Random rants that don't warrant their own threads Page 264

• Page

of 290 First / Last

• Chopsen 30 Jul 2013 16:47:12 15,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought a load of gubbins and software and hardware so I can hook my SLR to my telescope for astrophotography. Guess how many times I've actually taken a picture of something?

None.

I'm starting to wonder which will happen first: me getting a picture of Andromeda or the heat death of the universe.
  • Benno 30 Jul 2013 16:58:41 9,392 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    that is one sweet hobby though

/starts reading up on astrophotography
  • sport 30 Jul 2013 17:10:39 12,047 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe you'll get a picture of the mowgli way.
  • Psychotext 30 Jul 2013 18:32:45 52,802 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had heard he was looking for a chocolate treat, fluffy and light...
  • El_MUERkO 1 Aug 2013 10:43:29 16,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://boingboing.net/2013/07/30/meet-glass-lewis-and-co-the.html

And the Torys want our employment laws to be more like the US...

The craziest aspect of this is how many BoingBoing comments support his firing. Fucked Up.

Edited by El_MUERkO at 10:54:33 01-08-2013
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 15:12:05
    The firing is actually vaguely valid, to be honest. There's not an expectation to tip at food trucks (even with huge orders), just like there's not an expectation to tip when you get a to-go order from a restaurant - it would be polite to, sure, but not totally out of the social norm. So to then publicly bitch about (especially directly towards the company involved) is one of those "more than my job's worth" kind of moves. The guy even states himself that he knew he risked being fired over it.

No doubt that the company involved were dicks for whining to his boss and demanding a public apology, though. That's the real issue, not the tweet or the tipping or even the firing. But people have been fired in the UK for talking shit about their job on facebook, for instance. There's the infamous "omg my boss is a perv and I hate my job" "Hi! This is your boss. You're on probation, aren't you? Don't come in tomorrow" post. In fact, the whole situation is pretty similar to this - http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20128692-71/apple-reportedly-fires-employee-for-negative-facebook-post/
  • ronuds 1 Aug 2013 15:21:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are food truck employees paid wait-staff wages? Everyone expects a freakin' tip these days.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 15:27:06
    The whole tipping business is bullshit and totally puts me off going to America. If the government can't guarantee you a liveable wage it isn't my fucking fault. Feel bad enough not tipping/enough here but apparently you get hunted down over there. And the firing for ranting about customers on a public forum is like the most basic of hr expectations.

Edited by mowgli at 15:27:20 01-08-2013
  • Deckard1 1 Aug 2013 15:29:21 25,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tipping puts you off going to America? Living up to your Scotch heritage I see.

Called it

• w00t 1 Aug 2013 15:31:24 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My brother and I were chased into an airport in New York by a cab driver shouting for a tip. Stupidly, we assumed the signs all over the place stating $35 for a cab to the airport was the total fee.

As we literally had no money for a tip by this point after 2 weeks in the US, we had to keep running until he got bored.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• ronuds 1 Aug 2013 15:31:36 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HAHA - I've never been "hunted down" for not tipping... and I don't tip anyone! Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's certainly not something you have to go around worrying about.
  • graysonavich 1 Aug 2013 15:34:41 6,807 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    3rd world country packaged with 1st world shine and extra fries.

Disney Land helps though
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 15:57:47
    Can't say I've seen anyone being harassed for tips either. Especially if you pay with card you're usually long gone before they even pick up the bill, so it's not like you can't get away with it. Though I've only ever not tipped due to particularly bad service a couple of times, otherwise I'm reasonably generous with it. As far as I know, the aggressive tipping only goes on in touristy spots like NY and LA where they get a fuckload of people who come in and don't tip under the reasoning of being a foreigner who doesn't get it.

Tip culture basically exists to subsidise jobs and deals that wouldn't otherwise exist. It's why you can get a pretty decent restaurant meal big enough to cover dinner the next day in leftovers for little over ten bucks. In many ways it's crowdsourcing.
  • nickthegun 1 Aug 2013 16:05:02 55,912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went for a Thai meal a few weeks ago and the waitresses were old, miserable thai hags who virtually threw your food at you when they brought it to your table but they gave you a cheery SAWADEEEEEE on entrance, so they thought that was ok.

Anyway, when it came time to pay, I quite pointedly pressed NO when the card machine asked me if I would LIKE TO ADD GRATUITY.

The woman looked astonished and immediately went back over to her coven to complain about us in thai. They seemed unable to understand that you dont get tipped for being a miserable old fuckwad who treats customers like they are a chore.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 1 Aug 2013 16:06:11 55,912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, the first time if I was asked if I would LIKE TO ADD GRAVITY I accidentally tipped the server 3p.

He totally called it

• imamazed 1 Aug 2013 16:07:46 5,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I once pressed no to leaving a tip on card (I always insist on leaving cash tips) but before I could the waiter came up to me and repeatedly asked me "What was wrong sir?" "Were you disappointed?" "What could I have done" in a more and more desperate and aggressive tone.

Didn't leave a cash tip either.
  • TheSaint 1 Aug 2013 16:08:08 13,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The growing trend in restaurants over here to just add the tip to the bill is particularly annoying.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 16:09:22
    I'm trying to get into the habit of, if service and food is above what I expected. I will 10%. Partly because it is the only percentage I can work out on the spot. But I always feel just as cheap tipping that as I do not tipping anything at all.
  • nickthegun 1 Aug 2013 16:10:40 55,912 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing that annoys me is a mandatory service charge for large parties. Large parties mean that more people are taking up less space and needing less people to serve them, you wankers.

He totally called it

• ronuds 1 Aug 2013 16:11:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean, if you're going to go to another country, you might want to make yourself somewhat familiar with that country's etiquette. Cab drivers in NY expect to be tipped. Just walking around saying "well I didn't know!" isn't really a great excuse.

Sorry, w00t, but that's your own fault.
  • TheSaint 1 Aug 2013 16:11:47 13,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the US they tend to expect 15% with a meal and I don't generally have a problem paying that if the service was good. Especially as the food is so much cheaper to start with.
  • ronuds 1 Aug 2013 16:17:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I give 20% for good service and 10% for not-so good. Once or twice I've left nothing and I wasn't followed.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Aug 2013 16:19:16 36,299 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From my (admittedly limited) experience in eating at restaurants in the US the wait staff are generally a lot better. Friendlier, more helpful, more knowledgeable about their food and they'll check up on you beyond the begruding "is everything OK?" you get over here.

Plus it's cheaper to eat out over there, so I've never had any issue with tipping. Whereas I can count on my fingers the amount of times I've felt the need to tip anyone over here.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mikeck 1 Aug 2013 16:21:16 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tipping over here is a tricky beast (I hate mandatory service charges at restaurants) but I fully understand it in the US. They work for less basic wage, but the majority of servers deliver great service to ensure good tips.

Whenever I've been out to the US for work I've always tipped for good service (which has been 100% of my experiences over the past few years).
  • TheSaint 1 Aug 2013 16:21:58 13,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What are peoples thoughts on tipping at the hairdressers?

I can never decide if I should or not.
  • imamazed 1 Aug 2013 16:23:20 5,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tip at my hairdressers, but that's mostly because they charge 9 notes so it's easy to just pay a tenner and say "keep the change". Doesn't really feel like tipping, but still.
  • mal 1 Aug 2013 16:31:59 21,991 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you need to, you might find many service charges on your bill aren't actually mandatory. More than once I've needed to query this for abysmal service and then give them either a reduced tip or no tip at all.

Edit: I normally tip at the hairdressers. Bit of a pain as mine charges 10 quid, so you need to be packing nuggets.

Edited by mal at 16:33:43 01-08-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• henro_ben 1 Aug 2013 16:34:34 2,192 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't understand why he'd even expect a tip, he wasn't a waiter and it wasn't a restaurant.

It was a food van, why would anyone expect a tip for selling a sandwich? You don't tip the staff at McDonalds or whatever...
  • wogsy81 1 Aug 2013 16:35:48 608 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    What are peoples thoughts on tipping at the hairdressers?

I can never decide if I should or not.
    I always tip the hairdresser.
    You always gotta tip the hairdresser haven't ya.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Aug 2013 16:39:08 36,299 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just the tip.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 290 First / Last