Gaming apathy (or just getting bored with it all). Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • PenguinJim 6 Sep 2010 01:34:01 5,452 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    My problem is that when games hit the 20 mark in the sales something goes off in my head and I have to buy them. Hence why i have a massive pile of games unfinished and unstarted.
    Try waiting until they hit 10 instead, as finding console games cheaper than that usually takes some effort, and you won't be kicking yourself when you see one of your (still unplayed) games 10 cheaper on a shop shelf.

Despite some people's claims that all high street shop games cost 40, already this year FFXIII and Mass Effect 2 on 360 have been 5 and 10 respectively (from high street shops).

One thing I enjoy about gaming is the bargain-hunting. Getting a surprisingly decent game with some originality and coolness for 2.50 feels full of win (The Darkness, I'm looking at you, despite your amazingly ugly and unlikeable protagonist).
  • whoyouknow 6 Sep 2010 08:30:07 163 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    espibara wrote:
    My problem is that when games hit the 20 mark in the sales something goes off in my head and I have to buy them. Hence why i have a massive pile of games unfinished and unstarted.
    Try waiting until they hit 10 instead, as finding console games cheaper than that usually takes some effort, and you won't be kicking yourself when you see one of your (still unplayed) games 10 cheaper on a shop shelf.

Despite some people's claims that all high street shop games cost 40, already this year FFXIII and Mass Effect 2 on 360 have been 5 and 10 respectively (from high street shops).

One thing I enjoy about gaming is the bargain-hunting. Getting a surprisingly decent game with some originality and coolness for 2.50 feels full of win (The Darkness, I'm looking at you, despite your amazingly ugly and unlikeable protagonist).
    Word. Whenever I get an absolutely belting title for peanuts, I feel like I have beaten the system somehow.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • quadfather 17 Jan 2011 14:24:59 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    to the OP.

Personally -

The older you get, the more "used-to" you get of seeing similar games, and because of this, you simply can't be arsed to put the energy in like you used to. They don't seem so fresh or groundbreaking like they used to.

I couldn't stop playing Doom when it first came out to such a degree it was bordering ridiculous. I was about 20-odd at the time.

Then came all the decent rpg's that needed hours and hours and hours of time - again, no problem.

Now, at 38, I buy a new game, start to go through it, and think, "fucks sake, I can't be arsed", and ironically, put something simple on. Er, like Doom.

But it comes and goes I guess.

One thing I always end up doing is replaying old games, over and over. I've got a wii, ps3, xbox and a pc, and 9 out of ten times nowadays, I'll be on the pc. Playing diablo II. Or painkiller.

Or doom

Not that it's completely futile - I was extremely pleasantly surprised by Unchartered II for example, so there's the odd gem that fires you up now and again

Go to the pub for a while and come back later.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Terrorist 17 Jan 2011 14:27:09 198 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nooo ! Don't cross over to the dark side ...
  • Comabob 31 Jan 2011 17:05:06 32 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Amazingly enough - i started a new thread for this thinking i was the only one...

So ill repost it here.

Is anybody else tired of the same old stuff in Gaming?

For eg - ive been gaming for just under 20 years now (28 now) , ive played through a shitload of 360 games (shlo777 is my GT) and played through a few ps3 games, owned a Wii, tried kinect and the PS3 Move etc

But other than a SMALL number of games this gen - im yet to see anything truly new or exciting ste to release in the next year or so...

Has gaming always been like this? In each Gen are there ALWAYS only a few actual New ideas and the rest just rehashes, sequels and "me too!" games? Worst of all the games are getting shorter too! AM i only noticing it now?

See because of my profession - i wok from home and used to absolutely love the prospect of being able to stay at home and play games for the majority of the day. But nowadays - i just find it depressing playing the same old shit again and again.

Call me cynical but how many ACTUAL original Ideas/Games get made anymore? Mirrors Edge is the only thing i can honestly think of at the moment - but i know there cant be many...

So whats the answer? Are there original great looking games just over the horizon i havent heard about yet? Are we nearing the end of a hardware cycle and THATS why the games are winding down?

I dont know whats happened but amazingly despite the leaps forward that have been made in graphics, technology, hardware, Live functionality, Downloadable games etc etc

This is the first generation of consoles that i am actually starting to question my beloved pastime.

I mean - if your primary hobby of the past 20 years no longer holds your interest? Well - thats a little depressing to think about.

Im curious - am i the only gamer to feel this way this gen? Am i thinking too much into it? Am i playing games the wrong way?
  • Dirtbox 31 Jan 2011 17:15:33 76,329 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That was well shit, I don't think your thread should have been locked at all.

But yeah get a PC and look into some indy titles. Tons of original, free and fresh stuff to be had. Fuck consoles, you're just begging for the safe bet cash cows with that crap.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Comabob 31 Jan 2011 17:23:49 32 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

But yeah get a PC and look into some indy titles. Tons of original, free and fresh shit to be had. Fuck consoles, you're lining yourself up for the safe bet cash cows with that crap.

Valid point - but i STARTED on the PC.

I still use my laptop for stuff like Minecraft, Octodad and i stil play my collectoin of old Black Ilse Rpgs occasionally on it. But i look at the gaming rigs you can get these days and its just too much for me to invest in- especially as i could very well ind myself in the exact same situation 6 months later.

Last New PC game i bought was i think STALKER a few years back...

• saintedd 31 Jan 2011 17:28:11 253 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Poorandugly wrote:
    Yeah, I think I'm pretty much on the same page as you are, although I have been denying it for a while and bought a lot of games in the hope that at least one of them would suck me in. But...nothing.

I have been thinking about what games I have loved the most, and why, and for me it has always been the story and beeing sucked into another world. So instead I have done a lot of reading lately, and right now that's excactly what I need. Great story sections all the time, and no annoying boss battles ftw!

This for me too, have loads of games i think i want just waiting to be played but can never be bothered to spend the time on them. But still i buy them in hope rather than expectation.
  • MetalDog 31 Jan 2011 17:31:26 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Take a break. Learn some new skill as a new passtime. Read some books. Do all the things you felt slightly guilty about not doing during gaming binges.

The brain loves new things - feed it some =) Then there will come a day probably not too far down the line where you really fancy some gaming. It's like cake - awesome to eat until you reach the point where every mouthful just tastes the same and too sweet and you might be sick. Go eat some savory for a while and your taste for cake will return.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• TOOTR 31 Jan 2011 17:34:45 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The cake is a lie.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 31 Jan 2011 17:43:46 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh come on......everyone was thinking it!

I have felt slightly jaded of late. I have been gaming for about 34 years. I think it's because I have always wanted to try most of the games coming out but recently

1) yeah - new ip is few and far between
    2) there are just SO many 'decent' (and possibly but probably not 'outstanding') games coming out it's impossible to keep up

Having spent about 34 years watching movies a similar thing has happened. And due to the much shorter duration I have watched lord knows how many more movies than I've played games. And I've played A LOT of games.

For example I just will not even bother to watch 90% of so called comedies these days, and if I see one more 'car chase' or good guy bad guy shoot out at the end of the film I will despair and end it all.

Of course there are always a young new generation who haven't experienced the sheer volume of media I have so Hollywood will always make it's money on the dumb blockbuster and EA will always rope some in with it's latest sports sequel.

It's taken me longer to jump off the roundabout re: games than movies and though I (believe) I will always enjoy playing them. I'm not going to rush out and buy the latest game every 5 mins. I'm going to take my time.

After all we only have a certain amount of it so it's Quality not quantity that will now win out for me.

/plays Atari 2600 E.T cartridge

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Deleted user 31 January 2011 17:52:33
    The essential trait for the human race is adaptiveness.

For some reason, you have adapted to be less interested in games. Perhaps you have something else that you should be doing?
  • Dirtbox 31 Jan 2011 17:53:22 76,329 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Comabob wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

But yeah get a PC and look into some indy titles. Tons of original, free and fresh shit to be had. Fuck consoles, you're lining yourself up for the safe bet cash cows with that crap.

Valid point - but i STARTED on the PC.

I still use my laptop for stuff like Minecraft, Octodad and i stil play my collectoin of old Black Ilse Rpgs occasionally on it. But i look at the gaming rigs you can get these days and its just too much for me to invest in- especially as i could very well ind myself in the exact same situation 6 months later.

Last New PC game i bought was i think STALKER a few years back...

A current gaming PC will set you back about 400 and last you for 5 years of high end gaming with a few minor upgrades along the way, plug it into your TV and use a controller if you like. I'm not saying you should, I'm just pointing out that your argument is flawed.

Your laptop is probably more than capable of doing the self same thing with your TV and a controller so long as you don't play taxing games. Like I said, there are more than enough fun, interesting and original games for free knocking around at places like this or this to keep you entertained forever.

• Deleted user 31 January 2011 18:00:14
    Now that the variety and diversity of console gaming is being wiped out, PC is the way to go at both ends of the creative and tech spectrum.

It really is going to be worth the trouble finding out how to make the most of the platform in the years ahead.
  • Comabob 31 Jan 2011 18:13:22 32 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wouldnt say my argument is flawed - 400pound is ALOT of money when you have a wife and babyboy to feed - and a second child on the way.

Plus - i have my wifes addiction to Facebook games to work around when i want to use the laptop.

Cheers for the links though - having a browse now.

• Dirtbox 31 Jan 2011 18:22:31 76,329 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's why I said to use your laptop. The 400 example is just pointing out that a gaming PC doesn't cost the earth anymore. Relatively speaking.

• mal 31 Jan 2011 18:27:13 21,949 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had more fun playing GBA and DS games in the past six months than anything new. I'm currently playing an arcade game from 1989 and it's awesome!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• PhoenixFlames 20 Mar 2011 21:27:59 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wish I got the same thrill from games I did when I was a kid. I remember it being really awesome :-(

Random musing maybe...

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• DiamondIce 20 Mar 2011 21:30:32 1,185 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames

Same here. Playing Super Nintendo games like Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Axelay, F-Zero was magical.

I enjoy gaming but I do feel jaded and spend most time complaining about elements of each game I play.

FLOPS! RAM!

• PhoenixFlames 20 Mar 2011 21:37:55 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DiamondIce wrote:
    @PhoenixFlames

Same here. Playing Super Nintendo games like Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Axelay, F-Zero was magical.

I enjoy gaming but I do feel jaded and spend most time complaining about elements of each game I play.

I think it is a combination of imagination, innocence, lack of responsibilities, amount of free time and a whole host of other things that makes gaming good for kids.

Oh well...

PSN - phoenix1flames

• DiamondIce 20 Mar 2011 21:43:58 1,185 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's been going for a while.

You sound more of a miserable git than I do. Stop complaining about us complaining.

FLOPS! RAM!

• PhoenixFlames 20 Mar 2011 21:47:18 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DiamondIce wrote:
    It's been going for a while.

You sound more of a miserable git than I do. Stop complaining about us complaining.

+1

I like complaining.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Carlo 20 Mar 2011 21:53:28 17,913 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beatwolf wrote:
    so tired of these threads. Stop whining. If you like to game then play some games. If not then go do something else. Easy as that
    This thread was posted in 2007. How can you be 'tired' of a thread used for 4 years plus?

PSN ID: Djini

• Trafford 20 Mar 2011 22:20:41 5,270 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He's kind of right though, take a hiatus.
    I barely touched games last year but cycled over 5000miles. I found cycling scratched a lot of the things I like in gaming. Like risks, inventory management and discovery.

This weekend I haven't left the bloody house,hooked badly on Shogun2.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next