating information? Surely someone is trying to address these problems with MS?
  • heyyo 2 Jul 2007 23:12:55 14,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Summer.

The best time to go 5 weeks without a 360
  • JYM60 2 Jul 2007 23:15:18 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It takes 25 days for a fucked 360 wrapped up in a towel to start working again?

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Deleted user 2 July 2007 23:17:15
    It's not so much the stories getting old... it worries me that they're doing this, trust me. It's just new threads when there's hundreds to follow information on through, is all.

/is pedantic in his old age

/dusts corner of EG forums and tuts loudly
  • Aretak 2 Jul 2007 23:22:43 10,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine has been away for 29 days now. I'll be buying the bare minimum of 360 games in future (just the exclusives which I really, really want), and everything multi-platform for the PS3.

Fuck Microsoft.
  • Fatfish 2 Jul 2007 23:24:03 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I completely agree with you squarejaw, but thought the fact that the repair time had dramatically increased warranted a thread of it's own. I'm happy for the mods to move the thread or integrate it somewhere else if they feel it's apt.

/lifts EG sofa

/hoovers under it

Thanks heyyo! - great insight there. Because I'm not currently missing out on playing Flatout:UC or The Darkness at all. And neither will I want to pick up Bioshock when that comes out later this month. Still, you're right - I should spend my hot summer evenings sat with friends sipping long, cool drinks in the sunshine........oh, hang on a sec...... ;)

Suppose I should be thankful we haven't had any flooding round here though.
  • Fatfish 2 Jul 2007 23:26:45 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Aretak - 29 days or 29 working days? The origial 15 day wait I was quoted was 15 working days - so 21-23 days in total. I'm now looking at around 35-37 days in total.
  • SomaticSense 2 Jul 2007 23:27:29 8,179 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's unfair of you to have a go at the woman on the other end of the line. Believe it or not, she might actually have been genuinely powerless to help you herself, as she'd have been on the lowest rung of the ladder and would've just had to have done what she was told to do.

For example, it's likely that the only place she could direct you to was the Xbox.com site, was because that was probably the only place of contact her superiors actually gave her. She can only help you with the tools at her disposal, and she can't very well do much more if she hasn't been given the ncessary tools or been appropriately trained to do so, can she?

You've never worked in a call centre I presume? They work on a scrictly need to know basis (well, what the superiors think are need to know anyway). I've worked briefly in a call centre, I had to get out because of it.

Not having a go, as you have a right to be pissed. I was at MS's appalling customer service as well. But it is not the people on the phones who are at fault, it is MS themselves you should be pissed at. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by SomaticSense at 23:30:39 02-07-2007
  • Aretak 2 Jul 2007 23:28:00 10,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fatfish wrote:
    @ Aretak - 29 days or 29 working days? The origial 15 day wait I was quoted was 15 working days - so 21-23 days in total. I'm now looking at around 35-37 days in total.
    Just 29 days, total. I still don't consider that anything like acceptable.
  • Aretak 2 Jul 2007 23:30:32 10,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I think it's unfair of you to have a go at the woman on the other end of the line. Believe it or not, she might actually have been genuinely powerless to help you herself, as she'd have been on the lowest rung of the ladder.
    Their customer service people have the power to hand out compensation in the form of games and accessories if they wish to. I've read plenty of stories about people being offered a choice of shit like Kameo, Perfect Dark and such to compensate them for Microsoft's worthless buffoonery.
  • SomaticSense 2 Jul 2007 23:32:32 8,179 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I think it's unfair of you to have a go at the woman on the other end of the line. Believe it or not, she might actually have been genuinely powerless to help you herself, as she'd have been on the lowest rung of the ladder.
    Their customer service people have the power to hand out compensation in the form of games and accessories if they wish to. I've read plenty of stories about people being offered a choice of shit like Kameo, Perfect Dark and such to compensate them for Microsoft's worthless buffoonery.

That would be at the discrection of their line manager. I highly doubt that the dogsbodys would be at liberty to give away free games as they see fit. Mega-rich companies just don't give that kind of power to people like that.
  • agparrot 2 Jul 2007 23:32:55 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    Summer.

The best time to go 5 weeks without a 360

Yeah, the weather has been Grrrrreat!
  • Deleted user 2 July 2007 23:34:01
    Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how shit that 360 banner ad on the site at the moment is?

I mean, what is it? Someone jumping off a building, someone committing suicide? One thing's for sure, he definitely isn't mastering his environment. Nor is he thinking beyond boundaries; he's in the foetal position FFS.

Who designs this crap?
  • JYM60 2 Jul 2007 23:34:19 16,813 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aretak wrote:

I've read plenty of stories about people being offered a choice of shit like Kameo, Perfect Dark and such to compensate them for Microsoft's worthless buffoonery.
    lol

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• morriss 2 Jul 2007 23:34:23 70,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got mine back within 10 days, a two-month XBL thingy and a free wireless adapter.

:)
  • bauhaus 2 Jul 2007 23:38:33 3,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I got mine back within 10 days, a two-month XBL thingy and a free wireless adapter.

Did you rim them or something?
  • morriss 2 Jul 2007 23:39:37 70,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No. Denmark > UK
  • phAge 2 Jul 2007 23:43:09 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    No. Denmark > UK
    QFTMFT!
  • agparrot 2 Jul 2007 23:43:23 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how shit that 360 banner ad on the site at the moment is?

I mean, what is it? Someone jumping off a building, someone committing suicide? One thing's for sure, he definitely isn't mastering his environment. Nor is he thinking beyond boundaries; he's in the foetal position FFS.

Who designs this crap?

They've just found out how long it will take to repair their 360, natch!
  • morriss 2 Jul 2007 23:43:43 70,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    No. Denmark > UK
    QFTMFT!
    \o/
  • Deleted user 2 July 2007 23:45:51
    Meh, patriotism is for homosexuals and the Danish.

Two demographics which just so happen to overlap quite neatly.
  • morriss 2 Jul 2007 23:47:07 70,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But I'm English! \o/
  • Deleted user 2 July 2007 23:50:50
    TRAITOR!
  • Fatfish 2 Jul 2007 23:54:53 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Splitter.

• Fatfish 4 Jul 2007 00:43:45 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, I phoned up MS customer services again today and after some discussion with a customer service rep, I was finally put throught to one of his supervisors (probably just the woman sat next to him at the time). A scottish lady who, whilst friendly enough, didn't really help my cause at all. Apparently, the increase in repair time is not due to the large number of recently faulty machines, but it's actually just a simple change in MS's policies. Believe that, and you'll believe anything.

Anyway, the long and short of it is - she's given me a slightly more direct (only slightly mind!) email address for me to submit a complaint to, and has offered me a free copy of Forza 2. Despite the fact I have no interest in playing Forza, it wasn't something I was going to say no to - I did make a point of stating that it in no way resolved my issue nor would it deter me from taking the matter further.

So, I will be submitting my complaint tomorrow morning and with any luck, I'll have a response by the end of the week - if I'm lucky. I won't hold my breath.
  • Fatfish 4 Jul 2007 03:56:53 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, just spent the last 3 hours drafting a letter of complaint to MS. Will proof read it tomorrow and then post it on the forum for all to read - please feel free to make any suggestions. I'm not great when it comes to writing these kind of things, so any sensible help would be much appreciated. Be warned, it's about 3 pages long!
  • MikeP 4 Jul 2007 08:18:04 1,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fatfish wrote:
    Ok, just spent the last 3 hours drafting a letter of complaint to MS. Will proof read it tomorrow and then post it on the forum for all to read - please feel free to make any suggestions. I'm not great when it comes to writing these kind of things, so any sensible help would be much appreciated. Be warned, it's about 3 pages long!

Well even before I read it I'd suggest you cut the length down.

If you have a lot of points you want to make split it in two, with a summary of your grievance and what you want them to do about it on one page in handy bullet-point form, and then attach the rest as backup.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Tonka 4 Jul 2007 08:45:35 20,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    No. Denmark > UK

I think the reason is more
    UK pop 60,209,500
    Dk pop 5,447,084

I know which customer center I would rather run

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 4 July 2007 12:54:20
    Don't bother. I mailed them complaining too. Yo will just get a mail along the lines of this a few weeks later:

"Thankyou for your email which must have taken some time to write. Please call the xbox customer support line if you wish to discuss this further."

They have spent years building up a good reputation and image in the industry in general what with all the blogging and being helpful to other blog sites in covering new and stuff. Then they are wiping it out and then some by their failure to address this issue. Can't understand why they are ruining all their hardwork, but it's their loss in the long run. It may not effect the casual gamer who buys into the hardware years down the line when no doubt the problems will have been fixed, but next generion round this will be a major issue with early adopters who they need on board to help get the platform off the ground in the first year.

It will come back to bite them in the next generation.

Edited by GiantHaystax at 13:07:36 04-07-2007
  • DanMW 4 Jul 2007 13:22:11 824 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes it seems no matter what you write you'll always get that message of we need more details, phone to discuss further. Useless.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous