Civilization Revolution

• Page

of 35 First / Last

Previous
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Jun 2007 13:30:18 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New!

[code]2K Announces Civilization® RevolutionTM – Sid Meier's First Game for Next Generation Consoles

Legendary designer Sid Meier builds the Civilization® experience from the ground up for consoles

Windsor, England – June 28, 2007 – 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it will publish Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, the first next generation game designed by world famous game designer Sid Meier. Slated for a spring 2008 release for next generation consoles and handhelds, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is being developed by Firaxis Games™, 2K’s world-renowned development studio.

Sid Meier put computer gaming on the map when he delivered Civilization® to the gaming world, launching the “God Game” genre and creating one of the most award-winning and addictive strategy series of all time, including Sid Meier’s Civilization IV™, the Gamespy and GameSpot 2005 Game of the Year. Driven by sheer passion for the game concept, Meier is now handcrafting a brand-new Civilization experience designed and built from scratch for next gen consoles and handhelds.

“Civilization Revolution is the game I’ve always wanted to make!” said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. “We are excited to take advantage of the power of next generation consoles and the ingenuity of handhelds, to create a great and unique strategy game for newcomers to the series, as well as the millions of fans around the world who enjoy Civilization on the PC.”

In Civilization, players strive to become ruler of the world by establishing and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the space age - waging war, conducting diplomacy, discovering technologies, going head-to-head with some of history’s greatest leaders, and building the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is a watershed game, offering players a chance to experience the epic empire-building world of Civilization in an all new accessible, visually immersive, and action-packed world specifically designed for the console and handheld gamer. Delivering Civilization’s renowned epic single-player campaigns featuring vast re-playability and unmatched addictive gameplay as well as revolutionary features like real-time interaction with leaders and advisors, extensive multiplayer capabilities and integrated video and voice chat, it will completely transport the Civilization series to a level of gameplay that fans have never seen before.

“Civilization is one of the world’s top selling PC game series with more than 8 million units sold, and continues to be recognized as one of the greatest franchises ever created,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “We are excited to have Sid Meier getting back to his roots as the game’s Lead Designer to carry on its legacy with Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution.”

Some of the key features that will resonate with fans of strategy games and the Civilization franchise include 16 civilizations to master and lead to victory, an array of famous historical leaders to play as or compete against, and accessible maps and streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action. In online multiplayer mode, players will compete for world conquest and glory among their peers as they battle in teams, head-to-head or epic free-for-all matches. In addition, auto-matching, ranked games, leaderboards, achievements, downloadable extra content and integrated video and voice chat make the online play more versatile and fun than any previous version of Civilization and will allow players to see where they stand against the competition. Finally, the position of ruler of the world can be settled online.

Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution will be released in spring 2008 for next generation consoles and handhelds. For more information please visit http://www.civilization.com/.[/code]
  • repairmanjack 28 Jun 2007 13:33:12 6,012 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds great.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2007 13:33:47
    Nice. Just got the Chronicles (Ł13 in the Amazon sale) which is impressing me no end. The lack of sleep doesn't help me though...

"Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution will be released in spring 2008 for next generation consoles and handhelds."

Even nicer.

Edited by disussedgenius at 13:34:08 28-06-2007
  • Deleted user 28 June 2007 13:34:44
    /does a little jig

Hang on, though. Won't this just be a streamlined (ie. remove all the strategy) version?

/stops dancing

/ponders
  • itamae 28 Jun 2007 13:35:41 9,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I guess Peter Molyneux will be surprised to hear that Sid Meier launched the God game genre. Bloody hell, those press releases are always so full of excited people.

/gets cup of tea
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jun 2007 13:36:10 35,508 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "action-packed", hm.
  • pauleyc 28 Jun 2007 13:36:13 4,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, "Civilization: The Deathmatch" version then. Expressions like "streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action" or "strategy game for newcomers to the series" don't exactly sound reassuring. Still, a handheld version might be good.

What an awful press release.
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Jun 2007 13:37:33 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like it'll be Civilization: First Person Shooter.

Find new and exciting countries, then shoot 'em to shit with great big guns! Aiieee!
  • pauleyc 28 Jun 2007 13:41:10 4,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sign of the times. The CD revolution had FMV games, the current "next-gen" approach suggests that ADHD is required.
  • itamae 28 Jun 2007 13:41:22 9,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds suspiciously like an RTS to me. Which means it's a dead duck as far as I'm concerned.
  • WrongShui 28 Jun 2007 13:42:43 6,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does it come with screaming kids shouting "MY SPEAR MAN PWNED YOUR WARRIOR BITCH! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT RAZING?!?!"

If so then im seriously tempted.

In other news Beyond the Sword for Civ4 comes out soon! Yay!
  • Razz 28 Jun 2007 13:46:01 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Definitely one for us PC bots. I don't see this selling to the lower form of life that is console only gamers. I don't see them having the patience for Civ, that's if they even understand the basic mehanics of the game in the first place. :p

Edited by Razz at 13:47:31 28-06-2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Genji 28 Jun 2007 13:49:18 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'd be nice to have a Civ 2 port on the DS, though.

Mmmmmm
  • WrongShui 28 Jun 2007 13:49:42 6,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im sure they could implement some kind of mad reflex twitching mechanism, say maybe some sort of God of War button sequence for combat, with a 600 button mash quickly in time for a longbow man to beat modern armour.

Edited by WrongShui at 13:57:52 28-06-2007
  • Genji 28 Jun 2007 13:51:01 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phalanx v Battleship battle FTUW.

The Phalanx wins, that is.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jun 2007 13:52:56 35,508 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Diplomacy-minigames straight out of Bethesda's school of AI interaction design, I say!

/flirts with Stalin till the colours match
  • pauleyc 28 Jun 2007 13:53:21 4,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    Im sure they could implement some kind of mad reflect twitching mechanism, say maybe some sort of God of War button sequence for combat, with a 600 button mash quickly in time for a longbow man to beat modern armour.
    Real-time arcade combat like the auctions in MULE. It's the only way for elite Phalanx units to beat novice tanks!

edit: :-D @ Genji

Edited by pauleyc at 13:55:12 28-06-2007
  • Tonka 28 Jun 2007 13:53:48 20,222 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dumbed down PCports FTW!
    /is casual

But fuck this shit. I want Project O

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Genji 28 Jun 2007 13:54:00 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They should make diplomacy like that persuasion minigame in Oblivion.

...actually, no they shouldn't.

EDIT: Oh, UncleLou already said it. :-(

Edited by Genji at 13:54:52 28-06-2007
  • Furbs 28 Jun 2007 13:54:40 45,699 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do people making stereotypes about a group of gamers based on what platform they use also get annoyed by the non-gaming members of society seeing us all as childish geeks?

Its Sid Meier, has he ever carried across one of his IP's to a console and it turn out shit? Civ2, Sims (whatever your feelings), Pirates all seemed to turn out ok.

Oh and I personally wouldnt mind a little dumbing down back the Civ2 days. Civ4 went way too far over my head to be fun for me.
  • Genji 28 Jun 2007 13:56:04 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Oh and I personally wouldnt mind a little dumbing down back the Civ2 days. Civ4 went way too far over my head to be fun for me.
    +1

I actually was being serious about wanting a port for the DS. I'll never have to play another game again.
  • Razz 28 Jun 2007 13:56:05 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sims? Eh? Wasn't that made by Wil Wright?

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Furbs 28 Jun 2007 13:57:10 45,699 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Sims? Eh? Wasn't that made by Wil Wright?

Ooops.
    /leaves thread quietly.
  • pauleyc 28 Jun 2007 13:57:25 4,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Its Sid Meier, has he ever carried across one of his IP's to a console and it turn out shit? Civ2, Sims (whatever your feelings), Pirates all seemed to turn out ok.
    Fair play with Pirates! (although that had a slightly different gameplay - sword duels?) but was there ever a console version of Civ2?

edit: Oh, there was a PlayStation port!

Edited by pauleyc at 13:58:35 28-06-2007
  • Genji 28 Jun 2007 13:58:02 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They ported Civ to the SNES, I seem to recall.
  • Furbs 28 Jun 2007 13:58:47 45,699 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah on the Playstation. We sold an absolute shedload of it at Game and I dont remember getting too many back as people knew what they were buying. Being turn based it worked ok (ish) with the pad.

Sword duels were in the original Pirates games btw :)

Edited by Furbs at 13:59:50 28-06-2007
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jun 2007 13:59:09 35,508 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, but wasn't that a normal port?

If this hysterical press release is anything to go by, it'll be something else entirely.
  • WrongShui 28 Jun 2007 13:59:54 6,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    Furbs wrote:
    Fair play with Pirates! (although that had a slightly different gameplay - sword duels?) but was there ever a console version of Civ2?

edit: Oh, there was a PlayStation port!

Edited by pauleyc at 13:58:35 28-06-2007

And it was good too.

What Lou said.
  • Furbs 28 Jun 2007 14:02:38 45,699 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yeah, but wasn't that a normal port?

If this hysterical press release is anything to go by, it'll be something else entirely.
    Even more reason to be optimistic then? Rather than "oh it'll be shit and totally dumbed down aimed at the Halolz/NFS generation".

I wonder if Meier was called Shinzo Meiermoto if people might be a bit less cynical? The guy has an amazing track record. He knows how to make good games, and I'm speaking as someone who doesnt play too many of them, rather than a Meier fanboy.
  • Lutz 28 Jun 2007 14:03:52 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sid Meiers Pirates! Port from PC to xbox wasn't too hot. There was a few features dropped (Buying cannons for one. I mean, how can you have a pirate game and not be able to buy cannons FFS?!) and the game itself had mroe thana few flaws that needed tweaking out.

Bring back Civ 2 BTW.
  • Page

of 35 First / Last

Previous