Replaying Super Metroid

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Razz 28 Jun 2007 23:33:58 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow.

This game is still one of the greatest games ever created.

I've only just completed the first bit and I'm losing myself to it already. It's bloody rock 'ard though! I can't believe I whittled away a summer to this and completed it as a young teen. Now I can't remember a thing from it! It's like playing it for the first time again. :)

It seems a bit more free form than the GBA metroids. The puzzles are bit less obvious too. And hardly linear, or so it currently seems. I reckon I'm gong to get at least 40-50 hours playtime from this at the very least,

Lately I've been sucking at games and I reckon Super Metroid is going to be a great teacher. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 28 Jun 2007 23:35:35 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted at 03:09:24 15-07-2007

• Deleted user 28 June 2007 23:38:28
    Christ I loved Super Metroid but I am absolutely certain I wouldn't have a hope of finishing it these days. I just suck is the problem.

But yeah, it's bloody brilliant.
  • IMadeThis 28 Jun 2007 23:40:46 1,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yes. You not waiting for VC release to re-play? I know I am. The bit I always remember is running backwards thru the map & forwards not knowing to do & pretty stuck, then stopping and having an epiphany whilst stood in a (which I didn't realise at the time) glass corridor and opening a whole new underwater area. Brought a smile to my face it did.

Ah, the good old days where players guides weren't so easily accessible. Currently going through a similar game on the DS (Castlevania - Portrait Of Ruin) and was determined to use my own brain all the way thru but I caved in last night, and may need to again. Still, it's got plenty of 'ah...clever' moments in it.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2007 23:47:55
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    I miss the old days when games didn't draw big purple lines showing you exactly where to go

Heh, you say that, but didn't Super Metroid come bundles with a strategy guide in the box?
  • famous_roy 28 Jun 2007 23:48:13 4,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love that game so so much, played through it last year non-stop. One of my all time faves, the sense of exploration, progression and above all isolation, is unparralelled.

Gaming perfection

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Razz 28 Jun 2007 23:51:25 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is that that huge one you got in the box?

• Telepathic.Geometry 28 Jun 2007 23:53:27 11,263 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh Razz you bastard! I STILL haven't played this game. I quietly hoping that it comes out on VC alongside Corruption. /crosses fingers /crosses toes /crosses penii /has diphalic tartarus

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 28 June 2007 23:54:43
    Razz wrote:
    Is that that huge one you got in the box?

The sword or the strategy guide? :)

TBH in these days of barely being able to walk out of a game shop without a strategy guide bundled with your latest game purchase it seems less odd but at the time I remember thinking it was very strange. I kinda wish they hadn't done it as although I was pretty strong about it I did fall back on the guide once or twice which I regretted instantly afterwards.
  • Razz 29 Jun 2007 00:00:47 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Oh Razz you bastard! I STILL haven't played this game. I quietly hoping that it comes out on VC alongside Corruption. /crosses fingers /crosses toes /crosses penii /has diphalic tartarus
    :o

You never... you haven't... OMG!

You sicken me. ;_;

/removes T.G from friends list

• Razz 29 Jun 2007 00:08:47 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know. This has to be one of the best looking 16bit 2D games I've ever played. It's so damn gorgeous! To think it's 13 years old!

• Telepathic.Geometry 29 Jun 2007 00:10:34 11,263 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz in playing with 13 year old's bits shocker!!!

• Razz 29 Jun 2007 00:19:04 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah Feck ye! It's late... time for the bed. :p

Edited by Razz at 03:12:16 15-07-2007

• ProfessorLesser 29 Jun 2007 00:33:49 19,352 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-)

Nothing to add.

Except - I got this on a whim because it came bundled with A Link to the Past in a boxset, and I recognised the Zelda franchise from Link's Awakening (which was my first ever game). This was way back when I was ohhhh about 10. I didn't quite understand the gravity of what I had just done or how it would affect my life, but... wow. Super Metroid was the (joint) second game I ever owned.

Man, that's 3 games to really open your gaming life with, eh? That boxset was the single greatest purchase I have ever and will ever make. It defines my childhood :-)
  • GrandpaUlrira 29 Jun 2007 00:52:56 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bloody hell, Prof. That is one hell of a start. Did you ever think that all games were going to be as good as those three? What was the game that opened your eyes to the cruel world?

The thing that slightly broke the GBA Metroids for me (as awesome as they were) was the hand-holding. It took away from the experience of exploration, for me.

One of the other masterful things about Super Metroid was the way the world linked together in many places, and so felt like a living, breathing place. And as has already been said, those moments when you've spent 20 minutes ambling around, discovering bits and bobs but nothing major, and then you have an epiphany about where to go next are some of my best gaming memories. Those moments are rare these days, because of the way games designers think things should be done now. There are fewer frustrating lows, but the euphoric highs are rarer too.

Edited by GrandpaUlrira at 00:53:48 29-06-2007
  • Trowel 29 Jun 2007 01:11:49 17,427 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best thing about Super Metroid was leaving the title sequence to run for a little while... then suddenly seeing Samus do THAT.

: O
  • IMadeThis 29 Jun 2007 01:14:30 1,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Best thing about Super Metroid was leaving the title sequence to run for a little while... then suddenly seeing Samus do THAT.

?

Damn you - can't remember! WHAT was THAT?
  • Trowel 29 Jun 2007 01:19:10 17,427 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No spoiler for this one from me - the impact can only be appreciated when seeing it on the title sequence.

Best Hidden Video Game Move Ever!
  • Telepathic.Geometry 29 Jun 2007 01:21:24 11,263 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn you bastards to hell!!! It's hard enough living your whole life without playing Super Metroid without having a load of peopl splooging on the net about it all of the time. :'(

Someone tell me it's shit, just to get me through the night... Soo cold! /hugs self

• GrandpaUlrira 29 Jun 2007 01:23:36 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trowel wrote:

I wanted to know what THAT was too. Then I youtubed for it, and found a cool video of Metroid Prime remade in 2D.
  • IMadeThis 29 Jun 2007 01:32:04 1,036 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm. Video playback blocked at work, so Interesting Mark will have to look after this thread for me to check when I'm at home later.
  • Kay 29 Jun 2007 09:10:53 17,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you leave it on the title screen it shows a few clips of Samus doing some cool special moves with the beam/bomb combos, some of which I never did work out how to do.

Time for me to replay the game soon too, haven't played it properly for about 10 years... although I've had a few quick goes and done the opening section every now and then. :)

K
  • Goban 29 Jun 2007 09:26:22 9,051 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I may have been drunk that year.

/wishes he'd had a sober moment to enjoy Metroid
  • fergal_oc 29 Jun 2007 09:33:00 2,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I lost so many hours of sleep because of this game, loved the big fat red box. Was so proud of myself when I finally finished it at 4 am one summer morning.
  • Razz 29 Jun 2007 11:23:23 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IMadeThis wrote:
    Trowel wrote:

?

Damn you - can't remember! WHAT was THAT?
    Eh? Are you talking about that shoulder charge through the air? What move was that? I don't remember finding that move furing the first play through, wait acutally I think you need that move to progress. I can't remember.

• ProfessorLesser 29 Jun 2007 11:57:20 19,352 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is only one place where you need to be able to 'shinespark' like that, and it's where you learn it.
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    Bloody hell, Prof. That is one hell of a start. Did you ever think that all games were going to be as good as those three? What was the game that opened your eyes to the cruel world?
    Oh, I had played other things... some SNES games and before then some Amiga and Spectrum stuff that's really all a vague blur... but those three were the first ones I personally owned and played properly. I think Aladdin on the SNES was way back then too...and I suppose technically the SNES will have come with Mario Allstars. Hm, ok, my chronology is perhaps a bit confused :-)

The thing that slightly broke the GBA Metroids for me (as awesome as they were) was the hand-holding. It took away from the experience of exploration, for me.
    Definitely. That and the heavily-enforced narrative made Fusion fall well short for me. At least Zero Mission felt right. Or more right.

Trying to think of my best Super Metroid moments - well like I've already said the game was released when I was still highly impressionable, so I hold the whole game in a very high reverence, and everything about it has its own associated feeling or memory, but the bits I liked were where you discovered something slightly out of the ordinary. The one off parts that just broke the tone a little bit - the morph ball jump section in Maridia, and the weird topsy-turvy burrowing creature in the same location. As well as the blissfully haunting music there. The whole area was just weird, and perfectly out of synch with the rest of the game.

I also liked discovering exactly how useful wall jump can be once you've mastered it :-)
  • Trowel 29 Jun 2007 23:08:38 17,427 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THAT move - bottom of page, Energy Recharge.

I'm off to Peru for a month - hopefully you'll have all finished Super Metroid by the time I'm back... Enjoy!
  • TwistidChimp 29 Jun 2007 23:46:50 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've still never played this. And yet I love metroid/castlevania style games and have a snes collecting dust in my cupboard.

Should I ?

(stupidist question ever perhaps)
  • Razz 30 Jun 2007 00:18:11 60,754 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    THAT move - bottom of page, Energy Recharge.

I'm off to Peru for a month - hopefully you'll have all finished Super Metroid by the time I'm back... Enjoy!
    OMFG! I'v never seen that move in my entire life. :o :o :o :o :o

WTF!!!!!!!! :D

• GrandpaUlrira 30 Jun 2007 00:55:51 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, that. I remember knowing about it from Official Nintendo Magazine, God help me, but that and the charge bombs were not much use. However, the super jump was useful, and the wall jump... aaaargh! It was so frustrating on Super Metroid. I was glad that they fixed that a little on the GBA Metroids, to pander to incompetents like me.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous