Gaming apathy (or just getting bored with it all). Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• morriss 4 Sep 2010 13:15:31 71,034 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only game I'm excited about it Fable 3. Not even Reach. I'll play Reach, sure. But sell it after I've done the campaign (hopefully also co-op with some EG'ers).
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 13:20:11 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I suppose it's because we're well in to this gen and it's all sequels and nothing really suprises me anymore.

• morriss 4 Sep 2010 13:20:58 71,034 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This gen, last gen and the gen before that. We've played it all before, innit.
  • generica 4 Sep 2010 13:26:25 4,273 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It isn't really the same thing but I feel really apathetic towards new games. Or new consoles even. I haven't bought a new one since the PS2, rather shockingly, for someone who posts on a gaming site. I think partly this is because gaming is such an expensive hobby, and also because I play games at a much slower rate than they are released which means I have a cheap back catalogue of fantastic games still to play.

Mainly though I think I don't like the look of new games. They are too shiny. I'm stuck in a nostalgic world before polygon shading and motion blur, when everything was charmingly blocky. I think I have a list of about thirty or so games which I'd like to play before I move on.
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 13:28:17 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What else is there?

I'm buying games that appeal to me that come out. Not neccesarily ones that are 10/10 but I can tell what's going to be a rubbish game.

I try and get into XBLA/PSN games and Indie games but the same applies. I might play it once for a couple of hours, might even kind of enjoy it but it always feels like a chore and I never go back to it.

I just want to enjoy games again :(. Kills those boring hours between going out/work
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 13:35:37
    Why not play some older games you've missed from previous generations, that's 75% of my gaming right there.
  • redcrayon 4 Sep 2010 13:43:04 4,558 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Why not play some older games you've missed from previous generations, that's 75% of my gaming right there.

This. I'm still catching up with the SNES games I couldn't afford in the early 90s.
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 13:43:56 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

My biggest shame is that I'm a bit of a graphics whore. It annoys me if a games graphics aren't that good. I've even tried doing that in fairness, Its the same story. Start playing it and play it for a couple of hours before giving up and never playing again. I've done this with both Beyond good and Evil and SOTC.

/ashamed
  • Pastici 4 Sep 2010 13:45:34 450 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Understandable Captain_Peach, 2D games hold up quite well but 3D Polygon models age pretty quick.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 13:45:43
    You're fucked then :D
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 13:47:11 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :'(

Might just go and spend a fuck load of money on Mafia 2 in the hope I might like it.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 13:50:19
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:

My biggest shame is that I'm a bit of a graphics whore. It annoys me if a games graphics aren't that good. I've even tried doing that in fairness, Its the same story. Start playing it and play it for a couple of hours before giving up and never playing again. I've done this with both Beyond good and Evil and SOTC.

/ashamed
    Exactly the same. I have a nice big shiny TV, I don't want to play old games on it. Saying that, I do enjoy retro games on the iPhone as the small screen does it justice.
  • lovely2cu 4 Sep 2010 14:04:42 1,194 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    Yeah I've got loads of games I want to play but I find playing them to be a chore.
    I don't play many games, most of them don't interest me due to how generic they often are. And yet, I still count gaming among my hobbies.

As I look at my stack of 360 games, I count only 6 of the buggers. 6, in 3 years of owning the console! But it's quality over quantity with me. I may not play many games, but I enjoy those that I play.

And since I only buy 1 or 2 games a year, I don't have to put myself under any pressure to complete them. If it takes a couple months, it takes a couple of months, I only play when I feel like it, weeks-long breaks between sessions are not uncommon for me.

Besides, Fifa online alone ensures that my Xbox gets regular usage, even if I played nothing else!
  • woodnotes 4 Sep 2010 14:08:01 4,929 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    I know noone likes people bumping old threads but..

I haven't enjoyed a game since Mass Effect 2 and haven't really been excited about a game since Halo 3.

I still like the idea of gaming but no games coming up excite me at all.

/doesn't really know why he's posting this

I think it's because 2010 is pretty dull.

I'm on the same page as you - Mass Effect 2 was the last game I really enjoyed. Since then I've struggled to get in to anything. In fact, since ME2, only Limbo and Alan Wake have hooked me in.

The very beginning of the year was interesting with Bayonetta and Heavy Rain, but I found God of War 3 to be dull as anything.

On the horizon, I just don't see anything of much interest either. In fact, I'm more interested in the Wii's line-up right now but I just won't go back to SD because I'm an HD whore.

You might want to try a postal game rental service for a bit. I love it - it means the games that don't hook me in just get sent back, and on the flip-side it means I get to try games that I otherwise probably wouldn't have bothered with. Demos often don't do games justice IMO - many times I haven't liked a demo but when I've tried the full game my opinion has completely changed. And vice versa of course ;)
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 14:10:58
    Why am i sat here with a cup of tea messing on the forums and surfing the web when I have a pile of unplayed games?????????

Do I hate gaming or have I moved on???? Sob sob sob
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 14:11:42
    Same here, although my pile of games consist of three games, so it ain't that bad.
  • lovely2cu 4 Sep 2010 14:22:07 1,194 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Same here, although my pile of games consist of three games, so it ain't that bad.
    Same, like I said above. I'm actually enjoying my gaming more these days, owning fewer games. I only play the one's I'm genuinely interested in, there's no 'pressure' to get through them, and with the advent of DLC, I can go back for second helpings after I'm through.

And the likes of Fifa and FM are perpetual anyway.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 14:23:43
    Recently I purchased a JAP 360 and imported a load of 2D imported Cave shooters off ebay and play asia.

They suit my pick up and play nature. All can be completed in 30 mins etc. But you can keep coming back to them for quick blasts.

I've been having a lot more fun as a result.

The problem is with modern gaming is that they require a lot of investment in terms of time. Gone are the Megadrive and SNES days of slotting in the cartridge and having a quick 10 min whirl. The though of having to put in another 2-3hrs ahift just to advance to the next section can be really off putting which is wny i guess most modern gamers look at the pile of games they have accumulated and just groan.
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 14:46:49 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm Just played the Mafia 2 demo and really enjoyed it.

I'm tempted to just flog the whole pile of games I have sitting around and just concentrate on playing that one game.

That way I've only got one thing to play anyway so I don't have to sit down and decide which game to even play before deciding I'd rather play another game.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 14:49:00
    \o/
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 15:11:21 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't be at all suprised when I post on here tomorrow saying I'm bored again ;)
  • Deleted user 4 September 2010 15:28:23
    I only start a new game when I finish the current one.

The problem is with modern gaming is that they require a lot of investment in terms of time.
    That's interresting, and true, most people don't want to commit to a game, don't want to spend that much time with a game. But..., if a game is short of 50 hours they whine because there's no value for money - even if it had 50 hours they would never complete it. It's the internet, I guess.
    Going to play Mafia II, like for the whole afternoon, it's too damn hot.
  • Captain_Peach 4 Sep 2010 16:11:43 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My trouble is that I never complete games. I just play them until something better comes along but no more.

Also I'm never buying a really long game again. 10-12 hours is the perfect length for a game IMO.
  • Vyggo 4 Sep 2010 17:06:57 445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't understand people that say all games need at least an hour to get into. There are tons of games that are quick to get into. Yeah, you might not want to play a rpg, but a racing game, a sports game, most xbla/psn games are perfectly suitable for a short stint.

And seriously, I really don't think people are being honest when they say they only have 15 minutes a day to play games due to their busy schedule. I really pitty you then, I have a full time job, 3 kids and I recently immigrated to another country. I still find plenty of time to play a game almost every day.

I bet those DS people in this thread play those casual games for at least on hour (probably lots more) instead of just 15 minutes.

Oh, and my opinion is that we never had it this good gaming-wise. We get AAA blockbusters, but we also get tons of indy and arcade games and everything in between. There is tons of innovative games coming out all the time, but because of the huge amount of games releasing it takes more time to find them.

• danathjo 4 Sep 2010 17:14:23 7,403 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's helped me lately is selling all the games which I can't see myself playing again, but actually being really ruthless with it.

I don't feel as much pressure to play 'everything' any more and bringing it back to simpler times to fully appreciate a smaller pile instead of feeling all 'okay, I need to just get through and finish this, then start that one, then get back to this one and actually finish it' etc. To much of a chore with all the pressure to finish everything.

Just my 2 cents

edit: or what several people have already said
    /shrug
  • Page

of 6 First / Last